Aug 17

Kitchen Crashers is Coming Up

Happy Friday!

I hope you are enjoying the virtual home tour of Blog Cabin 2012 and entering twice online daily for your chance to win our fabulous midcoast Maine getaway. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.

Don’t forget to tune in on Monday, August 20, for the second episode in our Blog Cabin 2012 series. The Kitchen Crashers crew descends on Blog Cabin to overhaul and transform the home’s most important space.

Today, I invite you to watch a little teaser video we shot while Alison Victoria was filming on location with this year’s show host Chris Grundy. Take a peek and then check out the how-to projects (build a coffee bar, build a reclaimed wood dining table and craft a butcher block cutting board) from Monday night’s episode. Cheers!

• Posted at 11:38 am on August 8, 2012

1. Wondering why the dropdown to indicate the state doesn't work. It's blank. Bill in Chicago

Bill Santamour on August 18, 2012 at 11:19 am
    • It works for me in Firefox. Try typing your state code in.

Lindingo on August 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm
  2. This is the BEST Blog Cabin EVER!!!!!!!! <3 B) xD

asandmancan on August 18, 2012 at 11:45 am
  3. Every time I watch the videos, (which is daily) It gives me some think new to dream about… As I sead befor. This is the Best Blog Cabin EVER! Nicer and Homier then any of the "Dream Homes" or "Green Homes". To me it looks like a cozy, a place to get away and unwind. A kind place any one can feal at home, weather you are just visiting or it is you're one home!!! B) Thay din't go overbord with the artsy deco stile and overly bright colors that other houses have. IT'S A HOME that you would be happy and proud to call you're own! GOD help me, I would win it! But if I don't, I hope the winer makes the best of it. Not turn around and sell it!
    This BLOG CABIN is truly a HOME!!! <3 <3 <3

asandmancan on August 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm
    • <3Hey , you wrote almost the very same thing I did! It is like a vacation just to watch the videos! It's my little 'getaway' time and I daily watch and dream and pray. This is the very best of the best for me too and too bad we can't all have one. My heart will sink when they reveal another winner-I think I'll die. I have tried harder on this one than any and I get picked on for staying on the computer but I got to get out of here! This is a hot Texas mess here and I love Pines and all I see in MY front yard! GOD, I am publicly praying for this home so I will promise I will share!<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

seeingtoomuch on September 8, 2012 at 2:32 am
    • Well, I gess we will be praying togather. (so to speek)
      Yeah I live in SC I just moved here a year ago from FL to help out my perients. Now it's imposible to find good work. :S So I have ben hoping and praying for a miracle. And a beautiful home is on the top of that list!!! xD
      But nomatter what, we can't give up hope. Especially when hope is all you have left!!! <3

asandmancan on September 8, 2012 at 11:34 am
    • WISH WE COULD BOTH WIN THEN! I can't stand to hear your troublesbecause we are all in a hurt. But I still want to pray you have allthe LORD wants to give you and HE is a GOOD GOD! I'd stay in touch ifI knew how and maybe we could help each other if one of us wins! Idon't know, that sounds kind of stupid but I hurt for everyone and Iam a sucker for helping. SC sounds like it must be beautiful-is it?I lost my Dad, then 3 yrs later, my mom, then about a yr. later mysister and she was still too young to die and I can't face thinkingthey are gone so I pretend they are still here somewhere.. I do knowif I got in Waldoboro, I'd be close to my MOM for that is where shewas buried and she loved Maine and I can still smell how wonderful itis. I have to keep praying for it anyway because I want to get closeto her. I don't have ANY of a huge family I used to have…they areall gone and I can't grasp it still.But may God be with you and may someone help you, for I can not standto see what has happened to our country now, since 2006, I guess iswhen it started but this president has tried to destroy us by spendingand spending and keeping a huge gov't and by all his 131 (at least)executive orders! He has it written so he can do whatever he wantswherever and whenever. I keep praying he changes too.

seeingtoomuch on September 9, 2012 at 12:38 am
    • I am sorry to hear about you're family. :( I can't emagine that would be to easy!!!
      I gess we all are going through hard times. So I gess we should pray for each other!
      All we got these days is are wope… And hope for the beast we must!!!

asandmancan on September 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm
  4. I love the debrief…truly a sense of accomplishment! High-fives, low-fives, fist-bumps, touchdown dance and hugs all around!!

memanbepa on August 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm
  5. Hi Mary, I would love to see the LOFT and the BEACH….any EXTRAS on this blog are always soooooooooooo much fun..:o thanks what a wonderful place….. LOVE IT

LISAFOS on August 18, 2012 at 2:12 pm
    • That loft area at the top of the ladder is a mystery. I wonder what's up there, if anything?

There's no beach. The river is tidal and sometimes the water is close to the end of the pasture and sometimes there's a wide mudflat. Good for clamming I believe. Locals say there are beaches reasonably close to the house. I hope that helps. :)

Ally on August 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm
    • I was hoping they would show the loft too, not just a quick glance from the game room.

vicki_in_Utah on August 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm
  6. Hello All, I haven't been on in a while, great to be back !! How is everyone ?? Bee, how are you doing ?? I've had lots of problems with my back….surgery did not work so well; so I'm back to square one..starting all over with injections etc. Just had another death in my Family, my Brother-in-law died wednesday, services tomorrow. Would love to hear from all my "blog buds".

gremol on August 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm
    • Hi Gremol, I just replied to you on the other thread…..So sorry to hear your surgery didn't work out well and you're in pain again…I was hoping you were well on your way to a pain free back…
      So sorry to hear about the lose of your Brother-in-law..I will say a prayer for you and your family to get through this time of sadness and loss…Take care!!! We sure missed You Gremol !!!

Jennie/Florida on August 18, 2012 at 6:10 pm
    • So nice to hear from you gremol, I have been wondering how your back was doing after the surgery. So sorry to hear it is not so good. I miss your comments on the blog. What do you think about the BC now?

So sorry to hear about your brother in law, funerals are not fun.

vicki_in_Utah on August 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm
    • Hi Gremol, so happy to have you back, but very sorry to hear about your Brother-In-Law. What a disappointment about the surgery, I hope that it may still get better with time? My hubby had shoulder and also knee surgery. Both times after the surgery(and even after physical therapy) he still had so much pain he said he wished he'd never had the surgery. Then both times about six or eight months later he realized the pain was gone! I will pray that is the way with you. Surgery is very hard on the body and it can take a long time to completely heal itself. Sending you hugs with those prayers!

SID on August 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm
    • Dear Gremol, I wrote you on the other thread–was SO happy to hear from you! But my heart aches for you about your surgery not working for your back and the very recent loss of your Brother in Law. I am so very sorry! I recall going through your decision process time about your surgery–what a wonderful trouper you were and are! I can empathize with you, as you may recall, because my back is cafluey just about everywhere, from the cervical spine to the lumbar area, with resultant stenosis sciatica and polyneuropathy, so I understand. Please know that i still have you on my heart . I have prayed for you many times over the past months and wondered how you were. May you and your Sister and Family be enfolded in the loving Peace and Comfort of God as you go through this most trying time. Behind these often rushed notes posted from all over the Country are people who have gotten to know one another's Blog Name and Persona and many of us have become like Family and we care. We are here for you, Gremol! sending you a huge ((HUG)) and caring thoughts…<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 18, 2012 at 10:21 pm
    • Gremol welcome back:)
      So sorry to hear that your surgery did not work out:(. Hope that your Drs. can find you another solution and your will receive relief .God Bless I wish you well.

ruffybc on August 19, 2012 at 9:34 am
    • how terrible to still be in pain, hope a solution is in the works with your docs.
      What do you think of the finished cabin?

Flashy on August 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    • i also answered on another blog, but did not know the outcome of your surgery,,,I am so sorry to know that you have been in pain; praying that you will heal. My condolences to all your family on the passing of your brother -in-law, gremol. <3 <3

LLColeman on August 20, 2012 at 5:46 am
  7. I want ~ I want ~ I want ~ I want ~ I want!!!!! xD

asandmancan on August 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm
  8. How exciting is it that the home will be given away next month………Yay!! I can't wait.

Summer on August 18, 2012 at 5:13 pm
  9. This evening I've been finally catching up on todays comments, and I see that as usual on this Blog, there have been both very good ideas and also very diverse opinions. I think that is wonderful, and exactly as it should be. I've learned so much from all of you. Perhaps my own favorite space (and I haven't read too many comments about it, which surprises me) is the master bath. There are 25 delicious MB photos. That deep tub – water filling down from the ceiling, state of the art remote control for the air jets and lighting effects, what heaven it must be to soak in that tub! That luxurious tub must have been one big budget item! I also love the big double sink, and the glass tiled shower. I also love that beautiful repurposed door paneled wall behind a KING SIZED BED! think perhaps the master suite might even be handicap accessible by just removing that long bench in the main hallway, and perhaps also that built in bench in the bath across from the sink. Genius DIY!

