May 14

The Crashing Continues: Get the Update

Blog Cabin 2012 Yard Crashers and House CrashersClockwise from top left: Herringbone-pattern hardwood flooring installation; Josh Temple, Chris Grundy and Trey Wheeler with Victoria Lesser; paver patio installation; deck installation, Matt Blashaw and Chris Grundy, outdoor fireplace installation.

Both the House Crashers and Yard Crashers crews have descended upon Blog Cabin 2012. The transformation is unbelievable!

Josh Temple and his team, along with decorator Victoria Lesser, worked wonders in the living room. I am stunned by photos of the entryway flooring in an exquisite herringbone pattern selected during the People’s Choice vote.

And the backyard is destined to be my all-time favorite Blog Cabin outdoor space. The fireplace, the patio and that deck … the winner will never want to leave the confines of this cozy retreat. Matt Blashaw and his team were champs for powering through the cold, rainy weather to complete their part of the Blog Cabin 2012 project.

I hope you enjoy these candid snaps. Keep checking back here for more updates and funny pics!

• Posted at 12:41 pm on May 5, 2012

1. Great update mary. Love the pics. I can hardly wait to see the patio. Those guys are so big I think one of them could have lifted tiny Victoria.

Flashy on May 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm
  2. I can hardly stand it! The suspense is killing me!!!!!

Linda on May 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm
  3. So excited by all the progress… everything looks AMAZING! We can hardly stand that we have to wait until August to start registering to win!!! Keep us posted Mary and thanks for all you do.

StraightA's on May 14, 2012 at 2:46 pm
  4. Thanks Mary!!, So Matt and Chris, are the two of you hiding a dog house, or maybe a house for young children to play in?
    The deck is looking good. Can't wait to use it!

chrisA on May 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm
  5. Actually I was swept off my feet by these guys…they did such an amazing job…More to be revealed, stay tuned xoxo Victoria

Victoria Lesser on May 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm
    • Hi Victoria! How's Baker–a good, big boy now? Love to see a picture! Looking forward to seeing the wonders you spin in my dear State of Maine! Many happy thoughts! xD;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 14, 2012 at 4:17 pm
    • When you said swept off your feet, you really meant it! ! You sure are a good sport, but what girl wouldn't want to be swept off her feet by such talented men.
      We all can't waiit to see the results after all the magic has been worked.

AnneEliseSouth on May 14, 2012 at 6:30 pm
    • Victoria, is this how you're getting around at the blog house? Picked up, and carried around by three good looking DIY men, Josh, Grundy & Wheels? —YOU GO GIRL!! LOL—Best pic this year!

I know Wheels usually works on House Crashers, but I have him seen on Yard Crashers too. Since the two shows were filmed so close together, any chance he worked on both shows? Also, does anyone else think Josh Temple looks like the actor Tom Cavanagh?

Mel on May 14, 2012 at 6:39 pm
    • Mel–Josh really resembles Cavanaugh in this shot !

LLColeman on May 15, 2012 at 3:01 am
    • LL, I think they could pass as brothers.

I wonder if Josh has ever been told this, or if Tom Cavanagh has ever been asked by a stranger in a home improvement store if he will come home & crash their house?

Mel on May 15, 2012 at 8:10 pm
    • That's a great photo, Victoria !

LLColeman on May 15, 2012 at 3:05 am
    • From photos above, it looks like they were not working on 'Yard Crashers' as much as they were on a project for "Muck'n'Mud Crashers"…LOL

LLColeman on May 16, 2012 at 2:19 am
    • Great Photos, Victoria! It looks like you are in good hands. I can't wait to see what you do with this house!! That Herringbone floor will look amazing in the entry. Is it that light tone that is in the vote image? If so, does that give us a clue to the decor tone of the rest of the house?

paperdragon on May 15, 2012 at 2:57 pm
  6. That's the plan, making it a home, a retreat, a place to keep

PFG on May 14, 2012 at 3:30 pm
  7. Ah kind of sad – I miss Dean & Derek and Ahmed.

Nebraska on May 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm
    • it's looking good, but you're right–me too…<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm
    • Nebraska I knew the BC back yard would end up Beautiful, and that view!
      The BC episode of Yard Crashers will be Bittersweet, 'cause Ahmed is Yard Crashers to me, and can't be replaced. I miss Dean & Derek too, the big stone fireplace reminds me our special DIY stone guys.

Mel on May 14, 2012 at 7:04 pm
    • I am sad, too !! Maybe A & E network will do a show with all that talent !

LLColeman on May 15, 2012 at 3:03 am
    • Nebraska, this Thursday may 17, there is going to be a marathon of Indoors Out… I am planning on watching it, I miss them too.

vicki_in_Utah on May 15, 2012 at 9:38 am
    • Thanks Vicki, I'm going to set my DVR :)

Here's a short video of Dean & Derek, and Matty Blah Blah at last years blog cabin, so much Fun to watch, I loved this back yard http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/construction-mem

Mel on May 15, 2012 at 7:30 pm
  8. Yep, the cat's out of the bag. Looks like Matt and Chris are definitely trying to stay out of the dog house. Either that or it's a pint-sized last minute addition to the Blog Cabin — not quite big enough to be a real live man cave.

DBCoop on May 14, 2012 at 5:41 pm
    • Aha, finally a dog house for the not so petite but still so sweet dog. If indeed it is a canine cabin, Maggie will fit in this one. At a svelt 85 lbs, not just any house will do.
      But, wait a minute, hold the phone, Maggie just reminded me that she is not an "outside" dog , has never been, and will never be an "outside" dog, especially in Maine. She wants an indoor house like the Serenbe dog house, or the Midway dog house.
      Well, if she's going to boycott the outside dog house, we'll have to go to plan B, and put chickens in it. lol

AnneEliseSouth on May 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm
    • :) LOL! Coop! The way I see it, the door to the small house may just be big enough for a couple small children to play in…I hope so! No pet of mine will live outside. That's not to say that my Grandson and Great Grand Daughter live outside either–But that would be a dream playhouse for them for a brief while….;)xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 15, 2012 at 11:13 am
  9. Mary the up dates are looking nice, thanks for sharing the pictures. I like checking the back grounds to see what new, without you giving away the whole picture.
    What is that, the old barn shed wood on the living room wall? Stairs are looking nice with the railings on. Still think a little window on stair landing would look nice and let in a little light there.
    Not sure if I like the 2 trees so close to the house, would grow and be trouble later on (Roots, hitting the house etc.). Beside I think that side of the house have nice shade trees all ready and don't really need them there. Even if they do look good or not would be trouble if new ower wants to put in a carport there later on. If you wanted more trees around the house area, why not fruit trees.
    I like the wood floor color in the mud room, looks like it's all coming togather nicely.

home_girl on May 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm
    • home_girl,

Looking at the picture above, I was also wondering if the evergreen trees where to close to the house or not.
      Hard to tell in the picture.
      Have you walked by the house to see them in person? How close are they? I would want at least 15 feet to allow for growth.

Sure wish you would post more recent pictures on your website!

Thanks

Jeff on May 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm
    • home_girl,

I think they planted the trees for privacy. To block the brick patio/fireplace/deck from the road, and neighbor. Good idea, except they should have used a different type of evergreen tree.

No shade would be provided as this is the north side of house.

I would have placed that outstanding fireplace further from the house. Maybe way back up on the hill, by the water.

Jeff on May 14, 2012 at 10:09 pm
    • The evergreen trees are at the northeast corner of the house between the fireplace and the house and they sort of screen the hot tub. The building in the background is the barn across the street.

Camac on May 15, 2012 at 12:07 am
    • camac are the trees as close to the house as they look in the picture? Is the hot tub that close to the house too? is it near the rock pile we saw in the pictures or is the hot tub part of those rocks.?

home_girl on May 15, 2012 at 12:25 am
    • the hot tub is directly behind the Northeast corner of the house – probably about 4 feet behind the kitchen wall. You can't see it from the road and the evergreens are visible from the road.

Camac on May 15, 2012 at 1:07 am
    • Thanks Camac, if it not seen from the road then why didn't they use a pretty bush or flowering bush/plant there. Would of put some color there but would not be over bearing like trees, and still give some cover to the hot tub.
      Just saying…

home_girl on May 15, 2012 at 9:55 am
    • I agree with you, Home_Girl! They could have also layered the bush/plants so there could be colorful flowers in Spring, a 2nd tier of floral color in Summer and even some Fall leaf color would be nice. I've been straining my eyes to see white birch and blue spruce anywhere on the land, but haven't found any–did you notice when there? Your input and pictures have been wonderful additions to our BC Blog!!! Thanks! B):p

I also want to congratulate you on your Children's books, set in Maine; and your exquisite dolls, Reborns, American Girl, etc. You are quite an artist and SO talented–WOW! xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 15, 2012 at 11:05 am
    • Thanks Kitty, I like sewing and that way I can share it with others. I alway wanted to write books, I was told I was a good story teller growing up, one thing telling them another is putting it on paper. I had them self published but would love to get them into a real publisher hand.
      I'll have to take island mouse to the farm to visit his country cousins…

I like that idea too, love flowers all year round. They could even put up a nice lattice trellis there with flowers to give it some privacy, if that's what they was hoping for.

home_girl on May 15, 2012 at 11:45 am
    • The trellis you suggest is one of the countless suggestions we have made since last Fall. I suggested a pavilion down nearer the water with set-up for cooking, sink for cleaning up, outdoor shower, storage for fishing/clamming equipment, fireplace, etc. At least they built the fireplace, but nothing next to the waterfront so far. Very disappointed there is no fireplace inside the house! Sigh…:|<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 16, 2012 at 7:23 pm
  10. My two little ankle bitters (Yorkies, who weigh 5 # together) would get lost in that dog mansion..LOL.. The stairway behind Victoria looks really nice. I hope they don't get rid of that big tree by the dog house.

vicki_in_Utah on May 14, 2012 at 9:29 pm