Jun 4

Blog Cabin 2012: Soak Up the Scenery With the Online Crew

We arrived in Portland, Maine, on a glorious Friday afternoon. The sun was shining, temps were in the low 70s and a crisp breeze was our clue that salt water and picturesque harbor views were a stone’s throw away. During the 1 1/2-hour drive up route 1, we passed forested groves, marshy ponds, lobster shacks and quintessential clapboard cottages — the area seems steeped in a cozy blanket of maritime history.

At long last, we neared the quaint village of Waldoboro and our home for the week, Blog Cabin 2012. The word “darling” popped to mind when we approached 602 Dutch Neck Road. A short stroll along a stone, lupine-flanked path led us to the front door and into the sun-drenched foyer and first-floor spaces. I wish you could have been here to experience water views from the living room windows and the master bedroom sliding doors. Spectacular!

And then the rain came. Each day we rise to grey skies and the sound of water drops pelting roof tops and window panes. The high temperature hovers around 55, which means jeans, sweaters, raincoats — and lots of piping hot chowder — on this trip. Weather conditions may be a blessing in disguise. Thanks to stormy skies and chilly conditions, we’ve been forced to fire up the gas stove. It pumps out just enough heat to keep the first floor cozy and says “New England” in a way that a fireplace never could. Trust me when I say it’s perfect for this home.

Our work continues today, with photographer and digital media producer Bruce Cole focusing on the inviting cottage-style kitchen and still photographer Frank Murray on the second floor, snapping pictures of the media room, game area and guest bedrooms.

I stole away to Boothbay Harbor today to snap a few photos for our Instagram feed (please follow diynetwork) and am preparing for tomorrow’s conversation with interior decorator Victoria Lesser. I look forward to sharing more details about interiors and how-to projects as we move closer to the launch of the virtual home tour.

Cheers from Maine on this rainy Monday. Keep your eyes peeled for teaser videos and cinemagraphic photography, created by our visual designer Jason Kisner, in the days and weeks to come.

• Posted at 5:51 pm on June 6, 2012

1. Ya ha, I finally got the first comment ! Oooo such pressure….Thanks Mary for the new post; I love the meadow shot. While we are waiting for photos to come, here is a link to Matt Blashaw's Facebook page, with 2 barn photos <3 /www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Blashaw/53625200612
    As he did last year, he had some fun photos to share–(even though his visit to ME was much shorter than his stay in VA for BC 2011). There are fewer photos this year, but I love the shot of him and Grundy, and the street vista of Damariscotta, which I would love to visit.

LLColeman on June 4, 2012 at 9:57 pm
    • You Go Girl !!
      Seriously, congrats on being first LLColeman :)

Mel on June 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm
    • thanks, Mel…I got online fairly early in the evening, and never expect to make a first comment………

LLColeman on June 6, 2012 at 4:16 am
  2. Thank you Mary for the new Post….surprised to get one so soon, but definitely not complaining…I love the photo above, can't wait to see more!!!….By the way the address is 620 Dutch Neck Rd. if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks LL for your links

Jennie/Florida on June 4, 2012 at 10:47 pm
  3. Well I just entered my reply and it went poof…I'll try again…Thank you Mary for the new post so soon, I just love the photo above.. Please keep them coming..I wish for just one photo of the front yard at the Blog Cabin, would that be possible???
    Mary if I'm not mistaken, the address for the Blog Cabin is 620 Dutch Neck Rd.

Hi.. LL, I tried the link but no luck, it said it wasn't available, so I will try again later..
    Matt had so many great shots of the water and scenery last year! Thanks for the link!

Jennie/Florida on June 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm
    • Hey, Jennie—all of your replies are up now. The " link" I tried is not working, but maybe if you highlight it and copy the link you will get there ….?

I think this works- -https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151734221305613.861302.53625200612&type=1

LLColeman on June 5, 2012 at 12:12 am
    • LL.. isn't that the biggest mess you've ever seen…I really don't know what is going on, but I sure hope Admins will take all those off except for the first one…what a mess!!!

I tried again on the new link you gave me and that one didn't work either, it said for me to check my spelling….

Jennie/Florida on June 5, 2012 at 12:58 am
    • So sorry ! Maybe someone with some skills will find a better link and post it, LOL. :$

LLColeman on June 5, 2012 at 1:22 am
    • try this link to Matt's FB I love the comments he makes about each picture.

you might have to copy and paste it in the url (address)

vicki_in_Utah on June 5, 2012 at 8:32 am
    • Thanks, vicki_in_Utah, that was a better link to see the photos of the house. I liked the photo of the backyard, showing that beautiful deck! I didn't realize that the backyard had such a steep sloop.

paperdragon on June 6, 2012 at 10:22 am
    • Sorry good tries LL:p<3 Thanks Vicki too<3
      Great photos. I too would like to see a good photo of the front. Very curious:)

ruffybc on June 8, 2012 at 7:49 am
    • Thank you Vicki. Love Love those lobsters & clams mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
      Nothing like it in Maine. I love the shots of the barn.

heaven-bound23 on June 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm
  4. WELL, whats up Admins?? Why do you keep deleting my replys? This is my third try!

Hi Mary this is a nice surprise to get a new thread so soon. I love the photo above, please keep them coming…Could it be possible to have a photo of the front yard of the BC? Would love to see it!
    Mary if I'm not mistaken, the address of the Blog Cabin is 620 Dutch Neck Rd….

Thank you LL for the link, I tried it before but they said it was not available, but to try later..So I will try later
    Matt had some great photos of the water & beach, also beautiful sunsets last year! I really enjoyed them!

Jennie/Florida on June 4, 2012 at 11:38 pm
    • Hey Everybody! I'm no techy and I don't have Facebook, but I noticed one thing on LL's link to Matt's Facebook page which I figured was going to stop us all from getting there right off the get go: the forward slash at the beginning, just before the "www"! so I removed it and cut and pasted the address and the thing worked perfectly the first time! I saw all Matt's pictures even though I have no Facebook account! Try that if you still haven't seen it….:DB):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm
  5. LLColeman on June 5, 2012 at 12:15 am
    • not working LL sorry.

minitoni on June 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm
    • Take out the https:// and all should be well. :)

Clive on June 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Blashaw/53625200612 works for me.
      Or what Clive is saying, either copy this and paste it into your address bar. This should work.B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm
    • Watch for the little accidental punctuation marks, such as a comma or period or a forward slash that gets itself embedded into a web address. It is often as simple as removing this extra "appendage" at the beginning of your intended address that throws one off and blocks the web search — this has been the problem the past couple of days with Matt's Facebook address, as posted. If you go back and review how people have written it, sometimes, it has had a slash at the start and other versions, a period. We all tend to miss these teeny additions, but they can really cause a mess of frustration–as has Matt's Blashaw's Facebook 2012 BC picture posting! :) ;) <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 7, 2012 at 3:51 pm
    • Glad somebody came back in and fixed your TU! I can't imagine why someone would have given a TD :( –they have a a problem, Clive! I had already use my vote on you.B):DB) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm
    • Thanks Kitty, you're always very generous with your thumbs and I appreciate it. However, I really don't care a hoot about the thumbs. It's just a little survey tool to help blog admin and their sponsors. IMHO it's completely unnecessary and leads to many more problems than it's worth. It's also prone to accidental voting the wrong way and once hit the 'thumb' can't be removed or altered. A silly and unnecessary addition (IMHO of course ). o.0

Clive on June 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm
  6. Dear admins would you please send me an E-mail and let me know why you have deleted 3 of my replys? One right after the other. They all said about the same thing, I finally had to write it down so I wouldn't change it or forget what I had written. This is very disturbing and aggravating, Would you please respond?

Jennie/Florida on June 5, 2012 at 12:17 am
  7. Dear Admins you won't believe this, but could you delete all but the "first" reply to Mary?

Jennie/Florida on June 5, 2012 at 12:44 am
    • The posts that nobody has replied to, I think you could delete yourself—on the bottom right of your comment there should be the words "Edit Delete and Report " and you can click on Delete if you want. Once someone replies to you, that comment has to stay up.

LLColeman on June 5, 2012 at 1:18 am
    • I Think that only works if one is signed on with intense debate LL!

EdinOregon on June 5, 2012 at 5:12 am
    • Did you get my message? (from Ledlass) Looks like the board administrator went on a deleting rampage again :-(

Dashright on June 5, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    • actually even if someone replies you can delete your comment. especially if you feel it was snarky or too personal. I've done it myself using the edit delete report functions

minitoni on June 7, 2012 at 1:44 pm
  8. Thanks Mary and all you others out there for the up dates and pictures, they are great.
    Now that most of the work is done and when you get a little down time, how about some more questions and answer time. The bloggers asked some good questions about different things that were or wasn't done to the house or ground around the home.
    I know there are blogger that just follow and like knowing what going on with this home, for they may be trying to fix up an old house too and would like to know the reasons why you do something and the reasons why you don't.
    Was it because of the lack of money or time, safety reasons, lack of room etc. So maybe you could answer a few of the big concerns the blogger have and tell us the reasons behind why you did or didn't do it, to help us to understand your reasons behind it. So could you please answer these questions for us.

1.Changing the main stairs to 2nd floor – they been in used there for over an 100 years.
    you stated it was for safety reasons (too steep) and didn't meet the new safety codes. I know that stairs to a second floor need to face or be near a exit door for fire or easy exit.

2. Why you didn't put a dormer on the 2nd floor facing the water?
    You replace the roof shingles, add supports to help straighten out the roof, if you had to do all that anyway how much more work would it take to put in a small dormer for a view and light. Was it because of the plans they had for the mega den?

3. Taking out the stairs to the basement, there was stairs there before. And why take out the only nice window in the basement and block the others with support poles. Everyone feels it's very important to have those stair there or inside the home.
    what was the reason none got put back into the home after they finished the new floor? was it not room enough under the new stairs, safety reason, basement not safe to use, why?

4. No Driveway near the kitchen end of the home. Will there be one or not?
    I know there is a nice tar driveway in front of the barn, but that is a long ways to walk to the house. I know you can drive on the grass to unload kids and your shopping goods, but still a driveway next to the house would be nice. Is it because it's the only good level area around for a nice lawn? If that's the only reason there is 14 acres of fields behind the house for a lawn. I don't think the front yard would get used to much because it's so close to the road anyway. Even if the grass looks great there for curb appeal.

5. Why take out the only working fireplace? Even if it wasn't put in there until the 1970's.
    Was it because of the new floor plan and it didn't fit, and you wanted a window seat. Or was it not safe to use. You did you feel it just didn't need one in this home,a small LP gas stove would do in place of wood stove & the fireplace.

If for no other reason to answer these questions than to let the bloggers know why you did it, it would be great to know. Thanks!!!!!

home_girl on June 5, 2012 at 2:08 am
    • WELL DONE HOME GIRL!!!! Thank you for asking those questions and yes, it would be nice to hear about why they made the choices they did. Thank you for posing all those questions and important points. :)

heaven-bound23 on June 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm
    • Inside stairs to basemet could probably be installed under the existing staircase I hope!

minitoni on June 19, 2012 at 9:27 pm
  9. Good questions…home_girl !!!!

Jennie/Florida on June 5, 2012 at 10:24 am
  10. Although the weather is in the high 80's here in the Southwest today, it has been over 100 degrees several times already. So, the cool refreshing temps and rain in Maine sound very inviting; just like that bowl of chowder! Can't wait to see the darling Blog Cabin from the inside! Hope you have a great day everyone.

memanbepa on June 5, 2012 at 11:43 am