SID on August 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm
    • Sid, that MB sink is the BOMB! I love it! Is the bed a King? I hope so, but I was looking at the pillows and they threw me off… Love, love the bedside tables, especially the one on the right. I can just see a big, fluffy down comforter from L.L.Bean on that bed during cold weather! And, thankfully, they put a regular showerhead in too, so a handheld could be installed–which I would want (helps with cleaning walls too! :) ) The only thing I'm still needing to see is the width of space between the far end of sink and deep tub surround. Hoping that is about 4 ft. I know there is no threshold–yay! Now I'm just wondering, if that darling entertainment center is occupied with "entertainment," where is one supposed to store their undies and etc.?xD Sweet dreams! Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 18, 2012 at 10:42 pm
    • Unfortunately the commode doesn't look like it's handicap accessible. The recess is too narrow and deep. The shower may be OK with some alterations to the layout. The problem as I see it isn't that the house has no handicap accessible toilet. It's that it will take a major remodel to give it one. Nothing seems to change each year in that respect. Universal design just doesn't seem to be on their radar.

AnniesOwn on August 18, 2012 at 10:49 pm
    • THAT toilet will find a good home in the spacious laundry room–comfort height and a bidet seat! Lovely….

Home Lover on August 18, 2012 at 11:34 pm
    • SID, one of my first posts over the indoor renovations was regarding how Spectacular the master bath and bedroom are!! A tub with thousands of bubbles that target different body zones– That's a Luxurious touch in just the right spot!
      The bathroom door being a pocket door style would be much appreciated if the winner is wheelchair bound, since the door would not have to be maneuvered around.
      Also, God forbid if there ever was a fire in the house, a handicapped person sleeping in the master bedroom is provided a short route out through the sliding doors to the patio.
      I can't tell if the access to the commode, or shower openings provide the minimum clearance necessary for wheelchair accessibility. The Aug 27th BC show will feature Matt Muenster and the bath reno, so hopefully we will get our answers for sure about master bath accessibility.

Mel on August 19, 2012 at 8:08 am
    • What would have made the MBATH more accessibile would have been to put the shower in front so that a wheel chair could fit.

Nebraska on August 19, 2012 at 11:24 am
    • Yes, # 14 of the Master Photos says it is a King size bed! That is a nice thing to see. All the homes have had a queen size that I can remember. Plus those high windows across from the sin, perfect. No forgetful reveals going to happen in that bathroom….Love that too!

joanlife on August 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm
  10. So wonderful to know that I was not forgotten by my bloggie buds !! Good for the soul !! It's been almost 10 months since my surgery; 8 months in that #%@ back brace; was very positive that by now I'd be doing hand-springs, but, alas !!! I'm no better at all. I've about resigned myself to the fact that I'll not be running marathons, dancing the night away, or jumping rope in what's left of this lifetime !! O.K. enough about my old aching back, the CABIN……….looks pretty darn nice to me !! Only had time to 'tour' it once; gonna' go back & really critique it to my specs now (LOL) !!! Thanks to all !!!

gremol on August 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm
    • <3^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 18, 2012 at 10:26 pm
    • All that time in a back brace… OMG – You poor thing. If you don't mind sharing, what type of surgery did you have? I need some surgeries, one being on the spine. That is why I am asking.

StellaF on August 18, 2012 at 11:48 pm
    • Lumbar fusion & instrumentation…….in lay terms,, they screwed rods between my L4 & L5 vertebrae. Mine was not the laparoscopic surgery, it was 'wide-open' !!! I had 39 staples & 26 stitches !! I have about a 10 inch scar from the "mountain valley" upward !! I've gained 20 pounds, mostly from the meds I have to take & inactivity; it sure isn't from diet !! Do LOTS of research on-line; this surgery works very well for some, not so for others. Good Luck with yours & God Bless !!

gremol on August 19, 2012 at 2:14 am
    • I'm with you in more than just spirit. I had so hoped with your absence that you were simply out chasing dreams!

Nebraska on August 19, 2012 at 11:33 am
    • Wishing you the very best, gremol. I have two family members who have had to go through your surgery experience…more than once for one. So my heart hears your comments.

So glad to see you back online.

Trish on August 20, 2012 at 10:11 am
    • Wow Gremol, sorry to here about everything. The passing of the Brother-in-law, so very sad. Give your sister a big hug,goosh thats so sad.
      Ouch all that post op recovery, and no luck at being the you, that you, once were. Is there a plan B, I would hope so. Then again who would want all that down time,so much for modern medicine.

Mary/PA on August 21, 2012 at 12:43 am
    • Gremol, What a long haul you have had. Didn't they tell you that hand springs are over rated? I can empathize with you. I had L5-S1 fused in 2004. I have good days and not so good days. I will not be doing the tango anytime soon, but have had to learn "acceptance". What a tough lesson that can be! The blog cabin looks great with the first floor Master bedroom. Best wishes on your ongoing recovery. Good luck to you on the contest. The blog cabin would be a lovely vacation or year round home. ;)

bythebaydreamer on August 21, 2012 at 4:22 pm