Jul 27

Enter for a Chance to Win the Dog Condo!

Blog Cabin 2012 Dog Condo Anitra Mecadon

Remember the dog house designs you voted on during our People’s Choice program? Anitra Mecadon, an avid dog lover and animal rescue and no-kill shelter advocate, and her Mega Dens crew built both!

The winning Dog Barn design is a fixture at Blog Cabin 2012. The Dog Condo was donated by DIY Network and the Petco Foundation to the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society, an organization that provides a safe haven for over 5,500 sick, homeless and abused animals in the greater Androscoggin area per year. The condo features a removable roof, an outdoor patio and a plexiglass sunroom and comes complete with pet supplies courtesy of Petco and signed autographs by Anitra and her crew.

Even more exciting news? The Dog Condo will be raffled off during the 16th Annual Strutt Your Mutt Dog Walk and Pet Festival on Saturday, September 15, 2012, at Petco in Auburn. All proceeds from the raffle will directly benefit the Humane Society. Raffle tickets are available for $5 each or three for $10 and can be purchased at the Humane Society or printed off their web site at SavingPetsInMaine.org.

“It is an honor to be part of this truly unique experience; not only unique for our shelter but for the residents of Maine,” says Steven Dostie, executive director of the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society. “We are very grateful to Anitra and her Mega Dens crew for donating their time and talent to benefit our cause. We hope the community shares in our excitement and this special opportunity to be part of something extraordinary!”

“Blog Cabin was the perfect opportunity for us to have a positive impact on a local level and a great way to give back to Maine and say thank you! I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to design and build a doggie condo to donate to the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society,” says Anitra. “Now I don’t know about you, but when I think of Maine, I think of lobster and barns. What you are seeing is my modern interpretation of a barn, and yes, it is lobster red. I can’t lie to you. I love the finished product so much I wanted to keep it. Whoever ends up with it is going to be one lucky pup!”

• Posted at 11:48 am on July 7, 2012

1. HOW NICE ABOVE AVERAGE PAD FOR YOUR FAVORITE DOG BUDDIE!

ARLENE on August 1, 2012 at 1:50 pm
  2. HHHHmmmmm, "No cat house?"

StellaF on August 1, 2012 at 11:59 pm
    • I have a friend that has a cat house for her 10 cats, it is just a wooden storage shed, that she put climbing/scratching things and a lot of fun things for them, there is a screened in place they can also go outside to.

vicki_in_Utah on August 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm
    • Remember when one wins the blog cabin, the "cat house" shall be the aforementioned barn where all "cool cats" shall be in heaven, hunting mice among the straw. lol

Hawkweed on August 2, 2012 at 1:55 pm
    • Well said Hawkweed, well said.

Cats prefer "higher elevation" anyway. They might curl up inside that house "if" there was a silk pillow or bed full of cat-nip waiting for them. Otherwise, they have places to go & mice to catch! But, if you put that barn inside the house, that's a whole new story. LOL

StellaF on August 9, 2012 at 12:22 am
    • BTW That sounds like "kitty-heaven"

StellaF on August 9, 2012 at 12:18 am
    • I am sure that cats are welcome in the dog condo too. I know that my dog wouldn't mind sharing.

Summer on August 4, 2012 at 9:56 am
  3. I love- no adore ALL animals so the dog house is wonderful! I am just playing around since "cats" currently rule my home.

StellaF on August 2, 2012 at 12:00 am
  4. This Doggie Condo looks great. It would be perfect for a female Rottweiler I rescued a few months back when she likes to lay outside. She is an indoor dog now but every now and then likes to go out for the day and be out doors.

James Kotary on August 2, 2012 at 12:45 am
  5. My daughter has a Dachshound from H–l that I would love to see outside in that condo.

vickie jackson on August 2, 2012 at 8:51 am
  6. I have one weather concern over Anitra's clothes on July 27. She's wearing boots, Jacket and gloves. Do folks ever wear shorts in July in Maine their hottest month?And does the doggie condo have a heater?

Trudy2Patoodie on August 2, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    • Trudy2Paroodie
      I would think that picture was taken the beginning of April when they first build the dog house. It was on the cold side back then, so a warm jacket and gloves would of been nice. July been hot this year, so I don't think she would be wearing that now.

home_girl on August 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm
    • Thank you for reassuring me as I won't throw out my shorts when I win! I would love exploring the area with my Goldens. And since I'm married to a Brit, could have tea time on the gorgeous deck. If I win come over for a cuppa!

Trudy2Patoodie on August 2, 2012 at 2:38 pm
    • I cannot open the 1st reply, so forgive me if I am saying something redundant. Since I've been here in Maine for nearly 2 weeks now, I have had major computer, internet and telephone connectivity issues. Anitra was in Waldoboro doing her thing much earlier than July. It was still cold weather. Actually July has been quite temperate this year. We usually are here in August and it's much hotter then. It's a very foggy day today and I can't see Monhegan Island 10 miles out on the horizon, nor can I see Pemaquid Point lighthouse, which is 2-3000 feet from my log cabin! I have shorts on. If you win the BC, remember, your golden retrievers will win the luxurious Doggie Barn!:DB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 2, 2012 at 1:36 pm
  7. Love the design!

Jo E on August 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm
  8. Mary, I'm not trying to get in your business, or hound you about the way in which you shepherd the blog, but is there any chance you could give us a new topic to chew on? I have a mastiff desire to at leash discuss another topic before the virtual tour begins on Aug. 13th ! You gave us a real treat with the pick of the litter pictures of the blog cabin crashers, and Anitra's beautifully designed sheltie providing doghouse.
    Got any good pics of the loyal and golden haired Jason Cameron? I wouldn't want Jason to howl at being left out in the yard too long at the blog house, and not let inside to sit, his own due time on the blog. His Desperate Landscape pics don't have to be the best in show, just something dandie, to get the blog out of the pits. My pointer is Mary, this doggie topic seems to have come to a finnish.
    Thanks Mary for even reading this bull !

Mel on August 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm
    • You are right Mel ~ wouldn't want to BOX Jason in a corner :P
      : ) Hee Hee :) Couldn't resist! Such a creative force you are Mel!

Lilly on August 3, 2012 at 3:38 pm
    • LOL Lilly!
      I've been in training, reading the great works of the top dog of pun fun himself, DBCoop!

If he joins in, watch out, his wit is endless. Of course there are some other talented punners on here as well. When LLColeman held a fishing pun contest in October she awarded several lobstaah bibs as trophies!

Mel on August 3, 2012 at 6:35 pm
    • Thanks Mel !! I'm usually the one begging Mary like a little puppy for new pics and a new thread…but I have been side tracked lately.. I was wondering why we haven't seen any Pics of Jason doing his great landscaping in the front of the BC…He should be getting top billing just like everyone else did..I bet Jason could do a great howl at the moon!!!.

Jennie/Florida on August 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm
    • Jennie, when I was writing this, I was honestly thinking, I'm doing Jennies' job here, asking Mary for a new blog topic! How awesome that you wrote that in your punny post :)

Jason howling at the moon, that I would love to see! I'd watch him on the DIY network reading names out of a phone book. :)
      He is so talented and (don't tell my husband I said this) HOT !! I'm ready to see pictures of Jason on the blog.

Mel on August 3, 2012 at 7:12 pm
    • Hi Mel, I was just thinking today, it's time to plead with Mary for something new…A week of the Doggie Condo is wearing down and I don't have a dog so I read the blogs but didn't respond…
      When I saw your post, I smiled and said thank you Mel, now I don't have to plead.
      I'm with you,…Jason could just sit and do nothing and that would please me. When you have the whole package you don't have to do anything, you know what I mean? Not only does he have the looks, he has a great personality to go with it, also entertaining while doing his craft…
      I wonder why they didn't feature him when showing those last pics with the rest of the DIY'ers??? What's up with that??? Not fair to him…Can't wait to see the Virtual tour!!! It's been FOREVER since we were first introduced to the BC in Waldoboro…Don't you think???? Have a good evening!!!!

Jennie/Florida on August 3, 2012 at 8:54 pm
    • Jennie I thought Mary might have given us the crasher blog to highlight "crasher week" on the network. I was glad to see she had a special blog planned for Anitra. I'm hoping she has a nice blog topic and pictures planned for Jason!
      Yes it feels like it has been Forever since we met the Maine reno! When we finally see inside, I will be looking for some incorporated blogger requests in the decor, and the items that won the P/C vote.
      I'm grateful the front & backyard landscaping reflects several requests that were made on the blog this year. It might be cheesy for me to say this, but it makes me feel a sense of validation to see some suggestions we discussed on this blog actually be done in and outside of the home.

Mel on August 4, 2012 at 9:00 am
    • ha ha, Mel–i was thinking , " Mel must be under the spell of the full moon–OwwWOOO…" You do appreciate all the efforts of the landscape professionals, of course, but I can tell you enjoy the "Show" along with the "Tell"….;)

I am sure Coop will soon " pick up the scent" of the canine puns floating on the blog, but I don't want to hound him into participating–that could be a bone of contention…

LLColeman on August 4, 2012 at 3:43 am
    • LOL LLColeman ! Yep the landscapers are my favs :)

Mel on August 4, 2012 at 9:51 pm
    • Mine toooooo!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on August 6, 2012 at 6:50 pm
  9. My babies would LOVE this!!!!

Kellie Bliss on August 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm
  10. I agree with Anitra……..I like an animal rescue and no kill shelter.
    I love my furry little four-legged friend (doggie).

Summer on August 4, 2012 at 9:54 am