Jun 4

Blog Cabin 2012: Soak Up the Scenery With the Online Crew

We arrived in Portland, Maine, on a glorious Friday afternoon. The sun was shining, temps were in the low 70s and a crisp breeze was our clue that salt water and picturesque harbor views were a stone’s throw away. During the 1 1/2-hour drive up route 1, we passed forested groves, marshy ponds, lobster shacks and quintessential clapboard cottages — the area seems steeped in a cozy blanket of maritime history.

At long last, we neared the quaint village of Waldoboro and our home for the week, Blog Cabin 2012. The word “darling” popped to mind when we approached 602 Dutch Neck Road. A short stroll along a stone, lupine-flanked path led us to the front door and into the sun-drenched foyer and first-floor spaces. I wish you could have been here to experience water views from the living room windows and the master bedroom sliding doors. Spectacular!

And then the rain came. Each day we rise to grey skies and the sound of water drops pelting roof tops and window panes. The high temperature hovers around 55, which means jeans, sweaters, raincoats — and lots of piping hot chowder — on this trip. Weather conditions may be a blessing in disguise. Thanks to stormy skies and chilly conditions, we’ve been forced to fire up the gas stove. It pumps out just enough heat to keep the first floor cozy and says “New England” in a way that a fireplace never could. Trust me when I say it’s perfect for this home.

Our work continues today, with photographer and digital media producer Bruce Cole focusing on the inviting cottage-style kitchen and still photographer Frank Murray on the second floor, snapping pictures of the media room, game area and guest bedrooms.

I stole away to Boothbay Harbor today to snap a few photos for our Instagram feed (please follow diynetwork) and am preparing for tomorrow’s conversation with interior decorator Victoria Lesser. I look forward to sharing more details about interiors and how-to projects as we move closer to the launch of the virtual home tour.

Cheers from Maine on this rainy Monday. Keep your eyes peeled for teaser videos and cinemagraphic photography, created by our visual designer Jason Kisner, in the days and weeks to come.

• Posted at 5:51 pm on June 6, 2012

1. All this nice rain and cool temps may sound nice in that temp there, but it's floods here for us. The rivers are over the banks and flooding down town Augusta area today. Rain has stopped and sun starting to shine here now, hope it warms up just a little, I like it on the cooler side myself.
    Very hot one day; then cold rain the next, everyone coming down with colds like they do in early spring. What a mixed up weather we are having here in Maine.

home_girl on June 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm
    • That's New England for ya!!! I have to say I am so sick of the rain though right now!! and the contractors must be too…

heaven-bound23 on June 8, 2012 at 1:18 pm
    • We are hoping for some rain, we are in a drught. my poor lawn…we can only water in the middle of the night 2 x a week for just a short time. Too bad it can't even out, not so much for you home_girl and more for us in Ut.

vicki_in_Utah on June 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm
    • Hi Vicki, I sure wish I could share some of the rain we've had for the past week. It been coming down in buckets. My yard has been flooded in some areas and is so saturated that all the little varments want to come in my house to keep from drowning.
      I'm going to a Beach Wedding tomorrow morning, The couple had to change the Ceremony to 8 am
      "in the morning" to beat the storms, We're praying for a beautiful Sunrise and hope we get through the Ceremony before the rains come. I think the weatherman said to expect a 50 to 60% chance of downpours and thunderstorms. there goes the Pool party, Wedding reception…It won't all be lost, theirs still the food!!!
      I didn't know that when I moved to Florida, that Florida was the most dangerous state for lightening, maybe if I had known, I would have given it a little more thought!!!! But you know, It really doesn't matter where you live, there is dangerous weather everywhere. You just have the think positive and believe that you will be protected by the Higher Power above!!!! Just don't push it!!!! Have a good evening, Vicki…..

Jennie/Florida on June 8, 2012 at 6:05 pm
    • HI jennie/Florida, i didn't know that Florida had so much lighting. Last weekend when we were at our cabin in Hamblin Valley, lighting started a big brush fire because it is so dry, we havent had any rain since April and that wasn;'t much. a air tanker was dropping fire retartend and the plan crashed and killed the two piolets. . Have fun at the wedding..

vicki_in_Utah on June 9, 2012 at 7:48 am
    • Oh Vicki, that is terrible!!! Did you witness the crash? I hope not…. If its not wildfires, it's floods, winds or tornados! The US has gone through so many disasters this year already and it's only June. I wonder what the next 6 months is going to be like??
      The Wedding was absolutely Beautiful.!! They didn't get started til 9am this morning, but the Sun was peaking threw the clouds and we had a gentle breeze, big waves were crashing in and that made the wedding more exciting.. Everything was just perfect…..but the Pool party was rained out, so we continued inside..
      The weather didn't keep us from celebrating our Grandson and his new Bride's Wedding…..
      I'm a proud MeMe!!!
      Vicki, I sure wish you were getting just some of this rain, the drought would be over in a week! We need to do a rain dance!!!!! I think they really work!!!! Have a good evening!

Jennie/Florida on June 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm
    • Hi home_ girl, boy sounds like you are really getting the rain. I hope you do get a chance to go by the BC I really enjoyed your last pictures.

vicki_in_Utah on June 9, 2012 at 7:50 am
  2. Hi Mary
    I've been anxiously waiting for photo's and you delivered. Thank you! I'm driving to Wiscasset tomorrow and may have to take a small detour to sneak a peak of my dream home. I'm not kidding when I say this home has everything I've always wished for in a home. The location, bucolic settting, design choices and landscaping are breathtakingly beautiful. Winning this home would be a dream come true. I LOVE IT!!!

kenday2 on June 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm
  3. Mary,
    Thank you for painting us a picture with your words. I felt like I was almost there. Thank you for the pics, too. I look forward to seeing more. Be blessed ~ Carla

CarlaB on June 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm
  4. Realistically, we COULD experience the spectacular water views from the Blog Cabin living room windows and the master bedroom sliding doors, but being the polite neighbors we are (neighbors from far and wide), we're just waiting for our invitation. I'm fine however it's sent; by email, overnight courier, a phone call or even old-fashioned snail-mail.

All I need is a couple of weeks advance notice. I'll send my RSVP immediately — which naturally will be a very gracious YES INDEED — see you there! No need to ask twice….

Let's just hope the sun is shining again by then.

DBCoop on June 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm
    • Coop, I am with you!! and maybe we could have some of those lobsters & clams out on the back deck. I think that is a splendid idea :) :) I won't have to think twice about my answer, LOL

heaven-bound23 on June 8, 2012 at 1:21 pm
  5. Mary my eyes have turned into two grateful sponges, "Soak(ing) up the scenery with the Online Crew"!
    Great new pics on Instagram! and a delightful blog entry…I enjoyed every word :)
    My compliments to the Online crew for their pic of the hallway/living room floor, master bath photo ( the photographer appears to be getting a great shot of the candle holder as someone is getting a great shot of him) the cobblestone patio and potted hydrangea, everything is looking beautiful!! Keep photos like these coming Mary—they feed my insatiable appetite for blog cabin and are safe for a dieter to look at. (not so much the ice cream & pie) Mary it's almost summertime— AKA, tankini time—

Mel on June 5, 2012 at 6:36 pm
    • Ha–Mel you are moved to poetry : ".. my eyes are two grateful sponges"–I just love the way you write! !!
      I hope the storms did not cause any damage in your area.

LLColeman on June 6, 2012 at 4:10 am
    • Thanks LL! We had a lovely weekend where I live, but it's been grey and rainy the last couple of days. I have plants that look like they have grown a foot in the last week, so I'm happy. Everything has been early this year, our strawberries were almost one month ahead of time. I can hardly wait for a home grown tomato sandwhich, and it won't be long now 'til I have some 'maters ready to be picked.

Mel on June 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm
  6. Love the wood floors. especially love the warm colors.

AnneEliseSouth on June 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm
    • I have to admit, those floors are beautiful, even though they could not keep original floor boards because of damage to boards and joists alike.

LLColeman on June 6, 2012 at 4:12 am
  7. Let me know about the photos folks. Gosh I hate to be an outsider here.

Nebraska on June 5, 2012 at 11:08 pm
    • Hi Nebraska, go back to the last thread and go to the second paragraph where it says "Note to Audience" scan down to where it says Webstagram.com and click it and it will take you to the photos…Please try it! You will enjoy looking at these photos……
      Did you get a chance to read the reply I sent to you on the last thread? It's under your post with 4 replys.

Jennie/Florida on June 5, 2012 at 11:38 pm
    • Correction- my reply to you is under "my post" on the last thread.with 3 replys…

Jennie/Florida on June 5, 2012 at 11:49 pm
    • Thanks for the info…… Pictures were great

Monica16Motti on June 6, 2012 at 1:28 am
  8. Ooooo–liking the subway tiles and plantation shutter shown in the bathroom photo shown in the Webstagram series ! The little patio scene with the Adirondack chair is cozy too.
    Note to Nebraska–in Mary's thread, she mentions the words " instagram feed " in her next to last paragraph. Clicking on that goes back to the post with the webstagram link–yes, it means 2 clicks to get to the photos….<sigh > :S

LLColeman on June 6, 2012 at 4:08 am
  9. AWE-SOME!! Wow love the pictures, I just can't wait to see the reveal and can't wait to start getting my entries in…maybe this is the year when a blogger snags the prize, wouldn't that be grand!

I LOVE the picture of the cliff and the lighthouse…just made it into my desktop pic!

maria_w_in_nj on June 6, 2012 at 8:09 am
  10. Love the picture of the buttercups above, can almost see them bouncing in the breeze. The other pictures on Webstagram are great also. I haven't stopped and explored that part of Maine for many years – I think it's time to go back.

Windsmurf on June 6, 2012 at 11:12 am