Jul 10

Take a Behind-the-Scenes Look

Blog Cabin Behind the Scenes Photos

Blog Cabin’s talented crew of home improvement experts takes pride in their work. And they also know how let loose and have a little (a lot of) fun on the set. Photographer Frank Murray captured some classic moments from the filming of this year’s episodes. Take a peek at the adorable pictures and post your thoughts below. Got a fave? Tell us why.

• Posted at 4:22 pm on July 7, 2012

1. Did last years BC have a check to go with the house like the Green home or Dream home???

asandmancan on July 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm
    • That's a good question–but, unfortunately, no. No car, either. :| Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 9:23 pm
    • That meens you will have to eather have money or take out a lone for the taxes!!! :'( :@

asandmancan on July 12, 2012 at 11:08 pm
  2. Crisp Cool … I love the rain. Especially when experiencing 100 degree heat. Just imagining kicking back on the Adirondacks with a fire going in the outdoor, enjoying friends and family. I even took an "imaginary" drive to the school while stopping off at Moody's

ormondalliance on July 12, 2012 at 9:57 pm
  3. One month from tomorrow will be the big day to start entering! Does anyone know how long the entry period will be? I bet everyones getting excited as it is coming up quick. Sometimes it didn't seem so quick early on, but now it's a stones throw away…Good Luck to everyone!………..Windee :)

Windee :) on July 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm
    • Back at ya, Windee!!! Good luck to you yourself too!!!:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm
  4. Looking at the barn pics on the alternate site I would guess that bringing it up to be on a par with the exterior of the house is going to be expensive. It looks like it needs a roof and lots of scraping/power washing and then paint on the exterior. The floor has to be upgraded to make it usable for parking. Electrification would require a separate service be run from the other side of the street. Water will require another well or very expensive piping under the road which my be prohibited by ordinance or building codes. Based on the amount of extra work that was required in the first floor of the house I would say that DIY bought a money pit and will be leaving a lot for the winner to take care of. Perhaps the barn should be scraped and the property on that side of the road be given to the conservancy. Depending on how that was done you would have a tax right off for the donation or a tax credit for the land being in the conservancy. Then the owners could build a nice garage and "breezeway" on the same side of the road as the house that would be compatible with the house. Just thinking that, while this is a beautiful house, the rest of the deal is not as good as some of the previous BCs. I will still enter and try to win it, but then I am not sure what I would do if I won it.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 12:43 am
    • Ha ha, you are daring (but also practical) to mention the thought of scrapping the barn, with the many barn lovers on the blog ! I do not know that it would make sense to try to have water or power out in the barn, but home_girl has seen the barn in person and mentioned that it would work for someone to keep animals in there…we can have an interesting debate about that for sure ! I would shore up a barn structurally if I ever had land that came with a barn..I am too sentimental about barns to imagine tearing one down….;)

LLColeman on July 13, 2012 at 2:46 am
    • The barn didn't look all that bad to me when I was there, little paint and repair some wood shingles and it should be good. I couldn't see the roof from the inside but outside didn't look to bad, looks like someone patched the roof with some new shingles so they are a different color. A nice new tin roof wouldn't hurt but that means money from Kitty money tree. I looked at the floor joist under the barn and what I could see they looked fine to me, I don't see why a car, truck or tractor couldn't be parked in the barn. But you might want an pro to look at it to be safe. I would use it just as it is for now, could always change it later.
      You could always run a garden hose across the road to the barn for water. The house is not that far from the barn and the water hose are right there on side of the house. With that light on the front of the barn there must of been some form of electricity there at one time or another. So it shouldn't be to hard to hook it back up, if it isn't there all ready and just needs to be turned back on.

home_girl on July 13, 2012 at 3:03 am
    • The DIY team has evaluated the barn as not being strong enough to support the weight of a car, without saying what was wrong. That is why I suggested that the winner should be give a copy of the structural analysis of the barn. Given how bad the floor was on the first floor of the house one can only assume that the barn, which doesn't seem to have a basement would probably have similar issues. As much as having a barn would be great aesthetically as well as practically the cost to really put in shape might be enough that when combined with the tax advantages of donating the land it would be the best alternative. Then you would be free to build a smaller, replica, pole barn on the same side of the road as the house which would be more practical and possibly cheaper in the long run. JMHO. One possibility would be to paint and American Flag on the side of the barn as part of the rehab effort. Just need one more money tree. ROFLOL

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 8:22 am
    • I don't mind sharing my money tree–I like sharing, but i really would appreciate it when you do pluck some "fruit" you'll check the soil for water and fertilizer and give it what it needs, if I'm down here in VA for a spell. Thanks so much!:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 14, 2012 at 6:20 pm
    • Greetings fellow bloggers! I have been thinking of the barn as well. A LOAD BEARING structure is VERY important to utilize the barn for most any capacity.. Whether it is to store the trusty John Deer as well as other misc. lawn equipment, salt during the winter, cleaning supplies for the hot tub, fertilizer, feed & hay -should you decide to have some animals… Heck!! Even having a place for the animals under the main floor boards as shelter during the harsh winter… Well, I could go on and on.
      TIN ROOF would be nice as well.. Where was Kitty going to plant that money tree?!? :P
      Hate to type this :( THE BARN LOOKS BAD WITH THE MISMATCHED SHINGLES. :(
      Honestly, I would be upset if I had WORKED SO HARD on this years' Blog Cabin and the curb appeal from the house was detracted from because of the barn. The BARN BELONGS TO AND IS A PART OF THE BLOG CABIN across the road. Just can't blame the delapidated barn on the neighbors down the road! ;) ;) Just Sayin' Truly, Lilly

Lilly on July 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm
    • I'm an open book, Lilly. When I find the perfect spot, I'm sure everyone on this Blog will know!B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 14, 2012 at 6:23 pm
    • Hi Lilly, They could have let Jason and Crew landscape in front of the Barn and added the same landscaping plants, trees and boulders to show the two places belonged together…I bet Jason made a comment about it and suggested they do something but whoever was in charge, wouldn't let him..
      It couldn't have cost that much to landscape the barn area. They could have given up the Hot Tub, the Spa tub and Mega Den for some great landscaping, a new tin roof, a new paint job and new flooring!!
      I would rather have the Barn redone, instead of those three I mentioned…It's going to take Mega Bucks to repair the floor for safety and to utilize it for all the barn usage, also a garage for the cars….
      Well, Lets get the fertilizer out and more garden soil, Kitty needs to start a Money Tree garden to take care of the Barn Reno!!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 14, 2012 at 9:28 pm
    • You are right Jennie — It will take a money tree to do all the things we brought up in the blogs!! Last night I shared the photos and my dreams of the BLOG Cabin with my husband. Of course the FIRST thing he asked about was the garage! :( UGH! I remained positive and told him about all the possibilities.. He agreed with you. It will take MEGA BUCKS. Once again, expressing in a positive manner -I told him that it is just one of those things in life that you just add to when you can. :) Unfortunately, the ugly realistic thought was lurking in the back of my mind thinking of how the bounty harvested from the money tree is our ONLY hope! Okay Jennie I have my shovel ready! Maybe before the blog cabin is given to the winner we can get the tree planted! I am good to go! Are you ready?? Let's help Kitty plant that tree!! :)

lilly on July 15, 2012 at 2:26 pm
    • Hi Lilly, I love your positive attitude and most of the time I have one too, but when we want everything to be perfect for the winner of this beautiful home, the poor barn across the street
      is begging for a facelift… It's hard to give in to defeat..We have to try and save it from being neglected and run down..You know….maybe their will be some great surprises inside the Red barn waiting to be discovered when the virtual tour goes through……How's that for positive thinking??? ..OK, OK you have your shovel and I will get the rest we need to plant those trees. When Kitty goes to Maine, she can scout out where she wants to plant them…we'll have to make a quick trip up there, while she is there, to plant at least "10 trees" to cover our big reno dreams… the trees will certainly need lots of "Miracle Grow" to give them a jump start before the winner's name is drawn! I'm ready when you are!!! Kitty leaves next Friday, maybe we can catch her at Moody's on the weekend and have lunch & a piece of their famous Walnut pie, then go plant our Magic Mega Buck Trees!!! I'll need the exercise after the pie! Sounds like a plan!!

Jennie/Florida on July 15, 2012 at 11:28 pm
    • OH, One more thing Lilly, we need to remind Kitty to be sure and get the Money trees that have a picture of Benjamin Franklin's picture on bills!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 16, 2012 at 12:11 am
    • Too many pictures!!!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm
    • You crack me up, Jennie!!! So now, you, Lilly, Gary (my hubby) and are meeting Monday at Moody's Diner to plant a CROP of money trees… Fun, especially if we can have ol' Ben Franklin along!:p^_^B) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm
    • and I

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm
    • How about a cheer to go along with all the positive thoughts – - –
      BEN – BEN HE'S MY MAN — IF HE CAN'T DO IT — NO ONE CAN !!!

YIPPEE!!! CLAP CLAP! JUMP UP DO A HERKY — NOW DOWN FOR THE SPLITS ! 'ouch' ;p
      Jennie, Kitty a little help getting up :) now, where is that miracle grow???

LILLY on July 17, 2012 at 10:31 pm
    • Jennie & Kitty I think Frank may have an answer for 'some' water by the barn — Look under CURIOUS 3days ago 8 replies

LILLY on July 17, 2012 at 11:11 pm
    • Great Cheer Lilly, Yeah… I did join you until we got to the part of doing the splits, If I had done the splits I wouldn't be able to make it up to Maine to plant those trees. It was fun and it did take me back to my cheerleading years in high school..My favorite time in H/C.
      I think we'll have to wait and buy the Miracle grow when we get there, I don't think they will let us bring it on the plane. But I'm all set and ready to grow some money…I hope Kitty read my post to her before she left…it is at the bottom of page 3..Please read!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 20, 2012 at 11:09 am
    • High School

Jennie/Florida on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 pm
    • Sorry, Lilly I can't do the split any more–but YOU seemed to handle it just fine! :D That was a great cheer! Gary and i are going to Reny's in Damariscotta, 1st thing to pick up Miracle Grow. We' have the finest Franklin Money Tree seeds (same I have used previously–fast germination and maturation proven stock! Already packed, of course. Alright, the rest is weather, water, MG and some good plant talking. :D :pB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 18, 2012 at 10:09 pm
    • The barn really looks fine from what I've seen of it- but I guess it is a great subject for discussion. By the way, the power line is actually on the barn side in that area. The roof had been patched back when the property was first on the market. As I recall we had some high winds that made the patch necessary.

Camac on July 16, 2012 at 12:04 am
  5. Ok, I ready to start moving that lawn if Chris an Josh come with the mover,,,haha : )

Ann Gaynor on July 13, 2012 at 5:00 am
    • I'll bet that you have ulterior motives. ;) xD

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 8:23 am
  6. Can anyone, like maybe home girl, tell me where pix #12 is taken? It looks like a paved driveway. But where would that be?

vicki_in_Utah on July 13, 2012 at 7:50 am
    • That is the driveway that leads up to the front door of the barn. It is also the parking spot for the winner's vehicles that exceed the floor strength of the barn.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 8:25 am
    • Thanks YankeeNuke, It didn't relize there was so much grass next to the barn.

vicki_in_Utah on July 13, 2012 at 8:32 am
    • Cute baby pic. Thanks for sharing. If you go to google maps and search on 620 dutch neck, waldoboro, me you will be able to zoom in on the BC and see what the property looks like in the satellite view. Note that this picture is from before any work was done on the house, so the old, small barn is still there. In addition there was a picture of the property when they announced the donation to the land conservancy.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 10:27 am
  7. I love all the pics.

StormyWV on July 13, 2012 at 9:31 am
    • Yay ! Glad you are back on…a couple of posts back i was mentioning missing bloggers and the states they live in….happy to have WV checking back in ! 14 days is just too long to go without power !

LLColeman on July 14, 2012 at 3:38 am
    • Thanks, I am glad to be back.

StormyWV on July 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm
  8. DIY will you give us the barn's actual square footage and structural condition? I think its only fair that we're provided, along with the house's estimated value, the property taxes. Are the furnishings an option? Did your crews put in a gravel drive close to the house? Is there an interior way into the basement? If not, why? I'm glad that the winner will be getting a John Deere power mower. Do they also get a snow blade? Can you provide more views of the acerage, especially down by the Medomak? Is the entrance door an all-weather one? Do the sliding doors have screens? If not, why? Mine are general questions. So far, from the brief glimpses,everything looks promising.

Curious on July 13, 2012 at 7:32 pm
    • Good morning Curious, where did you get the info that the winner was getting a John Deere power mower??? I sure missed that! Also the question about the square footage of the barn was in the Q&A to the builders. Mary said we would get that answer soon…still haven't got that answer along with more questions the bloggers have asked…We're still waiting for Mary to respond to those questions….

HELLO MARY..If you're reading our Blogs……..Please respond to all our unanswered questions!!!! We would be so Greatful…..

Jennie/Florida on July 14, 2012 at 9:40 am
    • So Grateful !!!

Jennie/Florida on July 14, 2012 at 9:53 am
  9. Love the Danes, Roxie & Baker. Kisses from Danes are the best !

crae71 on July 14, 2012 at 7:57 am
  10. I'm rewording a question thatI I posted earlier. Is DIY providing a John Deere power motor to the winner? It certainly would come in handy in maintaining the grounds. I would like to know the types of plants and trees that the landscapers put in, too. Perhaps all our many questions will be answered before the start of the sweepstakes.

Curious on July 14, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    • I like your thinking, but I would opt for gutters. People keep saying there are no gutters on the home which I find hard to believe?

Hawkweed on July 14, 2012 at 10:55 pm
    • Better re-word that. I believe what people here are saying here on the blog. Just hard for me to believe DIY would not put gutters on that home in Maine.

Hawkweed on July 14, 2012 at 10:56 pm
    • Check the pictures, only gutters are the ones that have not yet fallen off the sides of the barn.

YankeeNuke on July 16, 2012 at 4:41 pm
    • EUREKA!!!! You solved the water issue for the barn.. Strategically placed rain barrels under the remaining gutters. Let there be water– hallalujah! –AMEN!
      See? Benjamin does not have to solve this issue it was good ol FRANK with help fom above! YEAH FRANK!!! Bring on the next issue to be solved – - :P

LILLY on July 17, 2012 at 10:59 pm
    • Frank 'n H2O –Here we go!!! One mystery solved. Look for money tree crop on remaining BC land next to donated MVCL land circa 1880s Barn. Crops should remain hidden and available ONLY to members of the DIY Blog 2012–a gift of Kitty and hubby Gary Zaugg! With special thanks for support and assistance of Jennie/Florida and Lilly! B):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 18, 2012 at 10:53 am
    • Hi Curious! I may have mislead you with regard to the John Deer – - I typed this item in my blog as a way to express to the "higher powers that be" the importance of the barn having a load baring floor for the winner of the blog cabin.

The landscaping IS INCREDIBLE! They certainly out did themselves with all the exterior PLANTINGS, boulders, rock walls, stone pathways, paver patio, Trek decks, Hot Tub, stone fireplace..
      How to care for them would be nice!! I was wondering if some of these plants could be split and replanted across the street by the barn.. That would help tie in the house with the barn. Helpful hints would be great! — I DO TRY to plant and grow nice greenery, alas, I have earned the nick name Lilly of the black thumb! :( One day I hope to OUTGROW this nick name :P
      Have a great day! Lilly

Lilly on July 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm
    • Most people around here think the landscaping, out front at least, looks a little over the top and ridiculous. We can't wait to see how the rocks and juniper survive the snow plows. Maybe we'll be proven wrong.
      Regarding gutters, many places don't have gutters- it's one less thing for the snow to pull down.

Camac on July 16, 2012 at 12:18 am
    • I think that a priority would be to mark the edge of the road like they do other places so that the snow plow drivers can see where the edge is. Part of the problem is the house is too close to the road.

YankeeNuke on July 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm
    • The John Deere tractor/mower in the pictures is no longer made by Deere, at least it isn't on their products web site. It that was probably borrowed and brought in to mow the grass for the pictures. Probably they have someone who comes in to maintain the lawn and beds.

YankeeNuke on July 15, 2012 at 9:48 pm