Aug 17

Kitchen Crashers is Coming Up

Happy Friday!

I hope you are enjoying the virtual home tour of Blog Cabin 2012 and entering twice online daily for your chance to win our fabulous midcoast Maine getaway. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.

Don’t forget to tune in on Monday, August 20, for the second episode in our Blog Cabin 2012 series. The Kitchen Crashers crew descends on Blog Cabin to overhaul and transform the home’s most important space.

Today, I invite you to watch a little teaser video we shot while Alison Victoria was filming on location with this year’s show host Chris Grundy. Take a peek and then check out the how-to projects (build a coffee bar, build a reclaimed wood dining table and craft a butcher block cutting board) from Monday night’s episode. Cheers!

• Posted at 11:38 am on August 8, 2012

1. You guys are so awesome! I love this kitchen and can't wait to touch and smell and taste all the great creativity in this kitchen! Amazing!

blesme13 on August 21, 2012 at 10:46 am
  2. The show was superb! I love to see you work together. All of you did such a wonderful job making the perfect kitchen. I can envision myself and family gathered in the kitchen cooking Thanksgiving dinner. The massive dining table with a centerpiece of flowers cut from the gardens. Family and friends could enjoy great food and conversation. Can you smell the turkey and sage dressing? Keeping my fingers crossed that I will win. Who ever wins will have an awesome new home! Good luck everyone!

bythebaydreamer on August 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm
  3. Hi to all!!!! Loved the "Kitchen Crashers" last night…Chris and Alison are so great together and they really made everything look so easy to build…Love everything in the kitchen…love the big sink and like the backsplash better now than before. Like the way they have different stations to prepare food and drink, like the sewing machine counter and stand….Alison has a great imagination and came up with really great ideas. Oh and I like the opened cabinets to display collectables…I questioned that "big table" but after watching the show, I like it so much better now …The only thing I would change would be the dining room chairs, something a bit more comfortable for the "Tush" and the two stools at the Island counter….I also love all of Victoria's signature pieces and her personal touch that shows Everywhere in this great kitchen.
    OK, I'm ready for the next special!!! Christmas every Monday!! Can't wait. Good luck to Everyone on the
    "Blog"… I do hope one of you "Blogging Buddies'" Win… She truly has my Heart….I know some of you other Bloggers feel the same way…Have a good Day!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on August 21, 2012 at 1:16 pm
    • Jennie I loved the show too! There were some great laugh out loud moments during the show.
      Here's a few brief recaps of some funny moments for bloggers that don't have the DIY network:
      When Alison, Grundy and Doug were outside building the dining table, a bug was flying around Victoria's mouth, she exclaimed, "If I eat one more bug!
      Grundy replied with a devilish grin, "It's tasty!
      It was Really Cool when they each autographed a piece of wood and put it in inside the underside framing of the dining room table. The underside framing was 128+ year old original guttering hollowed out and perfect for holding the piece of wood they signed. It was so cool how they created a designer/carpenter time capsule in that dining table! Victora said, "For someone else to find in 100 years!–Loved that :)
      There was a great scene too where Alison really wanted to rip up some of the flooring in the red barn and use it. Grundy finally had to say sternly, "You can NOT have the floor!!
      Thank You Mr.Grundy !!

Mel on August 21, 2012 at 7:38 pm
    • The funniest part of the show for me:
      Alison pointing out how easy putting up the stainless steel backsplash was going to be for her & Grundy to do since it had a mesh backing.
      Grundy said he knew something that would make the backsplash even easier to install, and introduced the TV audience to Heather that was there to put up the backsplash! Great job Heather! Great job too Doug and all of the Kitchen Crashers crew!
      Last tip for bloggers who remember how Matty hid his hairbrush in his tool pouch last year, Grundy is making good use of his tool pouch too. He put the tricky name of the backsplash tile in there, and pulled it out when he needed to say the name to Victoria. Smart move Grundy, I would have needed to do the same thing. Great show! You guys did a Beautiful job installing a "farm sexy" kitchen and dining room with berautiful imaginative custom crafting. Love it.

Mel on August 21, 2012 at 7:57 pm
    • I thought Chris really unleashed that personality ! He was hilarious talking about the size of the sink combined with the high arch faucet, speculating that he might even be able to climb in there and get clean….I guess he thought better of it, and during the wrap up he exclaimed of the sink " You could fit a BABY in there !" LOL ! His energy was just giddy…liked his dance at the end of Day 2.
      He just about matched Josh with the goofy factor….( I think they cut out the big shovel scene with the 2 of them out of the tv show.)

LLColeman on August 24, 2012 at 2:37 am
    • Chris has personality PLUS…….

Jennie/Florida on August 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm
    • Between Chris Grundy and Josh Temple my sides were splitting! They are natural comedians and should have a show together! HGTV/DIY/SCRIPPS are ya hearing me now??? Their talent is not only comedic, however–it is creative within the construction field as well and I can't say enough about their work together on the living room/entry! The only changes I would make, I don't believe were their decisions: restore stairs to basement (probably by removing message center, which I understood when we bloggers voted, was to be around the study/library area and not supersede the basement stairs!) A bookcase is always well-used in Maine, for there is down time during poor weather and reading or arts and crafts are the things to do. That bookcase replaces the original white one that we saw in the original living room of the BC before it was gutted and most of us begged to not remove shelves from there==an honored wish–thanks, Josh and Chris!!! :pB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm
  4. I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST CANT quit looking at the pics. THE PEACE I feel…WoW

LIKE I SAID, I'M IN LOVE!!!
    honey just give me the keys… wink and big smile
    <3<3

LISAFOS on August 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm
  5. Absolutely beautiful…This is it! xoxo :)

Carol Slavinski on August 21, 2012 at 9:34 pm
  6. Just added my name to the many hopefuls here! All I can say is….WHAT A PURE WORK OF ART, LOVE, AND PASSION. Every nook, cranny, and crevice was thought out! The house is a STUNNER! Each one of you is the definition of an ART-TEEST! To live and love under a roof refurbished by such able, accomplished, and dedicated hands would be an honor! Thank you (even if I'm NOT the lucky dog), just…..thank you! Ok, enough flattery! Kudos guys! AND GOOD LUCK TOOO AAALLLLL!

Sharon :) on August 22, 2012 at 4:41 am
  7. I can't help but get sooooooo excited when I think of the wall with the chalkboard paint on it!!! This would be so perfect for my family to use this room as a classroom because we homeschool. WOW!!! A room & house made just for us ^_^:D:) don't wake me from the dream.

heaven-bound23 on August 22, 2012 at 10:04 am
    • I am glad you found the walls useful. I for one had given my negative take on it. It goes to show that there are different strokes for different folks. Makes for an interesting world.

Hazelnut Deb on August 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm
  8. Please debate: Why was a square bathtub chosen rather than a large clawfoot tub?

Hawkweed on August 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm
    • Good question Hawkweed, I love the big soaking tub that they installed but I also think an old or newer version of a clawfoot tub would be so appropriate for the "style" of this cabin. I lived for a while in an old home and it had a beautiful old antique clawfoot tub and I sured enjoyed soaking in it.

smokesmom on August 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm
    • It probably reflects the timeline in the design process as much as anything else.

First Knickerbocker Group design the new layout of the first floor. Then DIY looks to Kohler (one of their main sponsors) and asks them to donate a high-end tub that's a new design and can fit into the space provided. Given the room shape constraints and the desire for a shower also the 4ft square soaker is their best option for the room shape and it also highlights a new Kohler design.

The lesson of the 2009 'Koi Pond' bath mistakes showed us what happens when there's little apparent coordination between room design and items donated. ;)

My question is how many of us believe that a bath that's barely 3ft 4 inches wide (inside dimensions) with seats on both sides will allow anyone (other than a young hobbit) to stetch out and soak?

Clive on August 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm
    • hi Clive ! I have no answer to your question, but agree that Kohler probably wanted to highlight this tub– which has ended up blocking chair access to the universal access, roll-in shower (which some bloggers have begged for each year)–aarrrghhh to Kohler !! Why didn't they have a cool clawfoot model with the proper scale for that bathroom ? < She asked, defiantly looking Kohler Gift Horse in the mouth > o.0

LLColeman on August 23, 2012 at 4:02 am
    • Free standing ? English Trellis: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=kohler+b… could not find the measurements, though

LLColeman on August 23, 2012 at 4:03 am
    • PERFECT!!! this tub would have been so great in this home…….. Now see that did not take LL very long at all to find that so what are these Kohler Reps. doing because they should know there products inside and out!! LL Coleman maybe you should ask them for a job, LOL ;)

heaven-bound23 on August 23, 2012 at 8:38 am
    • Clive, you are exactly RIGHT. Could not agree more and as far as your question even my 8 year old who is already 5 feet tall is not going to be too comfortable in that tub so not sure what they were thinking at all!! oops what am I thinking, they weren't at all!!! The owner can pay someone to take it off their hands I guess because obviously it was a model that did not do well for Kohler because why else would they have donated that tub….

heaven-bound23 on August 23, 2012 at 8:42 am
    • And they have that tub in a 72". Now that is pure heaven on Earth.

Hawkweed on August 23, 2012 at 11:16 am
    • I could swim laps in that size tub. ^_^

It's also over $3000 cheaper than the tub they installed. The price of a quick & easy car port beside the house. ;)

Clive on August 23, 2012 at 12:15 pm
  9. For those that can't get DIY channel, I believe you can now see and watch the shows under the "Full Episodes" they have here. Just click on full episodes button at the top of page in the red bar.
    I don't get the DIY channel either, but guessing that these are it, if not they are fun to watch anyway.

home_girl on August 22, 2012 at 9:46 pm
    • Homegirl !! Good find !! Those are the new episodes –and am stunned in a good way to find these posted so soon !! Yay !
      I am surprised that there is no DIY announcement of this, though !

LLColeman on August 23, 2012 at 4:12 am
  10. I've driven by the cabin several times and ddin't see the wooden structure in the field. Does anyone know if it's on the blog cabin property?

Day Dreamer on August 23, 2012 at 9:11 am
    • hi Day Dreamer,
      if you go by the picture or the show it's down behind the house on the left. Looks like it would be just down from where the old clothes line used to be.
      They may of used a lot to make the stuff in the kitchen and upstairs, so you may not be able to see it as well or it might be gone.

home_girl on August 23, 2012 at 11:07 am