Aug 30

Mega Dens Focuses on Media

In anticipation of the Mega Dens episode of Blog Cabin 2012, I am proud to present an exclusive vlog, which stars show host Chris Grundy and Anitra Mecadon. Learn more about this duo’s inspiration for furnishings and DIY treatments in the second-floor media room and game area.

Like what you see? Try our exclusive how-to projects (sliding barn door and reclaimed wood desk) from this episode and remember to tune in on Monday night to watch the full episode.

• Posted at 9:00 am on August 8, 2012

1. Hi all. The storm is gone from here and the lawn is still a bit swampy to walk on in sots. Soon the sand and sun will take care of that. We were lucky, no other way to put it. I guess that I used up all my luck dodging hurricanes so i don't have any left to win blog cavil..ha ha ha ha ha Hope that the folks on the gulf coast will be able to recover once again since they are saying that this may be worse than Katrina because of all the rain and storm surge. I have 2 friends living in that area who I hope evacuated north. Fall in Maine, what a pretty time of year. Mother nature is putting her plants to sleep for the winter, telling her critters to finish up gathering their winter food supply and find a safe place to hunker down. The hope for them is that in a few months mother nature will warm them and start the plants growing and the critters wandering more in search of their spring treats. The colors of spring are, in my mind, more inspiring than fall because they represent a re-birth another beginning feeding off the leftovers from the prior year's natural harvest and digestion process. Fall is pretty, winter is dull outside, but happy inside, spring is the awakening and summer is the season of the mosquito and DEET. By this time next year the new owners will be well settled into their new retreat. Whose idea was it to time this so they will be moving in on the verge of winter…good plan. Hope that everyone is enjoying the shorter days and looking forward to Labor Day and the celebration of puritan principles, hard work and success for those who choose to do so. Then there are the pumpkins, turkeys and cranberries along with the sumptuous sweet potatoes and butter and marshmallows. Stuffing and gravy. Diet? What diet? We need the extra fuel to survive the cold with the extra energy we will burn off(ha ha ha). We will exercise all winter and be ready for running in the spring so that we will look glorious on the deck, on the boat or on the beach. Hope that everyone stays safe this holiday weekend so that we can continue to try and overwhelm the server with all of our entries to win the BC or the UO or holy smoke both of them!!!

YankeeNuke on August 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm
    • Hi Frank….Glad your back…We missed your feedbacks and witty comments!!!

Jennie/Florida on August 30, 2012 at 8:40 pm
  2. Love the nook and the huge TV. Would like to install bookcases to left of office slider and on other wall too. Books are important references maybe under eaves in office too. Love the idea of an office. Need that. Will also love the game table as we play lots of games and that would be a great place! love the guttering edging too. And the chairs! Just a cushion and good to go for hours. Tractor seats surprisingly comfortable and good for posture so glad you did that too! All in all GREAT!

minitoni on August 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm
    • Agree 100%. Lots of Books require lots of shelves–a Maine pastime. I will be moving 4 barrel chairs from living room to game table and replacing them with large cushy sectional or sofa, loveseat and ottoman for comfort, spreading out to see view and more seating in living room; then the black metal chairs by game table will be placed where needed around house, possibly being given seat cushions too. I love, love that game table and area!B)^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 31, 2012 at 1:12 pm
  3. Mary, Thank you for briniging us another sneak peak! Anitra, Chris and the gang has brought us a wonderful space to relax and regroup aith family and friends. Although I love the sleeping nook, I think my favorite space is the game room. I can imagine placing cards, board games, or penny poker with old friends and new alike. Looking forward to seeing more!

bythebaydreamer on August 30, 2012 at 8:49 pm
  4. wow, I think this site not working 100 percent.

The project looks good so far,glad you all used the proper breathing regulators,with 100 years of paint who knows whats in that stuff,LEAD,mold etc…

maryPA on August 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm
  5. Can't wait to see the loft up close!

Nebraska on August 30, 2012 at 10:44 pm
    • …and you're teeny enough to climb up there and fit! :D My heart is still dancing for you!!! Just eat your heart out though to get back to a healthy weight–another milkshake, maybe?:*:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 31, 2012 at 12:50 pm
  6. Hi Blogger… just left a comment on last Thread if your interested in seeing the Kitchen episode again on TV!!!

