Jul 10

Take a Behind-the-Scenes Look

Blog Cabin Behind the Scenes Photos

Blog Cabin’s talented crew of home improvement experts takes pride in their work. And they also know how let loose and have a little (a lot of) fun on the set. Photographer Frank Murray captured some classic moments from the filming of this year’s episodes. Take a peek at the adorable pictures and post your thoughts below. Got a fave? Tell us why.

• Posted at 4:22 pm on July 7, 2012

1. I never thought I would say how much I would love to see rain but those pics gave me hope that some day soon we will see rain again in southern Wisconsin i say a prayer every night for my farmer friends and their livestock. We are going to be getting another scorcher of a weekend, no rain in sight. The pics of the cabin look so awesome. One person is sure going to be lucky when they win this. I keep hoping it will be one of the bloggers.

flashy on July 11, 2012 at 9:33 pm
    • With you 100% Flashy!<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 11, 2012 at 10:03 pm
  2. I was wondering if the winner will be given copies of the structural reports/data on the barn, especially the floor that is too weak to hold a car.

YankeeNuke on July 12, 2012 at 12:24 am
    • Excellent point, Frank!:) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 5:37 pm
    • I would want to know that information also. The barn is going to have to be a garage for the time being after someone wins.

Hawkweed on July 12, 2012 at 6:29 pm
    • Well they have been clear that the floor can't support a car, so that would mean that minor or major rebuild of at least part of the floor structure would be required before it could be used to house the car. There is plenty of room on the north end of the house for a car shelter.

YankeeNuke on July 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm
    • I would want the barn floors re-secured if i had it. It would be such a shame to have that big barn but have it rendered virtually useless, awaiting its own demise. When I'm up in Waldoboro, I'll be doing my best to figure what I can out. Obviously I cannot trespass, if the property is locked up, but I'll wear my glasses and take pictures….;)B) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm
    • Get a set of jungle cammies and night vision googles with video recording capability and play terminator on recon while you are there ;) Kitty be safe, enjoy your vacation, don't spend too much time digging around the cabin, all will be revealed shortly. Maybe Mary could have an intern take an hour and ferret out our questions and then respond to them. That would squash the speculation somewhat. Take care. &lt;span class="idc-smiley"&gt;&lt;span style="background-position: -48px -12px;"&gt;&lt;span&gt;&lt;3&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/span&gt; Frank

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 8:08 am
    • You too are so funny, I can just picture this in my head!!! LOL :) The good news is that barns get refurbished here in New England all the time and I happen to know of a couple great guys that do nothing but reclaim post & beam structures so I am sure they would be able to give some direction or advice. It would be such a travesty I feel to allow the barn to become useless!! I grew up in a big typical N.E. farmhouse with a big barn like that, even had one the old horse drawn apple presses down underneath and have many fond memories of playing in that barn ( hiding in all the cool places) Would love someone to be able to share that same experience with their children or grandchildren!!! You would become the coolest Grandparent ^_^^_^

heaven-bound23 on July 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm
    • I too loved playing in my grandfather barn. Oh the fun we had and the neat things we found stored in there. Once we even found some old red velvet movie seat. We played for hour with them make believe we was at the theater, other would do something funny while rest watched.
      fond memories…

home_girl on July 13, 2012 at 11:13 pm
  3. Liked them all! The fun they're having makes me even more excited for the reveal! That'll translate nicely in the final design. :-D

zainab on July 12, 2012 at 9:39 am
  4. Too bad that isn't Ahmed in the photo.

I love the glimpse of the kitchen and love that master bed frame.

Nebraska on July 12, 2012 at 10:34 am
    • Yeah–I still miss Ahmed too….:( Drats! Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm
    • Yeah turf wars and yard crashers just isn't the same with out him.

vicki_in_Utah on July 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm
    • He has the most infectious smile, doesn't he??? :D <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 9:25 pm
  5. All of those photos were great ,everyone looks right at home especially Victoria with the dart off for daffs, glad we get to see a bit of the kitchen, which by the way awesome as I knew it would with her rustic details

Rene'e C. on July 12, 2012 at 12:30 pm
  6. It's good to know that some people enjoy there work. You can see how much fun there having!!!

And
    Okay, I am a guy so I will say it… I like any pic's with the Beautiful Alison Victoria!!! <3 :* ;)

asandmancan on July 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm
  7. Good Afternoon Everyone!!I I have looked at the Photos over and over and really enjoy seeing everyone having fun..Plus doing a great job…Then I noticed in (photo #9) looking at the front of the house for the first time with roof top, I saw a square skylight or Port hole over the Mega's Den area….Is that something they added without revealing it to us???
    I remember when they installed the rectangular window w/screen in M/D roof on the back side, but don't recall them ever mentioning a skylight on the front side of roof for the M/D.. Please enlighten me on this one.. I'm so happy to see their is more light added to the M/D..but I must have been snoozing when they mentioned it or did they sneaked it in without telling us they installed it….Nice surprise to me!!!! Anyone else miss this one??

Jennie/Florida on July 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm
    • I thought they were adding a Solar Tube, which, I only have seen as round. Maybe that has changed? Could that be over the library? The stairwell? I had seen something there, but didn't remember it as square.:):p Just more questions…Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm
    • A solar tube was mentioned way back by Mary or in one of the Q&A sections (just can't remember which). That little thing looks like a solar tube collector. My guess is that it's either for the sleep platform in the Mega Den or to get some natural light downstairs in the MBR closet.

Ally on July 12, 2012 at 6:05 pm
    • I have been an advocate for solar tubes, which I have only seen as round as well. The piping that carries the ight down is like stovepipe, except that it is highly polished inside. They are very effective light gathering devices, energy efficient from the standpoint of heat loss/gain, less likely to leak and easier to install than sky lights. They however do not provide any airflow. The "piping" that brings the light down into the house can be offset so that if light is more available on the side of a roof away from the house space to be lit it is possible using the piping to get the light where you need it. I wonder is someone has figured out how to efficiently use fiberoptic light pipes in bunches to bring the light down and that is how they made the square configuration work?

YankeeNuke on July 12, 2012 at 6:23 pm
    • Hi Jennie,
      that solar tube was mention before, someone complained that it was on the front of the house. When I was there, it looked like it was in the office/libarary room. I saw a bright light shinning in there that day, only room that had the shade open.

home_girl on July 12, 2012 at 9:49 pm
    • Thank you home_girl….I hadn't seen the solar tube before.. I don't see anything wrong with it, I wonder why someone complained about it. They should be glad the upstair rooms are getting more light since their are no windows on the riverside….I was hoping for that ceiling light to be in the Mega Den for more light, but i'm sure they have added more artifical lighting to make up for the lack of natural light!!! Victoria did say there was good lighting in there….
      The more I look at that Birch tree, that is suppose to be centered between the windows, the less I like it…That center space should have something special as a focal point for the front of this home…Some say trellis and I think a piece of round stained glass would be perfect for that space….I guess that would have to be a home project for the homeowner…Costly I must say…Too bad DIY didn't take care of that while the opening was there…We begged for a round stained glass window when they had the cut out still there, but was ignored. I guess not enough budget left!

Jennie/Florida on July 12, 2012 at 10:58 pm
    • You could go whole hog and put a picture of an interior of a house with somebody standing in the door way, maybe waving like the Queen. You could put the picture behind plexiglass and then put the screen doors over top of that. ^_^^_^

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 2:05 pm
  8. The house appears to have no gutters or downspouts. Does anyone know why DIY never puts gutters on these houses any more? Only the first BC had gutters. Since then no gutters.

AnniesOwn on July 12, 2012 at 6:08 pm
    • Gutters and down spouts provide two services. First they keep water from the roof from cascading down over an entry way or deck/patio area that you don't want flooded by the roof run-off. Second the down spouts can be used to direct water away from the foundation minimizing the possibility of water accumulating along the foundation, creating hydrostatic pressure and causing seepage into the house/basement. Since the foundation is old and the soil around it relatively well settled/packed the danger of building pressure is minimal. It the grading is proper this will also help direct roof water away from the house. In the frozen north in the winter the snow on the roof can build ice dams at the gutters and force water back up into the roof below the shingles causing dampness to get into the roof sheathing starting all maker of wet problems. While modern roofing materials and application techniques reduce this to almost zero, not having gutters allows the snow to offload from the roof naturally and without creating ice dams. Finally the gutters would alter the "period look" of the house. Remember that this house is a work in process and the winner gets to finish it how they want it.

YankeeNuke on July 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm
    • Frank I don't know about you, but if this home is worth over Five hundred thousand dollars, I would think the home should be "totally" done for that price….Hopefully when the winner receives the keys to the home, they won't have to bring anything but their tooth brush, clothes and personal things, of course their collectables, yard tools and lawn equipment! Oh and don't forget the pets!!!!
      The only thing I see that needs some work done, would be that beautiful old Red Barn needing some TLC!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm
    • Don' see a lot go gutters in Florida because the houses don't have basements and the soil is so sandy that the water runs away pretty quick from the roof drip. I did put up gutters in critical areas like over doorways, but that is it.
      I think that the barn needs more than TLC.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm
    • Hi Frank, I have gutters all around my roof and still get waterfalls when we have those Heavy downpours….I'm sure you're right about the barn…but some TLC doesn't hurt either..I just love that barn and would be so sad if they destroyed it….Hopefully it's in good enough condition to repair the floor and get it back to, the barn it use to be….I know, I know…$$$ is the word!!!
      Have a good day, I'm going out to cut my grass before we get our rains this afternoon…It's so hot and muggy… probably 95 with heat index. I am so ready for October!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 14, 2012 at 10:18 am
    • Jennie, that is florida. I only have gutters where there are doors or roof angles that funnel heavy water. I have to clean gutters at least twice a year to keep the live oak trees from filling them up and sometimes they still overflow, even with the oversized downspouts. We don't have to deal with freeze/thaw and generally have sand and no basements so the water does get away pretty quick. We are fortunate in that the planning for our development was smart and took into account potential flooding issues, so we stay high and dry. The barn will remain a mystery until they reveal more info on the condition of it's bones, Be sure to stay hydrated when you are out mowing and try not to kill any alligators with your mower. Heh Heh Heh be safe.

YankeeNuke on July 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm
    • Thanks. I know the reasons for and against gutters and I don't agree with most of the arguments against. I live in the 'frozen north' where we get plenty of rain and snow: ice dams are mostly a myth. Never had one and although I often hear of them from people selling gutter heaters no one I know has had one either. Good gutter guards, clean gutters and downspouts eliminate that problem. As for snow accumolation, we get on average over 100 inches a year, about twice the average for Waldoboro and gutters help if anything as they stop large chunks of snow and ice falling and damaging decks, patios and people. A bigger peoblem is a sudden thaw / freeze. If water isn't directed away from close to the foundations it seeps into the ground right next to the house where the ground is warmest and thaws first. When it freezes the expansion can easliy crack even concrete foundation walls. That I have seen several times.

AnniesOwn on July 13, 2012 at 3:34 pm
    • I lived in PA and NJ and saw ice dams in clean gutters. The back flow damage has been mostly eliminated by the special roof sealers that are applied along the edges of the roof. I am assuming that since the DIY yard crashers did the landscaping and since the foundation has been in the ground for over 100 years so it is well settled, I doubt that there will be much water seeping down along the foundation. On the flip side not having gutters does allow an even distribution of the rain run off into the beds to help water the landscape plants naturally. I agree with you that where there are doors, decks or patios there should be gutters. i am not sure of the weather patterns in Waldoboro so I won't comment on how much of a problem the freeze thaw cycle would present. In the case of the barn it has the remnants of gutters and downspouts and the roof doesn't have any overhang so the water runs down the sides and right next to the foundation.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm
    • I didn't see any when I was there, but the house did have them on before they started taking it apart, by what I could see on the before pictures. Why they didn't put them back up I don't know. The back of the house could sure use them.
      The Hot Tub sit near the roof run off, but think it far enough out so don't drip into it.

home_girl on July 12, 2012 at 10:00 pm
    • My main concern for not having gutters and downspouts is when it's raining so hard in downpours, the flowerbeds take a beating and the mulch is washed away, the flowers are battered….not good for the beds…In downpours the guest will get soaked at the front door waiting for someone the answer the door knocker, but the homeowner can't hear the door knocker because the rain is making so much noise beating down on the terrace and deck, the door knocker still can't be heard because
      it's starting to hail so hard and is bouncing all over the front terrace and beating the poor guest in the head and still no one answers the doorknocker, so the guest gets on her phone and calls the homeowner and tells her goodby and goes down the walkway and starts to cross the street and a truck comes by and sprays her with a big puddle, she finally gets to her car and the door is locked and she realizes her purse is in the chair on the terrace so she crosses the street again and finally gets her soaked purse and just walks to her car exausted..What a dilemma and all because of no gutters and down spouts and no covered overhead Pergola to protect her from the weather….

Jennie/Florida on July 13, 2012 at 12:13 am
    • Ha Ha Jennie I liked that story, after finding that no one can hear her knocking with that nice door knocker. Before she go back to her car again after she gets her purse, she decided to try one more time to see them. So she thought she would run out back to look in the glass door thinking maybe someone will see her standing there to let her in. But finding all those trees in the way to the back yard she has to walk around them and slips in the mud because the car port wasn't there to help keep the yard dry. She makes it to the back to find more trees, fireplace and the hot tub in the way, so she has to go all the way around them to the walk way into the back yard. She passes the dog house and goes up the steps to the deck to again stand under the pouring down rain for the gutter didn't get put back up there to keep rain from falling on the deck and against the windows. The rain is pouring down the window so hard she can't see in and the hail hitting her harder now. So she standing there where no one can see her though the rain washed window. She try knocking on the glass but the folks inside thinks it the hail and leaves her standing there getting wet. so she gives up and goes back down the steps and pass the dog house, then she stops and goes into the dog house to get out of the hail/rain storm and try to call again to let the folk know she stuck in the dog house and that she glad it's a nice big one too…

home_girl on July 13, 2012 at 2:20 am
    • Jennie and Home_Girl your joint story turned into more of a nightmare! Good thing they made the dog barn doors bigger and play house sized, but by the time the guest got inside there she/he would've been soaked and battered with hail bruises and miserable to boot! Bring on the logical! Let us have proper gutters, non-muddied parking beside the front door entry and a door bell that rings throughout the house, while the guest plays with Mr. Antique Door Knocker… Hurry up and answer the door, for Pete's sake!o.0:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm
    • Hi Kitty, I got a little carried away but I could see all these things happening to that poor guest and was trying to stress that the BC needs those things to make this home safer
      and more up to date for the homeowner…I know it's too late now, but If the winners are up in age and can afford to live there, it would be so nice to have a covered Pergola carport at the end of the kitchen to use especially during bad weather and it just makes sense to me..
      How much is this house worth and it doesn't even have a carport or garage??? What were they thinking? But the BC does have beautiful land,…
      Oh yes and a Hot tub a Spa tub and a big Mega Den..The money they spent on those three could have built a Nice garage on the side of the BC or at least a covered Pergola Carport! OK I'm done, I'm going to cut my grass before we get our storms this afternoon.. I will blog to you about your trip before you leave next Friday!!!! Have a good day!

Jennie/Florida on July 14, 2012 at 11:13 am
    • Oh one more thing Kitty…they sure need a Door Bell!! The Great Door Knocker could be just for looks because with a long house like this, it's Not the answer!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 14, 2012 at 11:29 am
    • Jennie/Florida, I loved your story.
      Why isn’t there a pergola?

Eugenia27 on July 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm
    • Hi Eugenia27, Thank you, I guess I was trying to make a few points..We did vote on
      a Pergola for the front terrace and Entryway, but the one they installed isn't anything like the one we voted on!! They decided to use the old Corbel that was on the original front door. I think it looks good and adds some of the old charm it had, but not much coverage for the entrance when it's pouring rain….No Carport or Garage..I can just see Grandma getting out of the car in the pouring rain or snow and steps in a slushy mud puddle to start with, then has to step up on the terrace without slipping, then onto the big piece of slab that looks pretty high. Then from the slab, a big step inside the front door…
      Poor Grandma, she's exhausted just trying to get in the front door and is soaking wet..
      I don't think, they considered who may be using this entryway when designing the front entrance..It should have been designed for easy entry access for all. It looks great and very inviting, but it doesn't meet the criteria of all who may enter…..Just My Thoughts…Have a good evening!!

Jennie/Florida on July 14, 2012 at 7:19 pm
    • I agree! Now picture Grandma with a walker and an oxygen tank.
      I understand that DIY is aimed at young people who can still do construction but I have found that the people who care enough to restore& refurbish their homes also care for their parents and grandparents.

Eugenia27 on July 14, 2012 at 7:58 pm
    • Dear, Dear Jennie–when I said your story turned into a nightmare I wasn't being critical–rather I was reflecting on the true facts you and Home_Girl presented so well that could have been humorous if they weren't so tragically reflective of the horrendous planning concerning entry and egress of the house! And the doorbell issue is just another part of the sad tale. There is a 1/3 pergola with ZERO SHELTER for those standing at the entryway. Parking is a non-thought. Even the last resident had a pull-in with gravel by the front entry. I have had a spa tub in my last and present home and never used them–ever. A steam shower–I would–for achy bones and sinuses–that would work! :) I watch very little TV. Haven't caved in and bought the thin thingys yet…. My TVs are overweight, I guess. When they die, I'll think about whatever's on the market then. The mega den will be mostly an extra guest room, if I happen to win. Can't sit there and see the water or the sky, clouds and birds, so what's the use? Waste. Pure waste. My new news is, my hubby impressed upon me to get on FaceBook (Kitty Zaugg). OK. I caved in. I've been avoiding it like the plague, but I have a confession: it's not that bad. Like blogging. I had never blogged before this one and I have made some wonderful Blog Buddies, such as you, Jennie. DIY would have to kick me off–and they'd better not, cause I'd really cry! :S:'(<3^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 14, 2012 at 6:09 pm
    • Sent you a friend request on FB.

YankeeNuke on July 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm
    • Jennie you are tough, but I agree that the house should have gutters. The barn had gutters, but some of them came down. It needs them because the roof didn't have any overhang and the run off goes down the sides, aging the paint faster. The house has overhangs so that won't be a problem except where there are valleys where the roof line turns. These areas could produce waterfalls without gutters and corner blockers.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm
    • I have always wondered that too AnniesOwn. I would rather have gutters then bird baths, and sundailes.

vicki_in_Utah on July 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm
    • I agree. On every remodel that we have done; we have focused on structure & practical issues. I.e.: electrical, plumbing, heat, drainage. Only when the bones of the home where up to our satisfaction did we even begin to worry about the “cutesy frou-frou fluff”. BC needs gutters.

Eugenia27 on July 14, 2012 at 4:23 pm
  9. Again. Just wanted to hoot out a great big thank you for this blog with never seen before pics of the 2012 Blog Cabin. Everyone enjoy.
    Well done. http://yourespecialtoo.com/HouseInWaldoboroME.htm….

Hawkweed on July 12, 2012 at 6:42 pm
  10. I would have liked the front of the house better if they had put a tall holly "tree" in the blank space where there is no window. Would have made the front more appealing than whatever type tree is there. I know picky picky, but that missing door in the middle of what was a "full cape cod" house design is out of context with maintaining the historic look of the old farm house.

YankeeNuke on July 12, 2012 at 7:07 pm
    • I don't know, I was thinking a Flower trellis with Roses or Ivy with Gardenia bushis for the fragrance would be nice!!! :D B)

asandmancan on July 12, 2012 at 7:24 pm
    • That would be a good choice as well, I think that the tree that they planted is wrong. As I have said several places the winner gets a project that is in process and will have to finish it up to his/her liking.

YankeeNuke on July 12, 2012 at 7:49 pm
    • Do you know what kind of tree is there now?

What project did they have last year?

asandmancan on July 12, 2012 at 8:37 pm
    • Looks like a white birch.The rehabbed a house that is on Mobjack Bay and the Chesapeake Bay in Susan, Virginia which is in Matthews County. They had to jack the house up 6-7 feet and put footings and a foundation under it because it occasionally floods part of the property. Actually that house had about 16 acres, a majority of which looked to be marsh/ high tide flood plain. They did a very nice job on the house, but it did not have a garage. I think that the only time they built a garage space is when the HOA required that each house have a garage.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 1:07 am
    • Birch trees are nice in columns or rows, but by it's self it looses it's appeal.

Last years winner did that???? =/

asandmancan on July 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm
    • DIY did the jacking and new foundation work. They also gutted the interior, but the framing was in better shape than the current BC.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm
    • A trellis would have worked nicely. I believe they planted white birch, which I love–except they planted it out in the yard,as if to camouflage the vacant, former door space, and it doesn't work. I would want that white birch moved and a trellis put there. If I accidentally won the place, I would design a stained glass window and find an artisan to make it for me. I'd put in an octagonal window at that staircase landing (if structurally possible). Well, with the window, I might have to adjust the trellis, and then I might have to look hard in my pocketbook, but, hey, maybe by then, the money tree I'm secretly planting while I'm in Maine in the next couple of weeks will have matured and born a lot of fruit. Yeah. That's right! No es problema!:pB):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 9:07 pm
    • That sounds good, though I would make that a staind glass window. Some thing to bring out the age of the house!!!

asandmancan on July 12, 2012 at 11:01 pm
    • Great minds think alike Asandmancan! That is exactly my thinking it's burried in all my wordiness of what you read, sorry–that I would design a stained glass window to insert–I already have my idea in mind. Perfect to add some age and character.^_^xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 11:12 pm
    • Well I don't know much about Main and what stile would best sute the locole town. But I think I would like a early Renaissance stile!!!

asandmancan on July 13, 2012 at 12:18 am
    • Butterflys are cute, But I prefer DragonFlys!
      The floral design it great I like that one!!
      The ship I don't much care for. I gess im not a bot kind of man!!!
      Here is some for you!!! http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Celtic+stain+http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Celtic+stain+

asandmancan on July 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm
    • Nice!!!
      You know that would be a nice project for the family that wins! Thay could design and make there own Staind Glass Window. Then the house will always have a little some thing of the winner to it!!! B) xD :p

asandmancan on July 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm
    • Sweet!B):D Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 14, 2012 at 6:12 pm
    • Great Idea DwnSoDwnEaster!!! Great minds think alike! :) :)
      I saved/salvaged a beautiful stained glass window from my Grandmother's barn and it could finally have a home!! It would be PERFECT as it is a rather LARGE RECTANGULAR STAINED GLASS WINDOW which even has GREEN and PURPLE glass to tie in with the house and flowers! My heart is racing just thinking of the possibilty!!! AAh — to finally uncrate it and place it in this beautiful home would be a dream come true! My fingers are crossed!
      Truly, Lilly

Lilly on July 13, 2012 at 11:54 am
    • Oh, Lilly! That stained glass sounds just perfect! Now all you need to do is become the BC winner! :) That space is begging for special treatment, isn't it? Have a great weekend everyone!!!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm
    • OH WOW! Would LOVE to win! The word of the day is SPECIAL :)
      A special person will win this special place.. Good Luck to all of us as we have all had special input for this special place! A special blogger winning would be just special !!! Have an exceptionally special weekend Kitty! Truly, Lilly! :)

