May 3

New Photos From the Site

Blog Cabin 2012 Pictures

Hot off the press, I offer the newest photos from Blog Cabin 2012. Take a peek to see the progress we’ve made. The old front doors are being fitted in the master suite entryway as we speak!

1. Wow, the deck, the bedroom doors, the giant tub, the two tone green all look fabulous to me.
    With the special project under the stairs, I will assume there will be no access to cellar from inside house? I can live with that, but would be nice to have an updated door outside.

Jeff on May 3, 2012 at 5:27 pm
  2. For a kid from California, those high performance boiler and hydronic heating systems look mighty complex to me. I think I'll leave the basement to the professionals and simply enjoy everything that the Blog Cabin has to offer on the main and upper floors.

DBCoop on May 3, 2012 at 6:13 pm
    • Coming from So. Calif. I can remember when I thought 50 deg was cold. LOL.. Now in So Utah, I think 34 deg is warm. LOL But Maine must really get cold in the winter.

vicki_in_Utah on May 3, 2012 at 9:55 pm
    • Not too cold, since it's on the coast. But we get plenty of 0-10 degree days (highs and lows). The real difference is that the summer weather rarely gets very hot.

Debra on May 3, 2012 at 10:02 pm
    • Thanks Debra, sounds like the summers are nice.

vicki_in_Utah on May 4, 2012 at 8:57 am
    • I like the fact that the system of all open and easy to get to. When I lived in Colorado, the basement had an ancient boiler that was the size of a small car and ornately decorated with curly-ques stamped on the metal. It was so expensive to run that it cost me $500+ for one month with the temperature set at 60o! The temperature outside often got down to -30o at night. during the day, often it would be at 0o or less. I used space heaters and sweaters to keep warm. But the food would often get cold before we could eat it.
      This refurbished home is so energy efficient and it will stay toasty warm without having to take out a loan to heat the place.

paperdragon on May 5, 2012 at 11:59 am
  3. Not sure about the two tone paint job I'm a traditional white farmhouse person. I guess I'll withhold judgement until the landscaping, is done. Love the re-purposed doors to MB, the curved deck is impressive.
    Looks like there are neighbors at a comfortable distance, I like that too. All in all it's looking good!

AnneEliseSouth on May 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm
    • Hi AnneElise–no matter how new'n'improved the siding appears, I keep imagining the house in white or cream…"Been Lovin' Farmhouses Too Long to See Em Go Green" , LOL. Hope that material CAN be painted if the winner wants to change it !

LLColeman on May 4, 2012 at 3:32 am
    • I'm with you LL.

Flashy on May 4, 2012 at 8:13 am
    • Me too. plus a barn red front door. All in all, though, if they keep the halls and doorways, baths, showers and laundry entries wide enough and with no bumps nor ridge obstacles for walkers and wheelchairs to get in and turn around comfortably, I'm satisfied.:DB):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 4, 2012 at 10:54 am
    • I agree with you LL….I was hoping for a white farmhouse or cream with a Barn Red door….Even the taupe would have looked nice with a red door, but it is what it is!!!! Hopefully the siding and shingles are paintable!! Just makes more Work and Cost for the New Homeowner…

Jennie/Florida on May 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm
    • The front door has been on for several days. When i glanced today on the way by it appeared to be painted red.

Camac on May 4, 2012 at 10:37 pm
    • I love the green! It is a refreshing take on the old Victorian tradition.
      Actually white is just one option. It was actually one of the cheaper option to just white wash the walls. A hundred years ago, the Victorians opted for color, including some pretty dark color combinations. Check out the house colors that was used in renovating Victorian homes in the "This Old House" web site: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,2058551…

paperdragon on May 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    • I do like the victorian color schemes on the gingerbread victorian homes, but for me, the farmhouse is traditionally white with colored shutters, and doors. It's good that we all have different tastes, after all life would be boring if everything was vanilla, wouldn't it?

AnneEliseSouth on May 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm
  4. Looks like everything's taking shape. Will there be a laundry chute? And will most basement issues be addressed? Can a mini drive still be in the works by the sidedoor? Kudos for all the teams. This is a feat of love and effort. Very few can ever hope to obtain a reborn old farmhouse that combines class and character.

Curious on May 3, 2012 at 7:44 pm
  5. Mary, thank you so much for overwhelming us…I think I asked for that!! Those are Great Photos!!! The kitchen looks huge especially empty….The doors look very pretty entering the Master bedroom…All the mechanics look very impressive, but one would need a class of instructions on how it works!!! I do hope the basement door will be replaced with a very secure door!! Too bad your taking away the only big window that gives natural light in the basement..I'm sure there is a good reason for that…The photo above has a beautiful blue sky with the rippled clouds ..I've noticed a lot of photos in Maine with deep blue skies…Is that a Maine thing? Love it!

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2012 at 8:53 pm
    • Yes, Jennie, Mainers, overall, are very "green," practical, and conserve what they can. They tend to be very clean, in terms of emission standards and water cleanliness. It's one of the myriads of things I love about Maine and Mainers–when I'm out by the Muscongus Bay , The water is so clean and one can see fairly deep. It is the Muscongus Bay (of the Atlantic Ocean) that feeds into, ultimately, the Medomak River, which is tidal. There's a 10-11 foot tide at the BC, in case somebody's new to the blog and missed it (I know you are a veteran Bloggie :) ) , so when tide is out you have mud flats. But never fear, either way, if its not stormy, or deep winter type weather–Maine has some of the most glorious blue skies and white contrasting puffs of clouds you'll ever see! And the nights—oh, the night skies DownEast Maine are breathtaking, because, there's few lights around, no neon, one can often catch the aurora borealis, and see billions of stars, the way ancient mariners who colonized early America used to see and follow them when they navigated their vessels with simple compasses and vision…. xD^_^B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 4, 2012 at 4:58 pm
  6. Deck looks nice, can't wait to see more interior pictures. Thanks, we were kept in the dark for so long and now… postings galore!

AnneFinn on May 3, 2012 at 9:51 pm
  7. Thanks Mary for the new pix. The 2 tone green is gowing on me.

vicki_in_Utah on May 3, 2012 at 9:54 pm
    • Not me!

Nebraska on May 4, 2012 at 11:58 am
  8. Thanks for the pictures. This looks it will be a phenomenal house. How high are the ceilings?

Debra on May 3, 2012 at 10:05 pm
  9. I like all of the new pictures of the inside, but the ones I posted seems to be more upto date. I have pictures of the AC unit in place and front door on.
    Where is the stairs to the basement now, if they are not under the stairs in the house? Will there be any in the house to go to the basement?

home_girl on May 3, 2012 at 10:16 pm
    • Hi home_girl,
      Best I can tell, they are still under the stairs. It's a little hard to see.
      Where are these pictures you took? I'd love to see them:)

PatriciaAnn on May 3, 2012 at 10:31 pm
    • Thank you for your pictures …..The barn is looking like a real project that will have to worked on.

joanlife on May 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm
    • you're welcome, if you click on pictures it will bring them up bigger size so you can see them better, if you wanted to.

home_girl on May 4, 2012 at 11:25 am
    • I'm thinking we won't see the front door in any pictures until all the taping is done :) That was one of our design choices and we have to wait to see it installed I'm sure! Maybe there will be some cool hidden panel that is housing the stairs.

UsContessa on May 4, 2012 at 9:44 am
  10. I study the picture and couldn't see any stairs, but guess they could still be there.

on my web site near the bottom of the page, under BC pictures… http://www.yourespecialtoo.com

home_girl on May 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm