Jun 4

Blog Cabin 2012: Soak Up the Scenery With the Online Crew

We arrived in Portland, Maine, on a glorious Friday afternoon. The sun was shining, temps were in the low 70s and a crisp breeze was our clue that salt water and picturesque harbor views were a stone’s throw away. During the 1 1/2-hour drive up route 1, we passed forested groves, marshy ponds, lobster shacks and quintessential clapboard cottages — the area seems steeped in a cozy blanket of maritime history.

At long last, we neared the quaint village of Waldoboro and our home for the week, Blog Cabin 2012. The word “darling” popped to mind when we approached 602 Dutch Neck Road. A short stroll along a stone, lupine-flanked path led us to the front door and into the sun-drenched foyer and first-floor spaces. I wish you could have been here to experience water views from the living room windows and the master bedroom sliding doors. Spectacular!

And then the rain came. Each day we rise to grey skies and the sound of water drops pelting roof tops and window panes. The high temperature hovers around 55, which means jeans, sweaters, raincoats — and lots of piping hot chowder — on this trip. Weather conditions may be a blessing in disguise. Thanks to stormy skies and chilly conditions, we’ve been forced to fire up the gas stove. It pumps out just enough heat to keep the first floor cozy and says “New England” in a way that a fireplace never could. Trust me when I say it’s perfect for this home.

Our work continues today, with photographer and digital media producer Bruce Cole focusing on the inviting cottage-style kitchen and still photographer Frank Murray on the second floor, snapping pictures of the media room, game area and guest bedrooms.

I stole away to Boothbay Harbor today to snap a few photos for our Instagram feed (please follow diynetwork) and am preparing for tomorrow’s conversation with interior decorator Victoria Lesser. I look forward to sharing more details about interiors and how-to projects as we move closer to the launch of the virtual home tour.

Cheers from Maine on this rainy Monday. Keep your eyes peeled for teaser videos and cinemagraphic photography, created by our visual designer Jason Kisner, in the days and weeks to come.

• Posted at 5:51 pm on June 6, 2012

1. As I clean up my classroom, finish up report cards, take down the bulletin boards, put away the books, pre-screen in-coming kindergarteners, have one last party, get ready for our "Celebration, " pack for my daughter's "game day," cook dinner, give baths, get ready for a birthday party and … I look at your serene picture and think "… I'd like to be there, quietly walking through a beautiful field of flowers, taking pictures, remembering to find such beauty in small, precious things.

MarleneD on June 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm
  2. OH–My–Goodness!!! Did you see the KITCHEN??? I can cook in it, for sure and it is wonderful! Take a look at how they incorporated the old wood and made an awesome table! The Island is gorgeous! There's a pot filler by the stove and that super high faucet by the sink. They've re-purposed an old sewing machine table with, I think, small wheels to push around for serving–neat! Finally, a real inside peek!!! Thanks, Mary!xD:p<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm
    • I missed the push cart. Thank you for pointing that out to us!

CarlaB on June 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm
    • Hi Carla! I hope that's what I'm seeing. The wheels appear small, but it sure looks like a push cart! If it isn't one yet–I can see myself finishing the job–can you? LOL!:*<3;) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 6, 2012 at 6:00 pm
    • Kitty does it have a top piece, with a wooden frame and metal shelf? It looks like three square plates are sitting on a shelf behind the online crew and that this might be the top part of the push cart?
      This would be fabulous to load up with all of the essentials for outdoor grillin' and just push outside. You'd have plenty of space to store what you needed, the look is very industrial chic and practical.

Also does anyone else imagine this kitchen having a special ceiling treatment? Ideas? Guesses?

Mel on June 6, 2012 at 9:49 pm
    • B) Hi, Mel! I see the square plates on an open shelf, under which are hooks I think, but don't believe that shelf is part of the pushcart. However–I believe the pushcart may have drop sides, which can be pulled up and snapped into place for more serving space on both sides. Note the flap on the front side. Grilling tools and lighter can be hung on those hooks under the open shelving, which is next to the sliding door we can't see, but know is there. I laughed when I saw just 4 plates… My table mostly has overflow eaters and I keep service for at least a dozen handy, just in case…he–he–he–that's Mama Kitty's Kitchen!:p^_^:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 7, 2012 at 11:27 am
    • Kitty you have a good eye, and sound like a marvelous cook! The push cart sure would come in handy for feeding your large crowd. Of course– good wishes to you on winning & getting a chance to turn the blog cabin kitchen into Mama Kitty's Kitchen!

Mel on June 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm
    • Thanks Mel, that's thoughtful of you to say! :) Between my New England heritage, living in the US South for so long, and growing up in Brazil, I've accumulated quite a broad palette of cuisine styles and I do lots of creative cooking by tossing those styles together like salad…. The reality is, Mel YOU have just as good a chance of winning BC as I and millions of other folks do–I'm just hoping that a blogger hits it this time though, don't you? Good luck to you and all Bloggies!!!

You asked a good question earlier and I forgot to answer it: about the kitchen ceiling. Since that ceiling also is shared with the downstairs living room, I'm hoping it has lots of re-purposed wood beams. Unfortunately, there was no way for a vaulted ceiling there, but I saw some use of wood along the wall behind where the propane stove is and the wood beams, creatively laid out would be a plus, I think. I do hope there's a fan/light there too. What do you and others think?

Speaking of cooking, we haven't had a virtual pot luck since Christmas!:p;)^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm
    • Kitty I'm smitten with this kitchen just like you & CarlaB—the kitchen has Character, with some unique furnishings that look rich with stories. Nice mix of modern conviences with cottage touches, a practical layout, and plenty of work space! I'd be very content to cook & clean in this kitchen and enjoy the water view, stone fireplace view, cobblestone patio view, deck and multiple planting beds view!

Thanks Mary & online crew! Keep 'em photos coming :)

Mel on June 6, 2012 at 7:38 pm
    • It exceeded my expectations, Mel! I had really been concerned about the kitchen, for it is my realm. I need counter space and water access for cooking/prep. I remain a bit worried about the size of the sink and maybe the depth is deep–can't tell, but it needs to be deep. The kitchen has the bones and, as you said: stories within the furniture/fixtures! I believe it will need a Kitty touch to make it more homey/inviting, should I win, so it will have my signature, but don't all cooks do that? I'm thinking , but not sure–is the island marble? It appears they may have used old wood from the original home for the surrounding counter tops. What do you and other bloggers think? :) :pB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm
    • Kitty the island top looks like natural stone, or possibly concrete?
      I agree those wooden countertops look handmade, from salvaged wood. Someone did a good job with the handmade wooden items matching the wood tones, even with contrasting cabinet colors, and lots of wood in this kitchen, it all works! It's a nice neutral background, ready for you to throw in your "Kitty touch" and Kitty approved pops of color!
      Plenty of work space, and storage, with a convient pot filler over the stove. I have a faucet very similar to this one, the long neck does make cleaning up easy, hopefully that sink is deep.

Mel on June 6, 2012 at 9:30 pm
    • Hi KItty,
      Where did you see pic's of the kitchen?

kenday2 on June 7, 2012 at 10:04 am
    • Mel on June 7, 2012 at 10:59 am
    • Ken, I saw a good slice of the kitchen via Webstagram.com. The picture shows the film and photo staff working at the table, nearest the Eastern side of the kitchen/house. B)xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 7, 2012 at 10:59 am
  3. DIY ~ I absolutely love my new kitchen. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! How did you know I like red in my kitchen? I have red now as a matter of fact. You out did yourselves. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!! I am soooooo ready to move in. :)

CarlaB on June 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm
  4. Thank you Mary for all the pics….your description of the trip was awesome….it made me feel I was there seeing all the gorgeous scenery and taking in all the sounds and the cozyness of New England….wow…

FLH on June 6, 2012 at 9:20 pm
  5. What a honey of a kitchen. Is that white object on the counter down on the right side near the stove a bread making machine? It looks like one to me.This kitchen is awesome.

cindy on June 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm
  6. I like the pictures they are showing of the house and of our great state of Maine. I like visiting the light houses we have here in Maine, still a few I have left to see too.

I like the wainscoting that got voted on and was hoping to see some of it in the pictures; but so far I haven't spotted it yet, have any of you? I thought maybe it would be on all the wall in the living room, but you see it didn't make it on wall next to ma. bath. If they put it only by the window seat you won't see very much of it and I do love it on the walls, in the farm house or any home for that matter. Can put it in every room would be fine with me too.
    Is that what we see on the wall in the master suite? Or is that all the old doors put together to form a wall behind the bed?

home_girl on June 6, 2012 at 11:01 pm
    • Home_girl I love the look of wainscoting too. I like it in a formal dining room especially, installed three quarters the height of the wall, with a upper shelf rimming the wainscoting perimeter. Throw in a coffered ceiling and I'm in formal dining room heaven. My husband doesn't like this look, says it is sooo old fashioned, so guess what, we don't have it! :)
      He doesn't mind a half wall installation as much, unfortunately for my taste, we don't even have that!

I haven't spotted any traditonal wainscoting in the pics so far.

Mel on June 7, 2012 at 10:02 am
    • Mel so you don't think it's on the back wall in the master suite?
      Still looks like the old doors put together, could have a nice thick baseboard under it. Can you see the back wall in picture with man laying on the floor. Some says it looks green in color, I am thinking that's the lighting but green pretty too.
      The bathroom color suppose to be moonlight which looks to be a blue color to me, so green would look good with that too.

home_girl on June 7, 2012 at 11:03 am
    • Home_girl that looks like beadboard to me, installed the entire length of the wall, but I could certainly be Wrong! The beadboard could of been made out of salvaged wood.

At the Bethel NY cabin, me & some other bloggers thought we saw a row of stone tile on the back deck immediately as you stepped out of the house, at the living room and bedroom door. When the Indoors Out show aired, no stone tile was there. I almost booked an appointment with an eye doctor! I dare say Mary & others at Diy who work on these projects don't get a good chuckle over some of our guesses :)

Mel on June 7, 2012 at 11:43 am
    • To me beadboard is small thin strip of wood; I have it in my dinning room. That looks like wide boards to me, like doors or wainscoting. What made me think of doors was the picture they show of all the doors that was in the BC. I thought the doors looked great, I hope they put them back into the home.

home_girl on June 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm
    • Home_girl I went to webstagram and looked at that picture enlarging it several times, and by George I think you are Right! It does look like wainscoting is on that wall, very pretty indeed :)

Mel on June 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm
    • Home_girl can you please tell me where you saw the pic's you spoke of? I can't seem to find any recent ones on the website and would LOVE to see them. Thank you!!!

kenday2 on June 8, 2012 at 8:56 pm
      Day dreamer did you find them yet? it's on their webstagram.com site. it's under the June 2 message.

home_girl on June 10, 2012 at 12:15 am
    • Hello! You are on the right track, I say! Doors–several of them—grace the MBR back wall behind the bed. Not so sure what they did with the old holes but I hope those were filled and smoothed out, on this good idea!

On that different, color subject my thoughts: I don't believe the wall is green, but the lighting is just picking up a hue. The vote was 'White Raisin' color and I hope they lightened it up some–who knows? But the bathroom tile, which can be seen in the Webstagram.com tub shot is called 'Moonlight' and it has a blue tint to it–which explains why it is appearing to look green, with the yellow lights shining on it for photos…Bath tile surrounding tub is blue. What do you think? Have a great weekend!!! ^_^:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 9, 2012 at 11:30 am
  7. Mary,
    Tahnk you for all the input.I felt like we were there also.Have some warm chowder fro me too.It sure is nice to read those cool temps and rain.It sure is miserable hot down here i Fla.There will be nothing more to make me happy than moving to the cabin!!!!!!!!!
    Sincerely,
    Zisan

zisan on June 6, 2012 at 11:16 pm
  8. Did anyone notice that the Master bedroom is not painted that yucky orange, I think white raisin they called it, but looks to be painted a green….Am I seeing that right?? it's the photo of the guy on the floor filming toward the M/B? Maybe they changed their minds about the color, after we pleaded for them not to use that__yucky color….At least it will look better since the bathroom tile is green, JMT.
    LOVE the cute little goat all the Photos….Waldoboro is so beautiful and has so many interesting things to see, but also looks like a small, laid back town…….that I like!!!!.

Jennie/Florida on June 7, 2012 at 12:06 am
    • Jennie the master bedroom wall looks like beadboard painted in a soft green color to me. The interior teaser pics show lots of wood, some painted some stained, with soft neutral colors used for both applications, makes the spaces look fresh and warm. Victoria has maximised the character of this home, I'm really loving what we've seen so far.
      Mary if you are taking photo requests I'd like to see some teaser shots of the following:
      1. Pergola out front
      2. Close up of the outdoor stone fireplace & hot tub
      3. Backyard at night with the landscape lighting turned on
      4. Living room area, especially the gas stove space

Mel on June 7, 2012 at 9:28 am
    • Hi Mel, everything I have seen so far is very pleasing to the eyes…it looks so comfortable and inviting. I love the floors down stairs, so glad they aren't as dark as we thought they would be. I love the kitchen and all the counter space.The backsplash looks really good, I think it fits in and doesn't stand out as flashy stainless steel! I love the farmhouse feel in the kitchen!
      I really am looking forward to seeing photos of all the things you listed. The photo of the patio with the A/chair and Purple Hydrangea plant is the front terrace, too bad they didn't get the pergola at the same time….Mel I just can't get enough, I'm loving this…I want more, more, more!!!

Jennie/Florida on June 7, 2012 at 10:15 am
    • LOL Jennie, I feel the same way.
      So far, the home looks like a modern farmhouse beauty, combine that with the natural beauty of the land, the large barn, and some of my all time favorite back yard bling…Yes..I'm lovin' it too!

Mel on June 7, 2012 at 11:27 am
  9. Thank you Mary, the meadow photo is beautiful and I just can't wait to see what you have in store for us in this picturesque setting. I love it when it rains everyday… it's God's way of giving the world a shower, and let's remember, rain is what keeps our world green and our garden growing. How I would love to see this Ocean as I'm sure the views will be spectacular. Just love.. love Mary; thank you!

SusanG1956 on June 7, 2012 at 1:31 pm
  10. thank you Mary and all for the photos and the comments. I'm going back to web version of instagram to see if I can see more of what you are all seeing LOL. Thanks!

minitoni on June 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm
    • Hi minitoni–I could not see details at first, but then I clicked on each instaweb/instagram photo..that enlarged the photo a bit, and I noticed letters up in right hand upper corner. " L" I guess stands for Large,( as opposed to " T " which stands for Thumb). Then the image on L setting is bigger.

LLColeman on June 8, 2012 at 2:15 am