Apr 11

Please Ask Questions

Blog Cabin 2012 Knickerbocker Group

As we wrap up the remodeling process and await filming of the Blog Cabin 2012 episodes, we are experiencing a bit of down time, the perfect time to ask our Knickerbocker Group experts more questions about the home!

I invite you to put on your thinking caps and post your questions below. We’ll gather the best of the bunch and toss them to architectural designer Kimberly Tuttle and construction manager Marcus Golding. The deadline to post your best questions is Monday, April 16 at 5 p.m. ET.

• Posted at 10:46 am on April 4, 2012

1. Sorry. We have gone through this question thing before and very little of true interest was ever answered.

Hawkweed on April 11, 2012 at 10:48 am
    • Try again, Hawkweed! You always have great insight. Patty O

Patricia Green on April 11, 2012 at 11:48 am
    • lol:) I call them as I see them.

Hawkweed on April 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm
    • Still waiting for answers from the first go round.

Nebraska on April 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm
    • Patricia, I know you are just trying to keep positive and was sorry to see that you are being given thumbs down, and gave you the one thumbs up I am permitted. I am sure the thumbs downs are not intended to be hurtful, it is just that we long time bloggers have all become so frustrated by the lack of significant communication from the DIY team. The occasional old photo just doesn't make up for repeated neglect. We can see that Mary is probably very busy between Dream Home, Green Home and Urban Oasis, but where are the Knickerbocker builders or the BC host? Surely someone could be appointed to regularly monitor and respond to our questions and concerns? Once BC was truly "You design it, we build it, you could win it". It looks like that is just another forgotten promise.

SID on April 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm
    • Sid, Thank you for your support. Was not aware of the significance of "thumbs." I really do think Hawkweed brings a lot of insight to the blog. It is certainly understandable that frustration has been abundaNT and that many questions have been ignored. I too was frustrated about the lack of a wood burning real fireplace and its value for cooking, heating and light in Maine storms. It is my belief that negativity breeds nothing but more negativity, Thanks again. Patricia

Patricia Green on April 12, 2012 at 1:20 pm
    • I agree Hawkweed. There's no questions being asked yet hat haven't already been asked and ignored many times. This is just more time wasting. A daily cam shot and some regular up-to-date information would be a lot better.

Sally on April 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm
    • I agree with you Hawkweed.
      I personally am not impressed by the updates. I would much rather hear from our local loyal sleuths:):)
      they have given far more info about the build. Thank you again. I am tired of the game DIY is playing..
      I am sorry to sound so sour grapes (that is not me) I was very enthusiastics about this build-I love Maine and would love to live here. But, that said I have not enjoyed the interchange of information with this year's build (right from the beginning)-it is different. I am hoping this is not going to be the new trend for Blog Cabin?
      I am sure this home will be beautiful in the end but, this process is not true to what DIY has been done in the past? I really do not get the feeling that the people have any influence on the build-it is all pre-determined :( o.0:S

ruffybc on April 11, 2012 at 5:38 pm
    • Dare we ask where is the BC 2012 host? Last year Matty B was visible and kept us informed by vlogs and FB even if he didn't blog. This years host has not bothered to even drop in to say 'hello'.

I agree this is not an interactive event any more it's all a bit one sided. Just look at the disinterest in the blog these days. Some times a day or even a weekend passes with no additions. A few years back we had a1000 blogs per week. Now its a few tens per week mostly about other subjects and almost always from the same few diehard bloggers.

Sally on April 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm
    • I couldn't agree more. Well said.

flashy on April 12, 2012 at 10:33 am
    • ruffy and Hawk I'm so sad to admit that I completely agree with you. So far this has been a very disappointing year for enthusiastic BC regulars. As much as I love the ME cabin, and trust that it will be a wonderful home when finished, I am sad at the direction this site has taken. The last couple of years we have been given increasingly little communication, information and less and less significant People's Choice options. Bloggers have been treated as not only insignificant, but endured being insulted as 'cyber stalkers'. This is the only site where I bother to blog, and if it were not for the many wonderful people who I have met here I am afraid I would completely lose interest.:'( Thank you especially local ME residents, for being the sunshine this winter in Maine.B)<3

SID on April 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm
    • Not a problem Sally. I am easy going and take everything with a grain of salt.
      One thing I can say on a huge positive note about this home is …a big THANK YOU to our our local loyal sleuths!
      We would know nothing if it were not for you fine people snooping around and giving us really great
      update. You guys even have me liking that shade of green that is on the house.

Hawkweed on April 12, 2012 at 6:12 pm
  2. What will go behind the guest suite on the second floor? Is there going to be a guest bathroom? Where do the second set of stairs go? Patty O

Patricia Green on April 11, 2012 at 11:44 am
  3. Will the barn get a fresh coat of red paint?

Homelover on April 11, 2012 at 11:48 am
    • That would be nice:)

ruffybc on April 11, 2012 at 5:38 pm
  4. Is there water and electric to the barn? Is the water from a well? Separate wells for house and barn? Is the water good or does it require some type of conditioning? Is there adequate volume of water for house and barn? Has the well(s) ever gone dry?

Windsmurf on April 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm
  5. It appeared at one point that there would be a window on the front of the house above where the original front door was located, is there a reason this was closed off?

Windsmurf on April 11, 2012 at 12:31 pm
  6. A guest bathroom in the guest suite would be a great idea! Also, not sure how everyone else feels about the ” bunk room”, but I have two daughters… That like their own space, is it possible to just make that room a ” neutral ” bedroom that could easily be customed for a boy or a girl? It’s just a thought. ;-)

Sandy on April 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm
  7. Will they be doing anything to the barn? Like give it a good coat of paint, new shingles/metal roof or fix the wood shingles that's bad on the barn. If nothing else, I hope you give it a fresh coat of red paint to make it look nice like the house. With all those workers there shouldn't take no time at all.

Will there be any linen closets in the home? Don't see any on the floor plans.
    Will there be a closet in the bunk room?
    Will there be built-in drawers in the master room don't see much room for a dresser. Love the view but with all those windows leaves no wall space for dressers.
    The Master Room closets look small/narrow in the pictures, are they?

Will they be screening in part of the back deck so one can enjoy the view without the bugs?
    Will the back deck have a roof over it so one can set out there in all weather?

Will the original door knocker still be there for the new ower to put back on the front door? Everyone seem to liked it over the ones that was offered.

What plans do they have for the old kitchen cabinets? If no use, will they be left in barn for new onwers? Would make for great storage in the barn or mega family room or even in the basement.

home_girl on April 11, 2012 at 12:33 pm
    • great questions, i hope someone answers for you and us

joeecloe on April 15, 2012 at 11:34 pm
    • That would be great to screen in part of the back deck. The bugs in the summer time in Maine can be pretty overwhelming!

Takmeasiam on April 26, 2012 at 10:56 pm
  8. I like some of the old lights, will they be using some of the old light fixtures and putting them back into the home?
    Will they still be fixing the old clothes line up? Move it a little closer to the house?
    Will there be a Driveway on kitchen end of house? There's plenty of room to have one there, can come right off the terrace.

home_girl on April 11, 2012 at 12:33 pm
  9. What is the actual condition of the barn? Will there be extensive work (roof, paint, board replacement) to get it into good shape to use as an office or studio or even for some type of animals?

Windsmurf on April 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm
  10. Will there be any parking type of area on the house side of the road, preferrably with easy access to the kitchen?

Windsmurf on April 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm