Jun 12

Cabin Comforts Comes to a Close

Thank you all for participating in our housewarming gifts vote and entering for a chance to win a gift collection identical to the one we plan to shower upon the winner of this year’s amazing vacation getaway.

This phase of our Blog Cabin 2012 project is over, but stay tuned for the virtual home tour and the airing of the 2012 episodes and special. Keep checking our What’s New page for details.

I share a special treat on this day: A photo of Chris Grundy on his last day at Blog Cabin 2012.  I bet you can’t guess where that mirror ended up.

Chris Grundy at Blog Cabin 2012

• Posted at 5:12 pm on June 6, 2012

1. A little off the mirror lined path, but a few questions. Last year's milage rate in Waldoboro was 13.10 how is the home value calculated that is used to calculate property taxes? Given the remote, hilly area that the house is in what options are available for TV (Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC) and internet access? What is the most popular mobile phone carrier, based on signal availability? What are the Volunteer opportunities in the immediate area? Thank you for your responses.

YankeeNuke on June 17, 2012 at 1:15 pm
    • Hi YankeeNuke, I'm sure Camac or other locals in the neighborhood could answer all those questions for you. Maybe they will chime in and respond….

Jennie/Florida on June 17, 2012 at 3:33 pm
    • Thank you for the idea.

YankeeNuke on June 18, 2012 at 6:33 pm
    • There is a Lions Club in Waldoboro and the conservation group probably needs volunteers. Nursing facilities and childrens homes ALWAYS need volunteers.

Nebraska on June 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm
    • Thank you for the info.

YankeeNuke on June 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm
    • Regarding the property taxes, right now I'm not prepared to do the research. Go to the Waldoboro Town Website and check into the Assessor's office . He assesses the homes regularly checking for improvements , etc. Right now there is a great deal on the market and very little is selling. The area really isn't that remote and compared to inland not too hilly. My cabin is almost a half mile from Dutch Neck Road so I chose Dish Network for TV (Satellite) but the dish needs a large clear area facing southwest since it's almost a horizontal facing. Others use cable, direct TV, etc. I use Verizon Wireless because it's what I had in VA (I haven't even changed the number). I don't have the best coverage at home and there are a few dead spots but it works most places. There's a cellular store in Waldoboro and right now I can't think of the name of the carrier- I'm sure you can get the information on-line. Fairpoint, our land line phone service, made high speed internet available on Dutch Neck this past year and it seems to work well. Others, who live closer to the road, have other providers such as Midcoast Internet Solutions. Towers have recently been installed in the area that has made wireless internet available in more places. Volunteering, depends on what you want to volunteer for- there are those that help at their church, some who like lighthouses, the Historical Society, and lots of elderly who would love visits and assistance.

Camac on June 19, 2012 at 12:52 am
    • Blog Cabin already has satellite tv (dish is out in back of gas tanks; I don"t know what company it is.)Lots of people bundle tv, internet, and phone with Time-Warner Cable. Surprising they didn't do that since cable could go underground with the electric. Camac, have you seen anyone watering the plants?It's supposed to be hot tomorrow.

another neighbor on June 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm
    • Hi Another Neighbor, I was wondering about the plants too. The guy who was over there yesterday appeared to be doing some king of interior work and the work trailer that was there last night was gone when I went by a couple hours ago. I would think they would have made some kind of arrangements for watering things. Aren't there still a couple of unplanted shrubs under the tree? With the flowers already gone on the rhodies out front , it doesn't look quite as cheerful.

Camac on June 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm
    • Greetings fellow bloggers!
      Was wondering if anyone knew a bit of historical data with Blog Cabin Winners / DIY Sweepstakes — Question: Has a Homemaker / Volunteer ever won in the past?? Just wondering… Thanks in advance for the anyone who has the answer! Sure hoping to have a chance to win.. Truly Lilly

Lilly on June 19, 2012 at 11:21 am
  2. Thank you Windee! I thought it looked like a dogwood..

Jennie/Florida on June 18, 2012 at 8:35 am
  3. Yeah…We have a new Thread!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on June 18, 2012 at 9:58 am
  4. Hi Windee, you were right…. I looked up the Kousa Dogwood and it looks just like the tree in the photo that Ken took. Thank you for the info…

Jennie/Florida on June 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm
  5. I don't think he is etching it either. Correct assumption, no gloves etc.
    If you look at the webstagram picts, where the man is laying on the floor taking picts….you can see in the Master bedroom. There appears to be a megshift vanity straight ahead? Maybe the mirror is going there…Time will tell. :) Looking forward to seeing your pictures. from your trip! Hey….wanna borrow my hoodie so you will be incognito when you cruze the property?….Hope you had a nice day with your family. :) Windee :)

Windee:) on June 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm
  6. sound good go for it Chris

j in tenn on June 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm
  7. It looks like a Bathroom vanity mirror, But knowing him, he will make it more Antiquey to mach the old world appeal. Witch means he will want it some where that every one can see it's Aged Stile!!!

Gerald Sandlin on June 28, 2012 at 2:05 pm
  8. I Really appreciate this blog,its quite inspiring, the
    luxurious Pigeon Forge cabins are excellent.

HillPhillips on July 26, 2012 at 4:17 am
  9. this is the most beautiful and wonderful location of any blog cabin to date! Keep up excellent work DIY.

KENNETH LEE on July 31, 2012 at 3:04 pm