May 8

Crashing Blog Cabin 2012

Blog Cabin 2012 renovation

Mega Dens has made its mark on Blog Cabin 2012 — wait till you see the family room! Matt Muenster and his Bath Crashers crew worked wonders in the master suite last week. I am stunned by photos of the handcrafted bed and spa-style bathroom. And as I jot this note, the team from Yard Crashers is on site, making the most of the home’s outdoor spaces. Fans of fireplaces will not be disappointed.

I thought I’d share some candid snaps from the last few days. Chris Grundy in his air purifying respirator is such a hoot. See, we do care about on-site safety!

1. "wait till you see the family room….." I can hardly wait to see it all!!!! I just know it's going to be my idea of a "Blog Cabin" where I would be so content to live and continue to create my Art, and make wonderful memories for my family.

smokesmom on May 8, 2012 at 2:55 pm
    • You're right , Smokesmom. Maine is the best place to get your artistic and creative juices going. All my happy family and childhood memories are right there–in Lincoln County, ME! It will all be wonderful–:D:*<3 especially if they keep those accessibility items we bloggers begged for! My hopeful hunch is:…..they did! :)
      Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm
  2. Chris' get-up looks like he's a pilot taking off to some super-safe LA-LA Land–here we go, ready or not!!! :) He definitely got with the program! I can hardly wait to see what's happening at BC in my Wonderful Maine! No work injuries folks–they're not allowed–be safe! Now, where is everybody else's Grundy-Gear?B);):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm
    • Kitty, Grundy cracks this blogger up!
      I wonder if he's using any special tools to eat those tasty Maine lobstaahs?

Mel on May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm
    • Ah! I see it appears Grundy can crack more than this Blogger up! With 10 adept fingers, a couple of hands and hopefully, at least 2 dozen teeth! Only tools you really need–plus a bit o' perseverance, 'cause there is great, juicy meat in all types of hidden places besides the tail!!!:D;):p:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 9, 2012 at 8:31 pm
    • Thumbs down for what??? Just in case somebody was dense enough to misunderstand the conversation–we were discussing eating Maine lobstahs and I was referring to the fact that there is lots of meat hidden in the body of a lobstah–so use your tools to find and enjoy eating it, besides just the tail part! Duh!;)o.0<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm
  3. Oh my did you say a fireplace? That would certainly be great to have an outdoor fireplace. I can hardly wait for more pics.

Flashy on May 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm
  4. Thank you Mary for the great Pics above…That view is spectacular! I don't see how anyone can get any work done with that view!!! Can't wait to see what Megan and crew has created in the Family Room, if it is any thing like last years Den, I know it's beautiful…Glad to know all are working so hard to get their special projects done… Sounds like your getting ahead of schedule, maybe we could have some more pics of the back yard…
    Mary, if you can, would you please tell us where the stairs are to the Cellar/Basement?? Please, some Bloggers are concerned their will be no access to the basement from upstairs……I know their has to be, but others don't think so ……Have a good afternoon!!!

Jennie/Florida on May 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm
    • Excellent question. Inquiring Bloggers want to know where those cellar stairs are, from inside, of course.
      Happy Tuesday, everyone!:D<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm
    • According to the floor plans, it looks like the stairwell, that is next to the foyer, does go down to the basement from the first floor. http://www.diynetwork.com/blog-cabin/blog-cabin-2

paperdragon on May 8, 2012 at 5:30 pm
    • You know, that's what I thought–that is, until the photos in the last thread threw me off. There's a nook under the stairs picture, which Mary refers to, that is awaiting a special Crasher touch. OK, with that space taken–and it appears to be the same as in the first floor plan design you referenced–so, where or how does one access the down stairway to the cellar from within the BC, if that space is the nook? I'm looking for a space or a door –or a fire station pole???o.0:So.0:p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 8, 2012 at 9:58 pm
    • Since the stair turns and has a landing, isn't it possible that the "nook" is under the landing area? Then the basement stair could still be where it appears to be coming from the hall next to the powder room.

Camac on May 9, 2012 at 12:33 pm
    • You know, Carole, I keep going back and studying that area–you could be correct. What stumps me is the opening height. It appears, at least from my viewpoint, as being too short an entry, unless one really stoops over??? o.0 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm
    • you have the laundry room next to the powder room. I don't see where the stairs could go, don't look like enough room under the stairs unless they angle it off to one side. Mystery to me where they are, if there are any coming from inside the house. Guess we'll have to wait for Mary to tell us, if there are any and where.
      Unless you Camac want to go check it out for us yourself and let us know wwhat you find out. I don'y think they would let anyone in at this point of the game, but you could alway ask them where it is, if they don't..

home_girl on May 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm
    • I mean the kitchen side of the powder room. The plan seems to show the basement stair there. The basement stair might also take a turn before it runs into the west wall of the basement. I will see what I can find out.

Camac on May 9, 2012 at 8:05 pm
      if you look at staires you can not see any basement staires there.

home_girl on May 10, 2012 at 11:55 pm
    • Hi home_girl, your right!! Doesn't look like stairs could go down to the basement from that photo……solid cement floors with no access to the basement in that area.
      Where oh where are the missing stairs to the Basement/Cellar??
      Mary could solve this mystery for us, if she would just please answer our question!

Jennie/Florida on May 11, 2012 at 8:55 am
    • There are no solid cement floors on the first floor. The stairs to the basement will be there. It's inconceivable that they would close off the basement stairs that are clearly seen in most of the construction videos and many still photos. They're essential for access to the services in the basement. These guys know what they're doing and they will NEVER build a house probably valued somewhere about $3/4 million with no indoor access to the basement where the boiler, circuit breakers and all the heating system is located.
      I have no idea why they refuse to answer questions about the basement stairs but it may be because they don’t consider it important.

Sally on May 11, 2012 at 11:18 am
    • I meant solid flooring with no opening for stairs

Jennie/Florida on May 21, 2012 at 6:42 pm
    • One of the many questions the builders & DIY have avoided answering, both times they have asked for questions. I guess they really don't want us to know or don't think it's important to answer.

Sally on May 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm
  5. Since there are familiar names on all these blogs I'll mention that I gather from the newest posting on the Urban Oasis site that Linda Woodrum, and not Vern, is going to be the Miami decorator.

izzyguest on May 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm
    • The Urban Oasis is going to be beautiful, no matter who decorates it! I love both of the decorator's styles. They both have a wonderful sense of style! ;-) However, I think that the Blog entry said that Linda was the consulting designer and a local, Lindsey Pumpa, is the lead designer. http://blog.hgtv.com/sweepstakes/category/urban-o

paperdragon on May 8, 2012 at 5:20 pm
    • You are correct – I misread the text. I still wonder why not Vern, though.

izzyguest on May 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm
  6. Wow, it is all coming together! The yard too! How exciting!! :-0
    Did Mary say "fireplaces"? Does that mean that there are more than one? Hum, I only see one in the living room.
    There isn't much in the way of glimpses to what is being done to dress this house, but the view from the house to the shore is beautiful! That long expanse of green right down to the water's edge! What a view!!!!

paperdragon on May 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm
    • I hate to burst your bubble but there is no fireplace it is a wood-burning stove….whaaaaa:'(

maria_w_in_nj on May 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm
    • It's not wood (pity). It's a totally un-green propane fuelled stove. :(

Sally on May 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm
    • I'm with you, maria! Not even wood!…..whaaaaaa!!! {:-{

paperdragon on May 9, 2012 at 3:34 pm
  7. More pics? What a great day! Now….how can we convince the photographer to take photos without the hosts standing in the way. hehehe We could've seen much more if Chris had stepped over just a bit. Is the fireplace behind him? What type of fireplace is being built?

Looking forward to seeing the finale. When will this be?

Trish on May 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm
    • Trish, both Sally and maria_w_in_nj say that it is a propane "stove"!
      When I look at the floor plan, there is an indication of a wood burning stove in the living room, #4, between the back door and the wall to the Master bath #8. http://www.diynetwork.com/blog-cabin/blog-cabin-2

paperdragon on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 pm
    • You're late to the blog (belated welcome) so it's understandable that you're not up to speed on the earlier parts of the build. There was a huge volume of discussion on the need for a fireplace and there was a wood burning fireplace in the family room when the demolition started (see early time lapse images with a big chimney at the back of the house). However, that wasn't an original feature, it dated from the mid 1980's. It's been reaplced with a propane fuelled small stove that was the peoples choice in an early round of voting. Bloggers were almost unanimous in disliking this option over a 'real' fire or a much greener wood or pellet burning stove or firepace insert. To no avail with the builders.

The only fireplace on the property will be an outdoor fireplace off the rear deck as Camac has said.

Sally on May 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm
    • Thanks, Sally, for the update!
      Humm, I don't remember that there was a choice of wood or gas. We just had a choice of color and style for a gas stove!http://www.diynetwork.com/blog-cabin-2012-peoples
      I guess I assumed that there would also be a fireplace as well!

paperdragon on May 9, 2012 at 4:20 pm
    • Correct, there was no choice on fuel. However, that discussion preceded the people’s choice and continued through it and after too. The builder said, several times, that they would not be including a fireplace of any sort. That's their choice but many of the bloggers were and still are disappointed about that decision.

That's what the blog is for, to offer ideas and polite criticism as well as praise and encouragement. And, until recently, builders and DIY listened and even changed things according to bloggers suggestions. Not this year however.

Sally on May 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm
    • :<(:So.0:( It is amazing that there is not a fireplace-in Maine? Glad they saw the light for the deck fireplace:)

ruffybc on May 11, 2012 at 8:45 am
  8. I am smitten by this project and so happy to feel like a part of the action through the blog and gift votes.
    Thanks for a wonderful interactive experience.

Lauren McF on May 8, 2012 at 8:59 pm
  9. Wow….What a view of the water !!! Mega Dens and Bath Crashers' crews we can give you A+ already just knowing Mary's comments are true ….Our cheers also go to Yard Crashers on site as we know you will make the outdoors' spaces the perfect oasis for relaxation and entertaining. Thank you Mary for reassuring us that on-site safety is a must…..Thank you also Mary for the candid snaps….Exciting to see all the activity and we can't wait to see it all ready for the winner….:)

FLH on May 8, 2012 at 11:28 pm
  10. Thanks to Victoria for checking in at the end of the previous post, and thank you Mary for the update and photos.

LLColeman on May 9, 2012 at 4:36 am