Jennie/Florida on August 31, 2012 at 11:37 am
    • Sorry, that is Bloggers!

Jennie/Florida on August 31, 2012 at 12:45 pm
  7. Dearest Mary,
    It has been SO exciting to actually LOOK for your Blog updates NOW that the episodes are being released on Monday nights (by the way, sorry I could not check the blog earlier today because a friend came over this morning and other responsilibities hindered me from the time I allocated for the DIYnetwork today). Anyway, my husband is setting up our DVR-DVD recorder for the Monday episodes and let me tell you that Bath Crashers last Monday was AWESOME! Matt and Chris are also SO funny!. Well, REALLY anyway you look at it: be it the Josh/ Chris “combo” OR the Matt/ Chris “combo” and anyone/ Chris “combo” will inevitably equal laughter!!!! Well, I guess the common denominator for the laughter is then: GRUNDY, right? Jokes apart, I will then give an “Excellent Job Cheer” and an A++++++++… (thousand pluses) to Bath Crashers for sure. The master bath is outstanding and really I can’t wait to watch this coming episode of Mega Dens. All that I have seen about the Mega Dens so far is thrilling but it is really by watching each episode of this year’s cabin that all comes together, cause we can then actually SEE with our own eyes the DIY network EXPERTS with their hands ON each project as the project was actually being tackled and that is what really makes the difference!
    Well, Mary, thank you again for your faithful updates, for they keep us really “on the brink of blessings!!!!”
    Have a great weekend Mary and have a great weekend everyone!!!!

FLH on August 31, 2012 at 10:16 pm
  8. For all of you bloogies who have been on here for a while, have any of the locals or vacation visitors seen any evidence of Sasquatch on the property, especially around back of the barn. Some folks have been saying that he might use that sort of basement area as a winter refuge and was wondering if there was any indication that he was stockpiling food in there so that he/she could hunker down when it gets cold. It would be an ideal location for him because it has good cover from the road, good access to the heavily wooded Land trust area behind the barn. That gives him access to the pond for water and possibly fish, until it freezes over with thick ice. So if you have any ideas on how we could set up internet cameras or sound equipment to record that space they would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

YankeeNuke on August 31, 2012 at 11:00 pm
    • LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Love it xDxD

heaven-bound23 on September 1, 2012 at 10:34 am
    • AHA–bringing up that big, hairy guy again? HGTV is giving away a luxury high rise condo in Miami this summer ( enter now ! ) and it comes with a concierge / butler of sorts…could we train B.F. Squatch to drive guests around on a wagon ride, wash all the windows, run to the store, and cook breakfast ? I hope we can get him to go down to the river and take a bath…Squatches are not known for good hygiene. ;)

LLColeman on September 2, 2012 at 3:35 am
    • Probably would be good to teach him/her how to get into the hobbit door so that the basement could have some real use.

YankeeNuke on September 6, 2012 at 12:22 am
    • Would NOT enjoy those rising fumes…!!!o.0:@ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm
    • There is no basement access inside the house so it would probably be okay, a little fabreeze every morning, all set.

YankeeNuke on September 7, 2012 at 4:43 am
    • Hairy Handy Man….he would more likely tear the door off its hinges, LOL…^_^

LLColeman on September 8, 2012 at 4:34 am
    • Great idea, if the winner is clever enough to get him into the house, cleaned up and train him.:D

YankeeNuke on September 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm
  9. The list of disappointments seems to be growing. Powder room on first floor, interior basement access, attic storage space, Wart closet in foyer, parking near the house, work needed to make barn really functional, location of BBQ grill on deck, distance of hot tub from Master Bedroom door(could be good or bad), no screened area outside(mosquito population in summer) and hobbit door to basement on outside. What did I overlook? What about good things? View of the water, overall excellent decorating, nook bed upstairs, good kitchen layout, good color combinations, new roof, potential for barn usage, plenty of room for victory garden, great deck, outside fireplace and patio, beautiful flooring, and ??????.

YankeeNuke on August 31, 2012 at 11:14 pm
    • Gutters? But what happened was the rotted out flooring in all the rooms sucked up all the money for this project. Plus I think we all got really spoiled with last years blog cabin where that house got the whole hog…lol.
      If they had kept the original blueprint of the home and worked with the house rather than against it… all would had been a super wow for all of us? But that is only my passing thought.

