Aug 17

Kitchen Crashers is Coming Up

Happy Friday!

I hope you are enjoying the virtual home tour of Blog Cabin 2012 and entering twice online daily for your chance to win our fabulous midcoast Maine getaway. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.

Don’t forget to tune in on Monday, August 20, for the second episode in our Blog Cabin 2012 series. The Kitchen Crashers crew descends on Blog Cabin to overhaul and transform the home’s most important space.

Today, I invite you to watch a little teaser video we shot while Alison Victoria was filming on location with this year’s show host Chris Grundy. Take a peek and then check out the how-to projects (build a coffee bar, build a reclaimed wood dining table and craft a butcher block cutting board) from Monday night’s episode. Cheers!

• Posted at 11:38 am on August 8, 2012

1. I am wondering if there is room to add a garage with an entrance into the kitchen. Anyone know about the dimensions of the lot? Also, how difficult would it be for the winner to add one that matches the house? If the winner was to live there year-round, a garage would be needed, I think, to protect vehicles and provide protection when unloading the car and bringing in groceries. We old folks don't want to slip and fall in the ice and snow!

gail on August 18, 2012 at 10:48 pm
    • Absolutely no falling is wanted anytime. My thoughts exactly are a needed must for those that do projects as winter will be long here. A two to three car garage on the kitchen side of the house would be sublime with guest or studio upstairs. Yes, I'd have to repurpose all landscaped in junipers & Spruce. Junipers look shabby in short amount of time with age, size & want to be unruly. They take spaces over & leave little for other bushes & such. Spruce grow huge & not a fan for trees or items like this placed to close to house as here. I'd have to redo this whole space from kitchen sliding glass door to outdoor fireplace & relocate hot tub to master bedroom side of the house with a very special private area. Also, I would have to give more considerations to all entries with offering more protections from the weather elements then given now down the road.

PFG on August 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm
    • Preserving Land for Future Generations
      by Mary in Blog Cabin 2012 Comments (568)

Hawkweed on August 19, 2012 at 10:59 pm
  2. I can hardly wait to see the Kitchen Crashers episode. I love the soft close cabinets and drawers, and all the pullout storage in the island.
    I love a kitchen with some open cabinetry for displaying passed down heirloom dishes or kitchen item collections. Like other bloggers have stated it's especially delightful that Victoria decorated with some of her own pieces from her vinatage pottery collection.
    I love the updated open access of the kitchen, and mix or modern and vintage decor. If the kitchen is the heart of a home, this heart seems to be in just the right place, and in perfect harmony with the land this home sits upon. I can't wait to see the show!

Mel on August 19, 2012 at 8:47 am
  3. I would like to see the BASEment and WATER AT THE END OF THE lot at the RIVER. The HOME is just GREAT…. It's so peaceful and lovely…

LISAFOS on August 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm
    • It was on an April 20th blog called…The Stone Foundation.
      Hope that helps.

Hawkweed on August 19, 2012 at 11:02 pm
    • You know , God bless you. It took faith to tell me that faith that whoever the lord choose for this land will do the best with it. I can't see being selfish with it a plus. Not in the sate of the economy there are anywhere. I hope that you do well also.

Donna Agnew on August 20, 2012 at 8:40 am
  4. The value of the land…is it based on what the owner is actually going to acquire or on the donated land also? Please DIY really consider the normal living middle class and lower due to the economic situation. As they say, "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer." There are so many of us out there that need that break in life. We've worked, spend our time helping others but our life doesn't have that gold lining. Please consider a way for the average person to be able to pay the taxes on their winnings. If a lady on a school bus that is bullied can receive donations of over 700k, why can't we figure this out? We need to set up a definate plan to help our fellow bloggers pay for their winnings. I'm in! Happy day everyone. :) ~

SuziQ523 on August 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm
    • AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!

Lea on August 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm
  5. ~ ~ Love the Blog Home. I really was wondering how the value of the home came to be? Like many are stating way out of the price range even for the north. The homemade furnishings I hope are figured at what the cost was to make not what they would try to sell them for? In this video the coffee bar cost them all of 100.00, (which I can't even see that since the wood was reused), where they stated you'd pay 7k for this…I don't think so, unless it was in one of those fancy celebrity magazines. ~ ….continued

SuziQ523 on August 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm
  6. I love this home and can't wait to move in. I have only one question after scouring the photos, plans, and videos….How do you access the cellar? I know there is one there that is shown in a couple of before photos but can't seem to find any access to it.

Myra on August 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm
    • It's outside now. My Grandmother had an entry from both the inside and outside to her seller. In the winter she would use (of course) the hallway entry. In the summer she loved using the outdoor entry for retrieving gardening items. I have to agree with many, that the indoor entry being gone, is not good for those, who enjoy making and storing their own preserves and other items.

11241224 on August 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm
    • Also, that outside door is only about 4 ft high with steep steps inside. Truly a Hobbit hole. ;)

AnniesOwn on August 19, 2012 at 8:53 pm
    • Thanks for the reply! I watched all the videos again and finally caught a glimpse of the outside entrance. I agree, after living in Maine for 13+ years, that an access from the inside would be needed. Since the kitchen has no pantry it would make sense to be able to store all those home canned goodies. I'm thinking since they keep refering to it as a "Vacation" home maybe they didn't see the need and installed the message center.

Myra on August 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm
  7. I love to watch your show on kitchen or bathroom crashers, be hate our kitchen, and the master bath. They are so out dated, bought new refrigerator and stove, but the size and we are tall people, the cabinets are to low and our bath, its a claw tub, now the piping leeks, I am disabled, need a stand up shower, we need your help. God bless you

patricia Youngsma on August 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm
  8. WhenI first saw Chris on tv I thought that he might become obnoxious but now I love his personality so much! He has fun and really gets into things and somehow pulls you in to include you in his excitement. I love that comment he made about his mom… goodness, can you imagine being his mom?! Just think about howmuch he likes to play with things now! He must have gotten into everything as a kid!

Epiphany101 on August 19, 2012 at 7:05 pm
    • The only reason I watch "Cool Tools" is I like Chris Grundy, he is a hoot. And is doing a great job on BC 2012

vicki_in_Utah on August 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm
  9. Anyone know if there is an alternate cash prize for the winner? I was just reading online that the winner of the hgtv dream home in park city, utah took the cash prize and the house is on the market. I also learned that most winners immediately sell because they can't afford the income taxes, the property taxes, and the utilities. I guess these are all dream homes. You don't get as much as the value of the prize out of it, but you do walk away with something and that helps a person to live his/her dream, just a smaller dream.

gail on August 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm
    • Blog Cabin doesn't come with a cash addition or alternative with one exception. If for some reason the house can't be given away DIY will award the ARV in cash as the prize. That happened in 2009 when the developer became embroiled in many legal issues and liens were put on the house for unpaid bills to sub-contractors.

There's a number of reasons winners don't keep the homes I'm sure. Taxes are one for sure but, as you say, if they sell they still have a very substantial windfall that they never had the day before they won. There really are no loosers. :)

AnniesOwn on August 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm
    • I'm SO glad we have such intelligent people to explain things to us! Thank YOU ANNIE, Your SOOOO smart.

11241224 on August 20, 2012 at 12:31 am
  10. My father was a good very excellent carpenter. Chris Grundy reminds me of him. As I I looked at the home not to cultered with furniture , So much room it makes you breathe. Then the barn Lord such a asset. I look at the yellow brick road of flowers and I reminded myself I am donna from kansas. ok I laughed. watching this man get directly to the point helps men. He lands the plane continually. I really like that about Chris and his handy work too. I wonder if Mary is waiting for her autum sweater . Or her hand made quilt . Because should the lord even choose me. I will hanging my quilt top on a line in the barn. As I looked down the roaad to the river , I had a vision of a road with bricks and alone the road benches with lantern stands for romatic walks in the evening like little parks flowers handsomely planted alone the road . Oh I am dreaming wide a wake!

Donna Agnew on August 19, 2012 at 10:07 pm
    • Hey donna, some one took you down immediatly, I gave you thumbs up. The wise get to speak occasionally. God takes care of those, Who take care of themself's

11241224 on August 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm