Jun 2

Follow Us on Instagram, Won’t Ya?

Blog Cabin 2012 on Instagram

The online team is on location, capturing photos and copy for the virtual home tour of Blog Cabin 2012. As we spend time in and around the town of Waldoboro, Maine, we plan to post behind-the-scenes pictures on Instagram. You can expect photos of lighthouses, pretty harbors, old churches, village scenes and anything out-of-the-ordinary/unusual that catches our eye. Download the app on your phone, follow diynetwork and comment on or like the photos.

Note to Audience: Instagram is a new addition to our coverage of Blog Cabin 2012. We will continue to keep you updated via blog entries, photo galleries and our online virtual tour, which will live on DIYNetwork.com. To view our Blog Cabin online photo shoot Instagram photos on your home computer, please visit Webstagram.com.

• Posted at 11:58 am on June 6, 2012

1. Wow Mary,that would be a treat!!! It would be great to see all that Waldoboro and the surrounding areas
    have to offer…I've looked at a lot of pretty areas already and Waldoboro seems like a very friendly and quaint Town….The winner will truly be blessed to live there….
    But Mary, could we please see some new Photos of the Blog Cabin and maybe a photo of where the wildberry raised beds are located. What happened to the old clothes lines? Did they run power to the Barn, so when the new owner parks there at night, they will be able to see how to get across the street. Was there a shallow well put in at the barn for watering flowers or maybe for barn animals. Have they built the new mailbox across the street from the BC? Would you please give us the square footage of the Barn that was promised back when we had our Q/A?
    Please Mary can we have more Photos of the Blog Cabin maybe a peek or 2 or 3 of the front yard??
    Have a great Day!!!

Jennie/Florida on June 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm
  2. I'm positive I'll like the photos even before I've seen them. It's like having your own personal roving webcam sharing scenes from around the town of Waldoboro — and who wouldn't enjoy some behind-the-curtains pictures and idyllic photos of lighthouses, cozy harbors, old churches and historic village squares with quaint shops and tree-lined streets.

I bet there'll even be a photo or two of Moody's Diner. (While you're there, don't miss out on their award-winning blueberry muffins, along with the famously tender and juicy upside-down roast turkey, gravy made from scratch, and world-famous lemon meringue or walnut pies. (I hope the Blog Cabin will come with a gift certificate! Enough for dinner for a dozen hungry bloggers and their friends please…)

DBCoop on June 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm
    • Hi Coop, everything sounds so yummy at Moody's Dinner. I heard their Walnut pie was the best ever and that is my favorite pie. A gift certificate would be "icing on the cake" for the winner and Blogging friends.
      I am not familar with the Instagram, but it sounds like you can get into the nooks and crannys of Waldoboro and see things other people miss…Can't wait to see their Pics……

Jennie/Florida on June 2, 2012 at 8:12 pm
    • Since I don't have a smart phone, I'll just have to drive around the area and look at the places in person. Jennie/Florida, there are still no signs of raised beds and the mail box is not yet finished. It also appears that what looked like a gravel parking space on the north side of the house was temporary . It's now covered with straw like a lot of the other yard area. Regarding pie, the fourberry and strawberry rhubarb pies are also great.

Camac on June 2, 2012 at 11:27 pm
    • Your funny Camac, but you do have that advantage. With the gas prices so high, that leaves me out…I could call the Chamber of Commerce and request an Historical book of Waldoboro and surrounding area, so I don't miss out on the photos
      Thank you for the info Camac..sounds like they haven't tied up all the loose ends yet… I can't figure out their reasons for doing some of the things they do. Why didn't they leave the gravel parking space, did it look bad? Doesn't make a lot of sense…
      Camac I would love to have a slice of the fourberry pie, that sounds interesting! I still want a piece of that Famous Walnut pie….with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream on top…my favorite!
      I just gained 5lbs talking about it……

Jennie/Florida on June 3, 2012 at 12:11 am
    • The lack of a parking space doesn't make any more sense than no interior access to the cellar or not having any second floor view toward the river. My little house is near the river, but then I don't have a hot tub, recessed in step lighting on my deck or a fancy doghouse. I'm so out of it, I don't even have a flat screen TV- just an old one I picked up at a yard sale about 10 years ago when I was still renting out the place during the summer (I had no TV reception so the set was just for use with a vcr.

Camac on June 3, 2012 at 11:45 pm
    • Camac
      can you see anything done down by the water front yet? They keep changing things all the time, so was just wondering if they changed their minds about doing something down there too, or just haven't got around to it yet.

home_girl on June 4, 2012 at 12:04 am
    • So far, I've seen no sign of activity down by the river. This has been a very wet month though so the ground is probably to wet to stand much traffic. It's been cold and rainy the last few days but there are still vehicles parked near the BC.

Camac on June 4, 2012 at 4:17 pm
    • Thanks ever so much for your views of this build. Your discriptions and Lisa's have far surpassed the pics and news provided by BC:(
      I refuse to speculate anymore on what is going on with this build. I am sure it will be very nice but, it certainly has some very strange aspects all of which you have mentioned and also the bloggers??:( So we shall see? Please keep up your wonderful sleuthing:):p<3
      Man, I am extremely hungry now with mention of all this pie:)-we have missed alot of food parties this season-our hearts and stomachs have not been up to it:(!

ruffybc on June 4, 2012 at 8:18 am
    • Hi Camac, I'm so glad Mary is providing the photos for us, now you won't have to waste your gas riding all over Waldoboro touring, to find these places…lol
      I have said so many times, that if budget was the reason for not having Dormers up stairs in "Mega's Den" and Guest bedroom, they could have dumped the Spa tub, Hot Tub and Dog Barn, surely those funds would have covered at least a Dormer or two upstairs….How often will those things be used compared to the dormers that give more light and views of the river? I bet when the hot tub is used, they will have to share the tub with all those bugs that you and Lisa were talking about..Just get a little net and fish them out….. Sounds like fun!
      Indoor stairs to the basement is so important to the homeowner, especially if it's going to
      be for storage, furnace access and a Storm shelter, I don't understand that one at all! Having all the bells and whistles, that probably will seldom be used, is a waste of money…. Just my Thoughts!!! Have a good Day!

Jennie/Florida on June 4, 2012 at 10:15 am
    • Amen to that, Jennie! That is among the most insane decisions I think that have ever been made for a lovely give-away home by the water!!! One ALWAYS accentuates and enhances the attributes of the location, remembers to facilitate the use of safety and storage features, and should try to maintain cohesiveness within the Community in which one is building! It's a given! Respect ones' surroundings and respect the future needs of the winner too, IMO. Seems like a bit of youthful self indulgence and thoughtlessness may have gotten into the thought equation–no thinking of tomorrow's necessities…:oo.0:S Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 4, 2012 at 4:51 pm
    • Definitely agree with you Kitty. Many of these decisions will affect the liveability of the house not to mention the resale value! =/

EdinOregon on June 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm
    • Hiya Ed, it's Ledlass. I doubt this will get through either, but I'm going to try anyway. I've been blocked from posting, which is okay with me because I got blocked for fighting for what's right. So I just wanted to say I enjoyed meeting all of you. If anyone wants to speak with me directly, my email address is Ledlass@AOL.com.

Dashright on June 4, 2012 at 7:18 pm
    • Hi Ledlass. I didn't see anything you said that would have caused admin. to ban you from the blog. In the years I have been on here there were much more "interesting" commenters that were kept! ^_^ It was more than likely a problem with intense debate itself. You can write intense debate to see what the problem is, or continue to post under your new moniker. One thing I try to remember when I get frustrated with the blogs. It is their blog and I have to play by their rules! :S:) You know like the golden rule! He who has the gold makes the rules! :D :o

EdinOregon on June 5, 2012 at 5:19 am
    • Wow, I got through! lol Do me a favor and give Ashtabulannie my email address? Thank you :-)

Dashright on June 4, 2012 at 7:19 pm
    • Did you say strawberry rhubarb pie, Camac?! That's my absolute all-time favorite. Even if I don't win Blog Cabin 2012, I'm going to have to make it to Moody's Diner one of these days and buy one whole pie to go! (After finishing off one of their famous roast turkey dinners of course.)

DBCoop on June 3, 2012 at 1:59 am
    • Just so everyone knows there is nothing from Moody's Diner that is bad, IT IS ALL GOOD mmmmmmmm makes my stomach rumble just thinking about it. Have two fantastic cookbooks from Moody's that feature alot of their recipes in it with also the history of Moody's with GREAT photos from over the years. They really are great books. you should check it out if you are interested in Moody's Diner.

heaven-bound23 on June 3, 2012 at 7:36 pm
    • It sounds like you have been to Waldoboro, Maine ? You just made me hungry Yum. :D

Kathy Reed on June 12, 2012 at 7:09 pm
  3. Is there a way to see the photos if you do not have a phone?

joanlife on June 2, 2012 at 4:07 pm
    • Excellent question!:)Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 2, 2012 at 9:26 pm
    • Kitty I just sent you and Mel a post on the last thread to see if you girls were OK, I just heard you had Tornados in Virginia and North Carolina yesterday and last night. Did they come close to you? You didn't say anything about Tornados, so I'm glad your safe. A tornado hit Elizabeth City North of Hwy 17 & Simpson Ditch Rd. I don't know where Mel lives in NC, but I hope she is OK, she hasn't blogged in a while. Mel Please let us know you're OK!!!
      Kitty, I'm not up on all the new technology, so I'm confused as to how this Instagram works. I hope Mary will make sure we on the Blog, gets to see the Pics without one of these gadgets!!

Jennie/Florida on June 2, 2012 at 10:23 pm
    • Jennie Thank You for your concern, I'm fine. :)
      We had temps around 90, with high humdity until that front came through. Where I live the front cooled things off, and lowered the humidity, thankfully it did that without us having any severe weather. Yesterday was a beautiful day, and I was outside most of the day, working in the yard, and running errands.
      Like you, I'm waiting on Mary to write a blog thread or post some pics of Jason's front yard work. All of the other guest hosts that worked on the blog house were mentioned here. Jason deserves his own portion of blogger admiration!

Mel on June 3, 2012 at 10:42 am
    • Hi Mel, so glad you're OK, the East coast was really hit hard with all those Tornados. Kitty has been blogging and hasn't mentioned any bad weather, so I guess her area wasn't effected…
      I'm So glad!!
      Yes Mel, I'm dying to see some pics of Jason's hard work and totally surprised that nothing
      has been said about the front yard..I'm surprised Mary hasn't put Jason on the top of the list for recognition and Kudos for a job well done..and have a thread on the front yard. I'm thinking maybe she is keeping that under wraps for a surprise of some sort…yeah right!!
      The only thing is, Camac hasn't mentioned anything spectactular has happened in the front yard…and the raised beds haven't been spotted either…also the gravel parking by the entry terrace was temporary..not there anymore, nothing but straw there now…..go figure!
      Don't understand why things are so different this year than with the past BC's..
      A little disappointing!!!! Don't you think? But this is still a beautiful home and anyone would be very fortunate to win!!! As I have said before, I do hope a BC Blogger wins…Have a good day!

Jennie/Florida on June 3, 2012 at 11:58 am
    • Jennie, thanks for caring and asking! I left you my response on the other thread question you posed. ;) You are always so thoughtful! Were OK Lots of wind and rain. Tornadoes in our area did damage but miles from my home in Chesapeake.Lots of waterspouts too. So glad that Mel is alright too!!! Thanks for caring!xD:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 3, 2012 at 11:04 pm
    • If you click on picture, you can see the picture on the phone. It's pretty!

home_girl on June 2, 2012 at 11:54 pm
    • Thank you…yes I do really like it.

joanlife on June 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm
    • Yes! I just saw that they added webstagram.com so that I and others like me…no phone…could get to see the pictures too….Thank you…

joanlife on June 21, 2012 at 2:30 pm
  4. OMG. I need some advice and faster than fast! My mother-in-law is coming (okay, we are really driving 10 hours to pick her up and bring her here, but the end result is the same)!! Our yellow brick house needs updated color for the shutters and door. I have looked for over an hour online to find some suggestions and am more confused than before I started. HELP!!!!!!!

NmbrsGal on June 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm
    • If you can go on the Facebook website, you can try sending questions to some of the DIY hosts…they are sometimes willing to answer such questions… sounds like you need paint colors ? Try the big paint company websites where they can show good combinations of compatible colors….Sherwin Williams, Martha Stewart ( has her own line of paints) or my favorite Behr . Sister network HGTV has a page on their site with Do's and Don'ts: http://www.hgtv.com/color-dos-and-donts/package/i
      or DIY's advice pages, i.e. : http://marketplace.diynetwork.com/Product.aspx?Li

LLColeman on June 3, 2012 at 1:13 am
    • My suggestions? teal and gray…..

Nebraska on June 3, 2012 at 11:21 am
    • Sorry you disagreed but my favorite house here in Omaha is a painted yello brick, white trim, pale gray shutters and a deep teal blue door. Absolutely a great combo. If it makes you calmer and takes your mind off of the visit to have painted do it- I have made that suggestion before.

Nebraska on June 5, 2012 at 12:50 pm
    • I am old enough to be a mother-in-law….I say, please do not concern yourself with that. You might get so stressed trying to accomplish the task you wear yourself out and bring sickness into the mix. If anything is said during the visit…I would just say you have not come to a decision on color. It is a future project. Please take time to just enjoy her visit. Maybe take any spare time to cook a few things ahead of time and freeze them.

joanlife on June 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm
    • Excellent, wise advice by Joanlife! ^_^ I'm a Mother in Law, Grandmother and Great Grandmother. Be good to yourself and to the in-law relationship as was suggested. Cook and set aside/freeze some goodies. Maybe fix a small, thoughtful welcome basket of conveniences or treats which your hubby can fill you in on that his mom likes and surprise her…. Little thoughtful things are the building blocks to a good relationship and communication. I know.. Good luck and try to relax. :) <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 3, 2012 at 7:46 pm
    • Yellow brick? Glad to help. Go to the Sherwin-Williams Color Visualizer. It is a very good thing to have just when you have need of it.
      But I would go with a light mauve and stay away from the pink mauves and go with the grey mauves for a that goes well with yellow brick. For a third color for a little trim, go with a dark bottle green.
      It will all stand out together.

Hawkweed on June 10, 2012 at 5:46 pm
  5. Awe, technology! The things that we can do these days! However, this Instagram has images to be downloaded to Facebook or Twitter. I really don't want to download another app and I don't like Facebook anymore. It has gotten too full of trash. Too much noise. I do like Pinterest, (http://pinterest.com/ginkogecko/) however. Last year's Blog Cabin is there (http://pinterest.com/carlacb/diy-network-s-2011-blog-cabin-at-chesapeake-bay/), but not this year's. Can you put up some pictures on Pinterest?

paperdragon on June 2, 2012 at 8:30 pm
    • Great Idea!

minitoni on June 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm
  6. Mary, some of us are very uncomfortable with any new app downloads–besides, by doing the cell phone Instagram, you're essentially abandoning the Blog, aren't you? Why not stick with the original agreement/arrangement of the DIY Blog Cabin??? I only use my cell phone when I'm away from home, which is rarely. I have some physical challenges so I no longer gallivant around as I used to, and I don't think I'm alone on this issue. Technology is a wonderful thing, but using it with consistency would be a gift to any of us who may be scintillating in the world of our golden years…Please download your pictures to the blog instead or in addition to your Instagram. Don't leave us "Goldies" out! Thanks!xD;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 2, 2012 at 9:24 pm
    • I'm in total agreement with you on that Kitty!!!!! Pleast keep it on the Blog Cabin Threads Mary…..

Jennie/Florida on June 2, 2012 at 10:27 pm
    • Please!

Jennie/Florida on June 3, 2012 at 12:22 am
    • I agree Kitty, It was bad enough last year when we had to go to facebook to see what was happening. it's "Blog Cabin" not facebook cabin, or now "instagram cabin".. imo.

vicki_in_Utah on June 3, 2012 at 8:12 am
    • Vicki, I think Mary and DIY caught our message and fast! I have tried the link, http://www.Webstagram.com (now that link is noted up in her comments above) and it works right on the computer. We can view the same pictures, so we won't be left out. Hope you've found it already.xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 3, 2012 at 9:02 pm
    • Thank you Kitty I didn't see that little add on. The pix are great. Glad I don't have to go get a smart phone.

vicki_in_Utah on June 4, 2012 at 8:10 am
    • Me too! We are STILL TARGET MARKET, LEST DIY FORGET! Our generation is programmed to repair and re-purpose and not waste things. And we have the time and money to spend , 'cause our kids are moved out and gone. Let's never forget the GOLDIES!!! ;) :p^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 4, 2012 at 8:55 am
    • AGREE, AGREE wholeheartedly !!!!!! All it is is one more gimmick.

heaven-bound23 on June 3, 2012 at 7:30 pm
    • I agree Kitty!
      Hope you are feeling better,honey:)<3
      I use my phone to text family members and talk-that is it and at a minimum:( I frankly hate the cell phones-they are intrusion. Nice for emergencies but they have taken over real life:( What did we ever do before cell phones?
      I agree they need to stay with old tech. and also offer the rest if you so desire-but do not leave people out.
      Gob Bless stay dry!

ruffybc on June 4, 2012 at 8:25 am
    • Why thank you, Ruffy! I am getting better! Not sure about the neuropathy, which varies from body part to part, but my surgery is greatly improved–I can bite and chew soft food on the side…yum! :)

I use my phone as a communications necessity only and, do not live attached to it like a wart! I think it has internet,it takes pictures, I have sent and received rare text messages, I could download APPS? and games? Heavens to mergatroid how??? what would it cost me? But bottom line: the keys and face are so little I can't SEE what's on there clearly, so how can I read or follow the contents fast enough??? Drats! So I'm happy that Mary has acquiesced and given us Goldies a way through: I have tried the link, http://www.Webstagram.com (now that link is noted up in her comments above) === It WORKS!!! Great photos Enjoy!B);):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 4, 2012 at 9:12 am
    • I can't afford the data plans that the cell phone companies want for being able to get onto the internet via phone. It is just one more expense that doubles up. For those people that are on the road or out & about all the time I can see why these new phones would be great but I think DIY would be missing the boat big time on this one if they do the Instagram!! As many others have said before me. I will stick with my computer right here in my home and watch it rain from the window…. LOL Lots of flooding in Maine right now!!!

heaven-bound23 on June 4, 2012 at 11:43 am
    • Hi Heaven-bound! Mary DID take note of my Goldie and other's pleas yesterday and set us up a way to look at those pictures on our computer–no new apps nor purchases! Go to and click your mouse at: Webstagram.com and the pictures will be there under DIY's name! It's great! They're finally listening… Hope you enjoy! :) B):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 4, 2012 at 12:35 pm
  7. So your saying the house is all finished now inside? If so, can we have a peek to the guest room or other bedroom up stairs? Maybe the bath room? Any room up stairs!
    Thanks

home_girl on June 2, 2012 at 11:52 pm
  8. I'm another "Goldie" who only uses my cell phone when needed. So please bless us with some pictures on the Blog. Thank you.

cindy on June 3, 2012 at 12:16 am
  9. i am thinking there may be an assistant to help Mary keep up with the blogger demands–but this is not the way to do that, IMO—or is it because I do not own a Smartphone ?? BOOOOOOO…don't want to be forced into buying what i don't need………o.0

LLColeman on June 3, 2012 at 1:16 am
    • I'm right there with you, LL. I grew up up in a different age and never felt the need to be "in touch" 24/7, so I haven't bought into the "latest & greatest" in electronics.

DGustaf on June 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm
    • I love my kids, but I am getting a bit tired of seeing Instacr–p photos of whatever meal they ate–or mug of beer about to be enjoyed…..(.talk about 24/7 ! Just glad nobody is sending photos from the loo….) My 30- something kids live through their Instagram photos and their I phonies; DIY wants a hipper image,( but at what price ?)
      Well, now it is the next day, and above is an added link we can click to see these poor quality photos… I think I prefer Photo # 80 from the Time Lapse cam, distant as that may be…….
      Don, sometimes I think I am turning into a snippy old codger-ette, LOL ;) Hope your job is going well

LLColeman on June 4, 2012 at 1:32 am
    • I am with you guys! LL and Don. Only when needed:) I agree with the 24/7 and TMI
      I must just be boring?:) That is OK:)

ruffybc on June 4, 2012 at 8:27 am
    • Hi ruffy ! <3 <3<3

LLColeman on June 4, 2012 at 10:35 pm
  10. Seriously? Will there be a blog cabin option for this? To me this change would be more like App Cabin. Keep the same info on this site for for those that want to follow the process on our computers. Even I have a smartphone, I do not enjoy it.

AnneFinn on June 3, 2012 at 8:13 am
    • there is a link at the bottom of the paragraph that says webstagram and we can follow there.

minitoni on June 5, 2012 at 8:57 pm