Jul 24

Choose the Blog Cabin 2012 Banner

Blog Cabin 2012 Banner Vote

Today, I invite you to participate in a very special poll. Our visual designer created four possible banners, one of which we will post along with the virtual home tour on August 13, 2012. We’d like you to help us choose the best design.

Please review the banners and pop back here to cast your vote. Voting closes on August 3, 2012, at 5 p.m. ET. The winning banner will be posted on August 13, 2012, at around 9 a.m. ET. Keep checking Blog Cabin Central for the updated look.

• Posted at 4:19 pm on July 7, 2012

1. This was a difficult choice for me……they are all great looking banners. But in the end, I chose the Cozy Living Room Nook. It feels cozy (as stated), and I have a great view of the back yard. I will most definitely be spending loads of time out on the back deck of this beautiful Maine home……after I win of course!

Summer on July 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm
  2. Good quality photo of the work-in-progress kitchen…

Teodora16 on July 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm
    • Another great one ! Hilarious Chris in all his glory ……. I can see the back splash so much better, too. Thanks !

LLColeman on July 25, 2012 at 2:05 am
    • OMG.. you're the best! Thank you once again. These really capture all the details that we were unable to see in the fuzzy pic's that have been posted in the past.

Day Dreamer on July 25, 2012 at 7:48 am
  3. Oh Boy, what a choice, they all look great. But I vote for the back deck at dusk banner. It makes the back of the house look so inviting.

vicki_in_Utah on July 24, 2012 at 9:15 pm
  4. In the first three Blog Cabins we got to choose almost everything including the house design, floor plan, type of roof etc. Now it's just paint colors, finishing decor and the webpage banner. How things have changed. ;) I'm sure the shows will be fun and the house will make someone very happy.
    Just waiting until the 13th (impatiently) ^_^

AnniesOwn on July 24, 2012 at 9:53 pm
    • In the first couple of cabins they were building from scratch so the floor plan select was easy to implement. Now that they are doing remodels there are far fewer floor plan choices. I uses the old adage "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" might apply. I think that the blogging is as much or more fun than picking colors and shingles, etc. The people make this the fun spot, the cabin is just a nice piece of trim, because only one person will get the house, but we all get to blog.

YankeeNuke on July 25, 2012 at 12:30 am
    • Here ,Here, Be careful Yankee, they'll start attacking you like they do me.

11241224 on July 25, 2012 at 1:27 am
    • Thank you for the advice, but I am a thick skinned old submarine sailor who has learned that sonar pings, like words can't hurt me, but depth charges, like sticks can. Thanks again. It is raining in FL right now, but the sun will be out in 10 minutes. The rain drumming on the roof(wish that it was tin) is making me sleepy. Be safe

YankeeNuke on July 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm
    • You'd think I'd have thick skin too, my Dad served 24 yrs in the navy which is why we lived on the east coast most of my life. I did get to tour a submarine while we were stationed in Key West. I figured out then that I was claustrophobic, which is why I joined the Air Force. I put in for Germany with Japan as my second choice, but as luck would have it, I recieved orders for Luke AFB. (really really HOT). I did have a great time and sometimes wish I would have stayed in for 20. You Be Safe Too.

11241224 on July 25, 2012 at 3:25 pm
    • I did 7 active and then did 14 in various Naval Reserve outfits to get to 20, which I am now very happy that I did. Thank you for your Dads service as well as yours. I guess that you didn't have to be in any of the small planes that the AF has.

YankeeNuke on July 25, 2012 at 4:22 pm
    • I worked on the Flt line as a crewchief, F-15's, never left the ground but did controll ck's with the canopy down. ( not so bad) I took flying lessons to get over my fear of flying and was fine, as long as I was behind the controls. My instructor decided to surprise me with a lesson in aerobatic's (there's that luck again) Holy Cow, won't be doing that again. I did fly solo and recieved my permit. Thank YOU for your sevice! My brother just retired Air force, his wife just signed for 2 more, giving her 22. My brother inlaw is retired Army and my sister 11 yrs Navy and her daughter (nukes as well) 4 yrs Navy

11241224 on July 25, 2012 at 4:53 pm
    • Don't hear about families with as much service as your's very much anymore. Thanks to you all. My oldest daughter was Navy-Submarine tender duty. My other two girls didn't serve.

YankeeNuke on July 25, 2012 at 5:57 pm
    • A submarine sailor, eh? Now THAT's scary. I'm claustrophobic and would go nutso, submerged for weeks or months at a time in a tin can. You really are a tough old salt.

How on earth did you do it? Stories! I want stories! :-D

Dashright on July 25, 2012 at 4:40 pm
    • The short answer is that my Dad was a Naval Officer in WW-II and Korea. He wrote home about how well the WW-II submarine crews were treated and that he wished that he had gone into subs instead of Amphibious craft. The rest of the answer grew from that. Excellent training/educational opportunities. Relatively low level of chicken s…. , good food, close knit crews, extra money. I guess that I was never obsessed with seeing the sun everyday and there was, until we ran into storms up north or when we intentionally did heavy maneuvers, very little sense of motion. Because there is always the potential for things to go wrong in a hurry we were fairly busy keeping our training and readiness level up by doing drills and having lectures. The opportunity to learn was always there.

YankeeNuke on July 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm
    • Thank you for your service, Sir. :-)

So how intense did it get during a storm? I would think it would be calmer under the water than on its surface.

By heavy maneuvers, do you mean sharp turns and emergency blows and stuff like that?

What was the hairiest experience you had while submerged?

And what was the longest period of time your vessel stayed submerged?

And did you ever get the launch codes by mistake and almost bring an end to the world as we know it?

By the way, did I mention that I watch too many submarine movies? <span class="idc-smiley"><span style="background-position: -12px 0pt;"><span>:-D</span></span></span>

Dashright on July 26, 2012 at 5:09 pm
    • Navy Guy's and Gal's are fearless

11241224 on July 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm
    • No doubt about it. :-)

Dashright on July 26, 2012 at 5:15 pm
    • Did I mention that the Navy does psyche screening on submarine volunteers, if they find that you are sane they do not allow you on board submarines. What does that tell you?

YankeeNuke on July 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm
    • Did I read that right? Did you write that right? hahaha

If the answer to both questions is yes, then yeah, that tells me a whole lot!

Dashright on July 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm
    • HA Ha

11241224 on July 26, 2012 at 11:41 pm
    • The first three BC's were original builds and that gave them more freedom for sure. Since 2010 remodels have been the way they went which is probably more in keeping with DIYnetwork's overall theme. However, I'm not convinced that's the reason for the superficial choices being offered now. Also, it's really nothing to do with 'looking gift horses' anywhere. The original 'cabins' were much more about the building and were independent shows. Now there's no BC series, just bit-parts on other shows. Blog Cabin has changed from its original identity and in the process has swapped the majority of the original and amazing collection of bloggers with a new and diverse group. I'm not passing judgment on what's better, just observing how things have changed. :)

AnniesOwn on July 25, 2012 at 5:53 pm
    • HMMMM, looking a gift horse in the mouth, simple means it's FREE a Gift, if you inspect the horse and it doesn't meets your expectations, and the person accepts the horse anyway and complains that it will cost to keep it, is being rude and unappreciative. If you need a horse and it is given to you, it would be wise to just say thank you for the kind jesture. HGTV HAS changed alot. I think a diverse group is great (not the same, same all the time) I think HGTV appreciates the fact that more and more people climb aboard. We are all from different walks of life, we will not always agree with each other, But, who's opinion is more important then the another's. This is not a popularity contest, but a forum.

11241224 on July 25, 2012 at 6:54 pm
    • What ever, some people are JUST one sided and closed minded to understand reality. I think most get the point, but many choose to be BULLIES and follow the few! NOT GONNA DO IT!

11241224 on July 26, 2012 at 11:51 pm
  5. I LOVE THE DIY BLOG CABIN COASTAL REREAT 2012. TO HAVE A HOME FOR MY FAMIY:)

JOSE LUIS ORTIZ on July 25, 2012 at 12:00 am
  6. Love the deck at dusk. Makes you dream about what it would be like to live in there. In the other photos, I'm looking at "the house," looking through the house to the water or looking at the outdoor space. I like to dream about what it would be like, if only….

MarleneD on July 25, 2012 at 12:27 am
  7. Just noticed that the Outdoor Fireplace banner, you can see the dog mansion…looks great.

vicki_in_Utah on July 25, 2012 at 12:52 am
    • You mean the playhouse for the grandkids and great grandkids?

YankeeNuke on July 26, 2012 at 12:06 am
    • maybe it was for Victoria's doggies…lol…my little yorky's would get lost in that big thing, it would be better as a play house for grand kids.

vicki_in_Utah on July 26, 2012 at 12:35 am
    • My Doggie is just 'a bit' spoiled and will probably stake claim to the bench looking over the back yard and Deck. Guess I will be off to the Dog House — FINE BY ME ! Hee hee :) It will make a nice tool shed, maybe a mini green house too! My Hubby does not like to share his tools :( — I ADMIT that I have been known to abuse & misplace them — forget them by the plants.. in the dry sink.. I could go on & on… For me to have my own area would be awesome – BRIGHT pink tools for this gal :) MUCH easier to find in the grass! :P I wonder what the measurements are for the Doggie Mansion ? hmmm.. Happy day ALL day! Lilly

Lilly on July 26, 2012 at 1:00 am
    • I would hope there's at least one tool of your husband that you don't abuse or misplace. :-o

(Hey, she threw me a soft ball. And give me credit for staying away from the "bright pink" reference!)

(Probably'll get reported anyway.)

Dashright on July 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm
    • Some one has their mind in the gutters! We discussed the gutters a long time ago on earlier threads! – Think it was pretty much covered.

Dirty Dog – Where is the soap? Bad Doggie! — off you go — to the Dog House –
      OH that's right – mini green house :P
      See? I DO have a sense of humor -just wasn't thinkin' THAT way — too funny! :)

Lilly on July 31, 2012 at 3:59 pm
  8. The winning back deck/ dusk photo is definitely the glam shot , and I can see why it is winning. I did not vote for it because the angle of the shot makes the house appear huge, moderne and takes away the flavor of a coastal Maine home built in the 1890's ( you know me, Miss Antiquity Worship). After all the early discussions about snow and stair lights buried in snow drifts, etc. I am a bit freaked out to see the stairs without any railing, (but then, if the owner does not use the stairs during icy conditions, i guess no harm done..)
    The very striking feature to me is the property surrounding the home, and at first I wanted to vote for the banner photo shot from the barn looking across at the house–but the I saw the final banner. I love the outdoor fireplace with the roaring fire and the sightlines across the meadow, so the last banner got my vote. <3 ;)

LLColeman on July 25, 2012 at 2:15 am
    • LL — I admit that I was a bit "freaked" about the missing railing as well. Probably no construction restrictions or codes due to just a few steps. However, friends of ours had to put their doggie down when it went over an edge like that, landed badly, and crushed it's leg!! How 'bout one for the more senior folks and kiddies that may visit or when WE get older – huh LL? :P DIY Another update — Please! :)

Lilly on July 25, 2012 at 8:48 am
    • Think planters as borders for the deck, would help then you can change things around when you get the inspiration.

YankeeNuke on July 25, 2012 at 12:24 pm
    • EXCELLENT idea for the deck Frank! :)
      Going up and down the stairs without railing to hang on to is still weighing heavily on my mind —
      Guess I may be a bit sensative to this as a recent caretaker/Grandma, (I KNOW you understand), as well as having friends with M S.
      Hubby's banged up "grunt" lifestyle for 27+ years adds to my sensativity when he says he has the body of a 60 year old and he is in his 40's! Wish it were different for the 'ol Mustang :(
      GROWING old in the Blog Cabin is a dream of mine! :) He Ain't out to pasture yet! Hee Hee!! :)

Lilly on July 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm
    • Lilly glad to hear that the old grunt is still in the primary barn and not out to pasture. For our case we would have figure out a way to make things a bit safer than some younger folks might. The goal would be a safety rail for the steps that would be sturdy without degrading to view from either the deck/house as well as from the yard. Thank you to your hubby for his service and your collective sacrifice.

YankeeNuke on July 25, 2012 at 2:50 pm
    • Your goal is 'spot on' – safety without degrading the view.
      THANK YOU for YOUR service!
      Truly appreciate your acknowledgment of family support. A heartfelt Thank-You.. it means a lot :) Warmly, Lilly

Lilly on July 26, 2012 at 1:12 am
    • The missing railing on the steps was the first thing my eyes went to as well.

izzyguest on July 25, 2012 at 4:24 pm
    • Speaking of the property surrounding the home, didn't you tell me something about part of it being leased out to a co-op or something? That it would be set aside for growing hay? Am I imagining this, losing my marbles? lol

I'm sorry, LL, but could you refresh my deteriorating memory about this? Thanks :-D

Dashright on July 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm
    • Hawkweed on July 25, 2012 at 10:48 pm
    • Hawkweed, thank you so much for finding that link !! In one of the posts @ that time, one of the local bloggers mentioned that someone had been contracted to mow the hay every year. This past year, maybe DIY crew took care of that.