Hawkweed on September 1, 2012 at 12:07 am
    • I liked the original floor plan too, I didn't see anything wrong with the master suite set up. I liked the nice big closet and bathroom in the back, just switch the two rooms around and still could of had the view of the water front from the bathroom.
      I liked the kitchen with laundry room and mud room in the back there too. You could go out the back door to hang clothes on a clothes line and have nice fresh sheets for the beds, or bring food bags to kitchen from the mud room door, it would be close to the driveway (once you put it in). They could still open up the kitchen if they wanted too and leave the rest as it was. Even if they had to take up all the floors down there, they could just of put everything back the way it was but in a little better condition.
      But that's in the pass and everything is as it will be, I like it but like you said the original was so much better laid out. JMO
      What about a nice solid glass storm door for the front entry way, would help keep the cold out.

home_girl on September 4, 2012 at 11:36 am
    • Hi Home_girl, I went back and looked at the original floor plans and I liked them better too, with a powder/rm on first floor, had stairs to the basement. A kitchen door access to the outside. They could have rebuilt the original front entry staircase with a single staircase and not as steep and kept the same front entryway..I think the homey feeling and the quaintness of the old Circa1884 Cape farmhouse was taken away when they opened everything up!! I think they made some poor decisions and choices, but Of course it is still a beautiful home that anyone would be thrilled to own!! I really think they have over priced the home…If they had kept all the 51 acres, the price would be closer to that value maybe, but as it is now, I think that high price is just to draw more people in to watch DIY!!! That's their job!!… Just My Thoughts Rhonda, have a good evening!!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm
    • Good Morning YankeeNuke, I truly think the vision for this home was to never have it be a year round home for anyone I think the vision for it was more of a second home so therefore they didn't think of all those different issues that a year round resident might have. Your thoughts?? Either way I would be thrilled and so blessed to win this home and my imagination just runs away anytime I do think of the possibility of this being my home and that is part of the fun I think !! Love to dream :)

heaven-bound23 on September 1, 2012 at 10:43 am
    • I am guilty of looking at the Half Empty Glass, LOL….I love many things in the master bedroom (even if master bath needs re-working) and it is heaven to have a sliding door out to the deck and knock-out view. I really love the back patio area as it is. My favorite indoor space is the kitchen. I always adore an old barn, and this one is in good shape, to boot.

LLColeman on September 2, 2012 at 3:41 am
    • What is a "wart" closet??

Myra on September 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm
    • Myra, I think those using the term are referring to the blue narrow sliver of a closet in the entry/mudroom, which is unlikely to hold winter coats and jackets for the household…? ;) :S Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm
    • I knew they were refering to that closet. Just wondering why it is refered to as a "wart" closet? Where does the term come from? I lived in Northern Maine 13+ years and never heard of that term. It has always been a dream to retire in Maine on the coast. Wouldn't this be the best place for that dream to come true? :D

Myra on September 3, 2012 at 6:04 pm
    • I'm not sure of the origin of that word, however, I believe some bloggers used the same term on previous blog cabin closets, perhaps with tongue in cheek. ^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 3, 2012 at 6:47 pm
    • Kitty, you guessed exactly right ! That joke came from blogging on the 2010 Blog Cabin project in upstate New York. I do not even remember who the blogger was that coined the term, but we came to a concensus that we thought the closet was ugly and jutted out in the living room there, protruding like a wart.
      The closet in this 2012 home does not jut out as much, and is placed between 2 windows–but it was built a lot like the 2010 closet from similar materials. I just could not resist giving the closet the same nick name….;)

LLColeman on September 4, 2012 at 2:38 am
    • I remember that closet. I thought it looked like someone moved the "Out-house" IN.

Eugenia27 on September 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm
    • It is closet that is just stuck to the wall in the foyer that didn't seem to be well planned. They need a place for a closet and just stuck one where ever they could find a space.________________________________> From: notifications@intensedebatemail.com > To: frankrh77@live.com > Subject: Myra replied to your comment on Mega Dens Focuses on Media >

YankeeNuke on September 3, 2012 at 6:44 pm
    • WART CLOSET: Indiana – late 1910 through early 1920s / Hoosier/ regional slang term — a broom and mop closet. 1. A very small closet that sticks out from a wall, usually has one small shelf which can only hold a few small items used for cleaning and (just maybe) a couple of coats or jackets in case you need to go outside quickly. I.e. See, rustic closet. 2. refers to a closet smaller than a wardrobe closet.:) "The mop bucket is in the wart closet."

Hawkweed on September 3, 2012 at 9:05 pm
    • LOL! Hawkweed, thanks for the expert version. Sounds descriptive of what most of us have been trying to say–but explains it much better! He he :) ;) xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 3, 2012 at 10:13 pm
    • The 2010 Blog Cabin was in Bethel NY and it was the first year they renovated a Blog Cabin. The Builder was from up state NY, can't remember his name, I'm sure some of the bloggers can
      remember his name, but anyway, he was noted for installing these "closets" in all his Custom Homes. When they built that closet, it stuck out from the wall in the entry way and was facing the formal dining room. It looked so out of place and we all started calling it, the Wart closet… It was made of Cedar shingles and looked like an after thought. None of us bloggers liked it and begged for it to be removed, but the Builder totally ignored us…of course…I said if I had won that BC, the W/C would be moved down to the Old Red Barn and used for an Outhouse…all it needed was a cresent moon on the front door!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 3, 2012 at 11:17 pm
    • HAHAHA! That sounds Ugly! I don't remember those back then. Just finished watching the Mega Dens Reveal show with Anitra. I really love that area! Saw one little issue I will have to work with, should I be so lucky to win, since I have plans to put in a wide window/dormer in that room. The baseboard heat system runs along where I would need to open up the roof and add the window extension–just a hiccup, but must add to list. I can just see the wide far-off view of the river from upstairs, being able to watch stars, moon phases, storms, the hills–just a much more absorbing view from the nook…. I can picture it already! :D <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 3, 2012 at 11:42 pm
    • Kitty I saw the special too and left a comment on next page!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 4, 2012 at 12:30 am
    • Jennie–the poor guy's name was Chuck ! at least he blogged with us sometimes ! Remember joplays–she loved the wart closet !!

LLColeman on September 4, 2012 at 2:45 am
    • LL, Yes thank you, it was Chuck!! Dear old Chuck..He was certainly one of kind..Remember we begged for A/C because we knew it would be so hot in the summer time without A/C and also the "Potpourri" smell coming from the Horse stables would be overwhelming and he told us the only A/C we were getting to cool off was to open up the windows and have a tall glass of lemonade…He was all heart, that guy!! What was joplays reason for loving that Wart Closet?? Dear me!! I would have loved it too, if they had hauled it down to the old barn to use as an Outhouse!!! Would fit better in that setting and better usage. LL I went back to see the photo of the W/C in the entry way and dining room area…it looked so out of place and looked like someone just stuck it their as an thought..Only one good thing about the W/C, it probably smelled really good being it was covered with Cedar wood..We really had fun with that BC, didn't we? I wonder why the bloggers didn't continue on this great journey of the Blog Cabins…I bet a lot of them still drop in and to read the blogs and view the Reno- Cabins, don't you? Curiosity would get the best of me!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm
    • Chuck was a character for sure but he was also a great blogger and Vlogger. He blogged regularly both on this site and his own company website. Do you remember the Vlog he did from the roof of the house while it was still being built? He answered bloggers questions when he could and he never insulted bloggers by calling them names like 'Cyberstalking crazies' as both Knickerbocker and DIY management did this year. I would take another Chuck in New York second. But he can keep his WC. ;)

Sally on September 5, 2012 at 7:38 pm
    • Hi Sally you are so right, Chuck did blog with us and we appreciated him, he was very informative, but he was so against the BC having A/C just because none of his Custom homes had them, but we did find out that he had A/C in his home!!! The W/C was tacky.
      I was hurt and offended when Knickerblocker and DIY associates verbalized that the bloggers were "C/S crazies"…They should have done their homework before they made those comments…An apology was in order but didn't happen!!! DIY should have addressed this to the bloggers to let us know it was wrong, but that didn't happen either. That would have been the right thing to do….I guess just by dropping it, it would go away…But it hasn't because we still remember how we were treated!

