Apr 30

A Conversation with Victoria Lesser

Blog Cabin 2012 Interior Decorator Victoria LesserVictoria Lesser chats with Knickerbocker Group construction manager Marcus Golding.

Designer Victoria Lesser isn’t one to dive into projects without a plan. And Blog Cabin 2012 is no different. The process of furnishing this historic home has unfolded in a thoughtful manner and in logical steps.

Victoria’s first visit to Waldoboro came days after Blog Cabin 2012 was secured. A drive from her home in upstate New York to Waldoboro took her on a journey up the East Coast and through quaint New England towns. Her task before a single furnishing could be purchased or placed? To decipher the “inherent nature of the area,” she says. “There’s obviously a tradition up here,” says Victoria of the town, which is dotted with quaint cottages and rustic barns. Once she had a handle on the community, she stepped inside the as-is home for a closer look. “I had to examine the bones of the house and approach the interior design in a way that would respect the area and the feel of the space,” she adds.

Hammering down a specific vision was the next step in Victoria’s process. And for inspiration she looked no further than the property’s own barn. “I have always dreamed of converting a barn to a home,” she says. Understanding that conversion was not an option, she wanted to do the next best thing: bring the barn look to the home across the street. Thus evolved an “elegant barn” theme that will be carried out from first floor and bedrooms to the Mega Dens family room.

Bringing this unique look to life will require a collection of furnishings sourced in Victoria’s hometown, Matthews, Virginia (site of Blog Cabin 2011), and in and around the town of Waldoboro. The designer’s favorite haunts during her current stay in town include Nobleboro Antique Exchange (store owner Lisa has proved invaluable to Victoria and the Good Housekeeping team), Elmer’s Barn (“That place is extraordinary,” says Victoria), The Shady Lady and Scuttlebutt Antiques. Victoria has scooped up architectural salvage that will be used in how-to projects, furnishings fashioned from repurposed materials, and odds and ends that capture her eye.

Victoria is pretty tight-lipped when it comes to providing specific interior design details. That information must remain a mystery until the launch of the virtual home tour in August. But she gushes when asked about the town of Waldoboro and the experience of working at Blog Cabin. “I have never heard such amazing sounds as I’ve heard here,” she says of the symphony created each morning and evening by crickets, songbirds and woodpeckers. And she casts aside any worries fans might have about dark interior spaces: “The light in the house is gorgeous. And it’s the light of Maine,” she says. “It’s so pleasant to be inside. When the sun is shining and I’m in the house, I’m thinking, ‘Gosh, it feels so nice in here.’”

• Posted at 9:10 am on April 4, 2012

1. OMG, I'm I the first??? Welcome to the Blog Cabin, Waldoboro… So glad you're here Victoria, please save the old charm of this great Farmhouse. We were so pleased with your work at the Twin Coves last year …I know you already have some wonderful ideas for this old place and hope you will share some things with us on the Blog…Great to have you again at this year's Blog Cabin!!!!

Jennie/Florida on April 30, 2012 at 9:45 am
    • Those 2 dogs are so cute like how Victoria design and create her masterpiece.

net curtains on October 15, 2012 at 5:00 am
  2. Good morning everyone! That is quite the barn inside; looks to be in great shape. It will be the perfect place to store the big lawnmower and snowblower. Those stores that were mentioned sound so fun. It would have been awesome to shop with Victoria…gave me goosebumps just thinking about all the great finds! Can't wait until August, yowsa!

memanbepa on April 30, 2012 at 10:05 am
  3. Gee, I was almost going to complain that we're getting too many new blogs going. LOL, you can't have too much new information…keep 'em coming Mary! And hurray now that Victoria is on site (I know she's been there for a while). Can't wait to see more.

SweetLiz on April 30, 2012 at 10:08 am
  4. Oh, and I love Victoria's two Danes!

SweetLiz on April 30, 2012 at 10:09 am
  5. Welcome Victoria, 4-legged fur balls and all! I'm so Glad you are back with DIY and delighted that Lisa and I met and that she took me up on my suggestion to contact you!!! I could see a great team in the works there! Wow!! Since you must be tight-lipped about how you are designing BC, I understand; bu, reading between the lines in Mary's post above, is it safe to say, we're going old Maine kinda' nautical, farmhouse, no frills baby, real rustic? Now THAT's Maine waterfront! The way I like it. The way I grew up. No frills, sensible, patriotic,comfortably inviting, embracing regional traditions, MAINE: the way life should be!B)B):*:*<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 30, 2012 at 10:41 am
    • Yeppers. Love your description:)

minitoni on May 3, 2012 at 4:16 pm
    • Thanks, Minitoni! It comes from my heart–can you tell i love Maine?xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm
  6. Also had to say that I love, love the dogs. Perfect dogs to guard the Blog Cabin don't you think!

grswla on April 30, 2012 at 11:10 am
  7. Greetings Fellow Bloggers, Victoria and furry "little" beasts :) Love your Doggies Victoria!
    I am VERY EXCITED to see the transformation of the Waldoboro Blog Cabin. I remember taking the virtual tour of Twin Coves and how I could hardly wait for the next photo to load so I am sure this will be another "candyland" adventure that Victoria will give us! WOW! To be able to experience the down home comforts of an "elegant barn" makes me feel rejuvenated already. So PLEASED to hear about the WONDERFUL LIGHTshining throughout the home. My 98 year old Grandmother and I often chat about her taking her "SUN BATHS" in her own log cabin that is over 100 years old! Thank you for the updates! Truly, Lilly and my own furry little beast :)

Lilly on April 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm
  8. Mary says that Victoria’s first visit to Waldoboro came days after Blog Cabin 2012 was secured — and she didn't even give us one little itty bitty clue about the location. Well, I guess Victoria is sworn to secrecy, and the job of creating those wild location clues are rightfully up to Mary.

So we'll just sit tight and wait for Victoria to work her magic on the Blog Cabin and look forward to all of those amazing photos and online tours of the final design masterpiece to come.

DBCoop on April 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm
    • Oh, I can't wait!!! I grew up on a small farm with chickens, ducks, a couple of steers and horses. After I got a place of my own, I used a old, rusted hand scythe and plow as wall sculptures to decorate with. I wonder what type of artifact Victoria will use to tie in the barn motif.

paperdragon on May 3, 2012 at 4:44 pm
  9. Thanks for the new update! Do the 2 dogs come with the house? No, but seriously……….I have a pooch of my own.
    I do love the way Victoria described the feel of the house……the sun is shining and the birds are chirping!!! (Not her exact words, but close enough). I am excited to see how this home will look once it is finished. Can't wait for the virtual tour in August. Yay!!!!!!!!!

Summer on April 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm
  10. Hi Victoria, I like the idea of bringing the barn look into the home, it should be very interesting to see your vision on this.

I would love to live in Maine…just chilling inside on the cold winter months and than enjoying the summer, fall and spring…sounds like my kind of peacefulness…xD

maria_w_in_nj on April 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm