Mar 14

Preserving Land for Future Generations

Blog Cabin 2012 Land Donation

Big news, folks! DIY Network has donated a portion of the Blog Cabin 2012 property (30 wooded acres, to be exact) to the Medomak Valley Land Trust (MVLT) in Waldoboro, Maine.

The forested strip of land, previously owned for generations by the Robie family, stretches between Dutch Neck and Gross Neck Roads and abuts 18 acres that are protected with a conservation easement held by MVLT. Together, the properties protect close to 1,000 feet of frontage on Peters Pond, a 12-acre pond that is distinguished from others in the watershed because of its depth (60 feet), steep granite cliffs, high shoreline and completely undeveloped watershed.

“We have been working with members of the community to find a way to protect it since the Robie property first came on the market in 2007,” says Liz Petruska, MVLT’s executive director. “When we heard about Blog Cabin, we contacted DIY Network to discuss potential conservation options. Thanks to their generosity, this important property will be permanently protected.”

“The Robie Farm is the last of the original land grants on Dutch Neck that has not been sub-divided or developed over the centuries,” says Eric Stark, a Blog Cabin 2012 neighbor whose property is also conserved. “Its presence reminds us of what life used to look like in Maine. The relationship between the land, the people, the farms that sustained them and the waters they harvested for fish, clams, oysters and lobsters is still visible on this property. It is very different than the relationship we have to these things today.”

To learn more about the Medomak Valley Land Trust, please visit the trust web site at medomakvalley.org.

Note to fans: The Blog Cabin 2012 Giveaway, which includes a lovingly renovated, circa-1884 cape cod and 21 acres of land, launches in August. To learn more, visit our Coming Attractions page.

• Posted at 9:28 am on March 3, 2012

1. IT WAS SO INTERESTING TO READ ABOUT THIS GREAT ORGANIZATION AT THEIR WEBSITE (medomakvalley.org) …..THEIR VISION IS GREAT AND DIY NETWORK HAS TRULY INVESTED IN OUR FUTURE GENERATIONS BY GIVING THOSE 30 ACRES TO SUCH GREAT CAUSE!!!:):):) PRESERVATION OF THE EARTH!!!! THERE YOU GO DIY NETWORK …A+++++++

FLH on March 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm
  2. I had decided not to blog this year (I became bored with BC to be honest) but I check-in from time to time and just had to comment on the MVLT donation. Great job DIY. This is a wonderfully generous gift and great PR also. Looking at the MVLT site it would appear that the eventual owner of the BC and the remaining 21 acres would still have access to all the wooded lot for low impact recreation such as walking, running, dog walking or picnicking but there can be no development of the land further than that use. That removes any added stress about what to do to protect the land but allows the owner of the BC to enjoy the wonders of the woods and pond any time they wished. Couple that with less income tax burden to the winner and property tax to any future owner. Way to go DIY. Now back into hibernation, enjoy the rest of this BC folks. I'll not return again this season unless DIY does something just as fantastic. :D

DonD on March 15, 2012 at 1:44 pm
    • Hi DonD nice to see you. Miss your comments.

vicki_in_Utah on March 15, 2012 at 2:08 pm
    • You've probably left for hibernation, but it was good reading your post!

LLColeman on March 16, 2012 at 2:54 am
    • Great to hear from you again Don. Glad you are still out there following the BC progress, and hope you come back again to blog with us!

SID on March 16, 2012 at 4:15 pm
  3. The pond is beautiful, my husband will want to drag his canoe down there for bass fishing all the time if we won. Good thing DIY will have the home ready to move in, because the honey-do list can't compete with bass! lol

AnneEliseSouth on March 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm
    • No bass according to the Maine dept fisheries info. sheet for the lake (but that's decades old). However, it's been stocked regularly in the past with brook trout and some brown trout have been reported. Could you get accustomed to fresh trout for diner some days? :p

Clive on March 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm
    • It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it! Trout it is. As my hubby likes to say a bad day of fishing beats the best day of work.

AnneEliseSouth on March 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm
    • Agreed. In fact a sign saying that hangs over my office door. :D

Clive on March 15, 2012 at 6:37 pm
    • How come your hub gets to fish and not you?

Trish on March 16, 2012 at 7:53 pm
    • Well, Trish, I'm glad you brought that up. You see, I rather enjoy it when he goes fishing because it gives me a little time alone in the house to putter around uninterrupted. If you've been married for a long time, you'll find that absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder. We both enjoy some "Alone" time. Also, although I do enjoy canoeing, I'm not much for fishing, too slimy for me.
      Not that I'm not welcome to join him, and some times I do go along for the ride.

AnneEliseSouth on March 17, 2012 at 11:48 am
    • AnneElise, I am definitely hearing the makin's of a woeful country song, along the lines of :'
      " Mah Honey-Do list cain't compete with the bass fishes a-jumpin' in the pond…/ He can clean the garage, work in the yard / But when the fish are jumpin', that work's just too 'hard'…" ;)

whaddya think ?

LLColeman on March 16, 2012 at 11:59 pm
    • Ooh, I like it, just add the part where he leaves the dawg behind because she rocks the canoe, and the dawg cries all the while he's gone.
      Now, who can we git to sang it? Larry the Cable Guy?

AnneEliseSouth on March 17, 2012 at 11:52 am
    • LOL…can Maggie carry a tune ?

LLColeman on March 18, 2012 at 2:54 am
    • Maggie is so big, her voice is low and rumbling and the only thing she carries are her treats over to her blanket, and the toys she steals away from Rusty!

AnneEliseSouth on March 18, 2012 at 7:16 am
    • Makes me think of my brother's rescue dog, a Chihuahua-Pug. Brother's mother in law lives in the neighboring duplex and the dog visits her there often. One day, my brother's dog got mad at him for making him take a bath, so the dog carried his bed, blanket & toy next door to mother in law's house, like he was moving in with her ! LOL
      (I am sure Maggie's howling voice is a lovely contralto–she could sing back up…)

LLColeman on March 19, 2012 at 2:46 am
    • Now that I think of it, LL, Maggie can do a mean whine, she can hit quite a few different notes when she really needs to go out for a walk. Not to mention the wiggle bum jump dance, she'll do when she's going to get a ride in the truck! Customize a tutu, and watch the 85 lb dog dance like a drunken ballerina!
      Loved the pug-chi story, who says canines can't be drama queens.

AnneEliseSouth on March 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm
    • Yes, Chug rules 2 households precisely because he is a drama queen (king?)

I see no reason why you can't buy Maggie a tutu to wear, even if her dance is spontaneous ! I used to have a Golden Retriever; she used to "rescue" everyone when they went swimming..she took the person's wrist gently in her mouth and guided the' poor soul' back to shore…made it tough to swim, LOL.

We have to spell the word "r-i-d-e" in front of our Boston Terrier, but lately he seems to have figured that one out too.

LLColeman on March 20, 2012 at 2:55 am
    • Please do not put Bass in a Trout Pond. Trout are fun to catch as well…
      http://www.state.me.us/ifw/fishing/lakesurvey_map… Trout are fun to catch as well…

4TahoeStar54 on March 27, 2012 at 12:55 am
  4. i love land, and love seafood what a better way to go. I know what it's like to live on a place that needs preservation. i lived in a house in lake elsinore ca. which was supposed to be the former mansion of late johnny wiesmiller, original tarzan. Supposedly, it too needs someone there again. It is on 333 acres of land, the pool is on a mini-mountain above the house, walked or drove to it, and corrals, barns, and other stuff, had to drive on the property to get there. I had refurbished/painted the main house, and did a beautiful garden there. Replace the waterheaters etc. and made a nice living space. It is so nice to appreciate landmarks, and beautiful land. Good to see the appreciation, and dedication that went into this project. charla

charla skinner on March 15, 2012 at 3:11 pm
    • Hi, Charla, it's nice to read of the care and honor you had for the Weismuller homestead. Hope a land trust can somehow procure that property someday.

LLColeman on March 16, 2012 at 2:57 am
  5. Just looking through the pictures calms me. Can't imagine how wonderful it would be to live there and enjoy it year round.

peachtea on March 15, 2012 at 4:56 pm
    • I'm with you on that one. Its amazing. I can hardly believe we're almost done.

mommyto8 on March 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm
  6. It will be a gift and a blessing to whoever wins. Even if the person cannot afford to keep this awesome property, they can visit it until it sells and the money they get for the sale of the home may make their life easier. It's a win win in my opinion. Hoping we are those lucky people.

ShawanaK on March 15, 2012 at 5:35 pm
  7. I love that the little pond is shaped like a star. An earlier blog opined that this may have been a quarry, but I see no roads accessing it so I don't know if that was its origin. Anyone out there know how this star-shaped, very deep pond came into being? Some strange glacial artifact? A fallen star:p Tiny colapsed volcano? Paul Bunyan's cookie cutter? Disolved limestone deposit?

Windsmurf on March 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm
    • It's called a 'kettle lake". A local blogger, 'Another Neighbor', corrected me on that as I had repeated something I read earliier that it was once a quarry.

Slightly embarassing for me as we live on a kettle lake in the Kettle Moraine region of Wisconsin. I just didn't connect the two regions like that. The 'kettles' were left behind by the reteating glaciers during the last ice age about 10,000yrs ago so they're very 'new' geologically

Clive on March 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm
    • I had never heard of Kettle lakes before, but I did know that glaciers left behind some strange geological features. Thanks for the clarification.

Windsmurf on March 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm
    • Windsmurf, I was going to answer " cookie cutter", but somehow Clive's explanation is far better, LOL. ;)

LLColeman on March 16, 2012 at 2:59 am
    • Also Windsmurf–saw your comment on CBW's post. You have quite a nice family group–the puppy had a lucky break indeed…bless you !!<3 <3 <3

LLColeman on March 16, 2012 at 3:15 am
    • Thanks, the little girl, named Bella now, is getting better every day. The bones aren't protruding as much any more, her medical issues are resolving, and she is every bit as playful as any other young pup.

Windsmurf on March 16, 2012 at 5:27 pm
    • Windsmurf–a bit of coincidence—years ago my daughter in law worked in an urban area and a co-worker brought in a malnourished puppy (NOT a Great Dane but a mixed breed) that he'd found in an alley. She was starving, protruded ribs–worms, sick, etc. and my DIL just could not stand it–she volunteered to take her home and spend the money on vet care to save her. My son and DIL were renting and already had 2 small dogs…the puppy recovered well; got healthy and grew to be so large..
      . Eventually my son and DIL visited a friend who had 2 spunky, large dogs and a big yard; all agreed the dog would be happier there. The coincidence was they named their rescue puppy Bella also.

LLColeman on March 18, 2012 at 2:51 am
    • Love this story!

SweetLiz on March 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm
    • Wow, that is quite a coincidence. Thanks for sharing the story.

Windsmurf on March 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm
    • LLC funny you should say cookie cutter. I was thinking that it was a gingerbread man that had spread on the cookie sheet as it was baking. Uhmmm! Gingerbread!

BunnyInTheSouth on March 16, 2012 at 10:09 am
    • I kind of liked the cookie cutter too, but am not surprised that wasn't the real answer.

Windsmurf on March 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm
    • mmmmmm….gingerbread… :* <3

LLColeman on March 17, 2012 at 12:02 am
  8. I agree with rosiegirl2 that it is a win/win situation. It would be great if the "winner" donated more of the land to the MVLT! I was brought up in Waldoboro and would love to come back to one of my favorite places in the world!

Diane L on March 15, 2012 at 7:35 pm
  9. Thanks DIY! What a wonderful gift for preservation!!! Hats off to you!!!! Beautiful, beautiful land, and knowing that it will be protected makes me HAPPY!! :-)

bevmontana on March 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm
  10. This cabin is going to be so awesome! It couldn't be on a more beautiful part of Maine. I used to live up there and I miss it so much! Awesome Job DIY Network for donating a portion of the land.

sjp2806 on March 15, 2012 at 8:55 pm