Jul 2

The Blog Cabin Buzz

The bees are buzzing and so are we — about the soon-to-launch virtual home tour. I hope you enjoy this latest cinemagraph from visual designer Jason Kisner. We may have more sneak peeks in the days and weeks to come.

• Posted at 4:28 pm on July 7, 2012

1. More teasing I knew girls like this back in junior high and high school. Tease, tease, tease used to keep us boys interested and in our places. We were trained early. Can't wait to see the next "hints" at all the wonderful things that the BC team has done to take the old bones and renew and dress them up. So far everything that we've been shown has been pretty spectacular. Thanks folks.

YankeeNuke on July 3, 2012 at 12:06 am
  2. The file name on the pretty brass piece is "diy_bc12-knocker.jpg" , however I am not sure how they positioned the door to take the picture and get a multiple window in it, unless they flipped it left to right when they posted it.

YankeeNuke on July 3, 2012 at 12:23 am
    • YankeeNuke, I'm thinkin the door was opened and the windows from the house got in the way.;) You know, it's like taking a pic and everyone jumps in.lol This blog cabin is so sweet and I'm thinking the bees think the same. :) Oh I can't wait for the Aug show!!!!

MaryPA on July 5, 2012 at 12:05 pm
    • Well that was what I thought at first, but the door opens inward and the position of the knocker says that the door would be hinged on the left side. The floor plans show the door as right hinged, so I am still scratching my head.Can't wait to see the tour. maybe Mary will take pity on us and talk about the pics or show us the whole picture. have a great day.YankeeNuke aka Frank

YankeeNuke on July 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    • Hi Frank, I think the mystery has been solved!!!! Did you read Kittys and my thoughts on the Door Pic under my post below? Please read it and tell me what you think!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm
    • The door has to open inward because of its location on the jamb or frame. If it was hinged on the right, as shown in the plans, then the reflection would be possible. The only problem with that is the angle of the door knocker says to me that the door is hinged on the left inside and when open would not reflect the windows. If the door was hinged on the right and open and the person stood directly in front of the door or if the door was hinged on the right and closed and the person taking the picture stood toward the street then the door window would also reflect the double window. However, the door knocker angle would be opposite of the way it is shown in the posted picture, unless it was flipped for posting. Something in the overall information that we have is inconsistent. The only person who we have any contact with who can address this issue is Mary at DIY.Yankeenuke aka Frank

YankeeNuke on July 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm
    • Dear Frank,
      Ok, here's the thing: you are correct that the door is hinged on the right side as you face it from the outside, looking in. There are two technical visual issues that have converged in this interesting photograph. If we dissect the photo, from an artistic/ design perspective, there are going to be 2 very close, but split visual vanishing points. I could draw them out on paper for you–but impractical virtually for this Blog medium. Yes, the Door knocker appears to be a bit more angled straight forward–but no, the door is still hinged on the right. What throws the "double window" perception off (and it's the left ,farther 2 sides of that 3 division kitchen window we are seeing, by the way). This confirms the very fact that the reflection of that window at 45 degrees has its own vanishing point, in technical design terms! The 2 vanishing points are slightly off from each other. You correctly mentioned sometime earlier that something's really inconsistent! The reflection is actually "looking one way" and the door and knocker are facing ever slightly, another. But that's OK. If the door got moved again, we'd be dealing with an entirely new set of vanishing points to confuse either us or the camera. It is going to appear inconsistent because the reflection is not a direct 180 degree across from the door, but only 45.;)B) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm
    • …but not even exactly 45 degrees, 'cause the front door is partially open, but I haven't been able to estimate how many degrees open it is!:S:| Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 5, 2012 at 6:44 pm
    • Kitty; I agree that the door is open and have resolved the way the knocker is facing by assuming the the camera was possibly inside the house to take the picture. For the reflection to work the angle of incidence of the light being reflected from the windows is equal to the angle of reflection. The door angle plus the camera angle relative to the door had to be such that it satisfied the above criteria. You are right that would be so much easier if could put a drawing in the blog. Hope that all is well in your world.o.0

YankeeNuke on July 7, 2012 at 2:48 pm
    • If only solving problems in the real world were as simple,huh? Same, back at ya, Frank! Have a good weekend!;):D Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm
    • Hi Frank……what do you mean the position of the door knocker says the door would be hinged on the left side….I don't see that…..If you look at the Pic of the full front door, you can see the door knob is on the left side of the door. About the floor plans, they have made many changes on the floor plans since they started the reno!
      Have a good evening…..Had a beautiful day today, but very hot.. No rain so far, but it's clouding up…

Jennie/Florida on July 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm
    • What I meant was the angle of the door knocker in the picture with respect to the door. It appears that the knocker is pointed toward the street, as it would if the door was hinged on the left. Perhaps Kitty is right my perception is confused by two converging lines of perspective.YankeeNuke

YankeeNuke on July 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm
    • Frank if you were standing directly in front of the door, the knocker wouldn't be pointing toward the street. The pic is at an angle because the door is opened at an angle to get the windows….

Jennie/Florida on July 5, 2012 at 10:15 pm
    • See my reply to Kitty, I think that the door was open pretty far and the camera was inside the house to take the picture. That makes the angles roughly correct. Hope that you guys aren't getting drowned by the PM sea breeze storms today. I think that we will be dry.

YankeeNuke on July 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm
    • You are all making this too complicated- think mirror- the glass panel in the right hand side of the door is reflecting the windows on the street side of the kitchen.

Camac on July 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm
  3. Thanks, Jason, your photos are the " bees' knees", lol. Thanks for the post, Mary.
    I love the close-up of the door knocker…months ago, it was part of discussions re choices for door knockers. Many bloggers then expressed fondness for the character and workmanship of this one, and one blogger commented that the man's face resembled "Briscoe Darling", a character on the old Andy Griffith show. (Played by Denver Pyle, who had long hair and a mustache like the door knocker figure)….in fact we referred to the knocker as "Briscoe", lol. It's nice to see "him" ready for his close-up! ;)

LLColeman on July 3, 2012 at 2:48 am
    • LL Coleman — so sad to read that Andy Griffith died this morning! Great show – watched it often as a child.. As friends and family knock and enter the Blog Cabin may they have many fond memories to cherish and maybe a thought of Briscoe Darling & Andy Griffith as well

Lilly on July 3, 2012 at 11:17 am
    • Perhaps the winner will acquire a picture of Andy and hang it in the house.

YankeeNuke on July 3, 2012 at 1:49 pm
    • Yes–Mayberry is in mourning…. I loved the musical episodes best, when Andy got out his guitar, and most of all, the bluegrass numbers with those ace musicians !

LLColeman on July 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Andy, that WAS "some kind of Fine " music………..<3 <3 ;)

LLColeman on July 3, 2012 at 5:32 pm
    • LLColeman how timely your post.
      How SAD to hear Andy Griffith passed away today.
      This link, and the look Andy has on his face as the message of this song touches his soul–
      Sadly for all of us—There Is A Time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQtXEb7C30o&fe

Mel on July 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm
    • Yes, that was beautiful.

LLColeman on July 5, 2012 at 3:01 am
    • Hi LLColeman, Stayin in doors it's so hot, but it's better then that rain, last year. ;) How have you been? Hope your enjoying the 4th. Our Akita- not- poor things a nervous nillie shakin in her boots. It sounds like a war zone outside.
      The passing of Andy is sooooo sad:'( still enjoy watching the reruns,he'll be forever young.
      This blog cabin going to have some interesting features from these sneak peeks , can't wait . Oh they had a little clip in the newspaper stating lobsters only 3.99-4.99lb. at DOCK'S in Portland yummy it's a 5 hr. drive from here. xD

MaryPA on July 4, 2012 at 9:55 pm
    • My brother had an Akita–they are always dressed for snowy northern Japan and the heat is no fun ! Add to that the fireworks noise..my Boston Terrier is not enjoying the noise outside either… i hope his heart can stand it ! Good hearing from you –I remember what you went through with last year's floods.

LLColeman on July 5, 2012 at 3:05 am
    • So sad to hear about Andy Griffith passing. The Andy Griffith Show was my Mom's favorite show on TV and she never missed one….He was down to earth, was multi talented and He will truly be missed!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm
  4. Floors are wonderful idea!

grswla on July 3, 2012 at 7:46 am
  5. Good Morning to all…..Question….looking at the photo above with the door knocker, where did the double windows come from??? The wall to the right of the door doesn't have windows…what's up with that???
    Does anyone see what I asking????

Jennie/Florida on July 3, 2012 at 9:56 am
    • Did you see my comment. They either took the picture through the door partially open and then flipped it to confuse us when they printed it or they have magic lenses on their cameras. I guess a third choice, though less likely, would be photoshop. I am still scratching my head.

YankeeNuke on July 3, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    • I think the door is partially opened, and the right glass pane is picking up the FRONT double windows, which are at a 45 degree to the door, and under the cute mini pergola. It's the light, timing and reflection that make this photo a masterpiece! Bravo Mary !!! B):*xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 4, 2012 at 11:48 am
    • OK… Kitty and YankeeNuke, this Door Pic has really got me puzzled ….This is what I see.
      1) Looking at the front door, you see the knocker in the middle of the door between the 2 glass panels
      2) The door handle is down on the left side of the door
      3) That means the door opens on the leftside out toward the street
      4) So with that being said, the only reflection you would get, when you open the door is a reflection of the wall on the right side of the door which is green
      That is what I see…. So I would like your thoughts again…this is head scratching to me too Y/N and I have long nails….OUCH!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 4, 2012 at 5:23 pm
    • Thumbs up for asking a good question! My theory still stands, in my own skewed logistics. I believe the front door opens inward towards the right (if one is standing on the granite step), with the knob, lock and such being on the left side of the dual glass arches–and our beautiful antique, original doorknocker in the middle, where he rightfully belonged all along!!! :)

With the door opened partially into the foyer/mudroom, try to picture a carefully framed camera shot of a reflected portion that includes 2 parts of the 3-part front window that faces the street directly and is at a 45 degree angle to the front door. If I stand a certain way and turn myself into a mirrored pretzel, I can see how this reflection can occur. It is so simple, it is hard to picture!o.0:S OK, OK you can laugh at me–but I really believe this is how it works! And Mary did some good steady camera work to frame just 2 parts of the 3-part window reflection just perfectly so, on one of the glass arches–just to confuse matters more! If I missed this one, it's because I've been staring at those cinemagraph bees so long, my eyes are buzzing circles in their sockets and I haven't figured out how to stop them yet…o.0:p

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 4, 2012 at 10:20 pm
    • Please, Jennie, be gentle to yourself with those nails!<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 4, 2012 at 10:22 pm
    • Good morning Kitty….By George I think you got it!…I was thinking the door opened out, but if the door is opening inward that would make more sense as to how the pic caught the reflection of the kitchen window…I didn't think of the door opening in, I just took it for granite the door opened out…DUH
      Problem solved, I feel so much better now…and my brain can rest for a while, what little is left……Thank you Kitty……I hope you have good weather today and especially tomorrow for your fishing trip….Be careful and have fun with your family…Catch a lot of fish, lobster or whatever you're fishing for…. Have fun!

Jennie/Florida on July 5, 2012 at 8:55 am
    • anything I can catch that is edible–which means NOT fishy-tasting! Well, the trip is up in the air, for the boat captain suffered heat stroke earlier this week and we don't want him to rush back to the Sally T too soon, so we're waiting his final decision…. Its supposed to hit over 100 tomorrow, so I'd just as soon stay in my AC home and rest my really sore cervical collar area from traction this week–ouch!

Now about that front door…my heels are dug in, Frank! :D One can do remarkable acrobatics with a camera eye to keep it out of the frame shot–so can the smart photographer….;)B):*:p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm
    • Oh my, I hope your Captain is OK…You all have been dealing with very unusual heat waves, I'm not surprised, the Captain is probably out there every day. If the weather is going to be that hot tomorrow, it would be smart for him not to chance it..Heatstrokes are should not be taken lightly. Maybe next week the weather will be back to normal…

Now about the door…I'm picturing me standing on the slab at the front door and the handle is on the leftside, so that means the hinges are on the rightside. So with the sun shining on the windows and I open that door inward at an angle, the windows from the kitchen are going to reflect in that glass panel on the door …
      I thought all that was figured out from our posts above…I was happy to know the door opened inward and thats how the photographer caught that shot..you see the kitchen window's reflecting in the panel of the door….Right? Right! Case closed!!!

Jennie/Florida on July 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm
    • Heat strokes should not be taken lightly!

Jennie/Florida on July 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm
    • You're absolutely right, Jennie! For that reason, We cancelled our fishing trip/ rather postponed it. Maybe in August. Our trip to Maine is approaching–hooray–and I can hardly wait or think of anything else right now! :D Have a great evening, Jennie!;)^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm
    • I like traveling except for the packing part. Wish that I could wiggle my nose, a big job, and have the packing finished. Hope that your trip is uneventful and fun.

YankeeNuke on July 7, 2012 at 2:54 pm
    • Thank you, Frank! Not too worried about packing but I HATE to unpack! In fact, once I get up to Maine, it takes everything within me to undig my heels out of those granite ledges and leave. I never want to leave! I mean, I love Virginia and am grateful for my home and I love that I have family here in VA nearby, but there's something in the air I breathe in Maine….It is such a special place, I think! It will be nice to get up there and relax with a good book and do nothin' but be thankful for the opportunity God gave to watch and hear the surf at Pemaquid Point Light and eat fresh lobster till I'm ready for MORE!:pB):p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 7, 2012 at 7:37 pm
    • Actually, the door opens "in" rather than out. The windows you see are a a reflection of the double windows on the front (west side) of the kitchen reflected in the right hand door window panel.

Camac on July 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm
  6. Waiting for the virtual tour……Not to patiently.

Nebraska on July 3, 2012 at 9:57 am
    • Yeah…. Nebraska, so glad to see you. We were worried about you, knowing how hot it has been in your area.. Your last post read that it was 104 one day and 96 the next day….Are you OK? Have you had any rain at all?? Vick in Utah is still without rain and the state is parched!
      This Month is going to drag by just waiting for August 13th and the virtual tour also entering to win the BC!
      Please let us know how your doing…..Take care!

Jennie/Florida on July 3, 2012 at 11:25 am
    • Been very busy (College World Series and Olympic Swim Trials [yes I saw Micheal Phelps swim]) and some new health issues. Not online much.

Nebraska on July 3, 2012 at 11:48 am
    • glad we heard from you–great you got to see mr. Phelps and swimming trials…. take care of yourself.

LLColeman on July 3, 2012 at 5:38 pm
    • Hi Nebraska! Good to have you join in–know you've been sweltering in your Great State. Very sorry to hear that there have been more health issues–but I so understand! I've begun traction daily w/ Saunders equipment for cervical radiculopathy–I think it's making things hurt worse. Rheumatologist, Neurologist and Neurosurgeon say area affected is inoperable for me. So this is next choice. Hang in there, Charlotte! I care about you!:)^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 4, 2012 at 11:38 am
    • Waiting for results of Multiple Sclerosis testing done yesterday. Bad enough with neck injury and back dysfunction to find maybe more problems. Considering the issues I am also having with titanium plates in my neck you may be glad they won't do surgery.

Nebraska on July 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm
    • Well, I hope and pray that you are not facing MS, Charlotte!!! You know, however, as a health professional, there are many types of manifestations and coping methods. My heart and support are with you, sincerely!!! ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm
  7. Well Mary, you did it again…you framed more of the very special features of this Blog Cabin…As I comb through the photos of my before and afters, as well as the during production, I continue to be amazed with this home…How it began, how it evolved and how it came to "Be"…The bloggers are going to be equally amazed with "Blog Cabin Maine" as the shows begin to air…It was an honor for me to work with such a crew and become a part of this homes History…till we meet again, Victoria Lesser

Victoria Lesser on July 3, 2012 at 10:03 am
    • Hi Victoria, Guessing things are winding down. What will the next project be, thinkin the list must be a mile long by now. Thank you for your beautiful work you did with the Blog Cabin.;) <3 xD I can't wait!!! !;)

MaryPA on July 3, 2012 at 10:38 am
    • Things are actually winding up as I'm back @ The Old North Branch Inn…summer is here and the guests are arriving…have a great one….V

Victoria Lesser on July 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm
    • Hi Victoria, I loved that photo of you with your two danes. Check out Great Dane Rescue, Inc. on Facebook if you get a chance. Eli is my current foster dog (we may have to adopt him, he's so sweet). We've also gotten some beautiful harlequins into rescue recently. Can't wait for the big reveal of the Blog Cabin. This looks like the best one yet!

SweetLiz on July 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm
    • good hearing from you–good luck w/ the summer guests at your beautiful inn……we are devoted Victoria Lesser fans here !

LLColeman on July 3, 2012 at 5:40 pm
    • Thanks for stopping by Victoria. I can hardly wait 'til Aug 13th, and the BC shows beginning!

On a seperate note, I would love to see more of your design/decor suggestions on Pinterest! I know you are busy, busy! Like those bumblebees!
      Just a selfish blogger here wanting access to more of your work, and great ideas for repurposing :)

Mel on July 3, 2012 at 6:39 pm
    • Hi Victoria,
      How are the darling doggies Baxter, Rudy,&Roxie. With the 4th our Akita is panic stricken! Enjoy! Hope you had a great day. xD

MaryPA on July 4, 2012 at 9:31 pm
    • I must say this house and its property are stunning! The pictures are incredible. However, I do feel that there are a few problems with this house. It is sad the powder room went away; but I figured that was part of the cost of having to replace the floor. (Trade offs you know). Then there is the fact that there is abosolutely no storage for anything in the second story bathroom. That could be a problem! Also what is up with the partial tiling going on through out this house? To me, that gives it an unfinished quality. I especially have issue with that utility room and I can't figure out why. Otherwise the house is fabulous! I love the kitchen, the masterbath, the foyer, the media room with game room and definitely the guest bedroom. I am even a little partial to the living room, master bedroom and kids room. I have minor issues with the dining room and office but otherwise I like them too. All of the outdoor spaces are wonderful but I worry about that tub outside during winter. I love that barn and I am so glad it was cleaned up but left au naturel. Also it is sad the interactive floor plan went away too.

cprevatte on August 18, 2012 at 3:42 pm
  8. Tx Mary, That door pull is gorgeous. :D

MaryPA on July 3, 2012 at 10:27 am
    • hope you have been ok with all the heat, MaryPA…<3

LLColeman on July 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm
  9. WOW!!! I noticed those bees, they are termites with wings, hahahaha . We had a problem with those little beasts :o
    They bored holes everywhere wood was exposed. The exterminator put an end to that problem. Patched the holes, just like new again!!:)

MaryPA on July 3, 2012 at 11:01 am
    • The problem bees are carpenter bees, I don't know if they also swarm flowers or not.

YankeeNuke on July 3, 2012 at 12:20 pm
    • A word or two on carpenter bees.

When they do visit flowers, they only accomplish very little pollination.

Hawkweed on July 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm
    • Thanks for the confirmation that carpenter bees are destructive and do not normally assist plants with sexual reproduction, like the honey bees do.

YankeeNuke on July 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm