Jul 27

Enter for a Chance to Win the Dog Condo!

Blog Cabin 2012 Dog Condo Anitra Mecadon

Remember the dog house designs you voted on during our People’s Choice program? Anitra Mecadon, an avid dog lover and animal rescue and no-kill shelter advocate, and her Mega Dens crew built both!

The winning Dog Barn design is a fixture at Blog Cabin 2012. The Dog Condo was donated by DIY Network and the Petco Foundation to the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society, an organization that provides a safe haven for over 5,500 sick, homeless and abused animals in the greater Androscoggin area per year. The condo features a removable roof, an outdoor patio and a plexiglass sunroom and comes complete with pet supplies courtesy of Petco and signed autographs by Anitra and her crew.

Even more exciting news? The Dog Condo will be raffled off during the 16th Annual Strutt Your Mutt Dog Walk and Pet Festival on Saturday, September 15, 2012, at Petco in Auburn. All proceeds from the raffle will directly benefit the Humane Society. Raffle tickets are available for $5 each or three for $10 and can be purchased at the Humane Society or printed off their web site at SavingPetsInMaine.org.

“It is an honor to be part of this truly unique experience; not only unique for our shelter but for the residents of Maine,” says Steven Dostie, executive director of the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society. “We are very grateful to Anitra and her Mega Dens crew for donating their time and talent to benefit our cause. We hope the community shares in our excitement and this special opportunity to be part of something extraordinary!”

“Blog Cabin was the perfect opportunity for us to have a positive impact on a local level and a great way to give back to Maine and say thank you! I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to design and build a doggie condo to donate to the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society,” says Anitra. “Now I don’t know about you, but when I think of Maine, I think of lobster and barns. What you are seeing is my modern interpretation of a barn, and yes, it is lobster red. I can’t lie to you. I love the finished product so much I wanted to keep it. Whoever ends up with it is going to be one lucky pup!”

• Posted at 11:48 am on July 7, 2012

1. I love it — a doggie barn! Perfect to go with my Blog Cabin. Thanks DIY, and thanks Anitra and the Mega Dens crew for building it and Petco of Auburn and the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society for the raffle and opportunity to support a great cause and possibly win this one-of-a-kind doggie dream home. Some very lucky dog will enjoy lounging on the outdoor patio or in that plexiglass sunroom!

DBCoop on July 27, 2012 at 12:33 pm
  2. Is there any doubt Anitra has mad design & build SkillZ? That is one cool "modern barn" influenced doggie condo :)
    A Great cause too! I hope you guys raise a bunch of cash for the Humane Society.
    I have to ask, "Did a local auto body shop paint the condo?" CheerY red, or cherry red, I'm loving the locally inspired color.

Excited Blogger shout out:
    Anitra you & your boys Joey & Mikey Rock !! Y'all create the ultimate in family room spaces!
    Absolutely Love your designs and show Mega Dens–can't wait to see what y'all did in the Mega Dens space at the blog house. One of your recent shows content & title, – Too Pretty to DIY — had me laughing out loud.
    In spite of being really gorgeous Anitra, you really can DIY !! If nothing else, the homeowner on that show learned good looking people can & do DIY :)

Mel on July 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm
  3. Coolest dog condo EVER! Lucky dog!

SLS on July 27, 2012 at 2:09 pm
  4. Kudos on the canine condo. Nice flat roof for climbing canines. I especially like the removable roof idea, great for cleaning, and polishing the plexiglass. If you own a dog that likes to "borrow" things, you can check inside his house easily.
    Now, what is they say about dogs who live in glass houses?

AnneEliseSouth on July 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm
    • I think that saying goes something like "dogs who live in glass houses shouldn't throw bones."

DBCoop on July 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm
    • Doggone it, I think that's it, make no bones about it!

AnneEliseSouth on July 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm
    • Coop, I think I heard Terri snickering….

LLColeman on July 28, 2012 at 3:59 am
    • celeste & marlee are definitely figuring out how to hide their stuff inside wonder what the shipping cost on this will be? LOL entered anyway.

minitoni on August 11, 2012 at 10:01 am
  5. One lucky pup, indeed!!! My pooch would love this house! What more could a dog ask for? A huge yard to run and play……..and now a dog house too. Yay!

Summer on July 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm
  6. YankeeNuke, I read in another thread that you sometimes miss posts addressed to you. So at the risk of being a pest, I'm copy/pasting my last response to you, in the string regarding your submarine career, here:

"Thank you for your service, Sir.

So how intense did it get during a storm? I would think it would be calmer under the water than on its surface.

By heavy maneuvers, do you mean sharp turns and emergency blows and stuff like that?

What was the hairiest experience you had while submerged?

And what was the longest period of time your vessel stayed submerged?

And did you ever get the launch codes by mistake and almost bring an end to the world as we know it?

By the way, did I mention that I watch too many submarine movies? :-D "

(Forgive me for stalking you, but I think you had a fascinating career. And how often does one get to chat with someone who worked on a sub?)

Dashright on July 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm
    • You are welcome, happy to have done it.
      It was not as bad as being on the surface, but a submarine is round ans very little roll resistance due to it hull shape. Add to that the sail acting like a big push-pull handle on top of the cylinder, with no corresponding handle on the bottom. The other factor is the actual effect that a wave has on the water, which is a rolling motion. On missile boats the flat superstructure can be affected by a wave traveling the length of the sub creating a suction, moving the sub up.
      Sometimes it was worse the deeper that we went because of the wave action.
      We stayed submerged for 74 days on one trip. Usually it was about 60 days, I am not sure what the patrol cycle is for the newer missile boats.
      The launch code process is very secure, don't believe everything that you see in movies.
      No hairy experiences, just calm cool 4-6 knot patrolling.

YankeeNuke on July 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm
    • Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really enjoyed reading your response. :-)

Dashright on July 30, 2012 at 10:50 pm
    • THank you for your service. YankeeNuke. Hunting bears was your specialty according to a P3 crewman I know or maybe theirs was hunting bears who were hunting your quite screws. Hmm gotta get back to you on that one.

minitoni on August 11, 2012 at 10:03 am
    • You are welcome, as I have said I enjoyed my service very much. The bears were Russian planes that were used for submarine hunting, so we hid from them as well as other assets that our cold war "enemies" had. We even hid from the P-3's. After I was off active duty the technology improved quite a bit and they were more effective, but a submarine also has a lot of tools to help it hide.

YankeeNuke on August 11, 2012 at 10:53 am
  7. Both my pound pups would love this! Cindy-Lou-Who would be nestled inside under a blanket and Frankie would be king of the hill on top! Who am I kidding… they'll both be inside the house with me!! :)

MarleneD on July 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm
    • As it should be…not sure how I feel about raffling off something that encourages having dogs outside.

RescueME on August 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm
    • I'm thinking that my 2 youngest grandchildren would have a great time with it; should probably make the roof off-limits thought. That's how I broke my wrist when I was 5 years old.

Home lover on August 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm
    • Hi Rhonda, how is your Mom doing? It's great she has her own family nurses. They will take extra good care of her…I hope she just had a minor set back….We Pray that she will start improving real soon….I hope we hear for you soon with good news!!! Take care….

Jennie/Florida on August 5, 2012 at 9:59 pm
    • thanks Jennie for prayers and concern,
      they finally got her on some pain pills and she seems to be doing better. Now maybe her heart rate will go down and she'll be able to start using that leg.

home_girl on August 6, 2012 at 8:55 am
    • thats……..from you soon

Jennie/Florida on August 10, 2012 at 8:42 am
  8. Watching this doggie barn go from idea to done was so much fun…..loved being there, watching it take form. My little frenchie Ruby even tried it out when we we're at blog and she loved it….xoxo Victoria

Victoria Lesser on July 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm
    • My compliments to Rubys' keen sense of style!

Victoria thanks for blogging with us :)
      xoxo Mel

Mel on July 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm
    • I was hoping to see a photo of Ruby this year, along with the Big Danes…I hope your summer is going well. Some spots in NY State have had such bouts of weather…..

LLColeman on July 28, 2012 at 4:02 am
    • Ruby was actually shown with the house on the show "Posh Pets" with Anitra. I should find a way to get her cute face posted….In the meantime all is well in Upstate NY, miss all the Blog Cabin crew and I'm looking forward to seeing the shows air soon….will stay in touch xo Victoria

Victoria Lesser on August 2, 2012 at 10:44 pm
    • I missed that show ! i will be on the lookout for repeat showings or online viewing. I was happily surprised to see Courthouse Construction represented–all the way from VA !!
      The crew looked like so much fun…no doubt they made the bad weather and hard work really worth the trouble. <3

LLColeman on August 4, 2012 at 3:28 am
    • how did we miss that? ;)

minitoni on August 11, 2012 at 10:05 am
  9. Finally the mystery is solved; I now know what that red wooden box shape thing is that I saw in the BC back yard this spring.
    I thought is might be some kind of rabbit/chicken hutch or something. Someone else thought it might have something to do with the barn, someone else thought it was something for the house. Guess we all was right in one way or another. It is a red barn, an home for a animal, that can go outside the house. So you put all our guesses together and you get dog house :-)

Love the idea of helping the animals, thanks Anitra for giving of your time. Best wishes to the lucky dog that wins this wonderful home.

home_girl on July 27, 2012 at 6:38 pm
    • Home_girl I love when a mystery gets solved, especially when it is one concerning the blog house.
      Thanks for sharing!

Mel on July 27, 2012 at 8:26 pm
    • Hi Home_ girl, I don't know why my reply to you ended up under MarleneD's Post above…strange things are happening……Sorry you have to chase it down…But my hearts in the right place!!!!.

Jennie/Florida on August 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm
    • OOPS, I only have one heart…

Jennie/Florida on August 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm
  10. I will let my Husky, her name is Blue, speak about the dog condo. "Arf. Arf, arf, arf, bark. Bark. Arf. Arf. (tail wag).
    Meaning. "Wow, I love that doggy condo!"

Hawkweed on July 27, 2012 at 9:28 pm