LLColeman on July 26, 2012 at 3:39 am
    • It was recently hayed by the fellow who used to hay it. It had not been hayed since DIY took over the property. The neighbor who used to be the caretaker for the property when the former owners weren't here and when it was on the market was still in contact with DIY so they probably contacted him to have it done. I imagine payment was made by DIY.

Camac on July 27, 2012 at 1:32 am
    • Thank you, Camac !

LLColeman on July 27, 2012 at 3:31 am
    • Thank you, Hawkweed. I appreciate the link. :-)

Dashright on July 26, 2012 at 5:43 pm
    • Lest we forget one minor/major detail: in Winter, when one is unlikely to use the deck or the lighted, but snow covered deck stairs to the ground, when it's dark, maybe blizzardy—THEN some inside necessary system goes kafluey (SP?)– one HAS to access the BASEMENT to check systems and panels… No visible stair lights, slippery, FAR from basement entry, weather is horrid at the moment, there are NO bannisters for safety and one has no choice but to weather the distance — one choice: risk getting sick in foul weather or falling and breaking something enroute to a very out of the way basement entry…sigh! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?:S:oo.0 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 26, 2012 at 6:49 pm
    • Hi Kitty, I asked this on one of your other post… I was wondering, do you think maybe there are steps right outside to the right of the M/B from the deck, to enter the little basement door? If so, that's a lot better than having to walk the full deck to get access to the basement on a snowy day or night!! I still can't believe there are no stairs from ground level- first floor to the basement! That's like having a big attic and closing it off and not be able to use it. That's a whole floor wasted..I'm sure this will be very inconvenient for the new homeowners by not having inside access to the basement, plus a lot of wasted space and danger of accidents during the bad winter months..My question also ….WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??? I don't think they were thinking about older people winning, I think they
      are reno-ing (my new word) for younger generation and Diy'ers…I Don't know……. Kitty!!
      Did you get to walk around the BC yet? I hope you get to…. OK!!! no more questions for tonight Kitty, thank you so much for sharing, I hope you're having a wonderful time! Get some rest..

Jennie/Florida on July 26, 2012 at 10:48 pm
    • Doesn't it seem like some sort of code violation to have mechanicals in basement level with almost no access to them ? I guess they satisfied the bare minimum of code requirements……"what were they thinking " ?
      By calling it a vacation home, DIY does not have to worry about provisions for year-round use, even though many bloggers declare each year that the cabin would be a primary permanent residence if they were to win….lack of storage, adequate closets and a garage has been a case in point.

LLColeman on July 27, 2012 at 3:38 am
    • One thing that struck Gary and me as we were looking at the Blog Cabin in person was that it looks smaller than the quote square footage given us! Driving down Dutch Neck Rd., we almost missed it! TRUE! The colors in the house absolutely blend in with the grass, and no kidding, as are many New England houses, it's right next to the road. I think the rocks along the front are going to become an issue with the city snow plow person–these are just some observations of mine. I wish we could have walked around and seen the back but the land was posted and the law I follow. I will be having pictures of the rear of the barn and my crops' progress–you won't believe it! ASAP, when Home_Girl gets home. She's taking care of her Mom who's has surgery–so slight delay. I'll keep you posted, folks!xD:p<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 1, 2012 at 10:54 am
  9. I think the last banner is definitely the best showing you the outdoor fireplace the meadow and the water.

Flashy on July 25, 2012 at 9:00 am
    • I quite agree !

LLColeman on July 26, 2012 at 3:40 am
  10. Green acres is the place for me.
    Farm livin' is the life for me.
    Land spreadin' out so far and wide
    Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

Day Dreamer on July 25, 2012 at 9:49 am
    • I think that your age might be showing a little bit or you tool the deloran time machine back a few years for those lyrics.

YankeeNuke on July 25, 2012 at 12:25 pm
    • Everytime I log on to see what's new that song pops into my head. I was hoping someone would remember that show. :)

Day Dreamer on July 25, 2012 at 8:08 pm
    • Ken, I remember that show quite well with Eva Gabor. I sang the melody as I read your post too. Yup I'm a Goldie in my Golden years and hey, like fine wine, I'm better. Well, my hubby thinks so and that's all that counts. Golly darn–I'm with it! I can't recall all the other actors but can picture them still. That was an era of good often escapist and funny programming. I'm in Maine now for a couple weeks and shall be posting a few shots mostly of my little money tree project. and the barn, since the house and land was posted. I have a hunch that they have nixed the box gardens They've planted several blueberry bushes among the front landscape bushes. I did see the old iron bed in the back yard and am convinced it is intended to be used for firewood for the outdoor fireplace. DIY has installed a Direct TV satellite next to the 2 propane tanks. I definitely noticed things I would change if I won, but over-all the place is charming and guaranteed different from any place around! Thankfully, there is space to make a parking area next to the entry side of the house. If one wants it to become more elaborate, such as a carport or garage, I'd say some tree removal may be necessary. Loved your photo of you walking down the grass pathway to the waterfront and regret that they haven't maximized waterfront views. :) B)^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 25, 2012 at 10:24 pm
    • Hey Kitty! Thanks for the scoop. I wonder if the old iron bed could magically disappear and re-appear in the Barn or the Doggie Mansion for future use by the winner?? Do you think it could be used as a trellis for growing viney things.. like Passion Flower.. My neighbor has a large vine along the side of her home – the flowers are so unique! When I look at them I think of lace because they look so delicate ~ Just gorgeous!! Iron bed trellis for flowers or maybe grapes! VINO for future barn dances! :P hee hee!!

Lilly on July 26, 2012 at 1:33 am
    • I think that's a possibility, Lilly! That bed probably would hold a chord of wood off the ground, which would keep it dryer for the fireplace. Maybe you could make another base to hold the head and foot boards together and use the springs for a trellis? Passion flowers are beautiful. My daughter grows them in her yard.:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 27, 2012 at 10:44 am
    • Great Idea for keeping wood off the ground ~ Sometimes the obvious eludes me :(
      I hope you are able to enjoy your Daughters passion flowers. My neighbor is getting ready to move – I may ask her if I could transplant some of her vines. They seem to be easy to grow which is a plus for me – Just like my roses of sharon bush WOW did it take off and the flowers just keep coming! :) Happy day all day! Lilly :)

Lilly on July 30, 2012 at 12:30 pm
    • Yay, Kitty ! Happy to hear that you made it by the BC, in person !! I love blueberry bushes . It is good to know a carport might fit, if some trees get moved (hopefully 'transplant' rather than torn out).. glad that at least blueberry bushes were put in, if not raised garden planters.(..funny how we vote for things or are promised things that do not end up in the finished project….;) )
      There are lots of us who remember Green Acres, but lots of people have not been on the blog recently. Hopefully they will rejoin soon. <3 You are to funny with that money tree plan….

LLColeman on July 26, 2012 at 3:53 am
    • "too funny", that is…a lot of words with double letters come out misspelled because I do not type too well…….;)

LLColeman on July 26, 2012 at 3:55 am
    • Enter text right here! Green Acres TV Show starred Eddy

Green Acres TV Show starred:
      Eddy Arnold, Eva Gabor and Pat Buttram as Mr. Haney. It was about a New York lawyer and his wife who moved to the country. There was a pig featured who went by the name Arnold Ziffle. Funny show! I like the last banner. It shows laoation, location, Location!!

Patricia Green on July 26, 2012 at 11:07 am
    • Hi Patricia, I dating myself, but I think that was Eddy Albert!!

Jennie/Florida on July 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm
    • Eddie Albert–By George I think you've got it!:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 26, 2012 at 5:47 pm
    • I'm dating myself

Jennie/Florida on July 26, 2012 at 8:07 pm
    • OOPS, That doesn't sound right!!!! If you read my reply above to Patricia, you will know what I mean!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 26, 2012 at 11:52 pm
    • LOL!!!! :)

Lilly on July 27, 2012 at 12:07 am
    • That DOES sound weird, Jennie! LOL! but it's catchy So am I! LOL!!! LOL!;):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 27, 2012 at 10:20 am
    • Hi Jennie, You are so right. I am an oldie myself and got my Eddie's mixed up. I think Eddy Arnold was a country singer. Thank you for the correct info.

Patricia Green on July 27, 2012 at 10:28 am
    • For those of you who remember a time when the world was a simpler place to live in. I think you'll enjoy this blast from the past. enjoy!

Day Dreamer on July 27, 2012 at 9:08 am
    • Thanks for the link I love the old comedies! They were well written!:);) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 27, 2012 at 10:46 am