Aug 23

Crashing the Blog Cabin Master Suite

Our Bath Crashers episode premieres Monday night, but today we have a special treat: an exclusive vlog starring Bath Crashers host Matt Muenster and Blog Cabin 2012 show host Chris Grundy. See what they have to say about the experience of remodeling both the master bedroom and master bathroom.

And if you haven’t yet, please take some time to click through our before-and-after slideshow, artistic photos and candid, behind-the-scenes snaps from the episode shoots. Enjoy!

• Posted at 1:32 pm on August 8, 2012

1. Chris you look like a lot of fun. Wonderful job on that rack , i got to look at it again . One of those blog cabin MARY WALKED DOWN TO THE LAKE , I WAS WATCHING BEHIND CHRIS AND MATT LOOKS LIKE THERE IS A POND THERE IN BETWEEN THE RIVER AND THE HOUSE . i WISH SOMEBODY WOULD TAKE A WALK DOWN TO THE RIVER AND SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET THERE? PLEASE . THERE AREN'T MANY FIRE PLACES IN THE HOUSE , i'M GLAD THEY HAVE WALL FIREPLACES NOW.

Donna Agnew on August 24, 2012 at 9:00 am
  2. Thanks for another preview video.

dreamn_again on August 24, 2012 at 11:39 am
  3. Each time I see the pictures, or watch the video's of the 2012 BC I am amazed at the ideas and craftsmanship that went into building this fine home. It would be a great addition to add a journal to go with the house to the new owner with some of the known history of the house since it was built in 1884. Included in this journal could have the names of all of you, and local craftsmen, like Nathan the welder, that contributed to the renovating. The journal could be kept with the house as a living history to be added to by the new owner. I just love the house! What a lucky person the one who wins it will be. Good luck everyone!

bythebaydreamer on August 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm
    • Good idea, Bythebaydreamer! And thanks for the good wishes! I would like to wish you the same! xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm
    • I love the journal idea. Curious what Nathan would have to say :)

NYCMaine on August 29, 2012 at 9:56 am
    • Great ideas bythebaydreamer! I love them.

minitoni on August 30, 2012 at 9:08 pm
  4. I'll post here too….only one bathroom on first floor? How inconvenient is that?K

Karen on August 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm
    • My understanding is that there is a 1/2 bath-powder room on the 1st floor and only one bathroom on the 2nd floor. The Guest, Kids, Media, Game, & Office have to share one Bathroom !!

gremol on August 25, 2012 at 5:29 pm
    • There's no 1/2 bath any more. Victoria removed it in favor of a bigger laundry room. There's only the master suite on the first floor and the guest bath on the second. This house is two bathrooms short of what's needed IMO.

AnniesOwn on August 25, 2012 at 9:02 pm
    • I agree 100% Even before the Knickerbocker Group began redoing the house i was saying there was a need for an additional full bath upstairs and that the powder room downstairs needed to be handicap accessible, as well as the master bath. Knickerbocker finally redlined changes to their design, which was thrilling, but as they were moved out of final closure on the house remodel, people slackened off the important issues concerning accessibility and cut some corners, which, IMHO may hurt the home value more than help. The funny thing is, probability-wise, the individuals most able to possibly afford to pay the taxes and keep this property may be approaching retirement and have a nestegg set aside, they may be at the beginning of some aging health issues and accessibility issues may suddenly be staring them in the face. Just saying…. <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 25, 2012 at 9:26 pm
    • Wholly agree with you Kitty!

minitoni on August 30, 2012 at 9:09 pm
  5. Off topic. I want to give a big 'Thank you' to Kitty for the photo of the moonlight over Pemaquid Light. We've been travelling a lot this summer (just for fun) and I don't check the blog much these days now the house is finished. It took me a while to read her blog and check the link. :$

The image brings back such vivid memories of my childhood near the Mumbles Lighthouse, Bracelet Bay in Wales (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtj8OPyq3z8 ) and Start Point Lighthouse in Devon ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjGLeMjhN3k ) where some relaqtives had their small farm. Thanks so much for that. :)

Clive on August 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm
    • Clive, I couldn't open Mumbles Lighthouse link. The Start Point Lighthouse photos really show the fury and strength of the ocean! Thanks for sharing.

bythebaydreamer on August 24, 2012 at 3:29 pm
    • Sorry, try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtj8OPyq3z8 An extra ( sneaked into the url. o.0

Clive on August 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm
    • Even with the Start light and it's accompanying horn there was at least one shipwreck every winter, sometimes more. I found these links to photos & stories of the 'Ship Trap' as this part of the English coast is known.

I actually saw this wreck and was able to climb on to it in good weather and low tide. Somewhat foolish in hindsight but fun for a teenager and friends. http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-ma

Here's a link to stories down the ages of this area. Enjoy! :)

Clive on August 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm
    • Hi Clive! Thank you for sharing 3 of your own gorgeous UK Landmark Lighthouses!!! Having my earliest roots mostly in UK, it is very special to me to see places of my Ancestry. How amazing the land, sea, hills and dales are across the Atlantic. Would that i could explore, yes, even shipwrecks, forfeited castles and manorhouse ruins in which my forebears lived or sailed. I'd like to have been a fly on the walls back then and heard all the little administrivia, the politics of the day, read the DomesDay Book, followed the Ones whom i deemed good… what a challenging existence that ultimately led so many to the new World, Monhegan and Lincoln County Maine!!!^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 24, 2012 at 5:31 pm
    • Clive, you are so welcome! I hope you were actually able to see the moonbeams in the photo! I'm not sure they stayed so clearly in the attachment but they were clear in the original. It was a choice of see the silhouette of Pemaquid lighthouse and the boulders and moonbeams or cut out the lower inlet–which is called, Deadman's Cove, for all the shipwrecks at Pemaquid point's dangerous shoals have sent scores of their victim's lost bodies into that treacherous circle! Had we cut out the cove and shot higher, of course, we would have seen a magnificent full moon–the beams, however, were so enchanting!xD:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm
    • Thanks again. I could see the moonbeams and the rocks.

I'm waiting for the 'blue moon' to make my annual one-time entry. Now, if I win I'll be able to tell my chldren & grandchildren that something really did happen "once in a blue moon". xD

Clive on August 24, 2012 at 5:26 pm
    • A really good eye from the beginning would have switched the toliet and the tub around. I for one would had seen the problem and properly fixed it when the upstairs bath was first designed.

Hawkweed on August 25, 2012 at 9:23 am
    • Absolutely right on!B):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 25, 2012 at 11:29 am
  6. So many folks keep mentioning the loss of the powder room downstairs, but no one seems to have a problem with the upstairs bathroom. I understand that they most likely ran out of funds for the room and had to scale back on decor and fixtures. What I don't understand is why they put a trailer sized tub with a shower head in an area where you cannot hang a shower curtain or install a shower door. It seems to me that since the tub is so small, water will end up flooding that beautiful wood floor anytime a guest attempts to take a shower. Has anyone else noticed this or am I overlooking a fix for the situation?

Moving to Maine on August 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm
    • It's likely the photo was taken before a door was fitted. They will not leave it open unless it's designed that way you can be sure. The tub is just regular size, about 4ft 6 in long, with no frills. I believe they will fit a custom-sized door later. There's plenty of room for it or a double sliding door with the smaller height section sliding past the higher section. Just my opinion of course. :)

AnniesOwn on August 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm
    • I took not of the same issues you mentioned, Moving to Maine. My theory is a custom curtain rod will be needed, but then, the curtain won't cover the entire area, now that i picture it. Hmmmmm…Custom Glass door that is not typical slider, but on a hinge? Here's what absolutely boggled MY visual perspective every time I looked at that room: the partial height of the glass tile. I like the concept of tiling just behind the sink, but it needs to go all the way to the ceiling as a counter-balance to the tub and to highlight the mirror better. Right now, I feel the mirror appears disjointed and out of place, though the mirror is very pretty. The room is lovely otherwise–I would bring in an antique chest of drawers for towel and other storage.:):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 24, 2012 at 8:07 pm
    • NOTE not "not" —sorry!

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm
    • You and Annie are most likely correct about the custom shower door, but I'm thinking it would definitely have to be a single hinged door as you suggested. I don't think you could properly track a set of sliding doors, but I've been wrong before :D
      I agree with you about the visual perspective of the tile behind the sink/mirror, but I just look at that as one of those personalization items that I would be happy to work on if I were fortunate enough to win this lovely home. I've been wanting to move to Maine for a couple years now and this would be the perfect solution. A girl can dream, can she? ;)

Moving to Maine on August 25, 2012 at 2:21 am
    • Dream big, if you're going to dream, I say! Yes, I would have to hand tile up to the ceiling behind the sink. How far a move would that have to be? I'm in SE VA. LOVE.LOVE, LOVE, Maine! Maine is my <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 25, 2012 at 11:01 am
    • Give my creative mind time !! I'll come up with a solution to the shower curtain dilemma !!! LOL !!!

gremol on August 25, 2012 at 5:49 pm
    • Patiently awaiting your eureka moment, Gremol!!! I know it will come!xD:p<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 25, 2012 at 6:45 pm
  7. I LOVE this Blog Cabin Home! I cant wait to see all the TV episodes. I got it set to record!!! B)

asandmancan on August 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm
  8. The more pictures I see the more I`m in absolute Love with the Blog Cabin there is nothing I don't enjoy looking at. I especially love the awe-inspiring views, and I can`t wait to see more! :)

pixelecho69 on August 25, 2012 at 1:23 am
    • I totally agree, I would love to walk through just to smell the many different types of woods that were used- that's what makes a great cabin.

Mitch on September 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm
  9. Can anyone read the sign on the barn? I have been trying to make it out but can't. I love the videos and can't wait until next week to see the newest one. There is so much to take in. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

bythebaydreamer on August 25, 2012 at 8:32 am
    • Jacobs Barn
      1885

It's in one of the very early photo sets from lst year.

AnniesOwn on August 25, 2012 at 8:42 am
    • Thank you!

bythebaydreamer on August 25, 2012 at 8:45 am
  10. I love it that this Blog Cabin is a remodel. New homes cannot compare in quality and uniqueness…I love a home that has an antique look to it. Mixing new with old is so cool!! I love the location and the fact that there is a barn!! Old barns are really great as the historic value is incredible. I can imagine waking up in that master bedroom and taking in the smells and sounds of the country!!

Karen Schulte on August 25, 2012 at 9:23 am
    • something I wonder about is the chance of lead paint on some of the wood they are bring in and don't seem to be sealing . . like the wood with white peeling cracked paint under the dining room table! Also, does anyone have any idea of what property taxes will be like and is this house winterized?

karen on August 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm
    • They say they wood is all sealed. Property taxes adn winterization are addressed elsewhere but I belive it is winterized. it's the federal taxes one has to worry about!

minitoni on August 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm