Jul 27

Enter for a Chance to Win the Dog Condo!

Blog Cabin 2012 Dog Condo Anitra Mecadon

Remember the dog house designs you voted on during our People’s Choice program? Anitra Mecadon, an avid dog lover and animal rescue and no-kill shelter advocate, and her Mega Dens crew built both!

The winning Dog Barn design is a fixture at Blog Cabin 2012. The Dog Condo was donated by DIY Network and the Petco Foundation to the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society, an organization that provides a safe haven for over 5,500 sick, homeless and abused animals in the greater Androscoggin area per year. The condo features a removable roof, an outdoor patio and a plexiglass sunroom and comes complete with pet supplies courtesy of Petco and signed autographs by Anitra and her crew.

Even more exciting news? The Dog Condo will be raffled off during the 16th Annual Strutt Your Mutt Dog Walk and Pet Festival on Saturday, September 15, 2012, at Petco in Auburn. All proceeds from the raffle will directly benefit the Humane Society. Raffle tickets are available for $5 each or three for $10 and can be purchased at the Humane Society or printed off their web site at SavingPetsInMaine.org.

“It is an honor to be part of this truly unique experience; not only unique for our shelter but for the residents of Maine,” says Steven Dostie, executive director of the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society. “We are very grateful to Anitra and her Mega Dens crew for donating their time and talent to benefit our cause. We hope the community shares in our excitement and this special opportunity to be part of something extraordinary!”

“Blog Cabin was the perfect opportunity for us to have a positive impact on a local level and a great way to give back to Maine and say thank you! I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to design and build a doggie condo to donate to the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society,” says Anitra. “Now I don’t know about you, but when I think of Maine, I think of lobster and barns. What you are seeing is my modern interpretation of a barn, and yes, it is lobster red. I can’t lie to you. I love the finished product so much I wanted to keep it. Whoever ends up with it is going to be one lucky pup!”

• Posted at 11:48 am on July 7, 2012

1. Great job Anitra and the crew, lobster red, perfect^_^ That's going to be one lucky pooch. Rufff.Rufff, meow don't forget me hahahaha lol hmmm the kitty condo.:D PS. The Androscoggin Humane Society has a big wish list ;)

MaryPA on July 28, 2012 at 2:14 am
    • Mary ~ Thank you for the scoop on the WISH LIST — Found it on the Androscoggin Humane Society web site.. Decided to send $card so they could get what they REALLY want and need.
      Are you looking forward to the lower temperatures as much as I am?!? I feel like a mushroom this year – staying indoors, lights low, and trying to keep cool!! I believe I will be making up for my "Cabin Fever" come this Fall when the temperatures are a bit more tolerable. Get it?! Hee hee! CABIN FEVER! OH I CAN'T WAIT FOR AUGUST 13!

Lilly on August 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm
    • Lilly,
      I'm sure they will like anything they receive.Oh those poor animals,but with the bloggers help, they may be able to get more then they need. I do hope people are a little generous,with this economy any tiny amount adds up. Oh it here, cool weather,for how long??? Yep IT"S ALMOST HERE 8/13 ;) xD<3:D

MaryPA on August 6, 2012 at 9:41 pm
  2. Have all of you DIY Blog Cabin lovers seen this http://www.multivu.com/players/English/53968-diy-

Mel on July 28, 2012 at 9:15 am
    • Nice!

MarleneD on July 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm
    • Thank you Mel for the link. Good picture of the front of the house.

YankeeNuke on July 28, 2012 at 2:23 pm
    • Fellow devoted bloggies, I'd keep a check on this link, might be a work in progress? Either I missed seeing the last three pics when I found it this morning and posted it, or they have added three more pics. The last pic I remember seeing this morning was of Grundy & Matt M putting legs on the master bed.
      It was very early, I was trying to beat the heat, and get out in my garden, so I was surfing through the link pretty fast!

Mel on July 28, 2012 at 5:36 pm
    • Thanks Mel, that is a great pix of the front of the house. But a little deciving. I had to really look hard to see the road. And remember Chris is across the road from the front of the house.

vicki_in_Utah on July 30, 2012 at 6:49 pm
    • Vicki the home is so close to the road ! The picture of Grundy & Jason in the front yard, with Grundy standing on top of a boulder shows they ripped out a huge amount, (possibly all) of the original front yard, there's nothing around them but dirt. I guess when we see the show we'll see how they manuevered in this small yard, and if they did this more by hand or using equipment. Landscaping is truly hard work–either way that crew worked really, really hard !

Mel on July 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm
    • Hi Mel,
      How are you!!! How the heck did you find this web site? Very nice!,Thank You!….What a beautiful picture of the transformed blog beauty! Lovely picture!…… and there is Chris. He really gets around. lol
      Hope your renovation came out just the way you wanted it.
      Take Care. Good Luck with your entries for the blog cabin!
      Windee :)

Windee ;) on August 1, 2012 at 9:44 pm
    • Hi Windee, I'm enjoying a much anticipated long weekend off work, with few specific plans, just puttering around the house, and cat naps or doggie naps at will….. It was great to sleep in late, and be able to jump on the blog with a rested brain!
      To find this link, I googled, Chris Grundy blog cabin, and up it popped. Usually DIY will release some press snipets to the web prior to the virtual tour, not much this year though.
      Our renovation did come out looking very nice, in fact we are convinced it makes some other areas of our home look horrible! Isn't that the way it goes? When you start improving an area of your home, you see the blaring UGLY + out dated everywhere else.
      You take care too Windee, and good luck with blog cabin, UO, and any Scripps sweeps you enter. Like everyone else, I would be thrilled to see someone so passionate over these projects ( bloggers are for sure) win one of these prizes!

Mel on August 3, 2012 at 9:54 am
    • Hi Mel,
      Hope you enjoyed your long weekend! Good to do that every now and then :) Good idea to google Chris's name. I would have never thought to do that, thanks :) Who says you can't teach an older dog new tricks….LOL. Thanks :)
      So now that room looks very nice will you be going from room to room?( Hope you win the lotto if that is the plan :) . If the improvements in other areas aren't major ones there is a lot you can do to change or improve the look just making basic changes, not that it looks bad, but it will better or more in keeping with the new room?. Even just chaning the color paint on walls and trim can make a big difference. Maybe some recessed lighting or it that is too much, picture lights, New window treatments? I better stop now, can go on and on.If you need any help or more ideas let me know, I would be happy to help.
      I too hope a fellow blogger wins!! Agree with you how nice that would be! Good Luck to you with your entry for the Blog Cabin….Who know's you could be packing and moving and let someone else make improvements in the old house. Good Luck to you with your entry!……Windee :)

Windee :) on August 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm
    • Thanks Mel!

minitoni on August 11, 2012 at 10:08 am
  3. Hey Mel thanks so much for the link. There were some photos that I hadn't seen yet. Just Super!

Flashy on July 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm
    • You're welcome Flashy. I like the way that link works, it's a really cool design.

Mel on July 28, 2012 at 5:19 pm
  4. My 10 months German Shepard would love to have that dog house!

Liz on July 28, 2012 at 3:54 pm
  5. That has more stile then the house I live in now!!!:'(

asandmancan on July 28, 2012 at 6:30 pm
  6. We have always adopted our beautiful pup's (dogs) from the humane society. They have always been sooo Loving and protective. Never had the need to purchase one, with millions without a HOME. The Doggie barn is fantastic! My big puppy is an in door Dog, but, I'm sure the doggie barn could be moved on the deck with the family by the fire place.

11241224 on July 28, 2012 at 7:04 pm
    • Exactly! What inside dog would need this?

RescueME on August 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm
    • I'm thinkinging on the same lines as a few, Donate the barn to do a better Good!

11241224 on August 8, 2012 at 12:18 am
  7. Greetings Fellow Bloggers! The FABULOUS FIDO CONDO is awesome!!
    Was wondering if anyone else is getting directed to this link — (gahumane.org) Please let me know about the re-direct I don't have a warm and fuzzy :( I may just sit out on this possible "win" and mail some needed items the organization had listed instead…

Lilly on July 28, 2012 at 8:00 pm
  8. I Its wonderful to see so many people who care about animals. I love the dogie house, but I bet my Pot belly would love it more.

ffp on July 29, 2012 at 8:51 am
    • ffp, I am assuming you meant a pot belly pig! LOL

AnneEliseSouth on July 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm
  9. While our blog topic has temporarily gone to the dogs I wanted to share this link.
    Interior design that centers around man's best friend is an intriguing idea http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1742603/list/The-D

Mel on July 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm
    • I hope AnneElise sees this…there are a lot of Golden Retrievers in the photos ! Maybe her Maggie could have a future as an interior design canine model ? ;)

LLColeman on July 30, 2012 at 4:37 am
    • Thanks Mel that was great. But I didn't see any Yorkies..LOL..

vicki_in_Utah on July 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm
    • Hi Vicki, Yorkies are so cute! I do believe they could inspire a beautiful room decor :)

Mel on July 30, 2012 at 7:46 pm
    • They are cute but my two are brats. LOL..

vicki_in_Utah on July 31, 2012 at 7:27 am
  10. This doggie condo is just the right size for my pup. He is going to love spending time in his outdoor space on warm sunny summer days. Thank you!

Summer on July 29, 2012 at 2:39 pm