Mar 14

Preserving Land for Future Generations

Blog Cabin 2012 Land Donation

Big news, folks! DIY Network has donated a portion of the Blog Cabin 2012 property (30 wooded acres, to be exact) to the Medomak Valley Land Trust (MVLT) in Waldoboro, Maine.

The forested strip of land, previously owned for generations by the Robie family, stretches between Dutch Neck and Gross Neck Roads and abuts 18 acres that are protected with a conservation easement held by MVLT. Together, the properties protect close to 1,000 feet of frontage on Peters Pond, a 12-acre pond that is distinguished from others in the watershed because of its depth (60 feet), steep granite cliffs, high shoreline and completely undeveloped watershed.

“We have been working with members of the community to find a way to protect it since the Robie property first came on the market in 2007,” says Liz Petruska, MVLT’s executive director. “When we heard about Blog Cabin, we contacted DIY Network to discuss potential conservation options. Thanks to their generosity, this important property will be permanently protected.”

“The Robie Farm is the last of the original land grants on Dutch Neck that has not been sub-divided or developed over the centuries,” says Eric Stark, a Blog Cabin 2012 neighbor whose property is also conserved. “Its presence reminds us of what life used to look like in Maine. The relationship between the land, the people, the farms that sustained them and the waters they harvested for fish, clams, oysters and lobsters is still visible on this property. It is very different than the relationship we have to these things today.”

To learn more about the Medomak Valley Land Trust, please visit the trust web site at medomakvalley.org.

Note to fans: The Blog Cabin 2012 Giveaway, which includes a lovingly renovated, circa-1884 cape cod and 21 acres of land, launches in August. To learn more, visit our Coming Attractions page.

• Posted at 9:28 am on March 3, 2012

1. The Medomak Valley Land Trust is such a WORTHY Organization and, I couldn't have picked a better Trustee for this Land. If I win–or when I win, that is exactly what I would have done! My only question would be–can we still ice skate in Peter's Pond? Cudos to DIY–BIG CUDOS to MVLT which has done so much to preserve and conserve the habitats and natural beauty of my beloved Maine! Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!B)B):p:p^_^^_^<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 14, 2012 at 10:40 am
    • Only when it's frozen (unlike most of this winter I believe). ;)

Clive on March 14, 2012 at 11:14 am
    • Ha! Ha! Ha! Clive! LOL–You're too funny! That's 60 ft. to sink if it's not frozen, duh!;):pB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm
    • I believe it's a flooded stone quarry, hence the depth and small sizee with the cliffs at one end.

The Maine Dept of Conservation have it listed as a stocked trout lake so there's the chance it can provide dinner some days. :p

Clive on March 14, 2012 at 12:24 pm
    • I think it's great they donated the land! Hooray! Great move!!!
      Have to agree with both you and Clive. Can skate on the pond ,use the land and don't have to worry about it. The taxes will be less, and 21 acres is much more manageable. Good Move!!!

Windeeone on March 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm
    • hi Kitty,
      Trying to fix my computer rignt now. testing….. testing

Windeeone on March 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm
    • Your computer seems to be transmitting–I got your message! :) How are Ya, Windee? xDB):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm
    • Much better now :) Thanks Kitty. Sure, wouldn't ya know it, had the IT guy on line with me,tried to show him the crazy things the gremlins were doing and they must have been hiding. Computer was working perfectly. Go figure! lol Anyway, he helped me fix things and it seems my computer is as good as new. Hooray! lol Thank God, I was starting to get nervous! :) Watch out world, cuz I'm back in business. LOL
      So tell me/us how was your special day? BD that is.
      Thank You for reply and concern.;)<3 Windee :)

Diane Manning on March 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm
    • Wheeeeee! You're back in business, Windee! Hooray! My B'Day was busy, mostly because I went to DAR Conference to deliver the yearbooks and to a tea with the President General from Washington, D.C. Had to haul 4 very heavy boxes to the Marriott hotel and get the Bellman to haul them to storage for the next 2nd Vice President to take over. I was pretty beat. Came home about 6:30 p.m. and my grandchildren and great grand baby were there with a cake to surprise me. I was so tired and ready for bed–but what's one to do–they're more important, so we celebrated. the celebration spread on till Friday night, My daughter planned a girl's night out so we went for steak and fun and NO GUYS and had a blast! I'd say, 2 days of celebration was perfect! I suppose getting older requires more celebration, right?! :) I'm so glad your computer gremlins are gone! I'm back in business too! Stay in touch and take care!^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm
    • Sounded like a very full day! Bet you were never so glad to get rid of something in your life. :) Tea with the President, was a nice honor. Hope you enjoyed that. Hope the conversation wasn't all business and that you had a chance to relax and enjoy the tea !
      Had to celebrate with the Grandchildren and Great grand baby! The excitement from the little ones must have given you the strength to keep going? Just to see their happy little faces brimming with love for Grandma's special day and the excitement to present her with a suprise cake had to be exciting for all! I would be suprised to hear you didnt sleep well that night, probably pased out from the sounds of things.:)You celebrated again the next day! Good for you! A nice dinner with the girls is always a guaranteed good time!!!.I would say you can celebrate as long as you like regardless of age :) You go Kitty!! lol
      This is nice to type with no interuptions! So glad the gremlins are gone too! Talk to you soon.Take care and God Bless………………Windee :) <3:)

Diane Manning on March 19, 2012 at 7:27 pm
    • You must be relieved to have your computer issue fixed. There's nothing more frustrating. Thanks for all your sweet thoughts about my birthday. It was good–and yes, I was ready for bed after the kids left. They wanted to stay and play with the Wii. All I could think of was night night! Ah! I remember those boundless energy days…. LOL! That's why God gives children to young folks! God Bless you, Windee, and have a good night too! xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm
    • Yes I am relieved to have issues fixed!!! Big difference! It was a nightmare! I thought it was a matter of time until my computer would find itself in the trash.So happy I was wrong! :)
      Your welcome, re :BD thought. Sometimes I think I should be writing novels because I am long winded.lol Will put that on the bottom of the to do list. lol
      Wouldn't it be nice if you could harness the energy the kids have. Talk about the energizer bunnies!! You took the words right out of my mouth, why God gives children to young folks. I say that all the time. Thank You Kitty ;) May God Bless and keep you in his care :) Hope you have a nice evening…….Windee :)

Diane Manning on March 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm
    • It was a very quiet and relaxed evening, last night. I was thinking about the property now under the MVLT ownership. I wrote somewhere to Ruffy that they should stock the property with a pair of young moose. Posting that parcel against hunting would be necessary so they could mate and be prolific–wouldn't that be cool? We could put salt licks out for them and watch them graze–I would love conserving them too. Such regal animals. I think they've been hunted out of the shore and have moved more inland. Would like to see them come back! Might have to wrap heavy chicken wire over plants and shrubs though, for moose like to eat those ornamentals as well. It's always a balancing game with God's Nature.!

Windee, writing novel is a very interesting idea! Maine is a great place to focus that creative mind of yours! I think it's a great concept that should be boosted way up on your to do list..You could play with an outline, characters, personalities, scenarios, tension, reactions, and pretty soon you are weaving a tapestry together with a story line that cannot be set aside. You ,yourself become curious about what's going to happen, and, by then, you're hooked! Gotta' finish it! Gotta' edit! Suddenly you look around and you are sitting in the room alone with a legitimate author! :D ^_^B):*<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 21, 2012 at 7:15 am
    • I was hoping that's what you would have, a quiet, relaxing evening and you did! So glad to hear that! Good for you….:)__I have yet to see a real live moose.Tried to when in NH on business but didn't happen to run accross any. They sound like deer in the respect , they will be happy eat a wide variety of plants around the yard and you never have to ask.. I had deer at my house and it was a constant battle to deter them from snacking on the foliage. And believe me when I tell you, I tried Everything! In the winter you could see where they stepped up on the front porch steps in the snow to eat the bushes by the front door.The worst for me was had my 4yr old plant tulips and the next year when they started to come up,we never got to see the flowers just green stems and leaves :( So every year after that it was a race to the garden to preserve the tulips. Found the only thing that worked was bobbex but not right away.:( Wonder if that would work on Moose?

Diane Manning on March 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm
    • I wouldn't mind seeing the moose as long as I didn't have to watch them dining on the ornamentals, flowers etc. They can prune the bushes as long as they don't kill them. :) That's as much as I would share.. I love all kinds of plants, trees, bushes, and most of all flowers. I would have to find a way to coexist.:) Maybe you can teach me about salt licks? Can make them and hang way down the back of the yard! Think it's too late to see if DIY can put a view finder in the back yard instead of the sundial? Pop in a quarter and low and behold the moose will look like it is standing right in front of you! LOL That works for me. I do love nature, but not always up close and personal :) __Writing,,,,,hummmmm I did try that once. Wrote a childrens story but couldn't find out how to go about getting it published. Found someone to do the artwork, just need to find out how to proceed. Who knows maybe you found a new profession for me…..lol. I'll give you the hat pin and you can be my manager and or consultant. Up for the task? LOL Now add that to the list, of things we came up with to do and I'd say we are going to be busy. lol Windee

Diane Manning on March 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm
  2. Great thing to do. Local bloggers alerted us some while back that this was a possibility. Now the winner doesn't have tp pay tax on or worry about the maintenance of that section. However, they still get to visit, walk & fish the pond whenever they desire. Best of both worlds. :D

Clive on March 14, 2012 at 10:42 am
    • sounds very nice what a shame i can,t do these thing any more so i guess i will miss out on all the fun.

teebutt on March 15, 2012 at 8:57 pm
    • Awesome!!

Ryan on March 20, 2012 at 7:58 am
    • the walking and site seeing is what i enjoy .i would love it and so would my little Yorkie nice very nice.

teebutt on March 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm
    • this is the info I was looking for, now alpaca info anyone? Can we have alpaca on the 5 acres with the barn?

minitoni on April 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm
  3. With the overall acreage of the property now only 21 (16 on the house side + 5 on the barn side) what does that do to the potential use of the property as a farm? Usually you need 25 acres minimum to qualify as agricultural property. Conservation efforts are a good thing but I hope this agreement hasn't been too short-sighted.
    Mike in Southcoast, MA

Mike on March 14, 2012 at 10:45 am
    • i totally agree, The reason I have been checking this blog cabin every single day is because of the amount of land, the only reason I would be able to move across country would be to keep this property going as a working farm, now it's just a pretty house with a generous yard and "hobby farm" barn.

Shauna on April 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm
    • I don't understand why everyone is in an uproar about this not being able to be a working ranch. IF you win this house they ARE GIVING IT TO YOU. The only thing you will be responsible for are taxes and insurance. You will not have a mortgage so that has to count for something in your budget. If you are paying a mortgage now, that will be money you won't have to spend on this house and will add to your pocket. I am sure the taxes and insurance are going to be a little high due to the amount of property and maybe because of the tax base in this area but still you don't need a full working farm to make up the difference. Hopefully, you work and that will take care of expenses. Again THIS IS FREE. They are not asking you to buy it.

Debbie on April 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm
    • Mike, I agree entirely with you, very short-sighted, especially after all the hype about it being 51 acres. I could hardly wait to start entering the contest, as with our horses and farming we NEED that much land; now I am broken hearted.

kbw8007 on August 1, 2012 at 6:37 pm
  4. Why would the winner be expecting to win more than what is eventually offered when DIY publish the BC 2012 sweepstakes rules?

This seems a great way to offer a more manageable property and lessen the very considerable tax burden it will incur also while protecting the land at no expense to the winner. Great idea DIY.

Sally on March 14, 2012 at 11:11 am
    • The winner could give the property to the land trust and get a big tax break.

Gidget on March 14, 2012 at 8:00 pm
    • Agreed but not having to pay income tax on winning the extra 30 acres is a much bigger tax break. Then the winner can deed much of the other land to MVLT and get property tax breaks in the future too. This way is better for tax than winning the whole lot and having to pay a much bigger tax bill.

SusanD on March 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm
    • The income tax savings is the first round. The winner also won't have to pay as much annual property tax which can be quite substantial. Waldoboro has a rather limited commercial tax base so the funding of the town and schools comes primarily from residential property owners.

Camac on March 17, 2012 at 3:09 am
    • Actually there is NO tax break here… you will still have to pay taxes on the 20+ acers, where as if they had left it the way it was then you are billed for the taxes on the 51 acers (which they should have never advertised as "you could will this 51 acres") and after the billing do a donation that then gives the tax credit and put the credit toward the taxes you owe… now you have have nothing to give toward the taxes you will owe unless you divide the property even further… Lets face it, YES it's a good cause, but DIY went about it all wrong getting peoples hopes up and then doing this AFTER the voting is done and people feel a part of the property, that's the whole point of blog cabin… to feel a part of something, and now they've taken that away… And especially after they took away the fact that wasn't this show originally for LOG cabins? and after new york they just keep doing remodels… it's not that people are BASHING, they are just really disapointed because expectaions and hopes were raised and then taken away

Shauna on April 6, 2012 at 5:33 pm
  5. I agree with Mike on all counts. Most people who win these types of properties end up having to sell them because they can't afford the windfall taxes or the tax on the property itself. Had the winner gotten the full acreage, he could have donated a parcel it for a large tax abatement and perhaps maintained ownership of the property. Also, the winner of the full acreage might have been able to retain ownership by leasing or farming the land. As it stands now, the winner may have to sell the property unless he is wealthy. It would have been really nice to see this property go to a member of the rapidly disappearing middle or working class.

Lea on March 14, 2012 at 11:12 am
    • I agree, it should have been left to the winner to do the donation or whatever else they chose to do. From day 1 DIY has advertised this as 51 acres. I feel as if there was some sort of dishonesty here.

Windsmurf on March 14, 2012 at 12:33 pm
    • The winner could still donate a conservation easement on the estuary side of the road – this is where much of the value lies anyways. This would protect the field and the view on that side and keep the land in private ownership will still providing financial incentives.

MVLT on March 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm
    • sounds like a good idea MVLT

vicki_in_Utah on March 14, 2012 at 5:56 pm
    • this makes so much sense. does it affect subsistence farming on the estuary side?

minitoni on April 6, 2012 at 11:08 pm
    • I agree, it should have been left up to the winner. they advertised it as 51 acres. they could have sub-div the land & made the 30 acres zone conservation. That would make the Taxs less on the 30 acres.

Gidget on March 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm
    • Totally agree that this was faulse advertisment… I totally got hopes up because of the 51 advertised AND DIDN"T TRY FOR THE HGTV DREAM HOME because this one was bigger, and now that it's in the 20 acre range I wish I had cause that house was better and closer!!! Totally bogus DIY… NOT cool to throw that in after the advertising!!!!!! I'm not such a huge fan anylonger!

Shauna on April 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm
    • You are so right. People creating these things do not usually think it all the way through. Thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious.

Kaye on May 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm
  6. Why didn't they keep that small piece north of the barn? It would have made a nice uniform rectangle straight to the shore. Is it for road access??

Ford on March 14, 2012 at 11:13 am
    • Aerial photos show a track on that side going back to the pond so I'll assume that strip is for access.

Clive on March 14, 2012 at 11:36 am
    • Yes, it probably is the access. The blog cabin is so close to the road and therefore also close to this access, that's too bad.

AnneFinn on March 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm
  7. What a great thing to do, and there is still plenty of land left for the winner. Instead of just one person winning, placing this land in conservancy means the people of America will have pristine land preserved for future generations. In effect, we all won a little piece of this one!

AnneEliseSouth on March 14, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    • Very nice thoughts Anne…..Love your post!
      Windee :)

Windeeone on March 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm
  8. Sad to see people acting negatively, when a good deed is done. Whoever you are, you expressed your view fairly and I didn't criticize what you said–you have that right. But so do I. It would have been icing on my cake had I won the property and been able to choose myself, to donate most of my acreage to the Medomak Valley Land Trust (MVLT) in Waldoboro, Maine. And that is exactly what I would have done, on winning–It just would have been my own tax benefit and not DIY's–but they, who own the property now, chose to do a good thing first–more power to them! But I would never criticize one who differs from my own position and go around with mean-spirited thumbs down, not knowing the facts.Life should be about lifting up—not tearing down! :| o.0<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm
    • Kudos, Kitty, you are absolutely correct! We, members of the human race, should be grateful to DIY Network whose intent was to preserve our surroundings. There are too many negativity in the world, has our minds been seared because of it? Have we become insensitive due to our own misfortunes and that of our neighbors? When a good deed is been done the benefactor should be applauded not criticized. However, should the need arise to critique it should be done tactfully and constructively for the betterment of the whole.

Furthermore, I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to win this lovely home, thank-you DIY for your generosity. And best of wishes to all!

Marcia on May 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm
    • it's not about the "good deed" that is the issue, it's that diy announced the expanse of the prize and then reduced it after. i don't know what the deal is but if the original owners didnt' want to give it up before, there was a reason. and they described the part of the lake as completely undeveloped, deep, steep, etc. making it look like it's nothing Really? Then what needs protecting? and the portion donated is huge, more than half of the expanse of the prize diy has flaunted about.

Lienr on July 31, 2012 at 9:35 pm
    • You are right, Lienr. I think at some point, the family that originally owned the property did try to sell that part, according to neighbors in Waldoboro. Mainers are very conservative by nature and don't like to see new developments come in. That's one of my guesses about "protection" of the property. but the fact of high taxes and the cost of restoring that house, may have played a part in DIY's decision too. I'm no expert, but they have a sort of "traditional range/value of their Blog Cabin properties, and I bet that by the time they added the restoration of the house to the original 51 acres, it was going to run up the value well over the norm and probably make it near impossible for most anyone to afford to keep it. Just a guess on my part. I and a lot of people felt quite uneasy with the , shall we say, "truth in advertisement" issue, but this is not the 1st time, unfortunately–I try to keep my eyes on the good side of the equation; yes, they should have thought of this sooner, but they did a good deed–as my Grandpa, who faithfully spent his Summers in Maine used to say, "Well, bully for them!" :) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on August 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm
  9. Lea, Mike and Windsmurf, I am not against you, if you read what I said thoughtfully. Why not go to the Medomak Valley Land Trust site in Waldoboro, ME and check out their types of land trust. I just did. The winner may still hold access to–even ownership of, the conserved 30 acres! It just will be better managed for wildlife and erosion and things like that by the MVLT and you/the winner will receive a perpetual tax break on the 30 acres. I'm not sure about this because I haven't had enough time to research it, but don't fret and attack —we (I included) didn't make this choice –DIY beat the winners to the punch, huh?! Give hope a chance, Guys! I have also had multi-questions about how decisions have been made by DIY–but for now, they have the right to have done what they did–though I agree it might have been nicer to allow the BC Winner to decide their choice of tax deferment or abatement.o.0:|<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm
    • I am not attacking anyone. I am just saying that it should have been left up to the winner to make that decision and reap the benefit. If the benefit does accrue to the new owner, then that is not so much of an issue with me, particularly if ownership/access to that land is retained.

Windsmurf on March 15, 2012 at 1:20 pm
    • I believe based on answers here on the blog that the winner will have no ownership rights or tax benefits as this is an outright gift to MVLT. Their access to this acreage will now be no more or less than any other resident of that town. I am not making negative comments about anyone or anything, I am just stating my opinion. To use a political term, there should have been more transparency to what was going on. Perhaps we should even have been allowed to vote on what type of conservancy option to select OR the deal should have been done before anything else and the residual acreage is what should have been advertised all along. This is my last comment on this issue as it seems a lot of people here do not like to heard opinions that differ from their own no matter how civilly expressed. I'm taking my keyboard and going home….and my mouse…and my monitor……my keyboard, my mouse and my monitor that's all;)

Windsmurf on March 15, 2012 at 5:58 pm
    • And my chair….my keyboard, my mouse, my monitor and my chair..that's all……………

Windsmurf on March 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm
    • LOL

vicki_in_Utah on March 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm
    • Windsmurf, I realize that you aren't attacking anyone. And I now am aware that DIY outright gave away the land, rather than place it under conservancy, which was my 1st thought about it. I had believed that, since they advertised 51 acres they were, rightfully so, since they still owned it, in a position to place the parcel under conservancy, but I had no idea they were outright giving it away. While on one hand, I believe strongly as a Maine family descendent, in the support of the MVLT, as a great cause, I did say in my posts that I would have preferred to, as winner, be the one to make the arrangement in a manner that benefited my family. But the fact that DIY beat every one to it, I cannot take from their lawful right, albeit, hmmmmm still wondering why, DIY chose to exercise such a right, and do it now, even after all that truth in advertising, so I DO understand how you must feel and I'm not against you–really! It IS good for MVLT! I'm HAPPY for them, but sad for the winner!!! Bottom line!:$<3=/<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 16, 2012 at 10:55 am
    • Kitty I know that I am kind of beating a dead horse, but I feel that anybody who is upset with the action taken by DIY-BC on the land donation can truly express their displeasure with how this was handled by choosing to not enter the sweepstakes.

YankeeNuke on June 23, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    • True. That COULD be an option–I surely didn't prefer the manner with which this gift was handled, even though I admire the gift! I would have far preferred to BE the GIVER, myself and already had that idea, believe it or not,on my radar screen! I think I would have maintained ownership, though. Love that Peter's Pond! In my case, however, i want to enter the contest, though I realize I'm simply piping another dream into the atmosphere… he, he!!!B):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on June 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm
  10. It seems some of us look at things through such different ‘lenses’. For me there's absolutely no doubt this was a good move by DIY. They own the land right now so it's theirs to dispose of it as they wish. Blog Cabin is about how to renovate or build a country retreat, not first & foremost a sweepstakes competition. This move preserves the land in perpetuity to provide everyone with a healthier local environment. It ensures that the land will not be developed which is in line with what appear to be the wishes of the locals. The winner will have complete access and be able to enjoy all that the land has to offer except ownership. This will inevitably raise the value of the BC in time. It also assists the winner by reducing the income tax bill on the value of the winnings. No one can get tax relief for deeding the land at a later time without first paying the tax due on the assessed value the day they accept the prize. My ‘lens’ makes me see this as everyone winning with no losers.

Clive on March 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm
    • I agree. There is no way of knowing what the winner of the property would have done with this land. Since the was only piece of the Dutch land grant that had not been developed, what do you think the odds are that it would have stayed undeveloped?
      The only way to assure it's future was to donate it before the sweeps. Twenty one acres is still a great deal.

AnneEliseSouth on March 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm
    • Agree 100%…:*<3

Lisa Lane on March 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm
    • Lisa, as you own waterfront property just west of the BC you may be able to answer this question for me. Are there any ripariian setback rules for the Medomak river frontage at the BC? I have read some more general information that seems to say that from high weater mark to 35ft inland there can be no development or disturbance of the soil, bankside, river bed etc. Then from that line to a line about 200ft from the high water mark there can be some light development so long as it doesn't impact negatively on the 35ft zone or the waterway itself. That would seem to preclude any new buildings near the water that had any effect on drainage and erosion. I assume there is a 'grandfather' clause for existing structures?

Clive on March 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm
    • All I'm sure of is that we got our stationary dock in in 2006,just before the code changed to disallow them. When we were considering electric fencing for the alpacas we were given a 75ft setback from the high water mark(we decided not to fence in the water side of the house). We had to have the code enforcement officer inspect and approve of our stone steps that we installed going down the slippery embankment to our dock in 2009. I would assume what applies to our inlet will also apply to the BC side as we are both under the same jurisdiction and on similar type river frontage ie: down to mudflats at low tide with a waterfilled channel at all times for mooring or travel.Was that any help at all?It seems you may have studied the more updated info and may actually know more than I do;)

Lisa Lane on March 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm
    • Thanks for all the info. I believe you're much more accurate than my data that comes from a doc. dated 1999 and covers riparian laws for the entire state. It notes that there will be local variations to these general rules depending on the conditions and local surveys. I'll take what you said as the rules for this area.

What I was trying to establish is whether there were any such laws. I guessed they would be something like this and it probably means that any riverside development would have to be minimal and not have water or sewerage connections too close to the high water mark.

DIY already hinted that there were setback laws covering the roadsides too so I'm wondering how these jive with rules governing how close the mailbox must be to the roadside?

Clive on March 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm
    • close enough so the postal delivery person can reach it from his/her vehicle…..don't think that's affected by roadside setbacks although the support would need to be out of the way of the snowplow……wonder how that works with the permanent mailbox that's winning?

basincrew on March 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm
    • Is this the reason the picture showing a path from the house to the river is a mown path? This helps me understand this.

Trish on March 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm
    • The path to the water is simply the design of the occupant…we mowed 3 different paths to our waterfront and we keep them mowed for a variety of walks to access the waterfront.There are no rules governing mowing but there are laws limiting tree removal on the waterfront;)

Lisa Lane on March 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm
    • I agree with you Clive. I have learned alot with the different blog cabins. My heart goes out to DIY. Conservation is a good thing. It doesn't cost us anything to enter or BLOG. The reward for our dedication is one of us will win a new home. Not a house a HOME!!!!

Tina on May 9, 2012 at 10:49 am