Jul 18

An Artistic Look at the Barn

Today I am happy to share a cinemagraph created by visual designer Jason Kisner. These images were captured during our online photo shoot in May. Blog Cabin’s circa-1884 barn is quite a sight to behold. Interiors are just as captivating as exteriors. Take a close look … do you notice the subtle breeze blowing through the trees? Enjoy!

• Posted at 2:44 pm on July 7, 2012

1. Great pics! Love the great ideas about the uses for the barn, my question is about the stability of the structure. If I read correctly, it cannot be used as a garage for cars and I was wondering if that was because of the structural stability. I think no. Did the engineer look at the barn? I would assume yes because YOU never do anything halfway!

stlmom1 on July 20, 2012 at 11:10 am
    • The only thing that DIY has mentioned is that the barn can not support a car. There is a "basement" level under the barn, which is accessed from the back, so the floor sits on joists. Given that the first floor joists in the house had to be replaced it is not too much of a surprise that barn has similar issues. I believe that the rest of the barn is sound, at least there are no indications of other issues. The roof will need to be re-done at some point since it already has patches on it. The only pics of the back indicate that it is in desperate need of paint.

YankeeNuke on July 21, 2012 at 3:05 am
    • Never had experience with a barn "basement", so I never realized this had one. I would then be careful to put any amount of heavy work equipment in one area for fear of putting too much stress on said joists; even a riding mower. Guess that is why the barn is not in the specs.

stlmom1 on July 21, 2012 at 9:21 am
    • There are pictures that show some small lawn equipment in the barn. They also used the barn to store a lot of the things that were pulled out of the house when the started the remodel.

YankeeNuke on July 21, 2012 at 11:11 am
    • Greetings stlmom1 & Fellow Bloggers! I posted this elsewhere but wanted to add it here too.
      Thought I would share my past barnyard work experiences with y'all — might help visualize the barn usage with the 'lay of the land'. The side of the barn that had the slope/hill was usually fenced off. The fence would encompass a large portion of the land on the 'hilly side' with a gate at the top of the hill by the barn entrance as well as gated access into the 'belly' of the barn.

The lower level of the barn would provide shelter for the animals as well as a more controlled area to care for the livestock. Workhands would access the lower level through a "trap-door" above and climb down a ladder. With all the livestock located inside the 'belly' of the barn a Workhand could lock the large gate and open a smaller one leading to "shoots" where the livestock would be separated.. This would afford the workhands the opportunity to "treat" certain live stock whether it was much needed medicine, to breed, to tag, OR (close your ears fellas) to SNIP the 'ol Nubbets! :) Oops! meant :(

Lilly on July 28, 2012 at 2:51 pm
  2. Just letting folks know -since we talk alot about our furry family members here.

Today my 14 year old gray tabby, Ms Tiger Lily, will cross the Rainbow Bridge.

I am not doing well. She never was 'just a cat'.

Nebraska on July 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm
    • Oh Nebraska, that is so sad and I am very sorry to hear. It is so hard to lose a beloved fur companion. I will be especially thinking of you today. <3<3<3

SID on July 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm
    • I'm so, so sorry, Nebraska. I understand exactly how you feel…your post brought tears to my eyes.

::hugs::

Dashright on July 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm
    • I'm so sorry for you. I've been there also, with 18 yr. companion "Smokey". I remember the kind words my vet said to me, and hope they will bring a little comfort to you. " You've beat the odds having had Ms Tiger Lily for 14 years, if I come back as a cat in my next life, I want to live with you."

AnneEliseSouth on July 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm
    • So sorry Nebraska. We're cat lovers & currently have a mother & daughter of advancing years (15 & 14) who have been with us on three different continents. This is one of my favorite cat quotes from Mark Twain. I hope it helps a litle : –

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."

Clive on July 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm
    • God bless and comfort you on the loss of Ms Tiger Lily. They truely are a part of our families.

cindy on July 20, 2012 at 5:11 pm
    • sorry to hear that, know how it feels, we lost chigger, our cat three years ago this month!!! you really miss them! :-(

Penginsmomina on July 20, 2012 at 6:24 pm
    • So sorry to hear about Ms Tiger Lily. She was blessed to have a loving family and the family was blessed to have her too. I pray that your hurting hearts hurt a little less with each passing day.
      Sincerely,
      Windee

Windee :) on July 20, 2012 at 6:32 pm
    • I'm so sorry to hear about Ms Tiger Lily..I know what you're going through, my Gloria Vanderbilt lived to be 22 yrs old. My heart was broken when I lost her, she was like my child..We got her when she was 6wks old…She grew up with my two girls and a big part of our family…My Gloria passed in 2000 and I still miss her. It was almost a year after she passed when my friend asked me to go with her to the SPCA to pick up her little dog and I knew that was a mistake, but I went….While waiting, I heard the meows from the next room and I had to peek in and that was a mistake too!! It was instant love with this little black and white long haired kitty, so what did I do? Well that's my Whiskers I have now and she is 12 yrs old…
      She's wonderful and she brings great joy to our family, she thinks she's human…Nebraska just try to think of all the fun you and your family had with Ms Tiger Lily and all the love you gave and got in return and how happy you made her for 14yrs..I look at it this way, You can never replace Ms Tiger Lily, but you can give another Kitty a good loving home..I pray your pain will go away in time…..My Love to you and your family!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 20, 2012 at 11:24 pm
    • Oh, Nebraska –hugs to you and please know you are not alone in this sorrow….it does hurt so much to let go, but i know Tiger Lily had such a loving home with you. Many of us have been through similar heart breaks. I will be thinking of you !!

LLColeman on July 21, 2012 at 12:52 am
    • Pets for most people are more family than pet and when they reach that age they have carved out a large hole in your heart to rest in. When they die that hole takes a long time to become whole again. You can never completely replace them with another because they are unique individuals. You will find a new family member who will help you heal, and eventually fill that hole that was left in your heart. The loss of a pet can be very devastating and a new one may help you ease the pain of the loss. Hopefully you will soon be able to think of her and all of the good that she did for you and smile as you run the pictures in your mind. Always be thankful that you were blessed to have such a wonderful companion for all of those years.

YankeeNuke on July 21, 2012 at 3:00 am
    • I will say a prayer for you and Tiger Lilly. My dogs are not just dogs either I know how you feel.

Flashy on July 21, 2012 at 5:19 pm
    • Oh Nabraska, sorry to hear about this event :'( :' (:'( nope. there our children, I know exactly how your feeling.:(:(:'(

MaryPA on July 21, 2012 at 8:00 pm
  3. What to do with all of that interior space in the barn………I have not a clue! But I am sure it will be put to good use.

Summer on July 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm
  4. hey, that is so awesome!!! the trees are so green and healthy, would love to be there in person!! thank you so much for putting this on here. So truly beautiful!!! God's creation is awesome!! p. s. thank you Mary, it is lovely!! :-) may God bless whomever he has chosen for this piece of heaven on earth!!

Penginsmomina on July 20, 2012 at 5:29 pm
  5. Got all my early morning household chores done; even swept out the barn and collected a few farm-fresh eggs for breakfast — so excuse me while I get cookin' here… http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2362/5752026208_b2

DBCoop on July 21, 2012 at 11:35 am
    • DB the bacon looks delish,yummy;)

MaryPA on July 21, 2012 at 8:02 pm
  6. I love this home here, it take me back to my childhood days. wow. laiding in the green grass looking out at the sky the country swell in the air, a place that help me be creative and visionual. but the most I love about country life is you can feel the peace and love in the people. the more I look at the picture the more I miss my country life.. thank you guys for helping me to relive my happy moments.. love you guys. keep the pictures coming they are great…

Priscilla Henderson on July 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm
  7. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I spent last night with Ms Kitty, my other 14 year old cat. She kept waking me up trying to tell me she couldn't find Lily and she knew something was wrong. These sweet girls spent almost their entire lives together and I see signs of grief. This was cancer – Ms Kitty has spent much of the last month playing nurse to Lily.

Nebraska on July 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm
    • Poor little Ms Kitty, I hope somehow she understands that her dear friend is no longer suffering. They were both very lucky kitties to have you love and care for them all these years. There are so many pets out there in shelters who are not so fortunate. When we lost our Maine Coon "Danny Boy" it hurt so much that we thought we would never adopt another, and about a year later we found Max and Molly and took them into our hearts. They make us laugh every day. I know from your posts what a big heart you have and I hope the hurt will soon heal and be replaced with only the happiest of memories. Sending lots of hugs your way…..

SID on July 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm
    • Charlotte, I couldn't have said it better than Sid! My heart breaks for your and Lily's loss of Ms. Kitty! I don't even know if this will post tonight. We're in Maine, but my computer's not liking this network connection and keeps going offline! You have my deepest sympathy, as I know your load is tremendous right now! ((HUGS)) <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 21, 2012 at 9:21 pm
    • OH my! I'm so sorry! I mixed up your dear Girl's names! Please forgive me! I meant Your and Ms. Kitty's loss of Lily. I feel foolish. So sorry!:$:(<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 21, 2012 at 9:27 pm
    • Sorry to hear about Lily. I know firsthand how our "little friends" means so much to us. Give Mrs. Kitty lots of pets from all of us here. Deservingly so.

Hawkweed on July 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm
  8. God bless the victims and thier families of the Colorado massacre. May God bless and watch over each and everyone that endured this terrible tragedy. May GOD bless the State of Colorado!

11241224 on July 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm
    • AMEN! :'(Why won't people turn from their wicked ways??? Alas! what is happening to our world that used to be more kind and innocent? Are people getting numb to violence? It is unfathomable to me!:'(

Please God–open eyes and comfort the broken and punish the wicked and heal our Land!<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 21, 2012 at 10:20 pm
    • When people (Really) start caring about other's again, I will be amazed. It always has to do about personal need for most. I pray for the tiny 6 year old whom lost her life at the hand's of some selfish idiot ,I will pray for her as well as all of the other innocent victems. SO HEARTBREAKING AND SO SAD!

11241224 on July 22, 2012 at 12:29 am
    • I have been at a loss for words. Everyone I know is heartsick and stunned. Sending prayers.

LLColeman on July 22, 2012 at 3:19 am
  9. :D I'm finally in Maine–same County as the Blog Cabin, still trying to recoup from the trip. This time, it was particularly awful getting through Wiscasset (1.5 hrs!) and I wasn't doing so great to begin with, health-wise, as my stuff had flared, so the trip was kinda' hard on my back and legs. But I'll get back up! I shall, I shall!! We retired early and exhausted last night. I slept in till 1 p.m today, smelling ocean breezes and hearing the waves breaking on Pemaquid Point's magnificent granite peninsula, directly in front of us! If you guys could only see it!.. Wait! Google Pemaquid Point Light… We'll be heading up to Waldoboro soon as my body catches up to my will. Plans well underway for you know what! Lisa, are you around, reading the blog still? We' know this is high season for your B & B. We have very poor cell phone connection here, because, essentially, the peninsula we are staying at is basically way out in the Atlantic Ocean!!! Have to go into town for better connections. Those of you up here with whom we are meeting, stay tuned. Many happy wishes to all my Bloggie friends and special thoughts to Dear Nebraska in her loss!^_^<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 21, 2012 at 10:09 pm
    • Glad to hear you made it to beautiful Permaquid safely. Rest up; I hope you feel better soon and can enjoy the trip.

LLColeman on July 22, 2012 at 3:22 am
    • Hi Kitty, I'm so glad you made it safe and sound. I know you must have been totally exhausted from the trip…..give your body time to catch up with your mind and please don't over do it…I want you to be fit as a fiddle when we plant all those B/F Money trees…Happy, Happy, Happy!
      At least you have cooler weather to recoup..Thats got to be refreshing…Lilly and I will see you at Moody's Tomorrow…….Yeah!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 22, 2012 at 10:56 am
    • Well our crop is lookin' good, don't you think?! Gary and I will nurse her well, the soil is phenomenally rich. How did you like Moody's?:p:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 23, 2012 at 8:24 pm
    • Hi Kitty, Looking great!!!The air was so cool and refreshing, I was loving it, I forgot how many B/F trees we planted! I know we had a hard time deciding whether it was sun or shade for Ben…Don't want the trees to over heat before they mature and get full value.. Moody's was great and everyone was so friendly. Of course I missed out on their famous Walnut Pie because Lilly and I was looking at everything on our way and took the wrong road and wasted almost all of lunch time trying to get back on to "Moody's" road…So MuchTraffic… By the time we got to Moody's, the walnut pie was gone..but that's OK, the fresh Blueberry pie was great..Sorry we missed Lisa and Camac, would love to meet them…maybe next time. Lilly and I just did made our flight back to the BC Thread, just before we woke up..Boy, that was a close call! Kitty take care, relax and enjoy your vacation with your Gary! Don't push yourself, if you don't feel well enough to "scout," then don't, your well being is more important. We'll see the big reveal soon on August 13th. anyway..Have a Lobster for me…. Hugs to you and Gary!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 23, 2012 at 11:35 pm
    • DITTO! — R&R for Kitty & Gary!! :) VACATION TIME!
      Jennie maybe you will get some of that tasty Walnut pie next time around.. I will even give you my slice — Have not been much into walnuts since I helped myself to WAY too many when I was cracking them for my Grandma's pie :( UGH! Bad Belly Ache :(
      Looking forward to the big reveal! Take Care All :) Truly Lilly

Lilly on July 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm
    • Thanks so much, Lilly and Jennie too! Gary and i just got back from Waldoboro. It's been an on and off stormy day with lots of lightning and downpours, so we didn't have much time there. Here's what we DID see at BC: The Top part of the pergola was removed for some type of adjustment. They have planted several blueberry bushes among the front yard landscaping. It really IS a long way from the house to the edge of the Medomak River! And my money tree is thriving… Stay tuned.:*xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 25, 2012 at 12:46 pm
    • Kitty,
      I hope you body has recovered from the long ride and that you are feeling better!
      I looked at a map to see the PLhouse.Beautiful! The sound of the crashing waves should help you sleep well. What have you been up to? I see you met with some fellow bloggers!
      Good for you. I never thought to check for posts from you. I have been counting the days saying she might be home around this time and will check for blog. Duhhhh to me, never thought you would be bringing a lap top…Hope you and Gary are having a WONDERFUL time!!! Oh found posts on money tree, side of barn good idea :) ENJOY! Windee :)
      <3xD

Windee :) on July 26, 2012 at 6:35 am
    • Hi Windee! Thus far, Gary and I are mostly relaxing, reading and doing some more of the same. we have a perfect view from a huge picture window in our log cabin and you're right it's the best for sound effects at sleepy time! We see Monhegan Island and Manana straight out 10 miles in the ocean from our cottage and on a clear, sunny day can even see Monhegan's houses and structures! We also enjoy watching the lobster fishermen and women hauling in their catch right in front of us–and we have really enjoyed stuffing our bellies with lobster even more!:p I reported miscellaneous observations on the BC in the new thread. Hope you are well! Haven't had the chance to meet Lisa or her alpacas yet, though we drove over to her B & B, which is quite nice! No alpacas in sight.:| Perhaps when I go back to check my crop by the barn….Hope you're having good weather there in CT. It's been in the 100s back home, so I've been told! We've had on and off rain storms here, but I don't mind–I love hearing it on the roof; it's good for plants, and it has kept our temps in the low 60s at night to mid to upper 70s during the day. I love it!: Take care and have a great evening! *<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 26, 2012 at 6:17 pm
    • Hi Kitty,
      Oh good you and Gary are relaxing and enjoying the views. I love the sound of the surf when going off to sleep. Rented a house by the water back in the days of the dinosaur. Kept my bedroom window open a couple inches the whole time we lived there so I could listen to the surfs lulabye. Miss that and the views whether it be a bright blue sky or a stormy sky over the ocean!
      OMG 100's awful. Enjoy the weather in Maine as much as possible while you can right. I wouldln't want to go back to that heat! Maybe you can feed the money tree Miracle grow and pluck it so you can stay longer :) Speaking of staying I can't ,waiting for a storm to start…have to run to the store real quick. Have already batten down the hatches……Enjoy!!! When you see the Alpaca's give them an extra pet on the head/neck from me please. Keep on relaxing and enjoying your precious Maine!……………………..Talk to you soon…….Windee ;)

Windee :) on July 26, 2012 at 7:34 pm
    • Welcome to Maine, Kitty. I was just in CT and NH the past 2 days for my great nephew's first birthday. It's good to be back in Maine though. Hope we get to meet each other.

Camac on July 23, 2012 at 8:49 pm
    • Hi Camac! Gary and I would like to meet you in the next couple of days. I have your number, but our cell phone service has been horrible. We haven't been to Scottie yet, where I think I can use my cell to call you. It feels So good to be home!, but we've done nothing but rest and see about the money trees…. In my dreams, Jennie and Lilly came and helped with the planting and they are growing at a clip. We need to keep nurturing them so there's a good barn reno crop. That's the goal. :D ;) Well, of coarse you already know all about it from the blog! When would be a good time for you? We're open Tomorrow and Wednesday, would like to take you to lunch?xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 23, 2012 at 9:09 pm
    • I had every intention of going to bed at a reasonable time tonight and then I started researching string trimmers. Still no decision on a trimmer and now it's past midnight. I think I could work out lunch tomorrow- I need to be getting to some touch up painting for some people “in town” this week and some work for my neighbor sometime tomorrow after 11 then Bible Study in the evening at 7. Wednesday is also possible although I'm usually picking up two other people for a ladies bible study that starts at 1. Let me know what works best for you.

Camac on July 24, 2012 at 12:21 am
    • Was that , "tomorrow–today" or"tomorrow, –as in Wednesday?" You did write your post after midnite, hehehe! we can do a late lunch today if that works for you! Don't know which palate interests you for today, German of all-American at Moody's–you pick! :) ;):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 24, 2012 at 9:16 am
    • I meant Tuesday, today. Since you are the “visitor/ guest ” in the area, I'll let you choose. I'm flexible. Have you been by the BC yet? You could come on down to my place and see the river up close and we could go from here. If you're coming up 32 you have to pass Dutch Neck anyway. By late lunch, are you thinking around 3? I usually just work with my neighbor for 3 or 4 hours and with the warm humid day it may be less if at all so I would probably be free anytime after 2.

Camac on July 24, 2012 at 9:49 am
    • 2 P.M. sounds perfect! We're not sure how long it will take us from Pemaquid Point, We came a different direction, from Scottie, last time. We also need to check our crops. Had a nice strong rain last night–did you? We'll see you at your place about 2 then! :) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 24, 2012 at 10:07 am
    • As it turns out, I'll be working with her tomorrow instead of today, so I'll be around. It's time to stop trimmer research and get something done. It should take about 30 -40 minutes coming up Route 32 to my place. You'll pass the BC on your left. My road goes off to the left after 7 houses (last one is halfway down to the shore). There's a badly done private drive sign and an old stepladder leaning on a tree near the road. Watch out for the holes in the road particularly near the cabin.

Camac on July 24, 2012 at 11:50 am
    • Supe! See you soon and looking forward to meeting you!xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm
    • Camac, I was so happy to finally meet you, especially, when we got delayed, yet again by another Maine thunderstorm! Thanks for joining Gary and me at Moody's–everything was deelush! Also, thanks so much for the extra hands with the money tree! Isn't its growth amazing?! That super jet-ion-powered fertilizing stuff Jennie brought was like none other… One thing I really had not realized about the Waldoboro area is how hilly it really is, including the BC area. What a surprise. It had been many yeas since I had been to Waldoboro, other than traveling HWY 1 and stopping at Moody's. Lots of property on the market! Hope to see you again soon. Thanks for everything, Camac!;)^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 25, 2012 at 1:00 pm
    • Have fun and be safe. Gives us updates when you find the time. Enjoy.

Hawkweed on July 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm
    • Thank you, Hawkweed! I'll be checking in on the blog. I'm having some connectivity issues with the wireless here at the cottage, but I don't give up easily. It just may take a bit longer. We just had one of Maine's ubiquitous big thunderstorms and are waiting for the dregs to subside so we can drive out to the BC and to see Camac. Stay tuned all you mighty Bloggies! :D B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm
  10. Beautiful! I am just "itching" for more pictures. I can't wait.

Aimee on July 21, 2012 at 10:40 pm