May 21

Kitchen Crashers: Get the Sneak Peek

Kitchen Crashers at Blog Cabin 2012

Interior designer Alison Victoria and the Kitchen Crashers crew have completed work at Blog Cabin 2012. And what a job they’ve done! I took a look at some of the photos of the fully furnished room. It’s unbelievable — industrial chic meets rustic New England. The room’s showstopper is a dining table fashioned from reclaimed materials. And bravo on your selection of stainless steel backsplash tile, a fitting choice in this particular room.

I’d like to remind you to keep voting for your favorite Cabin Comforts and return each day to enter the Cabin Comforts Giveaway. You could win the exact same gift set we shower on the winner of Blog Cabin 2012 — a potential retail value of $600!

1. Do you sound like a Grandmother? Not at all!! I agree with everything you said; who ever wins Blog Cabin will be truly blessed.

CabinHopeful on May 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm
  2. Mary Thank You for the exciting news! I luv me some rustic design & finishes! I know I will love industrial chic meets rustic New England. Sounds like this kitchen will have the modern conviences a cook needs with plenty of character & charm thrown in.

Great pic of Grundy & Alison, looks like Grundy is showing Alison what they'll be eating for dinner and she is saying, "I'll take two!"
    Great JOB to everyone working so hard on Blog House Maine–looking and sounding Amazing!!

Mel on May 21, 2012 at 5:07 pm
  3. That poor front yard, with all the trucks on it, Jason will have his job cut out for him. Glad they are saving him until last.

vicki_in_Utah on May 21, 2012 at 5:14 pm
    • I thought Matty B was moving to Yard crashers? Oh please, I NEED my dose of Matt! that little cutey…shhhh don't tell the hubs!;)

maria_w_in_nj on May 25, 2012 at 7:02 am
  4. I really don't know what 'Industrial chic' has to do with renovating a rural farm house in coastal Maine while keeping true to its roots, rural setting and history. Sounds like some random phrase generator at work. Industrial chic, if there really is such a thing, should be confined to repurposing old, disused warehouses and factories in city heartlends where it belongs.

What about rural elegance mixed with some practicality such as views from upstairs, indoor acess to the cellar, alternative heat source not dependent on fossil fuel and electricity and Universal Design concepts as a theme?

However, Mary does describe it as 'unbelieveable' which is exactly how I see it. I can't believe they have ruined a great property with crazy design gimmicks.

Sally on May 21, 2012 at 5:25 pm
    • I totally agree with your first two paragraphs, but what are the design gimmicks you see?

ksmort9 on May 21, 2012 at 6:56 pm
    • Sally there really is a design style called industrial chic and I love it! It is a unique mixing of materials, usually metal with wood. Some designers consider stone & brick industrial, so you might see those materials used as well. The dining table Mary mentioned might be made of old barn wood and metal, this material combination would make the table industrial chic. An antique nesting box from an old farmhouse makes beautiful simple storage and would be considered industrial chic/rustic. I am super excited to see this style of kitchen, it's a design style that borrows heavily from farmhouse antiques, and the repurposing of items.
      I do wish this home was more "green" and hope when we see the finished product there's more universal design than prior years of blog cabin.

Mel on May 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm
    • Thanks Mel. I know what 'industrial chic' is but I'm not fond of the term. It's just a newfangled way to say repurposing of mixed materials and has been around for thousands of years. Here it's being used to justify the stainless steel backsplash which IMO is inappropriate for this house. However, voters (most with no idea of appropriate style for this house) chose these options and have created a suburban subdivision home in rural Maine. From exterior color to lack of appropriate function, to creating an expensive outdoor area which will only be properly used from Memorial to Labor Day. It's no big deal. The eventual owner can keep it as a summer vacation home or alter it if they have considerable funds to do so. The more important thing (IMO again) will be to make it functional as a home for all seasons and not a show home created for the various HGTV designers to show off their skill sets. The strong probability is that the winner will want to sell immediately (as all but one has in the past). I believe that with the many eclectic design features and lack of functionality appropriate to the region the house will not sell fast or for a price anything close to the ARV it will carry.

Sally on May 22, 2012 at 12:19 pm
    • Most places around here that are for sale (quite a few of them) have been on the market for at least 2 years. Of course this house will have its own unique appeal.

Camac on May 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm
    • I know what you mean, Sally, and the structural issues will be tough to change…I do hold a lot of hope that Victoria will ease some of the edgy suburban effects with her interior decor.

LLColeman on May 23, 2012 at 2:46 am
    • Sally these are good points. I do believe the blog cabin concept is more about the shows, pleasing the sponsors, selling tools and the materials needed to install —–( insert whatever you saw on the shows that you now want done in your own home) than the winner having the perfect house.

I do think the kitchen decor this year will be more to my liking! Lucky me—just means I will be more sad when I don't win :)

Mel on May 23, 2012 at 7:08 am
    • Yay, for "design gimmicks!” All design, art, decoration is an illusion to create an idea, a vision for the viewer. The use of color, texture, pattern and forms are used as an end to promote that illusion. There is a present day slant to good decorating and design that makes it look fresh and in the present day. Just look back at some old movies, like the 1934 movie Cleopatra ,http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024991/ for instance, with Claudette Colbert and compare it with the 1963 version with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056937/. The two film ideas of what is Egyptian is very different from each other, but not very accurate, because it is for the audience. The end result is great! Even in films that try to recreate historical events, there is some sense of contemporary ideals that is still there. The look may appear "period", but if the designers and decorators were to stick to that "old farm house" objects in this project when designing and decorating, the end result might look too oppressive and heavy. "Industrial Chic", is just that, the look of early century industrialism paired with contemporary feel. Old with the new, the past with the present is what will make this project look “great.”

paperdragon on May 22, 2012 at 11:54 am
    • So well said Paperdragon!!
      I'm really looking forward to seeing these design elements come together.

I find it thrilling to know how "open" the kitchen, dining room, living room and foyer are to each other. Might we see a little of industrial chic meets New England rustic throughout these spaces? I can't help but feel that to some degree this open space will visually blend. I can't imagine Victoria going overboard with any one look, but I do look forward seeing just a bit of industrial chic meets rustic New Engalnd throughout this open space.

Mel on May 27, 2012 at 9:16 am
    • Wow Sally, can't wait to see which is a better fit for the Blog Cabin– "industrial chic" or "rural elegance." Either way, I'm sure we'll like it.

Lessie on May 26, 2012 at 10:43 pm
  5. Yup

ksmort9 on May 21, 2012 at 6:54 pm
  6. Ay yah, all the plaid flannel work shirts scream MAINE!!! I'm glad some things never change. New Englander men love plaid shirts, jeans, and workboots. Not to mention cold beer, lobstah, clams steamed with fresh corn on the cob, Boaton baked beans, Mom's hot apple pie with a scoop of Ben and Jerry's. ice cream.
    Yep, that's Maine.

AnneEliseSouth on May 21, 2012 at 7:27 pm
    • You are so right!! What a fabulous life style and way of living..

Flashy on May 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm
    • Chris looks a little out of place with out a plade shirt. Someone needs to go get him one..LOL

vicki_in_Utah on May 22, 2012 at 8:37 am
    • Well, there are really lots of Maines, and that one might be a little oversimplified!

basincrew on May 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm
    • Of course you are correct. It's just the way I like to remember Mainers. My earliest memories of Maine were when I was a child was riding the Maine turnpike on our way to visit grandparents in New Brunswick. Back then the road was 2 lanes, and very rough and winding. We kids filled everry empty spot in the car.
      One year we had car trouble, and found Maine natives to be very kind. The mechanic not only found us a motel, but drove us there and back again when the repairs were done.
      Actually my description of plaid shirts etc. really suits a lot of NH, Vermont, and northern MA men too. Why do you think LL Bean is headquartered in Maine? LOL

AnneEliseSouth on May 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm
    • LL Bean is headquartered in Maine because Leon Bean that started the company wanted it to always stay true to it's roots, THAT IS WHY THEY ARE IN MAINE!!!! again nothing to do with plaid shirts…..

heaven-bound23 on May 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm
    • And it was a shoe factory to begin with, not a clothing or outfitters.

Windsmurf on May 23, 2012 at 1:08 pm
    • Just kidding about LL Bean, thanks for educating me, could you lighten up a little bit? This blog is supposed to be fun. I didn't mean anything negative.

AnneEliseSouth on May 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm
    • But you were being negative and condescending if you ask me!!! Yes, it is fun but not when you put out such negative persona of something you do not know what you are talking about!! So why say it?? it is comments like that that do not make it fun anymore. Words are very hurtful and once said you can't take them back so why not think how that is going to be perceived before you say it!!! Your overall comments between both have just a negative tone to them about Maine and the people of Maine.

heaven-bound23 on May 23, 2012 at 10:22 pm
    • She was ABSOLUTELY NOT BEING NEGATIVE AND CONDESCENDING.YOU are the one not making it fun. Doubt you are Heaven bound, either.

Lea on May 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm
    • Sorry AES, I was just adding a bit of trivia that I happen to know about first hand. My father in law lived in Freeport (the location of the original LL Bean factory turned store) and we spent quite a bit of time there before it became the outlet heaven it is now. As for the great flannel shirt controversy, no one likes to be categorized in any way based on where they happen to live or the type of shirt they wear. Flannel is a practical material to wear in cooler climates and it makes for great sheets in the winter:p, wherever you live.

Windsmurf on May 25, 2012 at 10:06 am
    • Windsmurf, my comment was intended for heavenbound, I must have placed it in the wrong spot, sorry for the mixup.
      I found the LL Bean background interesting. Looks to me like a little Yankee ingenuity was used to keep the store up with the changing times. Sad also that I don't think America manufactures footwear anymore.
      I surely didn't mean to categorize anyone, but look at the posted photos. half of the people shown are wearing the aforementioned shirts, and that's how I remember New England carpenters, plumbers, tradesmen in general dressing for work in the winter. I worked for years as an Electronic/Electrical Assembler, and always kept a flannel shirt at my workbench in the winter. I was making an observation backed up by personal experience having lived for 58 yrs. in New England, as a tradesperson myself.

AnneEliseSouth on May 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm
    • Thank you Windsmurf for understanding. It had nothing to do with plaid. Yes, I agree with the flannel it is great :)

heaven-bound23 on May 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm
    • All I can say is that I have lived in Maine most of my life and Maine is sooooooo much more then plaid shirts!!! My husband doesn't even wear them at all so not sure why you think that plaid shirts scream Maine…

heaven-bound23 on May 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm
    • I'm sorry if people are offended by my statement about plaid shirts. I love them, I was born in New England, and my family wore them, and looked good doing so. I don't know how wearing plaid flannel shirts is demeaning or offensive. To me it's homey, comforting, and a New England thing. My statement was meant to be light hearted, not in any way condescending or offensive.

AnneEliseSouth on May 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm
    • In the years I have been reading your posts, Anne Elise, I have not found you to make offensive or demeaning comments.

LLColeman on May 23, 2012 at 2:50 am
    • Thank you LL. I grew up in a different time, and obviously my age makes me quite ignorant as to what is "politically incorrect" in today's world.

AnneEliseSouth on May 23, 2012 at 2:13 pm
    • You are not ignorant. PC rules are a moving target, and somehow you ended up in the crosshairs because…? I can find no because as your statement was not offensive, nor demeaning.

Debra G. on May 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm
    • Sorry back at you,AES. I did not take your statement as offensive. I just think there are many people who do not live in Maine who have this picture in their head of Mainers as you described. And while there are some Mainers like that, there are as many other Mainers very different from that description as there would be anywhere else. I guess the point is it's tough to generalize about any group of people!

basincrew on May 23, 2012 at 9:47 am
    • It is all in how your words are perceived!! People can have the best intentions but if that is not how it is perceived

heaven-bound23 on May 23, 2012 at 10:27 pm
  7. Thanks Mary for the pictures, I enjoy seeing the kitchen getting worked on. Everything looks like it's coming a long fine, I even see some white cabinets in the kitchen, I like that. Can't wait to see what the rest of it will look like.
    Table sound interesting can't wait to see that too.

home_girl on May 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm
  8. ~ Beautiful Spring Days. Can't wait to sit in a hammock, enjoying a cool summer night, smelling the clean fresh Maine country air. Then go out at night and listen to the sounds of the crickets and gaze at the clear evening sky looking at all the beautiful stars dancing in the night. Thank you DIY. <3<3<3 ~

SuziQ523 on May 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm
    • I'm trapped in a city. Sounds wonderful with a martini, though, and some of those great outdoor 'candleholders' on the market this summer. Terrific. I want a house just to have a porch to have those candle holders. I'm sure Linda will include lots of them.
      Does Linda Woodrum do the interior for the blog cabin, too?

absolutejn on May 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm
    • Hi…absolutejn…Linda isn't the designer for the Blog Cabin.. She does D/H and G/H…Victoria Lasser is the Designer for this Blog Cabin…There is a thread about Victoria…April 30th titled A conversation with Victoria Lesser…. and has a picture of her and two of her dogs talking to Marcus…Tells you a little bit about her, if your interested….

Jennie/Florida on May 27, 2012 at 10:00 pm
  9. I've been thinking that – thanks for saying it!

MJCBS on May 21, 2012 at 9:22 pm
  10. Thank you Mary for the sneak peek….it is always SO exciting to see new pictures and all the activity going on. It is amazing to me how fast the crews get the job done …amazing that kitchen crashers is done already…it seemed like yesterday that they started: so, A+ to Alison Victoria and A+ to Chris Grundy and the Kitchen Crashers for such expeditious great job done! It is also so exciting the way the old becomes new at all Blog Cabins and this year a dining table fashioned from reclaimed materials…it sounds great! The anticipation for the reveal grows stronger with your updates Mary….Thank you for keeping us posted!:)

FLH on May 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm