Jul 24

Choose the Blog Cabin 2012 Banner

Blog Cabin 2012 Banner Vote

Today, I invite you to participate in a very special poll. Our visual designer created four possible banners, one of which we will post along with the virtual home tour on August 13, 2012. We’d like you to help us choose the best design.

Please review the banners and pop back here to cast your vote. Voting closes on August 3, 2012, at 5 p.m. ET. The winning banner will be posted on August 13, 2012, at around 9 a.m. ET. Keep checking Blog Cabin Central for the updated look.

• Posted at 4:19 pm on July 7, 2012

1. To harmonize with the surrounding scenery, to enter into the spirit of the landscape, is the highest beauty of a domestic building. —- Sir J. J. Thomas

With such a beautiful subject, all of the banners are beautiful, but my favorite is the back deck at dusk.

The installation of the Trex decking with the hidden fastners and screws makes the floor of this deck look as welcoming to bare feet as carpet. Someone is going to be so friggin' lucky.

Mel on July 27, 2012 at 1:38 pm
    • HEAR! HEAR! Sir J.J. Thomas ~ inspiring quote MEL!

TREX decking would certainly be welcomed by these 10 little piggies!

Seems as if our deck was built with whatever leftover lumber was available so there are lots of odd pieces with lots nails, lots of warping, and of course LOTS of splinters! (I FEEL YOUR PAIN JOSH!) Did Chris do a good job of taking it out? Hope so! Needless to say outdoor carpeting is a necessity.

OH ! You might get a chuckle out of this! The RAILING on our deck – - When we originally looked at this house I had mentioned to our Realtor that I did not believe the railing was" to code" as it was hip high on this 5'3'' gal. Well, when we purchased it was to be fixed… They "FIXED" it all right! By putting another 2X4 RIGHT ON TOP of the other!! Picture it! A 2X4 sandwich all the way around the top of the spindles!! Now 3 yrs later – the additional warping in between the 2X4's has created a perfect hiding spot for bees and spiders! :( NO FUN :( Hey Chris are you good at getting Bee Stingers out too ??? :P

Lilly on July 28, 2012 at 12:30 am
    • LOL Lilly, Yep your post proves how important it is to properly install a deck!
      The blog house deck will be maintenance free, (just an occasional cleaning required) with no chance of splinters or nails injuring those 10 little piggies of yours :) No warping either, and aesthetically she's a beauty! I got so excited too when I saw in the fourth banner option DIY had put in a flagstone walkway behind the curved portion of the deck. With the combination of fieldstone and boulders used with the plantings, flagstone walkways, circular cobblestone patio, and stone fireplace, I KNOW I'll need to be wearing a bib for the backyard virtual tour reveal, less there be drool all over my keyboard!
      With Maines' four seasons what a blast to use & enjoy all of the backyard bling while taking in that beautiful view……aahhhhhhh. This is what my backyard dreams are made of!

Mel on July 28, 2012 at 9:06 am
    • Save your Lobstah bib! It will come in handy for the big reveal! Can't wait to see it all — Love all the day dreams and picturing myself walking along the pathways soaking it all in ~ AHH!! I wonder if they have any Lobstah bib's that have the extra large pouch at the bottom?!? :P Happy Day All Day!

Lilly on July 28, 2012 at 12:05 pm
    • Couldn't agree more. I too chose the back deck for the banner. I think with the soft lighting and the deck etc it looks like a very romantic spot, a very comfortable place to be. I love the outdoors, so that is my choice. If I may borrow your sentiment, sure hope one fellow blogger is the one who will be 'friggin' lucky. :) lol
      Windee :)

Windee ;) on August 1, 2012 at 9:52 pm
  2. The deck is my favorite pic!!! It illuminates the most stricking Diy, Blog Cabin blessing! The property and waterfront! The home we all know will be spectacular because DIY and the gang "rocks"( no pun intended), with every prodject they do. From the sneak peeks this blog cabin, I absolutely love it already , and can't wait for this drawing. I am keep'in the faith and hoping God grants this blessing to, "Me" and my family in "Me" ;) haha Good Luck and God's Blessings to everyONE!!!

Anne on July 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm
  3. This is off topic, but I know there are bloggers on here that really adore Ahmed Hassan and his landscaping designs. He is one of the DIY Network "likes" on their main Facebook page.

I really hope this is a good sign and he will be back on the DIY Network soon with a new show. I have missed Ahmed SO much!

Mel on July 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm
  4. All the banners are lovely as befitting this jewel of a home!

Elizabeth on July 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm
  5. Speaking of an overview of the location and land. I saw this post by: "Daydreamer" blogger and found a great deal of information to get us all throughly engrossed in dreaming about the Blog Cabin 2012! The banner's released today are stunning! I hope you find this informative for the ones who missed this. http://www.waldoboromaine.org/planningDevelopment
    Keep the Faith;)

Anne on July 27, 2012 at 7:43 pm
  6. Maine taxes alone on this home will be over the average cost of a home in Maine, but I would sell my current home in a heart beat and move in, beautiful finishes and workmanship inside and out. Good job to all involved.

dipalm on July 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm
    • That's not true, if it's a 750,000 house, est, then tax will be will be apprx 53,000, the average house (from the data I have read, is 100 to 150K) this house is going to be exceptional. So expect 53,000 …….. Any attorney's out there yet?. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

11241224 on July 28, 2012 at 6:32 pm
    • What tax are you referring to?

Sally on July 28, 2012 at 11:48 pm
    • My bad, state tax on just the proprty

11241224 on August 3, 2012 at 11:51 pm
    • That would be a low and surprising estimate and yes then state taxes would be about that. I was not specific enough… I was thinking of gift tax.

dipalm on August 2, 2012 at 1:34 pm
    • Gift tax doesn't apply in the case of this house and the sweepstakes. The winner will be required to pay income tax at about 35% of the ARV (the value DIY gives to the total prize). If the prize is valued at $500,000 the income tax payable by April tax deadline in 2013 is $175,000. There's no exceptions to this and asking for a deferral may cost you a lot more ultimately. If the value is $750,000 the tax is $262,500.

In addition, if the winner lives in a state that levies state income tax that must be paid in addition to the federal tax. After that there's annual property tax which, for this area may well be somewhere from $6-8,000 pa.judging from similar properties in the area.

The winner needs to consider all this before deciding to keep the prize so getting good and impartial professional advice is essential.

Sally on August 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm
    • Yes, you are right. 33%

11241224 on August 3, 2012 at 11:55 pm
  7. The banners are nice, but the back deck picture makes me think about how hard it might be to get home owners ins., with no rails next to the stairs!

Angelways on July 28, 2012 at 5:29 pm
    • Not a factor at all. HOI is not in any way affected by handrails on a deck.

Sally on July 28, 2012 at 11:50 pm
    • Thanks Sally,I'm glad to hear that they are O.K. with that in Maine,because it looks good like it is.

Angelways on July 29, 2012 at 8:58 am
  8. Each one is beautiful in it's own right…sneak peaks into what will be heaven on earth for someone.

Darby on July 29, 2012 at 6:22 pm
    • AMEN Darby!!! You are so right and I can only hope & pray that it is one of us bloggers :)

heaven-bound23 on July 30, 2012 at 10:38 am
  9. Home looks incredible…Back Deck at Dusk would look fabulous :)

olive on July 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm
  10. very hard to choose, like the back of the house at night & the view of the backyard

Rose on July 30, 2012 at 11:42 pm