Jul 18

An Artistic Look at the Barn

Today I am happy to share a cinemagraph created by visual designer Jason Kisner. These images were captured during our online photo shoot in May. Blog Cabin’s circa-1884 barn is quite a sight to behold. Interiors are just as captivating as exteriors. Take a close look … do you notice the subtle breeze blowing through the trees? Enjoy!

• Posted at 2:44 pm on July 7, 2012

1. Well, another sad note the Pioneer physicist/Astronaut Sally Ride passed . I hope someone wins the lottery we need some good news. All the gloom and doom it's really making me sad .:'(
    PS. Mary hurry we need more pics

MaryPA on July 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm
  2. I have dreams of this home and all it entails . I am so excited to see this and be a part of the building process. Thank you Mary.

Ernest Leal on July 24, 2012 at 12:23 am
  3. Hello Cabin Lovers,

Hello Cabin Lovers,
    Here's one more photo of the barn I think you'll enjoy. This was taken in June while I was there looking at properties. Enjoy!
    Ken

Day Dreamer on July 24, 2012 at 8:30 am
    • Thanks Ken, boy it sure is green around the barn.

vicki_in_Utah on July 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm
    • Hi Ken, thank you for a great photo of the barn…I don't know what is about a barn…it's just a symbol of Country, real down to earth place and so serene to me with hidden treasures from the past…I think a place to Dream! If I won the BC, I would landscape the barnyard to match the front yard of the BC..I would make sure all the wildflowers and bushes from the barnyard were replanted. The barn needs new flooring to stablize the area for parking cars. I don't understand why DIY didn't make sure their would be covered parking when they started this Reno. I would think in Maine with all the Snow and Winds, that should have been on the priority list…This is a beautiful and expensive Home and a missing garage, go figure! I don't understand that at all…As I have said many times before, If the reason was because of budget, they could have dumped the Hot tub, the Spa tub and the big Mega Den with all bells and whistles for a covered Pergola at the end of the home where the kitchen is or repaired the flooring in the barn, for the cars..That would have been a smarter and more practical thing to do…….Just my thoughts

Jennie/Florida on July 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm
    • This pictures shows the need for lots of TLC on an around the barn. The back is heavily weathered and requires a lot of paint prep before actually applying that nic fred color. The roof needs lots of care and the bushes & trees need to be trimmed and/or removed to clean up the area. Just another "honey do" list.

YankeeNuke on July 25, 2012 at 12:37 am
    • A great picture. Thanks. I wonder what those wild flowers are in front of the barn? Anyone?

Hawkweed on July 25, 2012 at 6:33 pm
  4. I thank all of you for making this great blog possible. I have not once seen a bad ideal. Every one has something great to say.

Hawkweed on July 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm
  5. The barn is great……..but I am anxious to see more. More please!

Summer on July 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm
  6. Yeah Bloggers….New Thread!!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm
    • Hey Jennie! WOW! That was tough!! – I wimped out and had my hubby choose which one he liked the best. All I kept thinking about was how much hard work went into everything!
      It really came down to how each view was captured–I felt one photo seemed a bit "washed out", one looked too much like last years' Blog Cabin, one revealed WAY too much, and one – well THAT is the one my hubby preferred :P I bet you can guess which one he chose! Take Care, Lilly

Lilly on July 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm
    • Hi Lilly, I didn't think voting on something like this would be so hard. I haven't voted yet, I'm still pondering on which one would best represent the Finale of the Blog Cabin and I think the Banner should show that….Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong, but if you have the cozy nook on the banner, what does that tell you about the BC or the back deck at dusk or the outdoor fireplace..those are just parts of the BC.The only one that actually shows you what it's representing is the Sunny High Posted Cape….yes I know that looks like a photo of a Blog Cabin from last year, but that's what it's all about, the Newly Renovated Blog Cabin…Do you see what I am saying??
      I bet your Honey voted for the Hot tub with Fireplace!!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm
    • Hey Jennie! You know what would have been a MIND BLOWING BANNER?!? An ARIEL PHOTO (collage/cinemagraph) capturing the entire property. Picture this – - Slow moving screen snippets – - – as if you were flying OVER the barn – to see the FRONT of the Cabin/Homestead – -YIPPEE!! – – up & over – -WOOHOO!! then you see the BACK of the homestead in all it's glory – - then down the field and off to the water with a nice sunrise or sunset reflecting upon the water – with one final snippet looking back at BLOG CABIN 2012 as if you were yearning to circle around and do it all again!! Told you it was a MIND BLOWING idea!!! :) Yes indeed ~ that would be outstanding! :) Okay, Maybe it is a bit much for a banner – awesome Intro though! I CAN"T WAIT !!!

Lilly on July 25, 2012 at 2:42 am
    • WOW Lilly, Great Idea!!! You totally amaze me. I could just pictured all this happening, I was enjoying the flight and was ready for another round!! I was so excited to get a birdseye view of the whole area. Thanks for the ride..But I don't think that would fit on the Banner!! LOL
      Was I right about the banner your Honey chose???
      Can't wait to hear about the luncheon Kitty, Gary and Camac had yesterday…I'm sure they stopped to look at the BC on the way..I hope Kitty is up to all the activities! Maybe we will hear from her soon!!!! Have a great day!

Jennie/Florida on July 25, 2012 at 10:45 am
  7. I'm confused. Below are two of your answers regarding the barn. Can a car be parked in the barn or not?

A. We are not installing a driveway on the house side. The barn is very close to the house, so it’s very easy to park and walk across the street. We do not plan to build a garage.

A. The barn does not presently feature electric or water. The barn can be used for lawn mower and general — but not car — storage. We will share square footage soon.

Doris on July 28, 2012 at 12:41 pm
    • Best answer: DIY said sometime ago on another thread some weeks ago. "The barn does not have the support in the floor to support a car or truck". I would suppose, the driveway they are talking about– is the driveway that goes up to the front barn door?

Hawkweed on July 28, 2012 at 10:45 pm
    • Thanks. Maybe part of the flooring can be removed to bring a car in. Cars need to be protected during Maine winters.

Doris on July 29, 2012 at 11:40 am
    • Doris, the problem may be that the flooring boards on the barn main floor may not have sufficient supports below for the weight of a car or more. I think the winner will need to have that part evaluated by a structure specialist, because I agree with you that during Maine's harsh winters, cars should be secured from the elements. There is another partial floor for storage, animals and feed below and the barn is tall enough to have a 2nd story built above the main floor. :) ^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm
    • Doris, I responded to you last night but the Admin Grinch ate it up–I have no idea why! There is another level under existing main floor that is useful for animals, storage or supplies. My hubby, Gary, and I got some pictures of it and will be working with Home_Girl soon, to get them posted, and I'll let the blog know. The main wood floor may not be secured enough for the weight of a car and should be evaluated by a professional. There is ample height in the barn to add. another floor above. We couldn't get near enough to measure the outside, but Gary walked it off at approximately 40 X 80 feet.

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm
    • Thanks a lot. Please let me know when you post your photos.

Doris on August 5, 2012 at 2:55 pm
  8. Could really use that space! Can't wait for more details.. Online watching anyone else?

minitoni on August 3, 2012 at 12:43 am
  9. Just in case anyone is still around and lagging behind at the BARN–I have some BARN pictures, etc for you! I'm re posting what I posted on the Doggie Condo thread.: OK, out with the Doggie Condo–A Virtual Maine Lobstah Feast awaits–that is, if you cook it yourself. It weighs about 2 lbs, boil in salt water about 18 minutes, and it's done when the feeler feels loose to touch! One for all–virtually, of course! Hope you enjoy!

First Batch of photos found on Rhonda's website: http://www.yourespecialtoo.com
    Kitty <3<3<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 7, 2012 at 6:32 pm
    • Final Batch of Money Tree photos found on Rhonda's website: http://www.yourespecialtoo.com
      Kitty xDB):*<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 7, 2012 at 10:25 pm
    • Your photos are great!!

Doris on August 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm
    • Thank you, Doris–hope you had a good laugh!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 21, 2012 at 7:35 pm
    • Am I missing something here? All I see are dolls !!

Myra on August 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm
    • I'm so sorry, Myra! Home_Girl /Rhonda is the owner of the website and she makes doll and matching children's clothes and also creates beautiful Reborn Dolls. As one of our Bloggers, she was kind enough to put a link on her website where she, Blogger DayDreamer/Ken Day and I were able to post pictures of the Blog Cabin, while we were waiting for the big reveal. I should have explained better. Scroll down the page with Rhonda's Dolls and there will be a paragraph that refers to the Blog Cabin and click on it. There are lots of detailed snapshots that include the house under construction, the underside of the barn and a series of shots that my hubby and I did of the "Money Tree" we planted to help cover the excess cost of strengthening and restoring the barn structure– Be sure and follow the final link for the big "surprise" for a laugh. good luck! ;) xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm
  10. I don't believe in re-incarnation, but I've said kiddingly for years now that I was re-incarnated from Maine. I've never been to Maine. I have always yearned to go. I have seen myself there for years and daily since this new location was chosen. I'm almost beside myself. FIVE MORE DAYS! I'll be virtual touring daily, I know! Daydreaming…….

Jenny on August 9, 2012 at 1:06 am