Aug 30

Mega Dens Focuses on Media

In anticipation of the Mega Dens episode of Blog Cabin 2012, I am proud to present an exclusive vlog, which stars show host Chris Grundy and Anitra Mecadon. Learn more about this duo’s inspiration for furnishings and DIY treatments in the second-floor media room and game area.

Like what you see? Try our exclusive how-to projects (sliding barn door and reclaimed wood desk) from this episode and remember to tune in on Monday night to watch the full episode.

• Posted at 9:00 am on August 8, 2012

1. Good Morning everyone! The mega den is the ultimate family room, gathering together after a long day and being able to relax and enjoy each others company. I love the way old and new are reused into somthing very special. My boys love the nook and the challk board wall. They are planning family game night already. The youngest loves the loft area and the oldest won rock, paper, scissors for the nook. Kids , you gotta love them.

polarbears6cubs on September 3, 2012 at 6:16 am
  2. Happy Labor day everyone. Everything I have to say about this house is positive, just cant wait until we get to the end. LOL

ronsodattle on September 3, 2012 at 12:46 pm
  3. I have to say this is my favorite blog cabin so far, I even have my husband dreaming of moving to Maine. His biggest concern was out door sports like fishing, after reading about the land donated still being available to use he was totally on board :)

Penny on September 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm
    • I was wondering if the new owner will be permitted to utilize the donated land for hunting, fishing, etc. Where did you read that? I haven't found anything confirming this but it sounds GREAT to me. My hubby is obsessed with hunting and wants to live off the land more. This house will make it possible. Don't worry bloggers, we would give everyone a change to rent the home for their vacations next year while we work out moving! Sound good??? :-)

Sky on September 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm
    • This was covered at some length when the land was donated. The only use is for 'light recreation'. There's no hunting allowed; no firewood cutting or logging and no removal of flora or fauna. I emailed the MVLT about this and they said it's really only open for walking (dogs included) and fishing in the pond. No horse riding either. The next door neighbor also has land that's managed by the MVLT and he blogged that he allows some people to camp on his section of the trust land adjacent to the donated parcel. I hope this helps.

Clive on September 4, 2012 at 1:43 pm
    • Thanks Clive,

It's sad that the new owner will be paying taxes on a supposed "$700,000" home and only get to hunt on the 21 acres that are left to them. Living off the land makes more sense these days. I hope they adjust the taxes properly to make up for this loss. It seems if the new owner had been given the chance maybe they could have stipulated hunting and land usage privately as well as taken a nice tax deduction for the donation of the nearly 30 acres. How many of us can really afford to own 2 homes? It's gotta be either sold or lived in for the vast majority of us especially in this economy. At least light recreation is permitted. That's something! Either way I'd be proud to live there and make it my own. What a beautiful place.

Sky on September 4, 2012 at 10:09 pm
    • I'm not sure hunting on that land is allowed. It's zoned residential. Maybe a local can clarify that for us? People camp on the adjacent piece of conservation land and the size of those parcels would make it difficult to hunt with people walking through the woods very close by at any time.

The winner and new owner will not be taxed on the land donated to the MVLT as it's no longer part of the parcel that comes with the BC. If the winner received all 50 acres the tax would be higher on the prize value but I'm not sure it would add much to the resale value, if anything.

Agreed, the land is beautiful. And so is the house and there was a huge amount of effort and skill involved in the renovation. However, I have reservations about the practicality of the house for permanent occupancy. Some parts of it are just fantastic, others (IMHO) not so. I'm sure it can be made to work but there is just too much to do to make it comfortable for me and my family. However, it will change the winners life no matter what they do with it and that's a wonderful epitath to the Blog Cabin.

Clive on September 4, 2012 at 11:06 pm
  4. I wish we saw the loft in tonight's show. I'm wondering if it will be too hot or cold up there. I guess it can always be storage. I have the same wooden school bench that's over by the tv. I found mine at an auction just thought its cool they have one too.

JdInmd on September 3, 2012 at 10:08 pm
  5. I saw the Mega Den Special tonight and thought most of it was rushed and couldn't really keep up with everything they were doing because of "So many commercials" seem to have taken up most of the time.
    They mentioned the loft but nothing was shown, or the cozy nook, just a little of the office table and wood things for the wall and metal backing for the TV area, but everything seemed to be in disarray..maybe not well organized….I realize they had a lot to cover in a short period of time, but to me it was just bits and pieces throughout the show between commercials! Sorry, just my thoughts! I do Love the end results, but getting there was short and rushed…..Did anyone else feel that way???

Jennie/Florida on September 4, 2012 at 12:18 am
    • Jennie–I never like the editing at the end when they reveal the whole room–crazy angles and zooming too fast to see any details–all the design shows are like that. I do remember that some bloggers asked for a solar tube type skylight, and they did show that one had been installed-(-I guess near the reading nook ?)

I have the most trouble with mega den projects because so much gets built in–maybe at the reading nook end, someone might have preferred a couple of chairs and a table, and now it's so hard to change that–(same with the window seats, and closet shelving, in the 2011 mega den ). Changing furniture around requires tearing out built -ins. This year's entertainment center is cool, but maybe some bloggers want the space more open ?

LLColeman on September 4, 2012 at 3:18 am
    • Hi… LL, for the cozy nook area, they should have left that nice big window there to start with, it gave more natural light! A table and two chairs would have been a nice setting there..I'm not one for built-ins..I like furniture..I think DIY geared this Reno for a younger family with children in mind…Except when it came to the bathrooms on the first floor..So..bear with me…I was picturing a nice big Cookout with family, friends and neighbors on the back deck, patio and meadows..Kids running and playing everywhere, but then maybe two or three of the children have to go to the potty..Boys and girls….You know how they always wait til the last minute, well anyway, here they are needing to go, so now they are going to have to run from the deck to the foyer and up the stairs and will be lucky to make it to the B/room on time..the Master/bath is right off the deck and easy access, but if their are boys and girls, that will be a problem also. Too bad the winner will have to add a bathroom or two after winning a $700,000.00 home! With the Value they have put on this home and land, they should have at least 5 bathrooms in this home…I'm so puzzled as to where their thought process was!!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 4, 2012 at 12:20 pm
    • Interesting comment on the number of bathrooms needed. We live in a house on a lake. Our house is close to the BC in sq ft and we have 5 full bathrooms (3 beds). When we built we decided this was the minimum with family & friends needs, especially in summer when the kids are in and out of the lake all day. Speaking from experience the BC is short at least two bathrooms, maybe more. However, a simple solution would be to remove the laundry room and repalce it with a full bathroom. Convert the office (who has an office in a vacation home?) into another full bathroom and utilize some of the megaden space for a stacking washer/dryer. The gaming table can double for clothes folding. The foyer bathroom could have a utility sink if needed as there would be plenty of room.

While undertaking all this work I would replace the 'media nook' under the stairs with a coat closet. Now, where to put the cellar access stairs?? That's still a dilemma but maybe a trap door in that new closet would work. :) Oh and about another $100K. ;)

Clive on September 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm
    • I hate that camera zooming and zipping too. I keep trying to pause it so I can take a better look at things.

izzyguest on September 5, 2012 at 11:14 pm
    • I was surprised to see a toliet in the master bath. I hadn't been able to find any other pictures of it and thought maybe people in Maine didn't need one! Just kidding, I , too, was wanting to see the loft area and that was a major bummer for me. The days of my husband climbing a ladder to put things in the attic are coming to a close so I wanted to see how much space was going to go unused.

karen on September 4, 2012 at 10:31 am
    • Hi Karen, you made me laugh!!! I wanted to see the loft also but I guess it's a big secret and only the winner will get to see what they have done. I would use it for storing Christmas decorations and other seasonal things, since I don't see too much storage space anywhere else…

Jennie/Florida on September 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm
  6. Love everything about this blog cabin!

Noreen on September 4, 2012 at 1:02 am
  7. What an absolutely beautiful finished project!!! I have been following every detail since the project got started, and my husband and I are absolutely in love with this place!!! We have a special place in our hearts for Maine – journeyed there as part of our honeymoon (ten years ago this October)!!! – and have made several extended trips back over the years to the Bar Harbor area. We have driven through Waldoboro on those trips – love the coastline route! We have often dreamed of retiring there in a few years, in fact have gone as far as to contact real estate people for information. My husband is a forester in the state of Pennsylvania, and really enjoys the different landscape in Maine. This property there is amazing! We have been watching the Blog Cabin show and really appreciate the craftsmanship that everyone has demonstrated in putting the project together! Amazing!!!!

Lorrie on September 4, 2012 at 8:51 am
  8. The Mega Den is a wonderful addition to this Maine cabin, and my husband would love to add his hunting and fishing gear to it as soon as we receive the keys!
    I understand the past critical comments but also understand the unexpected structural expenses that had to come out of the budget first before the finishing touches. This coastal Maine cabin would make a great year round gentleman's farm with the addition of a truck and tractor and my green thumb. : )

BShejen on September 4, 2012 at 9:11 am
  9. I love every thing about the Blog Cabin. There is only one thing in the whole house I would chang… And that is the red dining room chairs! Every thing in the Blog Cabin Home is perfict!!! B)

asandmancan on September 4, 2012 at 12:35 pm
  10. I just watched the Mega Dens show, I did love the show, but agree with Jennie about it being rushed. There was four days of custom crafting edited down to 30 minutes. I wanted to see more of how they accomplished transforming this Amazing space. Us blog cabin lovers need more details!
    I have to say the electronics that went into this space are top notch. That's a 65" LED 3D smart TV. They installed a DISH Hopper, which is Amazing!! capable of storing 500 hours of HD TV, and record up to 6 shows at a time from 7:30p to 11:30p. For those of you with DVR that love the viewing time it saves, money saved on movie rentals, and the convience of watching your favorite programs on a schedule convient for you the DISH Hopper will be one beloved electronic. I agee wtih Anitra too about hiding those wires, which they did. STRONG work Mega Dens crew, Grundy, Victoria & Dylan, and another great show.

Mel on September 4, 2012 at 8:06 pm