Jul 10

Take a Behind-the-Scenes Look

Blog Cabin Behind the Scenes Photos

Blog Cabin’s talented crew of home improvement experts takes pride in their work. And they also know how let loose and have a little (a lot of) fun on the set. Photographer Frank Murray captured some classic moments from the filming of this year’s episodes. Take a peek at the adorable pictures and post your thoughts below. Got a fave? Tell us why.

• Posted at 4:22 pm on July 7, 2012

1. Loved the doggie kisses picture, it's my favorite. I'm liking the kitchen, am very impressed how Victoria managed to make the stainless backsplash work in that room, I had my doubts, but she sealed the deal.
    Also took note of the various plaid shirts worn by the crew proudly worn, just as we did at our virtual barn party.

AnneEliseSouth on July 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm
    • LOL…let's make that plaid shirts and rain slickers….

LLColeman on July 11, 2012 at 2:42 am
    • Loved the rain hat, reminds me of the statue of the fisherman in Glouscester Ma., and now I'm craving fish sticks LOL.

AnneEliseSouth on July 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm
    • AnneElise–my exact same thoughts–if the hat & rain slicker had been yellow, we could have sent Chris over to Glouscester and told the Fisherman–"move over–Gorton's has a new kid in town !!"

LLColeman on July 13, 2012 at 2:28 am
  2. Mary; Thank you for the new pictures of the "hard at work" crew as well as some of the cabin interior. These will give us fuel for discussion for a bit. Thanks again for keeping us entertained. Picture 22 is the best, seems like the puppy is communicating with Victoria something about how crazy those other people act when the cameras are around.

YankeeNuke on July 10, 2012 at 7:35 pm
  3. It looks as though the driveway to the barn might have been paved. I guess that will be the designated parking spot for the winner's vehicle? Looks like the front door is hinged on the left, not the right as shown in the floor plan. How many other changes have been made?

YankeeNuke on July 10, 2012 at 7:36 pm
    • Hi Frank, where did you see the front door in these photos????

Jennie/Florida on July 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm
    • Picture # 7 you can see the open door and the hinge plates on the far side of the jamb. However, pictures a <a href="http://thttp://www.yourespecialtoo.com/HouseInWaldoboro/DSCF0030.JPG” target=”_blank”>thttp://www.yourespecialtoo.com/HouseInWaldoboro/DSCF0030.JPG indicate right hinged. Could be that in the picture #7 that the door was off the hinges, set just inside the jams, getting ready to paint, since it is in primer in that picture and in final color in the pic on the yourspecialtoo site. When I blow up pic #7 it looks like it could be patches of light coming thru, not brass hinges, but the light is spaced almost perfect. Only a visit to the site will tell for sure. The door could have been re-hung as well. It looks like the final was right hinged.

YankeeNuke on July 11, 2012 at 8:04 pm
    • Yes, the driveway in front of the barn is paved well and is the designated parking place for cars, tractors etc for the house. There's plenty of room there for sure but no parking inside the barn as the floor can't support the weight.

There was a lot of disciussion early about the poor logistics of having to cross the road to get to the car but despite blogger pleas and there being plenty of room to the side of the house there is no prepared parking place on that side of the road that we know of. :(

Ally on July 11, 2012 at 5:45 pm
    • I guess my original post was a backhanded way of letting DIY know that we were still watching and that we really wanted something on the house side of the road at least to load and unload the car(s). This is also not a very AWDA friendly set-up. You have confirmed my fears that our earlier comments about the parking were not taken to heart by DIY. I guess that we can't look a potential gift horse in the mouth. If Sasquatch likes the barn then it can have a nice place to hang out.

YankeeNuke on July 11, 2012 at 8:09 pm
    • Unfortunately, this issue hasn't been put to rest in my mind, because there are necessities such as unloading a vehicle that has elderly, children, handicapped and even groceries, which logistically must be done near the front door! It is not going to go away. I'll have a better idea after I see the area in the next couple weeks and chime in. Nothing wrong with being young– but if you notice who the architectural designers and decision makers are and think about it, they are mostly younger, newer to life's experiences and don't have a clue about the challenges ahead with aging, illnesses, etc. They just haven't been there yet. Therefore, the fractured planning.=/o.0 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 11, 2012 at 11:09 pm
    • Kitty I think that you hit the nail on the head with your analysis, youth is wasted on the young. They are brilliant and edgy and talented, but they lack experience and as you say they haven't lived it yet. I guess one of the winner's first tasks will be to build a "landing spot" on the house side of the road on the kitchen end, since groceries will be the most frequent thing brought into the house. My vision included a carport or garage as well as a covered walk to the house, since the weather there is likely to make evan simple chores, like walking to and from the car, outside more involved. Based on Google Maps , the location of the house on the lot should make it relatively easy to put some form of car park spot/structure on the Kitchen end of the house. Have you looked at the pictures on site that has been posted a couple of times. much better pictures and no TV personalities to get in the way of clear shots of the exterior of the house. Hope that you have a safe, satisfying trip. Be safe. http://www.yourespecialtoo.com/HouseInWaldoboroME

YankeeNuke on July 11, 2012 at 11:59 pm
    • I'll be checking that area out real carefully for the Blog when I go there…. Of course I'll report back–hehehe. I think one of the 1st things I would do would be to have a structural expert check the barn floor base to see what it would take to shore it up properly, so cars could be parked inside as compared to building a carport or garage. I would still lay out a pull-in parking area near the front, then weigh my options.B):):o

Thanks so much for your well wishes for my trip, Frank! One more week and I'm there!;):p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm
    • Just wanted to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your photos it is so nice to see the house and landscape without all the people and equipment. I truly appreciate your efforts. :D :D

heaven-bound23 on July 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm
    • I think that the issue is not just that there is work that needs to be done on the barn, but the expense. Again, without the structural integrity report that identified the floor as not strong enough to support a car, it is difficult to do more than speculate how much rehab would be needed to make it fully functional. The roof has already been patched so it is within 4-5 years max of needing full replacement and even without going to a metal roof it would be and expensive project. Then there is the water and electric issues. Finally, many of us blogging here are not spring chickens so having to cross the road to bring in things like groceries would get tedious on a nice day. Also, some of us have to deal with handicaps which make it much more difficult having the car on the other side of the road. Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to his car! Therefore, it would be high on my list, were I to win, to have parking and a garage like structure on the house side of the road, relatively close to a door. The final aspect is the initial expense of income taxes and any sales taxes that might paid as well as the annual property taxes. Donating the barn might help to mitigate the income taxes. Not having the barn and acreage on the other side of the road would decrease the property taxes by some amount. I am fairly certain that if the property was being actively farmed, even in a share crop arrangement, that would get it classified as a farm and not full residential, putting another decrease on the annual property taxes. A functional barn would be nice, but not without a money tree.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 1:54 pm
    • Not my pictures. Ken Day is the credited photographer and he did a pretty good job of capturing the cabin as it no stands. Thanks go to Ken.

YankeeNuke on July 13, 2012 at 1:55 pm
    • I think you are so right Kitty and unless they are including one of those young pups in the deal to be there to unload and load from across the street LOL.. whoever wins will definitely need to address this issue because winter in Maine on top of the issues you brought up Kitty ( elderly, handicapped etc.) just is not conducive to having the driveway across the road!!!

heaven-bound23 on July 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    • Frank, thanks for the birthday wish.:D

MaryPA on July 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm
  4. OK who googled Nathan Nicholls the "recycle sculptor" ?
    Very Talented Artist ! Can't wait to see any, and all of his work at the Maine cabin http://recyclesculptor.com/gallery/main.php

Mel on July 10, 2012 at 8:23 pm
    • Mell, thanks, he does some awsome work.

vicki_in_Utah on July 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm
    • Greetings Fellow HAPPY Bloggers! Love the new photos! We have not had a lot of rain so the "flowers" would have been a beautiful addition to my yard/deck this year! Can't wait to see the towel bar –Would love to know the secret for hanging a towel bar that won't meet up with a STUD. NO!! Not Matt or Chris! :) In the drywall guys and gals! Hee Hee! Right now I have a towel bar that has one end in a stud and the other pulling out the drywall which I… um… GLUED back to the wall ! :( I know all the DIYers are cringing right now so please let me know the secret answer! THANKS DIY GANG! Hanging in there!-Lilly

Lilly on July 11, 2012 at 12:16 am
    • Ooooo—his work is GREAT ! I am glad they found him–a treasure for sure !

LLColeman on July 11, 2012 at 3:06 am
    • Nathan and his work are quite easy to find, he's on Route 32 as you go from Route 1 to Dutch Neck Road.
      It's quite an interesting place to wander around his variety of sculptures.

Camac on July 12, 2012 at 1:03 am
    • Good to know, Camac !

LLColeman on July 12, 2012 at 1:56 am
    • I checked Nicholls out last eve and it was like, wow! I could think of places to use his work in my yard–then I remember, I'm supposed to be DOWNSIZING…Kitty!!! o.0:*<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm
  5. Chris is hilarious–#2, 6, 19 and 29.

RitaANewYorker on July 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm
  6. Love the linear aspects of pic #14… the "wish -it-was-me" lovely, uncomplicated feel of #21 and who could resist the sneak peek of the kitchen in #29!

MarleneD on July 10, 2012 at 9:20 pm
    • Marlene #14 caught my eye as well.
      I like the notation on the photo of the precision drill team..
      ALMOST – Like the Silent Drill Platoon – OOH RAH!! :P HI GRUNDY!!! – Poke in the belly – - Kidding! :) I know from the bio you are former ARMY! Please don't take the old pooper scooper after me! — IF that is how that paddle functioned in the good old days.. Happy Day ALL Day1 Truly Lilly

Lilly on July 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm
  7. Hahahahahaha they make everything look like a fun thing,that's my thinkin. We had to brace a floor from the under side aka the basement I should of filmed it, omg I bite my tongue. I never had shop n I can do anything n it got done. Hahahahahahahaha, Love you guy's . We'll be puttting in the windows on saturday please everyone start praying !
    It's my birthday tomorrow yippee xD
    mud bog Hahahahaha!!

MaryPA on July 10, 2012 at 10:37 pm
    • HEY, MARY PA—Happy Birthday !! Good luck w/ the window installation, too……<3

LLColeman on July 11, 2012 at 2:45 am
    • Thanks LLColemanxD
      I'll keep you posted on this job it should be worth a million bucks. I should secretly film it, n put it on u tube lol xD
      I can't wait for the Aug. reveal.

MaryPA on July 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm
    • "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to YOU.. MARY, I hope your day is filled with family and friends to help you celebrate your special day!!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 11, 2012 at 9:33 am
    • Thanks Jennie, We did yippee!;)xD

MaryPA on July 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm
    • Happy Birthday, hope that this is your lucky year.

YankeeNuke on July 11, 2012 at 12:51 pm
    • :D MaryPA –Happy Birthday to You! May this year and beyond bring you wonderful blessings, joy and restoration. I know last year was especially difficult, but this is a time of refreshing –a new beginning–and I pray, of blessings so special that your heart will overflow with joy! Peace, Health and Love on your Birthday and Always!!!xD:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm
    • Hi Kitty n thanks, I'm always thinkin positive even in negative situation.xD :* ;) Mary

MaryPA on July 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm
    • Your wonderfully infectious positive attitude is a gift from God and I noticed it soon after joining this BC Blog. Thank you for being an inspiration in my own life, MaryPA! Bless you!xD^_^<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm
  8. After I checked the pics they all made me laugh.
    8 the FOUR MAN UMBRELLA Goooooo.
    26 Chris come on, we have to eat where r u dang fish hiding,kfc tonight;)
    22 hmmmm a new dog Baker, I didn't do it, just because I'm younger:p
    29 V Come on how long does it take to put things up there(Sorrry) I have to go to the potty:*<3

MaryPA on July 10, 2012 at 11:23 pm
  9. They have lawn mowers like that, that has a snow blower attachment (double duty machine) A Perfect, Great and wonderful house warming gift for the winner? Hmmmm, I think so!

11241224 on July 11, 2012 at 1:04 am
    • I hope so for the winners sake!!!

asandmancan on July 12, 2012 at 3:26 pm
  10. Chris has a face made for the cameras, and his expressions are tooo much ! So hilarious….. I get the feeling they all had good times on this project, in spite of mud and rain…
    ..Always love seeing photos of Victoria and those hard-working dogs..(.it's lots of work looking so cool and gorgeous as only a Great Dane can )
    . Josh may have thought the shovel might come in handy as a spanking device,lol. This year, Josh could not tease Grundy about his hair or carrying a hairbrush, but I see he got in some jokes by measuring Chris's bicep. Those crazy boys..
    .Ladies, how many of you secretly wish Matty Blah Blah would be an additional perk, as the man who comes to mow down that pesky long grass? LOL.. .;) He might as well help with the outdoor fireplace too and lay the kindling.( His poor wife has to put up with all these comments–but she is a good sport, lol)

LLColeman on July 11, 2012 at 2:59 am
    • Chris is such an animated character in general. He has attitude as well as the ability to contort his face into expressions almost as good as Jonathan Winters. He is too expressive and fun to watch, never any doubt about his thoughts.

YankeeNuke on July 11, 2012 at 12:54 pm
    • lol!!! Now that would be a great perk.xD :D <3

MaryPA on July 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm
    • Hi LL Coleman,
      The windows insulation went smoothly. I couldn't believe it myself. Thanks to all the knowledge from the DIY network. The only crazy thing was that spray foam, omg, yep it kept on growing and growing they don't say a tiny bite goes a long way.;) xD ^_^ It was so humid, too. I was wiped out after two windows,hahahahaha gettin old!! o.0 :o

MaryPA on July 16, 2012 at 8:27 pm