May 16

Tag Along With Chris Grundy

Have you seen the quickie vlogs Chris Grundy has been filming at Blog Cabin 2012? If not, please pop over to the DIY Network Facebook page to join in the lobster bake and meet Alison Victoria from the Kitchen Crashers crew (onsite as we speak, beautifying the heart of this midcoast Maine home).

Blog Cabin 2012 basement access

• Posted at 11:36 am on May 5, 2012

1. I understood Mary to mean, that there was only one outside way to get to the basement. Not the Only way to get to the basement. That the owner still can go to the basement from inside the house. Hope she answeres again and clears this up.

vicki_in_Utah on May 16, 2012 at 6:23 pm
    • "A very secure exterior door offers the only access to this storage space."

Only access go this storage space.

Jeff on May 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm
    • "A very secure exterior door offers the only access to this storage space." It is clear she means the only way to get into the basement is through this exterior "door".

Mainah on May 18, 2012 at 11:10 pm
    • Maybe Mary should try doing this then. She can then let us know how well it can be accomplished.

moon_lady on May 20, 2012 at 8:58 am
  2. I think it is better to have a vacation home in Maine with some bad design decisions, than not to have a vacation home in Maine. For me, I wouldn't be there in the winter anyway so the snow can just pile up against that "very secured" door for all I care.

ksmort9 on May 16, 2012 at 6:43 pm
    • You must be VERY rich. :)

Jeff on May 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm
    • No, I just think I am…. lol

ksmort9 on May 17, 2012 at 1:18 pm
    • lol–I had to give you a thumbs up for that, ksmort !

LLColeman on May 18, 2012 at 12:33 am
  3. And Mary thought a conversation was brewing about basement access before this post!

Pennsy on May 16, 2012 at 8:12 pm
    • Thanks for bringing a smile to my face!

peachdoctor on May 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm
  4. How do get in there if you are 6'4 and wearing a winter jacket? Great spot for candid camera.

AnneFinn on May 16, 2012 at 9:01 pm
    • Veeerrrrryy carefully;)

Windsmurf on May 17, 2012 at 1:17 pm
    • Depends on the color of the winter jacket.

Jeff on May 18, 2012 at 8:59 am
  5. Thank you so much Chris Grundy for showing us the mouthwatering lobster bake ….wow…just too bad we can not taste it on this side of the pond! Sure the winner will enjoy all those mouthwatering lobsters!
    Now….Alyson Victoria it is your turn to shine…can't wait to see the marvelous kitchen you will bring about…we trust your expertees on kitchen design!
    Thank you, Mary so much for showing the picture of the access door to the basement…it will be the perfect place to hide in case any East TN tornadoes show up in Maine for a change….
    Yet, thank you Mary for keeping us posted so frequently now….it makes the thrill of anticipation for the reveal to be even greater every time you post another update….We appreciate you !

FLH on May 16, 2012 at 9:44 pm
  6. Hi All, From what I saw of the pictures, there IS inside basement access. It's right under the stairs.

PatriciaAnn on May 16, 2012 at 9:52 pm
    • Hi PatriciaAnn! Victoria clearly states above the photo: On a completely different note, I noticed a conversation brewing about basement access. A very secure exterior door offers the only access to this storage space. Take a look:

So, no, there is no inside access unfortunately and the outside access leaves something to be desired.

UsContessa on May 16, 2012 at 10:20 pm
    • Correction: Mary states this!

UsContessa on May 16, 2012 at 10:21 pm
    • The picture that you saw, I'm assuming, is from the original house design. Mary's statement basically tells us that it is no more

NEGirl on May 17, 2012 at 9:17 am
    • The orginal house design had a basement door inside the home, just under the double stairway.
      That is long gone and now you can only get to the basement through a 3 foot high door.
      One will have to hire a Hobbit to get anything done in the basement.lol

Hawkweed on May 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm
    • I say, let's add a trap door and rope ladder–put the Adventure and Romance back into the BC.

LLColeman on May 18, 2012 at 12:36 am
    • Hi All, I just went back to the May 3 blog and clicked on the pictures. The one I was referring to is Photo # 7. It is very hard to see but I think (although not positively) that the basement inside staircase is or will be under the main floor stairs. The nook they referenced appears to me to be under the right side of the stairs.
      I will tell you that I had my architect husband look at the pictures and plans and he agrees with you. Time will tell :)
      Wouldn't it be niceif they would just answer this clearly instead of so many thinking bad thoughts about a hobbit or dwarf door. If you are right, that would be the most irresponsible building decision I have ever seen.

PatriciaAnn on May 17, 2012 at 8:19 pm
    • I just went and copied the photo and blew it up to see detail.
      As you all have stated, it DOES LOOK LIKE there is NO INSIDE STAIRS.
      I hope I'm wrong about this. Between snow storms, rain storms and power outages, etc. it is beyond unthinkable that there is no access to the basement except a very dangerous outside inaccessible to most rabbit hole of a door. Please tell me I am wrong.

PatriciaAnn on May 18, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    • Trust me PatriciaAnn we all wish we didn't have to start taking yoga now so we can maneuver ourselves into this Alice in Wonderland Door. Maybe they will have a teacup with the shrinking potion available :)

UsContessa on May 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm
    • My husband would have to go down there to get pumps and such going again, and believe me, he is not a hobbit. He is not large either but we have a small crawl space under our house now and he HATES it whenever he has to go down there. Lighting is always a problem. Even with several bulbs all over down there, shadows are always cast and it just is not condusive to any job having to be done.

moon_lady on May 20, 2012 at 9:05 am
  7. Well….let me also add that the winner can possibly build an access door to the basement from the inside of the home…DIY is already giving the winner SO much, so it should not be an issue for the winner to gratefully take on this project and even learn with the Knickerbocker group how to go around this issue creatively and respecting the structure of the house to ensure that there is an access door to the basement from the inside of the home. DIY is already giving all this magnificent home away. Surely the winner will be thankful for receiving this huge prize, will be so taken by all that has been done and will not complain about anything!

FLH on May 16, 2012 at 9:54 pm
    • Please don't mis-interpret our (hopefully) constructive criticisms for greedy whining. Absolutely any one of us, were we to win, would be highly appreciative of the prize. But we were invited by DIY Blog Cabin to provide ideas and comments and so we have. It is very frustrating when some easily accomplished good ideas are ignored and seemingly bad decisions are made. That's all that is going on here.

Windsmurf on May 17, 2012 at 1:24 pm
    • Thank you Windsmurf for sharing your concerns with me. I agree with you 100% about being free to make constructive criticisms, sharing ideas and comments with the DIY Blog Cabin and I firmly believe they are extremely open to welcome and receive such with open minded hearts. My concern sometimes as I read some posts is that instead of encouraging them in what is their expertee already, some comments would discourage them in the decisions they have all the right to make since they are the ones giving the prize. My concern is much more on how we share our constructive ideas and how we exoress ourselves to them in a way that is loving and encouraging…how we say things normally counts more at times than what we say. I did not mean at all that there is a "greedy whinning" going on, so please forgive me for hurting your feelings. I do understand how you might feel if your good ideas seem ignored and that it may feel frustrating to you. But they are looking at the big picture and surely have a good reason to make the decisions they make. Thank you again!

FLH on May 18, 2012 at 11:55 am
  8. I was thinking the same thing. Kudos if you can afford your own home and a vacant 35 acre vacation home. That would be awesome.

UsContessa on May 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm
    • Not sure what happened. This was a reply to Jeff and Ksmort9 but ended up a solo here.

UsContessa on May 16, 2012 at 10:27 pm
  9. I truly hope they offer a cash prize in lieu of the house this year. Some of the design decisions I have seen would make it difficult to sell, if one can't afford to keep the house! Just expressing my opinion.

EdinOregon on May 17, 2012 at 1:24 am
    • Yes. Cash option please.

I am sure they will put an extremely high sweepstakes value on the house.
      I would be concerned about being able to sell it for the cost of the taxes due to the government.
      Would be a risk, with a possible loss.

Jeff on May 19, 2012 at 7:48 pm
    • Definitely! The government will get their share. Even if one can't sell the place!

EdinOregon on May 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm
  10. As long as you are not accessing the basement a lot, i guess the door would be ok. But for me, I would have to have easy access and that means from inside the home. But maybe they couldn't afford that improvement?

Lynn Brown on May 17, 2012 at 1:32 am
    • The inside access to the basement was there to begin with, they went to the expense of tearing it out:S

Windsmurf on May 17, 2012 at 1:26 pm