Jun 8

Blog Cabin 2012: Parting Thoughts

Blog Cabin 2012 Online Photo ShootOnline team, from left: Photographer Frank Murray, photographer Bruce Cole, special projects director Jeannine Shipp, special projects editor Mary Graff, visual designer Jason Kisner.

We wrapped the online photo shoot and departed Waldoboro yesterday, but not before squeaking in one last hearty diner breakfast, replete with blueberry pancakes, grilled muffins and breakfast sandwiches.

In thinking back on the events of the last few days, my mind returns to one story shared by interior decorator Victoria Lesser. When salvaging materials from the home and barn for use in remodeling projects, she couldn’t help but think of Macy’s flagship department store in New York’s Herald Square.
Every time she visits the store and rests her hand on the store’s old wooden escalator balustrade, she’s overwhelmed by memories of her grandma and shopping trips the two enjoyed. This relationship between material and memories, she adds, is the very reason why the design/build team saved as many parts and pieces of the original structure as they could. Celebrating and honoring the memory of generations of family members who called Blog Cabin home was top of mind for the entire crew. And, I am proud to say, the mission has been accomplished; everything from the dining table and master bed to the staircase, rebuilt with its original newel posts, has a unique story to tell.

The trip is over but I traveled home with plenty of my own fond memories. In my mind, even on the rainiest, grey day, Waldoboro shines.

• Posted at 4:35 pm on June 6, 2012

1. Dear gremol are you out there?? I know you haven't blogged for a while and I have missed you..I just saw on the weather channel that the gulf states and North West FLorida are flooding and some people are having to be rescued…Are you in the flooded area, I hope your on high ground, so if you can, would you please chime in to let us know you are OK.. We will be waiting to hear from you! Take care

Jennie/Florida on June 9, 2012 at 6:51 pm
    • Jennie, I hope she is ok, too. Gremol did blog on one of the HGTV sites last week or so, as I recall. We may be hearing from her soon on here now that the BC is finished.

LLColeman on June 10, 2012 at 3:14 am
    • Gremol? I've been missing hearing from you too! I know LLColeman caught you on another HGTV site, so you are, thankfully, OK. But I would love to hear from you when you can chime in! All the best always, your friend, Kitty <3

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 13, 2012 at 1:14 pm
    • Hi Kitty….I'm worried about gremol, she hasn't responded to let us know she is OK. LL said she saw gremols blog on one of HGTV sites "last week" or so, but the Floods just happened this past weekend. I don't know what part of Florida she lives, I think it's somewhere in the Pandhandle or North/ West coast of Florida and that's where the floods are….Over 21" of rain and has rained for days. Evacuations were needed and one person drowned. I just hope she and her family are on higher ground and the flood water didn't get to them…It's a terrible situation in those areas..
      Also I was thinking, where there's floods, there's Snakes!!! I hope we hear from her soon!!!!

Jennie/Florida on June 14, 2012 at 12:52 am
    • I'm worried for Gremol too, Jennie. I hope she simply has moved to a higher ground shelter and just doesn't have access to her computer. I've been through a deep water flood and snakes do get into the house I had a dead (whew!) moccasin in my kitchen chandelier! In FL there are other pests too that are larger, such as pythons and alligators Oh, please, if someone's seen Gremol's name pop up on another HGTV blog, PLEASE let her know we are concerned because of the high 21" rain table in the FL Panhandle!! God be with you and yours, Gremol! You're in our hearts and prayers!:o:|:$<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 14, 2012 at 11:55 am
  2. Mary, Thank You and your Crew for all your hard work getting the house in order, and making what we can see as Amazing!!! . Looking forward to the reveal and the start of putting in our entries to Win This" BEAUTIFUL HOME." Saying my Prayers and crossing all that can be crossed to be the Winner of the 2012 Blog Cabin. I have never Won anything before in my life, and this year I will be 50 Years Old on June 22, and this would be a beautiful Birthday Gift from you. May the Lord continue to bless you and all that you do.
    Karla Elliott.

Karla Elliott on June 9, 2012 at 6:56 pm
  3. Wonderful. Thank you. I really like that picture of the stone with the address on it. The picture with the flower garden on the the celler door side of the house are really beautful.

Hawkweed on June 10, 2012 at 12:04 am
    • you're welcome,

home_girl on June 10, 2012 at 12:25 am
  4. So awesome….relaxing and inviting!!!!

Stacey d. on June 10, 2012 at 12:21 am
  5. I have a feeling I 'd be agreeing with all your observations ! ( Can't believe they did not take the snowplow into account ) Thanks for venturing over there to share your thoughts with the blog.

LLColeman on June 10, 2012 at 3:18 am
    • I believed they tried, the rocks are a little ways away from the road. As long as the plows keep to the roads should be all right.

home_girl on June 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm
  6. Yikes ! Hopefully the eaves will be finished and some sort of rain gutter will be installed in back—scary. I hope the pine tree is not too close to the house.

LLColeman on June 10, 2012 at 3:22 am
    • Hard to believe they did not put down the ground landscape material or plastic under the deck covered with rocks to keep the weeds away. Would be a major problem.

I also hope they used the landscape material in all the planting beds in front of the house and throughout. Otherwise the weeds will take over within a couple years.

Jeff on June 11, 2012 at 9:19 am
    • I sure hope they put the old rain gutters back up if nothing else. Just to keep the rain from hitting the windows and dripping on you when you stand at the door.

home_girl on June 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm
  7. Thank you !! Great photos–and what a beautiful day !

LLColeman on June 10, 2012 at 3:29 am
  8. A Big Thank You to both Home_girl & Ken Day for sharing photos of the blog cabin :)

The very abbreviated pegola isn't at all what I expected! It looks like an abbreviated yet beautiful decoration, it doesn't look like the pergola we voted on. It does have a simple, understated elegance, still I was expecting a more traditional post and bracket styled pergola that would have covered the terrace. The repurposing of the well pump, the irregular flagstone walkway, the mailbox, the stacked stone ( in this setting so much better than interlocking) retaining walls, the stone step, and the use of large rocks throughout the landscape are all so casual and rustic-chic! All of the rustic landscape features look absolutely right to me in this beautifully tranquil setting, and Yes this stone lover finds them Very aesthetically pleasing!

Mel on June 10, 2012 at 8:00 am
    • The rocks that border the road are reminiscent of Maine's rocky coast. I'm so glad they used the bolders found on the property and incorporated them into the landscaping. I love the naturistic beauty of it. It rocks!!

Kenneth Day on June 10, 2012 at 10:19 am
    • Ken there are a few diehard rock/stone lovers on this blog–
      We, ( Yes me, I Love Stone :) beat the drum early for DiY to use irregular flagstone, fieldstone, cobblestone, bolders and build an outdoor stone fireplace.
      DIY came through with ALL of our stone requests, and this year the blog cabin has an outdoor stone fireplace–it is So beautiful !!
      None of us know who will win, whoever the lucky winner is, I do hope they love all the stone that was used–and think of us bloggers who asked for these materials over & over–LOL

Mel on June 10, 2012 at 10:59 am
    • If you love rocks then you would love my brothers place in Dresden a town on the other side of Wiscasset. He cleared a field and put stone walls up all over and used stones to make different land scrapes. It's on route 27 on the left near Dresden Mills village, he just finished a pretty rock garden at my mothers house next door.
      We had our family camping reunion there last year and what fun that was.

home_girl on June 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm
    • Home_girl I guarantee I Would Love your brothers place, it sounds lovely! Your brother sounds like one of my brothers, a Talented DiYer! I have helped him build rock retaining walls, and free standing walls, I absolutely love the look of stone construction. I also love hardscaping of any type, but flagstone ( some call it flagging) is my favorite.
      At looking around on your website you are an artistic, creative and talented person, it's interesting to me how many of us bloggers enjoy art, crafts and creating things!
      Thank You again So Much for Sharing those great pictures :)

Mel on June 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm
    • Off subject, but related to your picture of the massive rock walls built by your Brother in Dresden. Actually about Dresden. I need to get back in my research to get my memories real straight , but I think it was my 9X Great Grandfather, a Ship Captain and Clipper ship builder, born and raised in Bath, ME, Capt. David Clancey who moved to Dresden and I think is buried there. He fought in the Amer. Revolution. So for what it's worth I have ancestral ties to Dresden too. You said your Brother and Mother are there? By the way, I love rock walls!<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 12, 2012 at 10:50 pm
    • It IS a small world! I need to go find that particular genealogical book of mine to refresh my history and facts. I really don't know anything about Dresden–it is on my to do list. Portland, Bath, many Lincoln County villages, those I'm more familiar with, but since I have so many ancestors from Maine, he–he, :) I know I need to get myself back on the ball.

Home_girl, I really admire you, your energy, your talent. I really hope to meet some day. I inherited what was left of my aunt's doll collection, after her so-called "caregivers stole and sold the really good higher end rarities." I have about 100 out of her known collection of almost 400 and I know nothing about them. The "2 caregivers" also cleaned out my aunt & uncle's bank account, their other collectibles and antiques" and were isolating them–I flew to upstate NY when my aunt died suddenly and discovered they were convicted felons living in my uncle's house, he was scared to do anything; so, with sheriff present, i fired them, packed up the house, sold it in 2 weeks, and flew my uncle and 2 of his cats (placed the others in good homes) to live with me in Virginia, with my Mom,( his big sister) and my hubby. He had Alzheimers. He was a chief toy designer/engineer for Fisher Price and we had a wonderful 3 last years together! I don't know what to do with the dolls… Do you design and actually make those gorgeous "Reborn" Dolls I've seen on the internet? They are so real!!!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm
    • Kitty,
      For the dolls I get the vinyl parts and then do the rest to make them look like real babies. I got about 3-4 more I finished and need to put them on my site. I am thinking about trying to do one from clay but haven't found the time yet or money for all that clay.

I have contact information on my site if you want to talk off the blog. Save time and this is off topic.

home_girl on June 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm
    • You're right. Good idea–will use soon. Have a good, restful eve and many Blessings! <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 13, 2012 at 8:55 pm
    • hi Kitty
      if your in Maine this week of the 4th July, I'll be in my brothers big field of rocks camping in Dresden be sure to stop by.

home_girl on July 2, 2012 at 2:04 pm
    • Hi Rhonda! well, it's a bummer I won't be around Dresden for the 4th. Hope you, your Brother and Family have a wonderful, safe Fourth of July Holiday! I do hope to meet you. Gary and I will be back in Maine on July 20th and leave the 4th of August. I'll contact you through your website with my contact details as time draws nearer. Come to think of it, you're probably already in Dresden! :)

I agree with you about that wonderful antique door knocker. Doesn't it look good in today's new picture/thread Mary gave us? I was amused about the bumble bees on the flowers–they look like the are going to get dizzy any minute! :D ;) <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm
    • I'll be here on and off after that for my mother has knee surgery on the 18th so I'll take turns helping take care of her and my step father. So you may find me here in Dresden if you are in the area.

home_girl on July 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm
    • I hope Your Mom's surgery goes really well. I'm scheduled to see Ortho surgeon for my knees, just before I leave for Maine too. I'll work on finding you :D he he! The place we stay at Pemaquid Point doesn't have great cellular connectivity, but does have land phone and New Harbor Ph. Bk. We walk uproad a bit for cell use. Gorgeous views so we don't mind the walk:D . Take care! xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on July 3, 2012 at 3:03 pm
    • Thanks, this well be her second one fix the other one a few years ago, just had her hip replace in Feb.
      I'll wait to hear from you then, Back home now for a week then back to my mothers. May take camper back over for a place for my family to visit with me while I stay there a week or more taking care of them.

home_girl on July 6, 2012 at 9:02 pm
    • I am glad they put the original door covering back up and door knocker back on, looks good there help to keep some of the farm house country charm there.
      That color on the door doesn't look bad either, just that it's not red that's all, but an easy fix for the new owner, if they don't like the yellow.

home_girl on June 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm
  9. Thanks for taking the time to share your photo's with us home girl. I hope to return to Waldoboro soon and willl take more pic's while I'm there. I hope everyone is enjoying this glorious weekend.
    Ken

Kenneth Day on June 10, 2012 at 10:06 am
    • A Big Thanks to you too Ken–I enlarged the third picture of yours that Home_girl put on her website. FINALLY a Great pic of the circular cedar hot tub, and I could see the gorgeous colors of the stone used in the outdoor fireplace–
      The landscaping is always my favorite part of each blog cabin..
      The landscaping that's been installed this year seems to fit the home & location very well!

Mel on June 10, 2012 at 10:42 am
    • Hi Mel,
      I couldn't agree more Mel, the landscaping is perfect for this home. "The house looks lovely." So far the out side has everything anyone could ever want. Thanks to Ken and Home_girl for the pictures as it was nice to see the progress!
      How did your blow up the picture? If it's complicated forget it…..lol, I'm told I'm technically challanged. LOL
      Haven't been here for a while and missed all of you! Hope all is well with you!
      Donl't for get to buy a lottery ticket, as the jack pot is up again…. Windee :)

Windee :) on June 10, 2012 at 11:12 pm
    • Windee, it is nice to have you check in–you were missed ! xD

LLColeman on June 11, 2012 at 3:46 am
    • Thank You LLColeman :) Nice to be here. Wish I had more time to spend but there doesn't seem to be enought hours in the day for me. :)
      Hope your enjoying the blog! The house looks lovely ! How do you like it?
      Well have to run, the am comes quickly and have to get to bed.
      Thank you for your kind words, it is much appreciated. Take Care:) Windee :)

Windee :) on June 11, 2012 at 10:50 pm
  10. Great photos! I just don't understand that tiny only access basement door.. . what do you do, crawl in then drop to the full height floor?

minitoni on June 10, 2012 at 11:30 am
    • It may be a small door but you don't have to crawl into it. I would say you kind of open it in and step down into the basement. it's pretty wide so shouldn't be to much work going into basement from there. I still think inside stairs would be so much better that's all.

home_girl on June 10, 2012 at 1:18 pm