Apr 25

Mega Dens Has Landed

As you’ve already discovered, the Mega Dens team is presently at the cabin shooting their Blog Cabin 2012 episode. Chris Grundy is toiling on some clever how-to projects that incorporate reclaimed materials while Anitra Mecadon is formulating a pretty clever plan for the family room and dog cabin.

Today, I invite you to take a peek at brand new time-lapse construction photos in our gallery and a feature on buying an old home like Blog Cabin 2012. The experts at Knickerbocker Group show you how to separate true gems from money pits.

• Posted at 5:13 pm on April 4, 2012

1. Thanks for the new post, Mary! I'm excited to see what the Mega Dens team has in store for the Blog Cabin! As for the feature on buying an old home…I live in a "diamond in the rough", my husband's family's 115+ year old farm house! I love the legacy and the warmth of knowing that five generations of love have been shared here! It sounds charming-it is! It also means that there are always tons of projects to keep us busy! That's why I have become such a fan of DIY! :-)

Downonthefarm on April 25, 2012 at 6:10 pm
  2. Good rule of thumb-Great advice regarding the choice of pre-WW-2 homes! How deep are your pockets-Bottom line. For example if it had been me I would have bulldozed the house because I have shallow pockets. Sometimes homes die of old age just like people. You can only get so many hip replacements…..and stuff just gets old.

Ashtabulannie on April 25, 2012 at 6:31 pm
  3. Nice new photos, with a Forsythia display–Thanks! The Play / Dog / Kitty Condo is well underway–It will be a playhouse for my grandson and great grand daughter. Have no dog, cat's indoors, please be sure doors accommodate children! Very excited to see how Anitra can bring brightness and family delight into this apparently dark mega-den. All Anitra needs to do is smile and it happens, right? I'm also glad Chris Grundy is present and accounted for! Would love to have Chris join our Blog for a chat, like the good ole' days of Blog Cabin! Hi Chris! My Grampa was a tool designer at Stanley! Many patents in his name… Probably using one or two on BC! Thanks for the new thread, Mary!:D:pB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 25, 2012 at 6:46 pm
    • Hey I agree with the idea of having doors on the "dog house" that are tall enough for kids, because lets face it no puts their dogs outside to sit in a dog house anymore. I say why not just make it a kids playhouse and be done with it.

Flashy on April 26, 2012 at 9:36 am
    • Ayuh! That's the general idea, Flashy–a playhouse. All my dogs have been insiders too–even my huge Irish Wolfhound! Pets are family to me and always live inside our home. I have no dog at present. I'm seeing that pet house as much smaller than it appeared in the initial photo when we voted, but choices were slim to none then. I was just hoping it could substitute as a good playhouse–otherwise, it would be up for sale should I win the BC. Going? going? …goooone!:D Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 26, 2012 at 11:34 am
    • I have a Saint Bernard who never leaves my side when I'm home. She would never go for a dog house. And you are right about selling it. that is exactly what I would do.

Flashy on April 27, 2012 at 8:43 am
    • That is a great idea…dual purpose for the most flexibility!

memanbepa on April 26, 2012 at 11:42 am
  4. Yo Chris, what's it like for the DIY Cool Tools guy to meet and work with the beautiful & Mega talented Anitra who travels with a trailer full of cool tools? Are those your knee pads or hers?
    I can just imagine you two having a blast together. FYI, My husband doesn't enjoy anything on TV more than a DIY Cool Tools marathon–You have him on websites instantly getting prices—see Chris you are his favorite, not so much mine—LOL— it's only a money thing.
    Now that Mary ( Thank You Mary) has officially let us know you're at the cabin filming—I hope you have a GREAT time, please blog with us if you can :)

Mel on April 25, 2012 at 8:47 pm
  5. Nice to see something new. It seems that the deck is going to be a great place to enjoy the views.

AnneFinn on April 25, 2012 at 10:04 pm
  6. Thank you Mary for the update. It is thrilling the Mega-Dens crew is right there on stage and by the great job they have put into last year's Blog Cabin, it is exciting to wonder what will be their inspiration and design for this year's cabin. The fifty time lapsed pictures were nice and the hints on how to spot a true older house gem are great hints. Under the present challenged real state market the last advice is especially relevant – the "be realistic" is a must for sure. Picking smart also a must. I'd just add that planning for energy inefficiency would also require planning for energy efficiency, which becomes extremely important for today's environment and an investment in itself to transform a true older house gem into a green efficient home. Talking about GREEN ….let's not forget to vote for the HGTV Green Home. Thank you Mary again and GO Mega-Dens. Cheering for you, Anita & Chris!

FLH on April 25, 2012 at 10:09 pm
  7. Oh is that a white flowering tree with petals scattered on the ground in the deck photo? Lovely!

UsContessa on April 25, 2012 at 10:24 pm
    • Hi Contessa, what # Photo do you see a white flowering tree with petals scattered in the deck area.?
      I don't see it

Jennie/Florida on April 26, 2012 at 9:55 am
    • Hi Jennie! It's in the trio of photos above. Mega Dens trailer on the left, Chris on the right and a deck picture below Chris with the flowering tree on the far right of the deck!

UsContessa on April 26, 2012 at 10:11 am
    • I found the photo, Contessa, it is in the photo above, boy you have a sharp eye…I knew I didn't see it in the T-L Photos…great catch….I was so excited about getting updates, I just scanned over the photos above to get to the updates…That is a beautiful tree, I'm so glad they didn't destroy it during the siding and roofing installation!!! Do you know what kind of tree it is? Maybe it's a Dogwood or a Snowball tree. I don't know if they grow in Maine, maybe the locals could let us know what kind of tree it is. Thanks for the find!!

Jennie/Florida on April 26, 2012 at 10:16 am
    • You know I think it might be a flowering pear tree! I am guessing this based on the tightness of the shape and dense flowers. Dogwood is a possibility but they tend to have a more roundness to them and this is more cone shaped I think. I need to go look at the First look photos and find it in it's non-flowering state to get a good look at the shape and color of leaves! What a boon it would be to have a fruit tree on the premises! You had the same thought as me when I first saw it! Yes they didn't destroy it during construction!

UsContessa on April 26, 2012 at 11:49 am
    • Beautiful big Star Magnolia

another neighbor on April 26, 2012 at 11:54 am
    • Thanks (again) for your invaluable input. It looks to be about 40ft from the house?

Clive on April 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm
    • Good guess!

another neighbor on April 26, 2012 at 2:28 pm
    • Hi Contessa and Jennie! That tree is indeed beautiful! I saw the tree and my best guess for the area as well as bloom time, it's an apple tree. They do grow in Maine. I can't venture a guess as to the kind of apple, but I don't think Dogwood grow that North; snowball tree, probably yes. But having fruit on one's land would be common to a farmer, so I'm guessing apple. Have a great day! :D :p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm
    • My bet is on a flowering crab apple. Their flowers tend to flurry to the ground like that all at once. Pears tend to try to hold on to their petals as long as they possibly can.

Hawkweed on April 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm
    • Three comments above this 'aother neighbor' tells us exactly what that tree is. :)

Sally on April 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm
    • Hi Hawkweed, I found a picture of a Snowdrift Crabapple tree that looks just like the tree at the BC, so I think you're right ….I would love to have one of those, but they might not fair well in the hot climate of Florida….I live in zone 9 and the Crabapple tree grows in zone 4 – 8…

Jennie/Florida on April 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm
    • Once again, "Another Neighbor" who lives next door to the BC and the tree in question, said it is a star magnolia. It is a very pretty tree.

Camac on April 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm
  8. "Happy" Thursday morning to all…….Thank you Mary for the much needed updates, glad to know Mega Dens have arrived and anxious to see what design Anitra chooses for this Mega-Den. She did a great job last year at the Twin Coves…Welcome aboard to Chris and hope he enjoys this great adventure….Thanks Mary for the updated time-lapse photos….the little dog barn is cute, but the distance we're looking at it , it looks real small…Rats…. If I won, I was going to turn it into a green house/garden shed, but I don't think it's tall enough for adults…..I. would get stuck in there and have to be pulled out by the fire department…How embarrassing would that be???? Thank you again Mary, please keep the updates coming!!!!

Jennie/Florida on April 26, 2012 at 9:48 am
    • OOPS!! That's Greenhouse-Toolshed..DUH

Jennie/Florida on April 26, 2012 at 1:04 pm
  9. Thanks for the update! A doggie dream home………..my dog would love it! Now if they could just put up a fence in the backyard.

Summer on April 26, 2012 at 10:20 am
  10. Is that a skylight installed on the center of the front roof area? Hope not.

Jeff on April 26, 2012 at 10:30 am
    • If you mean on the front roof it may well be a solar tube. They mentioned installing both skylights (two are on the rear roof) and solar tubes to help with the upstairs gloom.

Sally on April 26, 2012 at 11:14 am
    • I assume this solar tube was installed in the stairway to let in light. If natural light was needed in this area, I would have added small openings on either side of the stairway into the adjacent rooms which both have windows.

Jeff on April 26, 2012 at 11:37 am
    • They had what looked like a window opeing about level with the stair landing early on but then boarded it up. Seems silly to have a potential window then replace it with a solar tube. There was some discussion way back that it may be to bring light into the master suite closets as they have no natural light there either.

Sally on April 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm
    • I have a Solar tube, which I love, over an otherwise dark hall in my home, but it has a distinct protruding round outer cover fitting. There may be flat ones with which I am unfamiliar. But what I can say is that I believe that light or solar "opening" is over the library. If it is, I would have placed it at a more balanced, centered point, but this off-side theme seems to run through the property, in general. :) :|o.0 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 26, 2012 at 11:44 am
    • do you think thar solar tube could be in the loft (attic) above the library. They voted on an ladder and maybe that's to a place above the library to sit and read for kids. That solar tube might bring in some light up there. No window on either end of the top gable. Just a thought…

home_girl on May 2, 2012 at 12:18 am
    • Somehow, I'm not envisioning the loft above the library. It is a small front room, probably comparable to the bunk room, with a sloped ceiling. My hunch is a desk will be put in there, making the library all the smaller. I do believe the solar tube could be over the library, for extra reading light–otherwise, it is over the stairway/hall. The loft and that ladder, I think are in the mega den–a place for the young 'uns to escape….That ladder might also service the library, but I'm doubting that they are equipping the library as a dream library with floor to ceiling books, like some of us, including myself, described in detail, many threads ago. While your idea of giving the loft and kids some reading light is nice, as I age, more and more I see it as us oldsters are the ones who need the most light for reading or crafting or whatnot!!! :) The eyes and the ayes just don't seem to have it on BC anymore! ;) B)o.0<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 2, 2012 at 11:50 am