Jul 27

Enter for a Chance to Win the Dog Condo!

Blog Cabin 2012 Dog Condo Anitra Mecadon

Remember the dog house designs you voted on during our People’s Choice program? Anitra Mecadon, an avid dog lover and animal rescue and no-kill shelter advocate, and her Mega Dens crew built both!

The winning Dog Barn design is a fixture at Blog Cabin 2012. The Dog Condo was donated by DIY Network and the Petco Foundation to the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society, an organization that provides a safe haven for over 5,500 sick, homeless and abused animals in the greater Androscoggin area per year. The condo features a removable roof, an outdoor patio and a plexiglass sunroom and comes complete with pet supplies courtesy of Petco and signed autographs by Anitra and her crew.

Even more exciting news? The Dog Condo will be raffled off during the 16th Annual Strutt Your Mutt Dog Walk and Pet Festival on Saturday, September 15, 2012, at Petco in Auburn. All proceeds from the raffle will directly benefit the Humane Society. Raffle tickets are available for $5 each or three for $10 and can be purchased at the Humane Society or printed off their web site at SavingPetsInMaine.org.

“It is an honor to be part of this truly unique experience; not only unique for our shelter but for the residents of Maine,” says Steven Dostie, executive director of the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society. “We are very grateful to Anitra and her Mega Dens crew for donating their time and talent to benefit our cause. We hope the community shares in our excitement and this special opportunity to be part of something extraordinary!”

“Blog Cabin was the perfect opportunity for us to have a positive impact on a local level and a great way to give back to Maine and say thank you! I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to design and build a doggie condo to donate to the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society,” says Anitra. “Now I don’t know about you, but when I think of Maine, I think of lobster and barns. What you are seeing is my modern interpretation of a barn, and yes, it is lobster red. I can’t lie to you. I love the finished product so much I wanted to keep it. Whoever ends up with it is going to be one lucky pup!”

• Posted at 11:48 am on July 7, 2012

1. I love this idea of a fellow blogger getting to maybe win the doggie condo and that the proceeds are going to go help more animals right here in Maine. Thank you to DIY for giving back :) :)

heaven-bound23 on July 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm
    • We bought 4 tickets, one each. We don't have a dog but, if we were to be so fortunate as to win this uxury dog home, we'll be donating it to our local animal shelter. Hopefully, they can again rafle it and raise money. We look at it as the gift that can keep giving. ^_^

Clive on July 29, 2012 at 6:54 pm
    • Love that idea!

MarleneD on July 29, 2012 at 11:20 pm
    • What a great idea Clive!!! I would probably do the same only because I do have a dog but he does not get ever left out hooked or roaming on his own so he would really not have any use for this dog house. Thank you :)

heaven-bound23 on July 30, 2012 at 10:34 am
  2. You're welcome Heaven-bound23. Your blogger name is cool ! If you win the Maine blog house, you sure will be heaven bound :)

Mel on July 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm
  3. I love this doggie condo and my dog Gracie would feel like a princess cause she was a southern girl rescue!

Patti on July 29, 2012 at 9:10 pm
  4. Raffles are against the law in Utah, as it is considered gambling. But I donate to Best Friends, a animal rescue in Utah, all the time, The doggie condo is very nice.

vicki_in_Utah on July 30, 2012 at 7:50 am
  5. My golden retrievers would love squeezing and cuddling in the doggie condo if I could keep them out of the water!!!

Trudy2Patoodie on July 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm
    • Trudy2Patoodie, I thought this doggie condo was a little small for big dogs. That would be funny to see your golden retriever try to get in.

vicki_in_Utah on July 31, 2012 at 7:28 am
    • I have three and they all get in one dog crate together rather than their own.It' s a crate of red fur, paws everywhere and laughing faces with big pink tongues hanging out!

Trudy2Patoodie on August 2, 2012 at 12:22 pm
    • Trudy, I hope you have gotten a photo of them all in the crate !

LLColeman on August 3, 2012 at 3:38 am
  6. Nice

DnV on July 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm
  7. Is that a faux rock stereo speaker near Anitra's feet? How fun would that be for one lucky dog to have music playing just outside his condo. I love it!!
    P.S. My doggie and I listen to rock and roll………so please, play me something from the 70's or 80's.

Summer on July 31, 2012 at 10:23 am
    • Hey Summer – I was wondering what that was! I kept trying to picture some kind of a doggie face sketched into it but was not able to figure it out. Thanks for the info! Music is supposed to have a calming effect on our furrry friends :) Have a great Day! Lilly

Lilly on July 31, 2012 at 3:47 pm
    • Hahahahah we must put on the radio,stereo or Tv whenever a storms brewing.
      Lol, that would be cute, and yes those were the good years;)

MaryPA on July 31, 2012 at 11:01 pm
  8. The 13th day in the month of a blue moon. How many of you are superstitious? I think I’ll try my luck and enter just once. After all, if the saying is true, that’s all I’ll need to do. ;)

Clive on July 31, 2012 at 10:52 pm
    • What's the blue moon phase.;) Good luck to you:D

MaryPA on July 31, 2012 at 11:04 pm
    • This month is the month of a 'blue' moon (by commonly accepted lore). That means there are two full moons in August this year. The first is tonight, the second (the 'blue' moon) is August 31st. So the 13th will actually be a waning crescent of the first full moon and not quite in the phase of the 'blue' moon.

However, the Maine Farmers Almanac makes a 'blue' moon the third of four full moons in any season (most seasons have 3) rather than the second full moon in a month. This August they happen to coincide – more luck perhaps for someone :)

They're not quite as rare as the expression would have you believe and occur once in about every 2 yrs and 9 months if you go by the Farmers Almanac definition of a 'blue' moon. However, I believe this is the first time a 'blue' moon has coincided with the launch of the Blog Cabin sweepstakes.

Maybe we can have a picture of the full moon over the house or water – hint, hint ;)

Clive on August 1, 2012 at 10:54 am
    • Thanks Clive,
      That's some interesting info. I'm thinking that would make for an excellent picture,oh I could just see that reflection off of the shoreline.xD ;)

MaryPA on August 3, 2012 at 5:23 pm
    • Clive I gave you your full moon over the water—it wasn't the Medomak River, but Pemaquid Point Light, in front of Gary's and my log cabin the past 2 weeks. It is posted with the Money Tree shots and Barn pictures on Home_Girl's site http://www.yourespecialtoo.com down where there's a link to Blog Cabin Pictures! Enjoy! Brought everyone a 2 lb Lobstah too!:pxD;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm
    • Thanks for those photos!

MaryMead on August 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm
    • Clive – that day is my birthday! I hope that means double luck for me!

Nebraska on August 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm
    • I hope it does too. Last year an academic won it on her birthday. Why not have another win it on her birthday day entry – with a blue moon thrown into the mix also . ^_^

Clive on August 1, 2012 at 2:25 pm
    • LOL. my birthday was the same day ( 10/7) also–I guess my being double Libra edged me off in favor of Carol ! Maybe the blue moon will be Nebraska's lucky talisman !!

LLColeman on August 4, 2012 at 3:32 am
  9. Very cool indeed!

I thought another…modified version ….could be made for the chickens that are across the road. :) Now,we'd know the answer to the question: Why did the chicken cross the road?

Looking forward to the Blog Cabin '12 shows.

Trish on August 1, 2012 at 10:05 am
  10. Ok….I couldn't wait to sneak a peak of this cabin. Did you know….the Blog Cabin '12 videos claim to show you remodels (sister site) are ENTIRELY the same. Is this a mistake? Or, is DIY preparing the videos and creating the space on the site prior to actually presenting this to us? Or, do they know that peeps like me will try to view the space before others do. Since I live FAR from Maine, I can't sneak around and look through the windows/doors of the cabin. SO….I make do by finding secret passageways through the DIY site. This time, it's tightened up. Gosh…..guess I'll have to wait like the rest of you.

Trish on August 1, 2012 at 10:20 am