Jul 24

Choose the Blog Cabin 2012 Banner

Blog Cabin 2012 Banner Vote

Today, I invite you to participate in a very special poll. Our visual designer created four possible banners, one of which we will post along with the virtual home tour on August 13, 2012. We’d like you to help us choose the best design.

Please review the banners and pop back here to cast your vote. Voting closes on August 3, 2012, at 5 p.m. ET. The winning banner will be posted on August 13, 2012, at around 9 a.m. ET. Keep checking Blog Cabin Central for the updated look.

• Posted at 4:19 pm on July 7, 2012

1. It is a mouthful but I happen to like the "Sunny High-Posted Cape" because it shows the trees, the house and the barn all in one frame, head on and the light is nice to look at. I also like how the colors look against the other colors in the background. Yes I like the backyard best of all with the view of the coast form the deck, but angled shots like that can be very misleading from an artistic viewpoint. The reason "Backdeck At Dust" is in the lead because it is easy to say? But sadly the dusk has no color in it and should say Backdeck in the Evening"? lol How about Dutch Neck at Night"? Sounds more sexy.

Hawkweed on July 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm
    • Romantic, how romantic. Bottle of champagne, dark chocolate, strawberries and your bff on the deck watching the sunset with Hawaiian slack key music softly in the background.

YankeeNuke on July 26, 2012 at 12:13 am
  2. I think that we all agree. There is plenty of room on the kitchen end of the house for a driveway, carport or garage.

YankeeNuke on July 26, 2012 at 12:09 am
  3. I simply must get back to work! (teacher) I have watched this blog daily this summer and have completely romanticized living in this home. When I look at the deck at dusk, I can't help but think of a Robert Frost poem…

Whose woods are these, I think I know,
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods…

The woods are lovely, dark and deep
    But I have promises to keep
    And miles to go before I sleep
    And miles to go before I sleep.

(Deep sigh!)

MarleneD on July 26, 2012 at 2:10 am
    • Bless all the teachers ! Soon many schools will be readying for the school year and all my teacher friends are going through that transition, too. Robert Frost would certainly love that property with the wooded acreage.

LLColeman on July 26, 2012 at 4:08 am
    • Fantantic , Robert Frost poem, Thank you for teaching our youths! You are truly one of a kind!

11241224 on August 4, 2012 at 12:15 am
    • MarleneD I second LLColeman! Bless you!
      To educate our youth is considered one of the highest virtues ~

Lilly on August 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm
  4. I am going to post this in a couple of places:

I live in a great community. Our city like many others is under budget constraints. One of those constraints had our city swimming pools operating at a lessened # of hours this summer. A private donor came forward and donated $100,000 to keep the pools open longer. He/she wants to remain anonymous. This person had a great empathy to our citizens who find the pools a great relief in this extended heat wave.

Nebraska on July 26, 2012 at 10:12 am
    • Hi Nebraska…What a Wonderful and Caring person this is to give a generous donation to help the Community with their budget problems. The children and their families need a place for cooling off during this extreme hot weather. This is an unusal heat wave that just continues to bake so many states…
      God Bless this Wonderful Kind Hearted person!
      It makes my heart feel good to know their are Citizens out there, who are willing to share their wealth with those who are in need …Thank you for sharing!

Jennie/Florida on July 26, 2012 at 11:55 am
    • Fantastic news, and kudos to the generous, anonymous donor for that thoughtful gift. <3

LLColeman on July 27, 2012 at 3:18 am
    • I would have to say that news does my heart good in this world of hearing all the negative and very little of the positive, so thank you Nebraska :) and even better is that the person did it not looking to get anything out of it!! Have lots of respect for people that truly are giving from the good of their heart. I worked for a long time for a very wealthy family and they gave so much to our community and helped sooooo many people personally in our small town but never ever wanted anyone to know it and I think how sad now that they are gone because the people that inherited all that are not keeping that same philosophy!!

heaven-bound23 on July 30, 2012 at 10:49 am
    • "Oh" heaven bound, You are absolutly Right, You are not getting thumbs up from this group because they are so into themselfves and their needs, they will never get it, soon as they see my sign on they will give you thumbs up.(more likly thumbs down) I wish you the best!!!!!!!

11241224 on August 4, 2012 at 12:54 am
    • What a kind and selfless gift that Donor gave the community! There are good people in this world and I thank you, Nebraska, for reminding us! How are you and Ms. Kitty holding up? I think of you a lot!^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 1, 2012 at 11:02 am
    • We are fine- Ms Kitty brought me one of Dear Lily's toys and dumped it on my lap and looked at me qiuzzically. I think she was saying "you dumb human don't you realize somebody is missing"? Then she took me on a tour of Lily's favorite hiding places. It is sad.