Jennie/Florida on September 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm
    • I remember several locals blogged that there was no real need for AC in that area due to the cool mountain air. Different strokes I guess. Chuck lived quite a distance from the BC, At least he kept the basement access open inside the house and actually changed the design of the kitchen / mud room on a suggestion from a blogger. I guess the days of listening to bloggers suggestions are gone now. :(

Sally on September 6, 2012 at 12:37 am
    • Sally I liked Chuck too, and his vlogs. I bashed the 2010 WC myself, for me it was them using the exterior left over cedar shakes for the WC finish material. That thing really did look like an outhouse.

It's interesting to me how they installed the MItsubishi electric cooling and heating in the master bedroom & Mega Dens spaces this year, and not a whole house AC system with very little blogging complaint. I'm sure it was a donated product, and will benefit in sales from it's use in the BC., it seem to have kept the blog pacified too :)

Mel on September 6, 2012 at 5:47 am
    • Mel, I tried, tactfully as possible, to address the issue. Every summer, when i am in Maine, there are scorching days in which I want and need AC. I don't do heat well. It is a fact that lots of Mainers don' have AC, but commercially, most restaurants and stores do–interesting–somebody thinks the AC is needed besides me! I've been there plenty of times when the temps have been in the 80s at night–don't anyone tell me that's cool! AC it should be! :D JMHO Please??? xD:$o.0<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 6, 2012 at 11:53 am
    • Got it!! I suppose I could have looked it up but it is so much more fun to hear from others!! :D I'll save some space in my wart closet for when you come visit!! LOL

Myra on September 3, 2012 at 10:53 pm
    • Thanks! :D xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 3, 2012 at 11:43 pm
    • Wow, Hawkweed ! Who knew that was an actual term ?? I thought one of the bloggers made up the term when we were blogging about an ugly closet in the 2010 Blog Cabin–that one was supposed to hold fishing gear, but it looked like an outhouse had been plunked in the living room — LOL !
      Behold : http://www.diynetwork.com/blog-cabin/blog-cabin-2… see # 6 ( The room was otherwise lovely, but it did not have the views that 2012 BC does, I have to admit.)

LLColeman on September 4, 2012 at 2:43 am
    • Thanks everyone. You guys brought back to me a cherished memory. I was lucky to know my great grandmother. South Indiana. She had a "wart closet" in her living room near the stove in her old farmhouse. All she could get into that little closet was a winter/rain coat, her galoshes (love that word) and the rest of items were her mops and brooms, a feather duster hanging in the corner of the closet and a can of dutch girl power and a few old rags for clearning and a mop bucket. If she were alive today she would give us all a small laugh to know her old wart closet is still alive and well and kicking yet to this day and age in a home in Maine.:D

Hawkweed on September 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm
    • That's a special memory, Hawkweed–I know you cherish it. ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 4, 2012 at 7:27 pm
    • LLColeman I thought LilB came up with that name.
      The extra funny was the abbreviation WC ( water closet) it looked just like an outhouse with those cedar shakes.
      I miss LilB she was an insightful blogger, very witty, and friends with Kathy Seals who was a great sleuth. I miss both of them.

I remember a couple of bloggers saying the WC was so ugly it was cute–maybe Joplays said that!

Mel on September 6, 2012 at 5:53 am
    • Mel, I miss LilB and Kathy Seals, too….there were many more. I hope they pop in to at least read a blog once in a while…. and know that we miss them ! joplays has been on the HGTV blogs but did not follow the BC this year because she said that Maine gets too cold for her.
      I do see Lessie writing once in a while on the Dream home blog…she wrote that she had just lost her mother, very sad.

LLColeman on September 8, 2012 at 4:43 am
    • OMG!! That is quite a sight!! I had no idea I was opening up a can of worms when I asked the question. The one in this years BC isn't near as bad as the one last year. Still it does look like an after thought. For me it's the choice of paint color. The blue makes it stand out and draws you attention to it. Maybe a fresh coat of white paint would make it disappear ???

Myra on September 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm
    • In amateur radio HAM speak a wall wart power supply is one of those little black power supplies that is plugged directly into an outlet to recharge your phone, or power some small electronics device. They got the name because they look like a wart on the wall.

YankeeNuke on September 6, 2012 at 12:30 am
  10. This Place is just great for me just the way it is. I love it… Mary please keep showing us more…:D

LISAFOS on September 1, 2012 at 3:26 am