Jun 8

Blog Cabin 2012: Parting Thoughts

Blog Cabin 2012 Online Photo ShootOnline team, from left: Photographer Frank Murray, photographer Bruce Cole, special projects director Jeannine Shipp, special projects editor Mary Graff, visual designer Jason Kisner.

We wrapped the online photo shoot and departed Waldoboro yesterday, but not before squeaking in one last hearty diner breakfast, replete with blueberry pancakes, grilled muffins and breakfast sandwiches.

In thinking back on the events of the last few days, my mind returns to one story shared by interior decorator Victoria Lesser. When salvaging materials from the home and barn for use in remodeling projects, she couldn’t help but think of Macy’s flagship department store in New York’s Herald Square.
Every time she visits the store and rests her hand on the store’s old wooden escalator balustrade, she’s overwhelmed by memories of her grandma and shopping trips the two enjoyed. This relationship between material and memories, she adds, is the very reason why the design/build team saved as many parts and pieces of the original structure as they could. Celebrating and honoring the memory of generations of family members who called Blog Cabin home was top of mind for the entire crew. And, I am proud to say, the mission has been accomplished; everything from the dining table and master bed to the staircase, rebuilt with its original newel posts, has a unique story to tell.

The trip is over but I traveled home with plenty of my own fond memories. In my mind, even on the rainiest, grey day, Waldoboro shines.

• Posted at 4:35 pm on June 6, 2012

1. Thanks ahead of time for the beautiful images you will be sharing with us. And, while I am at it – how about sharing those blueberry pancakes——

izzyguest on June 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm
  2. ahhhh… the Adirondack chair at the front porch is sooo inviting….

Yes the wooden escalator at Macy's in NYC, I have traveled that many times…almost every CHRISTmas to see Santa when the kids were little…I have fond memories of that old escalator too…

maria_w_in_nj on June 8, 2012 at 6:06 pm
    • Hi Maria ! I was thinking of you today–saw a documentary about Seaside Heights, NJ and the people whose businesses depend on the people who visit the town in the summer.
      Before I moved away at age 7, I used to go from NJ into NYC to see the Christmas displays, too.

LLColeman on June 9, 2012 at 3:04 am
    • LL, didn't know you had East Coast beginnings. Will you ever return?

Lessie on June 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm
    • Lessie, " Madame LL knows the future…but she does not know anything about future travels" , LOL.
      I know you get busy at times and miss some of the blogs. It has been established that Maria does indeed live in jersey, ruffybc was born in NJ and now lives in NY State, and Debra may be longing for a home in VA, but she too was born in NJ….we are a bunch of Jersey girls, LOL. Too bad the only thing televised about NJ is "Jersey Shore"…eeek. ;)

LLColeman on June 12, 2012 at 2:57 am
    • LL, we not only follow the blogs together, but we have geography in common. I was raised in Jersey until 7 years old (in the 60s). Summers on the Jersey Shore were different back then;)

peter_nyc on June 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm
    • peter_nyc–Barnegat Bay summers ! I lived in Morris Plains, north central part of the state. You are among NJ natives, here on the blog !

LLColeman on June 12, 2012 at 2:59 am
  3. Thank you Mary for your warm thoughts and helping to put our minds to rest for trying to keep the past generations in mind as this project unfolded, it helps. I love all that that picture says with the Adirondack chair and the hydrangea, not to mention that nice granite step. Love it!!! So inviting :) I am just so excited for the reveal

heaven-bound23 on June 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm
  4. Wow, I can't believe that this project is over! Of course the best part is yet to come for all of the rest of us! It is exciting to see this house go from its original state to the completely refurbished glory. The only thing that would be more fun of looking at the finished photos, for me at least would be an explanation of the thinking behind the design decisions, both for the decor and the structural changes. I'm sure that anything that the team has done will look beautiful, but a narrative would be a good learning experience for the rest of us. You never know if we could use an idea that you have used in the remodeling of this house. Thank you!!!!!!! :-)

paperdragon on June 8, 2012 at 7:46 pm
  5. Very nice to meet you, Frank, Bruce, Jeannine, Mary and Jason! You guys look relieved and I trust all arrived home safely!!! You certainly were fed well for the journey!

Wondering about that pergola? I see one part but It's nebulous about the remainder…? Bless you all for restoring the corbels to the front door, along with its original door knocker!!! Bravo for those decisions!!! Right thing to do to give this home her original, historical charm!!! :D Thank you for humoring us Bloggies with more pictures and essays–you're a good writer/editor, Mary, and we hunger for and hang on every photo and word you write about Blog Cabin!! Please don't stop!<3<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm
    • Kitty
      You and I have the same eye:) Those are the first things I noticed also!-the corbels and the door knocker:) I love the color of the front door and the door itself-very charming esp. with the Adirondack chair and classic hydrangea:) The granite step also a nice colonial touch. I cannot wait to see what has been done inside and all around. It is getting exciting again now that we are getting closer to entering:p<3o.0
      Hope you are still feeling better:) God Bless

ruffybc on June 9, 2012 at 8:39 am
    • Hi Ruffy! I do believe we do! :) I love the Adirondack Chair and hope there's a second one hidden around there for neighborly visits… Hmmmm…I'm thinking if I win, I may have to add a narrower granite step to the existing one (I love the granite!) so that I don't have as high a step up to the doorstep—it's looking pretty daunting for me with my ambulatory issues. I don't want a ramp yet–did I say I love the granite??? :) Am wondering where they put the mailbox? I do like the yellow front door, but it's calling to me–I think the door wants to coordinate with the barn across the street?

Ruffy, I'm steadily improving since that surgery–thanks so much for caring! Hope you are well ! Have a great weekend to all!!! ;) :p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 9, 2012 at 10:40 am
  6. lol looks like I will have to paint that yellow door, red?
    Just wanted to hoot out a great big thank you for this blog with never seen before pics of the 2012 Blog Cabin.
    Well done. http://yourespecialtoo.com/HouseInWaldoboroME.htm….

Hawkweed on June 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm
    • Yes! the great photos taken and posted by home_girl! Did you see the huge back part of the barn–unpainted? Home_girl is so talented! Thanks for re-posting this for us, Hawkweed!B)xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 8, 2012 at 8:44 pm
    • Thank you DwnSoDwnEaster and you are very welcome…

Hawkweed on June 9, 2012 at 12:26 am
    • You're welcome Hawkweed,
      as soon as I can, I'll go by the BC and get some more pictures for you all to see. I'll let you all know when I put up some new pictures for you to enjoy.
      Maybe kenday2 can send me a few and I can post them there for her.

home_girl on June 9, 2012 at 12:38 am
    • Good Morning home_girl,
      I'm more than happy to share my photo's with all our fellow BC lovers. Where would you like me to send them?

kenday2 on June 9, 2012 at 8:00 am
    • kenday2 or anyone else that would like to share pictures…
      My Website has the information where you can contact me (yourespecialtoo.com)
      thanks

home_girl on June 9, 2012 at 11:34 am
    • Nice pictures. Thanks.

NancyBee on June 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm
  7. Sorry the wepage is no longer up? Odd?

Hawkweed on June 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm
    • Hawkweed, if your talking about my website it's still up, I just think they blocked the link from that side. Just type it in and just take you there.
      If all goes well and I get a few things done this morning, I may stop by the BC later today when I go to visit my aunt that lives in Nobleboro (a town over from there) to show her my latest children books. I'll try to get some pictures for you all, for right now the sun is shining and a nice day.
      they may block/delete this or that message, so you may have to go to my site to check out pictures and to see if they are posted. Should have them up by Monday at the latest. I won't show a lot, I think they want it for a surprise, but I'll see what I can do.

home_girl on June 9, 2012 at 10:32 am
    • Thank you Home_girl. I just wanted to say, your site rocks!:D

Hawkweed on June 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm
    • thanks Hawkweed
      new pictures are up now, if you want to see them…

home_girl on June 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm
  8. To the WHOLE crew that worked on the blog cabin in one way or another, a hearty" Thank you, to all of you!", for your hard work and dedication in transforming this blog cabin into the real beauty she has become once again. How nice of Victoria and the crew to salvage as much as they could from the original home. It will be so nice to see some of the original charm of this home repurposed! I can't wait to see more.Is there anyway us bloggers can do a walk through before the general public see's it?..I promise, I'll take my shoes off before entering the home. lol Ok, I know that's pushing it, but I had to put it out there. Thanks Again . Beautiful Transformation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…………………..<3..Windee :)

Windee :) on June 8, 2012 at 9:30 pm
  9. I cheer and hope a DIY blogger here wins this wonderful home this year. Could you imagine the fun we all would have with that one?

Hawkweed on June 8, 2012 at 10:35 pm
  10. Hello fellow BC lovers,
    I'm sure you're all as anxious as I am to see more photo's of this lovely retreat. Like most, I've followed BC since it's infancy and have logged on daily. Overcome with excitement and wonder I even ventured from Boston to Waldoboro on three seperate occasions just to get a mere glimpse of the magic taking place in this idylic part of the country. Growing up as a child, I have fond memories of the area and hope to return one day. The three hour drive went by quickly as I recalled some of my happiest moments in life. Ahhhhhh the joys of childhood. As I've grown older I've come to appreciate the simple things in life and going back home to my beloved state brought a smile to my face. I want to thank DIY for reminding me that there's no place like home and that it's never too late to go back.

kenday2 on June 8, 2012 at 10:37 pm