Nov 2

Meet the Winner

We are proud to announce the winner of Blog Cabin 2011. Please read our exclusive Q&A to learn more about Carol Livingston and her plans for the future.

I’d like to thank everyone who particpated in our People’s Choice voting and entered for a chance to win this gorgeous Chesapeake Bay home. Keep checking this blog for more details on our 2012 home.

• Posted at 11:10 am on November 11, 2011

1,290 Comments

1. talk about flash mob, yes this really happened at a mall just outside of Chicago on December 1st….

please keep Christ in CHRISTmas

maria_w_in_nj on December 7, 2011 at 8:43 am
    • I agree with your last line with all my heart! Maria- did you catch that in the last story, which Windsmurf and I wrote about saving Christmas , Mary from DIY and Santa Land, that I made sure to insert WHY Santa gave gifts–in honor of that Babe….I just couldn't let it slide by!

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 11:11 am
    • YES! especially the last part of the message!

Trish on December 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm
    • Maria thanks for sharing, that video is awesome!

Mel on December 7, 2011 at 6:17 pm
    • Oooo, Maria, this is brilliant !! I was going to look for a holiday themed flash mob video for Day 2 Flash Mob at DIY offices …so perfect !!

LLColeman on December 8, 2011 at 2:22 am
  2. Hi all! I was just checking in to see if there was anything new. I am really looking forward to a new blog thread on here. Something new on the new BC in Maine. I think this one will be great. Love the idea of all the land. It is perfect.

funfordot on December 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm
    • Hi funfordot ! We bloggers are just entertaining ourselves here until we get a new post.

LLColeman on December 8, 2011 at 2:23 am
  3. Tell me about it. I can look like a character from a Medieval plage victims picture in the summer. Diet and blood type are major contributing factors to whether you're 'tasty' enough for skeeters (at least with some species). Unfortunately, you can't change blood type and diet may be difficult too. Plenty of garlic in food can help but there are consequences to oozing garlic fumes from every pore as we all know.:$ DEET and netting plus a good wood fire is probably the best to hope for. :)

Clive on December 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm
    • LOL! X 100 LOLs! My sides are splitting i love garlic but it can, let's just say, overfume….

If we get an outdoor pavilion, near the water, it must have netting with tiebacks which will RARELY be tied back on my watch! :D

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm
  4. :p Wierd one I gotta' go figure …double the trouble above– or Twinkies–take YOUR pick!!! o.0

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm
  5. Maria Jersy Girl
    Here you are! Thanks for the CHRISTmas video! Awesome!:p

ruffybc on December 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm
  6. Hello all !! Just checking in to see how all is going, looks like same old, same old !! Heading out to do a little more Christmas shopping; I'm not quite done yet !! Have to shop a little at a time, still hard for me to stand in a long line for very long, but getting better !! SSSSHH, my birthday is next month & Florida has passed a new law that you have to provide your birth certificate, government I.D., 2 pieces of mail with address, & social security card to renew your drivers license; had to send to Alaska for birth certificate & waiting for it to come in. I guess "they" are trying to stop illegal immigration by making those who have had Florida licenses for over 45 years pay !! Oh, well !!

gremol on December 7, 2011 at 4:57 pm
    • Glad to hear you're doing so well. I hope Mary gets to us before Christmas! She must be busy too.

SweetLiz on December 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm
    • gremol, you are something else, going out to shop so soon after surgery…YOU are your family's best holiday present ! <3

LLColeman on December 8, 2011 at 2:08 am
    • Here! Here!:*<3 xD

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 9, 2011 at 12:35 pm
    • Impressive gremol that you are doing CHRISTmas shopping so soon after your surgery, good for you!! The massive ID thing has been in place in Jerzee for years now, I guess since a number of the 9-11 bombers all had illegal driver licenses of of NJ, its a pain but so worth it for our security…

maria_w_in_nj on December 8, 2011 at 7:21 am
  7. Camac? Are you there? I've been thinking of you and starting to worry that you may be ill or away or something. We have surely put your little BIG attic squirrels into famous-land! I hope everything is OK. All the best! Kitty :)

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 5:18 pm
    • Speaking of the infamous flying squirrels, did you see where a hospital had flying squirrels getting inside? Made me think of the blog when I read about it. LOL

SweetLiz on December 7, 2011 at 5:33 pm
    • LOL! SweetLiz, I'm afraid I missed that news–that would have been a hoot–but not too sanitary for a hospital!:S I bet they weren't as big as OUR flying squirrels! ^_^

I Just got back from a Christmas party and, while visiting with an air traffic controller friend, I recounted our last "creation" story about Mary and her twin giant flying squirrels, Chappie and Chippie and Santa's sole air traffic controller and gave her a summary of what happened to the North Pole and how Christmas was saved by our Mary…. But when I described Chappie and Chippie ant told my friend we could have used her help at Santa's airstrip, even helping our flying squirrels' land–she cracked up and laughed so hard and told me our group should publish our short stories…. Hee heee! Funny what a glass of wi ne will do huh? MARY!! THIS is BC time. HELP! Peace. Out..:*

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm
  8. Flash Mob Day 2 at DIY HQ : Well, maria_w_in_nj posted a perfect flash mob link on the previous page ( 11) and it will be just the ticket if we can amass enough bloggers to sing in harmony– very little dancing in this one: guys, keep your tuxedos on. Ladies, we trade in the tuxes for raspberry pink satin dresses:

thank you, maria ! I love your spirit. <3

LLColeman on December 8, 2011 at 2:37 am
    • I absolutly love CHRISTmas I even decorate my car with a wreath, every room in my house is decorated, I mean it our Saviors Birthday!! He gave His life for us that is the least I can do to honor Him…

I am not telling this to get sympathy, just want to share….You know I really should not love CHRISTmas as much as I do. Our dearest dad died on December 12, 1965, I was 10 years old, the love of my mom's life (and mine too!), when he died she was left with 5 children to raise alone, his death crippled her. But being the great mom that she was that year she put up a CHRISTmas tree, because she knew that is what my dad would have wanted her to do. The night that my dad died my mom and him were attending a UNICO http://www.unico.org/ (its an Italian/American organization that does charity work) CHRISTmas party, my dad always the life of the party, infectious smile, GREAT opera voice, (was asked to sing at the Met and his parents wouldn't let him!) was playing Santa, yes, my dearest father died in a Santa Claus suit, massive heat attack at the age of 52, he went so fast that there was no chance of saving him…so in part I celebrate CHRIST mas for my dad too, cause I know he would want me to…

maria_w_in_nj on December 8, 2011 at 7:44 am
    • What a beautiful testimony! During a time where the Celebration of Christ, the Savior of the world, son of the Almighty God, The Redeemeer for our sins, is being slowly taken away in our beloved USA. I am sure that your Dad is looking down on you with a big smile on his face. God Bless you Maria! I too celebrate CHRISTmas, I too call my tree a CHRISTmas tree and not a holiday tree. You are amazing! Merry CHRISTmas to you and your family and everyone here on the Blog. :-)

Heading South on December 8, 2011 at 10:35 am
    • Maria, I am so touched by your Christmas Story I have a big knot in my throat! What Our Precious Father God did, was choose the Day He brought your Earthly Father Home so you and your siblings would always remember how important that tiny Baby Gift was and is to this entire World–even Santa Clause bows down to Him! For it is In Him and Through Him that we all live and breath and have our being. May His Peace be especially close to you and yours during this memorable Season, knowing that, Someday you will again see each other, face to face. That's not my Promise, but God's!!!<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm
    • Hi Kitty, you know I believe that too, I really do believe that some day we will all be reunited with our loves one…I firmly believe His promises to us…

its funny, it such a melancholy time for my family but it is also so special, I guess God needed him more… for something special, my Dad was a very generous, honest, hard working soul…

I'm so glad that we get to say these few words of reflection about Our Dear Lord, without someone saying how silly we are being or saying that they don't believe…

maria_w_in_nj on December 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm
    • <3<3<3 Buon Natale !! The Italians have got it right, the' birthday' is in the greeting. "there are 2 types of people–Italians, and those who want to be"–or so the saying goes.( I am a wannabe Italian, being Scandinavian/ Irish.)
      I completely understand that you were not lobbying for sympathy–your experiences make you who you are, and I know what you lived through has made you strong, and a loving mom to your kids. I am sad for what your family went through, and such a trauma for a ten year old!
      Your mom sounds like such a great lady, and I loved hearing about your dad. You gave the bloggers a real sense of who he was, so very special. Your celebrations each year are a triumph over a tragedy, and I feel sure Dad's spirit comes through you, and in your honoring him. Blessings to you Maria, and I am glad that you shared this story. <3<3<3

LLColeman on December 9, 2011 at 2:01 am
    • Mom was special, she was a tough cookie, I know I would not be able to raise 5 young children on my own but she did, she passed April 16, 2010, she was 90 years old, and it was sad to lose her but I know she was reunited with her loving husband and that makes me happy….

yes, it was very sad to us kids that Dad died in a Santa suit, it kind of "haunted" me for years…but that is the kind of guy he was, always laughing and singing, a jolly soul!!

maria_w_in_nj on December 9, 2011 at 8:20 am
    • Maria Jersey Girl__I am so sorry to hear your story of your Dad. How sad but, what a joyful life he had and what great memories you have-don't lose that and it is wonderful that you do keep the Christ in CHRISTmas. Why did your Dad's parent not want him to sing at the Met?? __Hang on to your wonderful memories and keep them and him alive to your family-with the hope of CHRISTmas.__God Bless. and a very merry and happy CHRISTmas to you and your family

ruffybc on December 9, 2011 at 11:14 am
    • Hi Ruffy, same to you and yours!!

His mother and father, my grandparents, left everything that they held precious and immigrated from Italy to the US in hopes of a better life for themselves and there very young family…My dad was born here and I guess in the late 1920's when my Dad would have been in his late teens he was spotted at HS singing. He was approached by a scout who said that he was doing a showcase of young singers at the Met. (see they even had American Idol back then too >VBG<) he went home and told his Mom and Dad and they did not think that was the kind of life that they wanted their son to have, they did not think it was a reputable way to make a living…go figure…

we have a reel to reel of my dad signing, we have to get it on a CD, have not looked into it though, but I am sure it can be done….

maria_w_in_nj on December 10, 2011 at 8:45 am
    • Maria Jersey Girl
      What a fantastic store-too bad that he did not pursue the singing:( You can get that to DVD. My In-Laws did that years ago with my husband's childhood movies and gave it to us for a Christmas gift one year and it was set to music-very nice-we both really enjoyed it.
      Glad you have such joyous memories:)

ruffybc on December 11, 2011 at 6:05 pm
  9. Mathews Visitor Center will have its native author and blogging celebrity, known to us as 'Chesapeake Bay Woman', doing a book signing this Saturday, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.. It is her first book and concerns Mathews County history. I hope BC winner Carol's resident friends will be able to be there, and hopefully Carol will somehow receive a copy of the book, "Mathews County Then and Now " by Janice C. Vogel. <3<3<3<3

LLColeman on December 8, 2011 at 2:50 am
    • so proud of her, I am…

maria_w_in_nj on December 8, 2011 at 8:52 am
  10. The Flash Mob threat did it again !!

LLColeman on December 9, 2011 at 2:03 am