Nebraska on August 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm
    • OH Nebraska my heart aches thinking of the loss of your special furry loved one! :( I have been reading about your loss and wanted to give you a 'BIG HUG' ~ The unconditional love we receive from our furry one's seem to make it especially difficult to endure their absence from our from day to day lives. My first doggie crossed the rainbow bridge just as my husband was enroute to Iraq. OH! How I did not want to go back to my 'empty' house!! :( It was nice to have the support and love of friends who understood my bond with my Doggie and the stressful military lifestyle. Gather your friends close and accept those BIG HUGS Take care ~ Truly Lilly

Lilly on August 1, 2012 at 1:31 pm
    • Oh, Charlotte, Ms. Kitty is really mourning and showing great intelligence as well!!! It IS sad! How anguished you must be when Ms. Kitty tells such things and you cannot respond by placing Lily right back in one of her favorite hiding places. I join both of you in mourning for Lily. She sounds like a most wonderful fur girl! I hope you are feeling alright too. I think of you often and pray for your health situation to improve! <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm
    • What, somebody with a few bucks in the bank helped you out? GOOD LORD

11241224 on August 4, 2012 at 1:05 am
  5. This is the best yet. What a challenge for all of you to complete the task of revamping such a great piece of property in the sometimes difficult weather conditions. Being from Maine I appreciate the four seasons but not everyone does. I am hopeful to be a winner along with the other bloggers. Great Job!

Brenda on July 26, 2012 at 11:51 am
  6. I really like the fact that DYI designed the front of the house in keeping with the traditional look of a New England farmhouse. It tickles me that they let loose with the back of the house, although it still feels like a farmhouse, that curved lighted deck says this is not your grandma's farmhouse. I enjoy the element of the unexpected surprise, and the modern comforts of the backyard.
    From the road we're all prim and proper, but step around to the back, and it's party time. My kind of house.

AnneEliseSouth on July 26, 2012 at 3:24 pm
    • You can be Elegant Deck Party Girl, one night, and Barn Dance, Hoe Down Girl on another, AnneElise ! ;)

LLColeman on July 27, 2012 at 3:26 am
  7. If I hadn't been following the progress of the BC, I would not know that the Sunny High-Posted Cape was the front of the house. It looks like it is missing a focal point. But there are many beautiful views to focus on. I can't say that I was real happy with the area Victoria was working on in the kitchen. I like cottage views but this area looked too much like a barn for me as well as that it took up valuable space that could be used for more cabinets. Of course, they keep telling us this is supposed to be a vacation cabin. Will be interesting to see the whole house reveal.

Hazelnut Deb on July 26, 2012 at 3:36 pm
  8. Kitty, Forgot to say thanks for sharing info from your trip about the BC. The more info we get, the better we can picture things in our minds as we daydream.

Hazelnut Deb on July 26, 2012 at 3:42 pm
    • I'm glad the tidbits I shared could be helpful, Hazelnut Deb! I was really bummed about all the posted signs on the house side. With reasonably active traffic, I thought it reasonably wise to keep off but there was nothing new other than noting the blueberries planted and the pergola taken apart for some type of adjustment. Several of the plants in the front landscape show stress, and I can surely see or foresee a problem when the city snow plows come by. I agree with you about the front lacking a solid focal point. I will be getting with Home_ Girl's http://www.yourespecialtoo.com website soon as I can sift through photos hubby Gary took while I nursed my plant project. He may have 2-3 more back of barn photos to help us study options for restoration of the barn. I shall announce the post when I'm able to actually post! :)

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 26, 2012 at 4:39 pm
    • It just started raining about an hour ago (midnight , Thursday) , although it did look like it would all day.
      It was great getting to meet Kitty and Gary on Tuesday and I was honored to be able to assist with the plant project.

Camac on July 27, 2012 at 1:19 am
    • Good to know you got to meet Kitty and Gary, Camac. It's fun to know bloggers get to meet at the BC site especially……

LLColeman on July 27, 2012 at 3:24 am

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 26, 2012 at 4:39 pm
    • Well, that was strange! I only posted once–it duplicated itself! o.0 There was too much heavy overgrowth to measure the barn with our tape measure from the outside, and it was well padlocked, but my hubby, Gary, walked it off and, to the best we could calculate, the barn is about 40 X 80 ft; it could be converted to 2-story, as it has the height, it also has a large, partial, storage area below the main floor. The land is far more hilly than level, which surprised me as the pictures didn't seem to indicate this. There is a good sunny area beside the barn and beside the house for gardening, plus, one could keep the back yard in hay as the prior owners did. Someone apparently had an arrangement to come annually to hay the fields. They had just been cut when we got there. Next to the barn, I saw what appeared to have been, at one time, an old well. I believe that's where the hand pump may have been found. There was erosion evident around the concrete cover. It would be interesting to know whether it still had water deep down…. The house really doesn't look to be as large square footage-wise as has been described. Just some observations….B):D<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 26, 2012 at 5:14 pm
    • Hi Kitty, are you enjoying all the views around the BC?? Does it have very much land on the northside of the barn? Is it going to leave much land after it is divided for the Reserve. Surprised to hear the barn side is hilly, it doesn't appear to be in the photos…I was wondering, do you think their might be steps at the end of the deck by the M/B, to get access to the "dwarf" basement door without having to walk the length of the slippery deck in snow to get to the basement? Just a thought!! I hope you're having a great time, but getting rest in between your excursions….How long do you plan to be there? I hope the weather has gotten better, it's hard to enjoy anything in the rain! Unless your in Maine, I guess…I'm sure the B/F trees are loving the rain..Thank you for sharing! Have a restful night…..

Jennie/Florida on July 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm
    • There are three acres on the barn side that are still part of the BC land (on the house side there are 17 acres). The map they posted shows that the 3 acres goes back behind the barn and to the S. eastern property line. There's a little strip on the N.west side that was given to the Trust that goes up to Dutch Neck Rd.

AnniesOwn on July 26, 2012 at 10:46 pm
    • Hi Annie, from what I understand, it was 51 acres to start with and DIY donated 30 acres to MVLT…..so 16 acres is on the BC side and 5 acres is on the Barn side…I might be wrong but that was what I understood it to be….I saw the map but it didn't give the number in acreage, it just marked off the donated area.
      Anyone out there to help with the acreage difference???
      I wish they had donated the land on the southside of the barn instead of the northside because it looks as though, there was more land on the southside, incase MVLT decides to put an excess road there from Dutch Neck to the Peter's Pond. The excess road will be pretty close to the barn on the north side and kinda splits up the barn and the BC's ownership…Just my thoughts..It's fun to try to unravel situations.. Anne have a good day!!

Jennie/Florida on July 27, 2012 at 10:57 am
    • Annies Own has the area by the Barn correct, if you can picture it. It's more slope than hill and the ground is just very uneven. To me, it seems hilly, since I live in SE VA on very flat land–anything's a hill to me; but, Waldoboro has hilly countryside It's pretty. Hate to say this but there are no other steps from the deck to the ground outdoors. I suppose one could also exit the front door to get to the stumpy basement door, but the plant and flowerbeds don't leave any good walk through way and one would have to be careful there, too, so as to not trip on a bush or break a shrub. Abnd it is not level ground. I don't believe it is customary to include basements or garages and attics in square footages of a property–only actual living area. When we drove up to the BC we came up quickly and nearly missed it, because the color blended in with the grass. The Barn helped me identify it. We've been here a week now and just rested, enjoyed our breathtaking view at Pemaquid Light, sipped a bit of Bailey's, read a lot, and tended my planting… No touristing for us. Had lobster 5 out of 7 days. This is what we seek in Maine: total escape… Still having computer and telephone connectivity issues, and frequent rain storms. Wish I could send some rain to Utah , Colorado, Nebraska, etc.:o^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 27, 2012 at 11:15 am
    • Kitty thanks for measuring out the barn for us, I know it wasn't easy with all the bushes around it.
      Did you get to see the back of the house? in the center of the deck there is a set of steps leading down into the back yard. They don't have any railing on them either, but you do kind of have the side of the deck to guide you down.

home_girl on July 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm
    • Hi Kitty… I'm thinking they added the basement into the square footage to make it seem larger even though they cut it off from the first floor and not using it as living space! Is that legal???

Jennie/Florida on July 27, 2012 at 9:57 am
    • Hey Kitty & Fellow Bloggers! Thank you Kitty for the additional scoop and your Hubby for walking off the measurements of the Barn. – It does create a nice visual :) A possible well for water is awesome! Where was that located??

Lilly on July 28, 2012 at 3:06 am
    • Greetings Kitty & Fellow Bloggers! Thought I would share my past barnyard work experiences with y'all — might help some bloggers visualize the barn usage with the 'lay of the land'.

The side of the barn that had the slope/hill was usually fenced off. The fence would encompass a large portion of the land on the 'hilly side' with a gate at the top of the hill by the barn entrance as well as gated access into the 'belly' of the barn.

The lower level of the barn would provide shelter for the animals as well as a more controlled area to care for the livestock. Workhands would access the lower level through a "trap-door" above and climb down a ladder. With all the livestock located inside the 'belly' of the barn a Workhand could lock the large gate and open a smaller one leading to "shoots" where the livestock would be separated.. This would afford the workhands the opportunity to "treat" certain live stock whether it was much needed medicine, to breed, to tag, OR (close your ears fellas) to SNIP the 'ol Nubbets! :) oops! meant :(

Lilly on July 28, 2012 at 3:18 am
    • WOW! THAT brought back memories! Anyway, The other side of the barn was usually level and was used for 'temporary' parking of equipment, storage, etc. Think of it as an outdoor mudroom so as to not clutter up the work zone. :P Hope this was not too confusing and gave you a nice visual – - sorry Fellas! Take Care! Lilly

Lilly on July 28, 2012 at 3:20 am
    • LOL! LOL! Too virtually visual–sorry guys!:):S Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm
  9. I love the banner with the blog cabin in the horizon and the peek of the classic barn in the corner.

Phillygirlinde on July 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm
    • That is the one I chose because I think it incorporates the best of the whole blog cabin!!

heaven-bound23 on July 30, 2012 at 10:40 am
  10. I love all of the photos and cannot wait for the virtual tour! This is an amazing home in a breath-taking place… I can't wait for the entry period so we can try and win!!!

StraightA's on July 27, 2012 at 10:54 am