Lilly on July 13, 2012 at 12:48 pm
    • Lilly, I love the idea of you being able to bring something old and from your Grandmother into that home if you are indeed the winner !!! Love the stained glass idea and your description sounds like it is just perfect ^_^ I think we all are just praying that it will be one of the bloggers and that in itself will make it so special!! But this waiting is KILLING meeeee, how about you??? not wishing the summer away but I want so bad to just go and start putting my own personal touches in the house and get planning for that barn dance we all talked about awhile back!!

heaven-bound23 on July 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm
    • Thank you Lilly! xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm
    • Hi Frank, …
      I sure wish Vicki in Utah and flashy in Wisconsin had 3 or 4 days of this rain we're getting…They sure need it more than we do… Also all the dried up corn fields….I feel so bad for the farmers who are going through these draughts and we have all this rain and can't even share it !!!
      Frank when the Contractor took the front door out and relocated it to the Northside of the home, some of us begged and pleated for them put in a round stain glass window in between the two double windows.. That would have given more light on the stairs, foyer and in the entryway. If it had been colored stain glass, it would have been beautiful coming through, especially when the sun was shining in….The stain glass window would have added Victorian charm to the home and add a beautiful focal point to the front wall..We begged for weeks, but then one day they just closed the window opening…and that was that….
      Boy, we were so disappointed.The tree they planted isn't centered in between the windows…. I was told it is a Birch Tree…Some birches get to be 40 to 50 feet tall, Probably has a nice root system.. Look out foundation!!! Just my thoughts!!! Have a good evening!

Jennie/Florida on July 12, 2012 at 8:58 pm
    • Didn't proof…..Some of us begged and pleaded with them to put in a stain glass window.

Jennie/Florida on July 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm
    • Jennie, I was here and watched the attempts to change their minds about the front wall. The basic design of that house is a full cape and it needs something in the wall. The birch trees will soon grow to where they don't really breakup the blank space, that is why I suggested a holly which can, as a full bush get to be 25 or 30 feet tall. I do like the idea of a stained glass window and have a daughter-in-law who could make it. Structurally it would not be difficult to frame in a window. We have the pictures of what they did to guide us. I think that a nice nautical scene would be good recalling the history of Waldoboro as a shipbuilding town. Oh well dreams are fun and we will all have to go looking for Kitty's money tree.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 12:23 am
    • Shhhhhhh…..it's supposed to be a secret money tree, Frank! hehehehe!!!xD;):p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 13, 2012 at 10:30 am
    • Been there, done that way too many times. Well I was confused about your travel dates.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 11:33 am
    • No problem. I WISH we were leaving today! I'd be In "vamos" mode since yesterday!!!xD:p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 13, 2012 at 11:46 am
    • Sorry. :-( (

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm
    • I though people would enjoy looking at these for that empty space at the center of the home in Maine? http://www.easternplant.com/inventory.asp?categor

Hawkweed on July 14, 2012 at 10:49 pm
    • I also like these for that spot at the center of the house were the front door was. http://www.lilacsforever.com/

Hawkweed on July 14, 2012 at 10:53 pm
    • Hawkweed – Great Idea! My Grandmother had Lilacs in her yard so it would bring back special memories.. They do provide lots of color and fragrance in the spring. Grandma had the old fashioned kind should have been cut back each year. When she got older she let them go and they took over and became quite large. I decided to help her and cut them back a bit. That was the year I learned that poison ivy/oak can grow into thick hairy vines! I thought they were weeds and ended up with the worst case the local Doctor had ever seen ! UGH! :( Come to think of it — the dark light or purple blooms would look quite nice with the stained glass window that I have! :) Would love to win and be able to grow and display both! AHH dreams! Have a good day! Truly, Lilly

lilly on July 15, 2012 at 1:35 pm
    • Thank you hawk. Now all one of us has to do is be lucky enough to win the sweepstakes.

YankeeNuke on July 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm