May 16

Tag Along With Chris Grundy

Have you seen the quickie vlogs Chris Grundy has been filming at Blog Cabin 2012? If not, please pop over to the DIY Network Facebook page to join in the lobster bake and meet Alison Victoria from the Kitchen Crashers crew (onsite as we speak, beautifying the heart of this midcoast Maine home).

On a completely different note, I noticed a conversation brewing about basement access. A very secure exterior door offers the only access to this storage space. Take a look:

Blog Cabin 2012 basement access

• Posted at 11:36 am on May 5, 2012

1. There is light in the basement. I noticed tonight on the way by that the lights had been left on down there (visible through the basement windows).

Camac on May 20, 2012 at 11:48 pm
    • Very interesting…thanks Camac

vicki_in_Utah on May 21, 2012 at 9:00 am
    • That's probably for the guy who is still nailed into that very secure storage space.;)

Windsmurf on May 21, 2012 at 10:53 am
    • LOL..LOL..Windsmurf..that was a good one.

vicki_in_Utah on May 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm
    • Hi Windsmurf, I wonder if the guy has a cell phone so he can call out and let us know what is going on down there and if he sees stairs going up to the ground floor!!!
      Sorry I couldn't resist……….

Jennie/Florida on May 21, 2012 at 5:50 pm
  2. On Friday I was out looking at basement doors myself. As soon as my foundation walls are up I have to get a framer in to frame up my walk-out wall and cap the foundation. That means I need to have the access door/s set.
    I am concerned about the vulnerability to the outside world in a space not well monitored. I looked at pretty, although fiberglass, double doors with windows and solid ones. The ones I looked at didn't allow for storm doors or screen doors, either. I can see on a warm summer day wanting to open up that basement space for a party and having screens there would be great and I don't want screen panels.
    Too many decisions…not finding quite the right solution for me.

girlbuildshouse on May 21, 2012 at 9:15 am
  3. I'm guessing that the new owner will want to do some modifications!

Nebraska on May 21, 2012 at 10:45 am
  4. Good Monday Morning dear Mary!!! First I have to say, I can't speak for everyone else, but I am totally confused as to your comment above….Are you really saying their is NO stairs leading down to the basement from the inside of this Very Expensive remodel? Or are you saying there is only one excess
    door from the outside leading to maybe a small storage area that has been blocked off from the rest of the cellar/basement??? If the whole cellar is to be storage, how can the new owners get through that little cubby hole, to put a freezer or store lawn furniture or what ever else they need to store? If the whole basement is cut off from the upstairs, that is a third floor wasted JMO. It will be difficult for the new owners to have excess to the heating system during blizzards, incase of an outage.The basement was a big plus to me, all the photos i've seen of the basement showed it was well built
    and in very good condition and roomy…If it is cut off completely from the upstairs, that would be very sad…
    Mary would you please answer this big question for all of us Bloggers who care so much for this Old Farmhouse??? Please solve this mystery for us so we can go on to other subjects…….

Jennie/Florida on May 21, 2012 at 11:36 am
  5. Boy Mary, if you thought you were giving us info to settle us down regarding the basement access you need to think again. I think you just poked a big hornets nest! I still love the house, but I'm a bit confused about this being the only way to the basement. I guess I'll worry about it when I win the house.

SweetLiz on May 21, 2012 at 12:24 pm
  6. What steps and small basement door at the back? There is a small window for the basement on the north side, but I don't think there is any basement access in the north west corner (hot tub is in that corner).

Camac on May 21, 2012 at 10:20 pm
  7. Hi home_girl. Where are you seeing steps from the rear deck close to the cellar entrance? I can't ever remember seeing them on a drawing or photo so I tried to check but I can't find them. They're not marked on the after plans nor on the plans you see in the videos of the renovations. Maybe I'm missing them or not looking in the correct place? The cabin cam images don't show any and it's a good 4-5ft drop from the deck to the ground by that door so they would need steps if they wanted you to go that way. :)
    Please post a link if you can.

AnniesOwn on May 22, 2012 at 4:00 pm

If you look at the deck choice at bottom of page, looks like steps on each end of the deck. Will looks like steps to me. I could be wrong about the drawing, just that they looks like steps. I just thought it was nice of them to put steps over there too make it easy for owner to get to that end of the house. Maybe they changed their minds, seem they do that a lot.
      If you look at back cam looks like steps are in middle of the deck now, maybe they moved them there and put the AC unit where stairs was suppose to go. I was hoping that they are still in both places that's all.

home_girl on May 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm
    • OK, I see where you are getting the steps idea from. Unfortunately, those images are completely unreliable and really just to give people an idea of the curve opposed to the box shape for the deck. The actual plans never showed steps. It's just an image grabbed from a quick 'CAD' drawing.

It can be very confusing and you need to be very careful to check exactly what the wording says on all these options. Often people think they're voting for a design or color only to disiover they were really voting for something else. As an example, the images on that same page show the winning deck color scheme as two tone. In the image it's shown as a light and dark brown, very nice I think. However, from what I can see of the time-lapse images and little bits of the deck in other photos the deck is two tones of gray with brown seating around it. o.0

AnniesOwn on May 22, 2012 at 6:22 pm
    • I see, just hoping I guess for an easier way to basement, without inside stairs.

I know a lot of the questions are tricky, wording is tricky too. Most don't say color so half the time you think it's the color too. Surprise!!!!!!

home_girl on May 23, 2012 at 1:10 am
  8. Not too keen on this basement entrance. Doesn't really seem like the most practical way to access the basement. I know that if I were to store things down there I would never go get them based on the fact that I am too lazy to go outside and crawl through such a small space and then back out again. Just sayin.

Painter NB on May 30, 2012 at 10:48 am
    • It may be inconvenient but it might have been their only choice in such a limited timeframe. Now if there isn't any stairs then I will agree that it is just plain stupid. Without easy access, the space will never get used.

Andy Foundation on May 30, 2012 at 10:50 am
    • Used to have stairs. These were removed and not replaced. There is no internal access to the house mechanicals during outages and break-downs, except from this small, outer, inconvenient and poorly accessible entrance! Dreadful planning in a State known for its vigorous storms, both rain and snow. I absolutely don't know what they were thinking!o.0:(=/ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm