Nov 2

Meet the Winner

We are proud to announce the winner of Blog Cabin 2011. Please read our exclusive Q&A to learn more about Carol Livingston and her plans for the future.

I’d like to thank everyone who particpated in our People’s Choice voting and entered for a chance to win this gorgeous Chesapeake Bay home. Keep checking this blog for more details on our 2012 home.

• Posted at 11:10 am on November 11, 2011

1,290 Comments

1. Is to good i like this.

Table Pad Company on December 3, 2011 at 2:25 am
  2. FLOOR PLANS?

UPDATE ON MAINE?

CAMS?

Nebraska on December 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm
    • ANYTHING NEW!!!!

SweetLiz on December 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm
    • ON MAINE BLOG CABIN 2012 PLEASE!!! (We're quick studies here at DYI Blog–we're already up to par on HGTV DH, so don't send us there again, now. It's great–we already know)! Please, Please! Please BC MAINE, we beg you, on our knees!

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 3, 2011 at 8:51 pm
    • :( enough said!

ruffybc on December 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm
  3. Hmm, we've been looking at Carol's pretty face for over a month now. Nice smile, nice hair, nice jewelry, nice going on winning the home. But, I'm starting to feel like I'm in a staring contest with Carol, and she's winning. She hasn't blinked in over 30 days. Hello, Mary, are you there? We're still here, still waiting, for the Maine event you promised us.
    Send Carol to Twin Coves, and send us to Maine, please.

AnneEliseSouth on December 3, 2011 at 8:12 pm
    • AnneEliseSouth, I am WITH you! It's time for the MAINE EVENT!!! Let's get on with the show!:S

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 3, 2011 at 8:45 pm
    • lol…how about a photo of Maggie so we can have a staring contest with her ?

LLColeman on December 5, 2011 at 4:09 am
    • Good idea, that's a contest easily won, as she doesn't sit in one place for very long, or for that matter stay awake for that long!

AnneEliseSouth on December 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm
    • should I post a photo of my Boston Terrier lying on his back ? Then Watson can add an announcement to the effect of : "we are closed temporarily for pre-holiday R & R' or " Blog Maintenance"………..

LLColeman on December 8, 2011 at 2:56 am
    • LL
      Photo! Photo! :p LOL!

ruffybc on December 8, 2011 at 8:51 am
    • I like it! You could also title it "I'm dogged tired, and flat out bored from the doggone long wait"

AnneEliseSouth on December 8, 2011 at 9:54 am
  4. Hi blogging buddies…I feel that Mary will turn her attention to the "BC in Maine" and to the Blog, since the Dream Home has been revealed and the renewed blogs are in place, hopefully Mary has completed her Tasks on the DH … . Now it's the Blog Cabins turn to be the "Center of Attraction", so please come on Mary, we are waiting for you, please give us something exciting and new……Camera Cams-inside and out or New Photos of the BC or better yet, the Floor Plans Old or New plans, we aren't picky..That would make the "Blog Cabin Bloggers" Very Happy……We have been very patient, well that's stretching it a bit, but we are devoted to this Blog and we're still here and we do care…so I will Thank you in advance………………..

Jennie/Florida on December 3, 2011 at 10:45 pm
  5. OOPS!! (continued) for anything you can give us……

Jennie/Florida on December 3, 2011 at 11:14 pm
    • I'll take an interior 'barn cam', anything new is preferable to this thread….we can see whether owls come flying into the barn, and create a new mythology starring owls ( "hoo" are fascinating, by the way )

LLColeman on December 7, 2011 at 1:19 am
    • LL, you made me think of one of my wildlife rescues , Hootie, the baby screech owl–it was so ugly it was cute. I didn't have it long, since I wasn't properly equipped to feed around the clock but I was the interim caregiver, until a certified owl rescuer could come pick Hootie up, which was 3 days. Very interesting experience, since owls are carnivores, mostly. Hootie had to teach ME! :)

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 11:24 am
  6. Here's a first look at BC 2012 again, but this time without a commercial. Knowing the "L" shaped portion of the home has been removed, it wouldn't bother me one bit to learn the Knickerbocker groups master carpenters have constructed a turret or tower in the rear of the home. Of course the exterior of the turret will need to be finished in natural stone and rough hewn wood. The top of the turret should be designed to allow for taking in that marvelous view, and have an area that can be used for painting or writing, since no doubt the view will inpsire you! Might as well continue to dream of the endless possibilities, until Mary makes an appearance with the floor plans, which I really hope will be SOON! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00CGugvQ7s

Mel on December 4, 2011 at 9:46 am
    • Thanks, Mel! OK, folks! That lighthouse in the promo vignette is in Portland and it is gorgeous, sited on and island. There is a world-famous lighthouse right in Lincoln County not very far from Waldoboro, at Pemaquid Point! In fact Pemaquid Point Light is SO Famous–IT was picked to appear on the Maine State QUARTER!!!! When you go see it, wear comfy shoes, there are unbelievable rocks and ledges that form the boulder "point." It is probably the most photographed lighthouse in the world. There's a little restaurant along side it that arguably makes some of the best Maine blueberry pancakes anywhere!

In the film also, where you see shoppers and the sign Burberry's–well that's not Waldoboro—that's in Freeport. In fact there's not much close in film represented in that vignette about Waldoboro at all. Surprises await….:)

<3 I definitely like your idea for the turret–could be a variant on a widow's watch. I also noticed (again) how overgrown and brush-laden the 450 foot waterfront part of the BC is and that just bothers me, aesthetically. Now I'm a tree hugger–so I have a dilemma. So my proposal would be a careful landscaped thin-out, so one can enjoy the waterfront–all 450 feet of it from the house, but keep trees here and there in clumps with charming sitting areas–perhaps arrange a "beachfront" and kayak launch area and a nice fire pit…A stone and moss walkway down to said waterfront…Ahhh…xD

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2011 at 7:12 pm
    • Thanks, Mel! :D I responded to your post, but it got zapped into admin cyberspace. It was squeaky clean too, washed in the Medomak River.. SIGH….:$

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2011 at 8:01 pm
    • LOL Kitty! I know the feeling, I get zapped occasionally myself :)

Mel on December 4, 2011 at 8:46 pm
    • 1) Mornin' Mel and All! :) OK–another try, I have no idea what word(s) zapped me last night? I can see a huge round turret or even a widow's watch added to this house, for better enjoyment of the views. Love the idea! And even though I love woodlands and trees, in this case, landscaping really requires thinning the trees and brush overgrowth near the water front, so one can see and enjoy the 450 feet of water front property!!! Recycle downed trees, please! Clump living, remaining trees together, with sitting areas, a swing, a "beachfront by the water," a kayak and canoe launch area—and of course a great fire pit. Dean & Derek are you on this one I hope or Who?

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 5, 2011 at 10:21 am
    • 2) Woohoo! We have a POST! still antsy–I am–of the grim zapper, so I'm doing it by list. This is comment no.2 on Mel's youtube replay of the announcement of BC 2012.

The beautiful island lighthouse in the video isn't near BC, in fact it's in Cape Elizabeth, near Portland and is well known as Portland Head Light. BC 2012 HAS it's own nearby light, Pemaquid Point Light in New Harbor, Lincoln County, just a brief drive away. Frankly I was a bit surprised it wasn't used in the vignette, because Pemaquid Point is arguably the most photographed Lighthouse in the world and it is featured on the Maine State Quarter, AND it serves the county in which BC resides!

Pemaquid Light is sited on a cliff and long point of granite, which juts out into the Atlantic. It is a fabulous place to visit and photograph or paint, but wear safe foot thingeys for walking–you know what I mean–and admin doesn't take well to those…. Don't get too low or too close to the edge. There have been rogue waves from time to time…. There's a small restaurant next to the Lighthouse that, beside the proverbial touristy chatchkies (sp?), offers some of the best blueberry pancakes you'll ever love.

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 5, 2011 at 10:44 am
    • Please, please, please plant some white birches and feature some blue spruce and blueberry bushes too—VERY MAINE!!!^_^<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 5, 2011 at 10:54 am
    • OMG, Kitty–just imagine the Maine home being given away with blueberry bushes in the landscape! That would make me seriously consider moving across country, even though I would be too far from any family there.

LLColeman on December 8, 2011 at 3:00 am
    • Blueberries in season July-August, primarily, so fresh and sweet, but not too sweet and so healthy for you! Blueberry pancakes, blueberries in ice cream, blueberry pie, blueberry buckle, blueberry jam, blueberry everywhere yum, yum, yum! ^_^

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm
    • DSDE
      Good try with the turret/tower last year we wished for that along with a balcony for the VA/BC home-no go-not even a balcony. Maybe we can make "them that be" feel guilty for not doing that last year and make ammends??^_^ I agree that taking in the views would be great and getting rid of some of the trees and putting in a launch/dock super! We all love the water and want to take full advantage of it. Man, I thought 16+ acres was outrageous last year-this year 51 acres Insane!xD:p Who ever wins this home will feel like an English Lord with an estate!:*sweet! But I do not think an English Lord ever had a moose! How cool is that-I want a moose (not to eat):S I agree too that they are done with the DH all that is left is to enter-they need to start feeding us:x FP! we are starvingo.0

ruffybc on December 6, 2011 at 10:06 am
    • ^_^:*<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 6, 2011 at 11:32 am
    • ruffybc, didn't they put an upper balcony/porch over the front entry? And didn't they also put an upper "balcony" across the back of the house? I'm sort of confused here…help me out.

Oh yeah, and MARY, WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!!

SweetLiz on December 6, 2011 at 11:32 am
    • Hi SweetLiz
      I have to be honest here:) I was alittle disappointed in the balcony they did put on the Va BC home. You are right they did put one but it looked as if it would barely accomodate a folding chair?:Sand I still do not get that door to nowhere and the shower under it no less-but that is over.
      I think you can remember all our wishes and desires for a blcony that you could star gaze from, have a telescope,etc. I do not think the balcony they put on that home you could do that with? Maybe I am wrong? I know things are expensive but that was a real strong desire of many of the bloggers-remember all the fun pirate talk we had-Arrrgh! Don't get me wrong I still loved, love the Va/BC home they did many things I would love to live with. I am just saying I hope they really listen to us-it really bothers me that we have heard nothing from" them:(that be" You gotta know they are doing stuff in the silenceo.0 It would be nice to have a BC Cam????:p

ruffybc on December 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm
    • I was also disapointed in the size of the balcony across the rear of the BC in Susan, VA. It was better than nothing. When they raised the house they should have moved it about 6 to 8 feet further from the water so a larger deck could have been built. Oh well, on to Maine.

SweetLiz on December 7, 2011 at 1:53 am
    • Well, Ruffy , if you put enough treats out there for moose, maybe they'll move in with you. I'm not sure what they eat but it seems we have time to find out…Salt licks please! :p

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 3:42 am
    • I believe there's a lot less that 450 ft of waterfront on the river side to the rear of the house. Don't be fooled by 'realtorspeak'. The 450 ft of waterforont mentioned includes frontage on the muddy creek and pond to the rear of the barn on the wooded section of the plot.

It would be nice to have something constructed near the river (a gazebo perhaps). I doubt that DIY will put any structure into the water (dock etc) as they have never done it before on other waterfront BC's. Also, the tidal difference may be considerable in this region and any dock would need to be a hundresd feet long or more. Interestingly there are no docks on any plots near the BC which may be telling. There could be conservation laws forbidding docks or they may be a nvigation hazard by having to be so long because of the tides. Just guessing though :)

Clive on December 6, 2011 at 11:44 am
    • Clive
      You have brought up many good points I agree with. I noticed that too that there were not any docks-making me wonder what the laws are or tides as you say-there must be a reason??^_^
      A gezebo next to the outdoor kitchen would be a nice feature-all moose invitedxD Helllloooo Dean& Dereck:):)
      I just wish we would get a taste of something-I for one am hungry!^_^

ruffybc on December 6, 2011 at 7:04 pm
    • Hi Ruffy–is that for moose, or Dean & Derek or a gazebo? I feel like I'm reliving that ole' camper song kid singing, "…here we stand like birds in the wilderness waiting to be fed!…" So good to having Clive's input back on board, don't you agree? xD

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 10:47 am
    • Clive, thanks for your input! Good point about the realtyspeak! I studied the tax maps today and the bulk of waterfront is behind the home proper. So long as tides are in, we'll see beautiful wavefront, but You're right, Clive, in that some of the waterfront is measured still Gross or Peter's Pond. But all in all, these supposed be 450 ft. of useful,yet tidewater/mudflats, which most likely is mud.flat and probably some good clamming there,instead. I personally don't envision the water to be that deep at high tide though there is probably a channel through which larger boats make it through I'm not too keen on a gazebo, but maybe a sort of pavilion/cabana where one could clean fish shellfish and lobster Water would need to be clean a roof picnic tables, grill, screens; an outdoor shower to clean off mud from being in the mud flats I didn't think of a dock, because it seemed it would've to be to long and expensive, A canoe or dinghy only needs tide- in and a level area although the beach-like setting would top things off, along with a safe fire pit, like D&D' safe pit at BC 2011 and building grill with deep fryer for cookout space. Having draw down filmy screens and fans would also be good, along with convenient storage got 2 2-persom canoes and a 2person dingy. and oars, near the water and tackle and lures B) What do you think of this concept in the alternative?

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 3:05 am
    • Wow Kitty I couldn't agree more about a pavilion looking SWEET in the back of blog cabin! I posted an episode of Indoors Out below that features the ultimate pavilion for entertaining and enjoying the good life outside.
      I love your planting suggestions above and would add in Japanese plum, Japanese maple ( the variety with red bark that shows so well in winter after its foliage has droped) and the Weeping Japanese Maple. These ornamental trees offer nice pops of color in a "green" space.

Mel on December 7, 2011 at 7:19 am
    • Mel I have Japanese Maple and love it! Does it grow in zone ? (whatever Maine is?) I've also had purple plum, but don't recall seeing a weeping Japanese Maple but I LOVE weeping anything, plant-wise. We must have several blueberry bushes, and apple trees. In reality some of this may already be there and, if so I hope they'll keep them. I just want to see the waterfront and to see Gross Pond too, for I intend to go ice skating there IF I win… Please bush hog a small road through the trees and brush, so one can explore the forest on the land?! Wide enough for a golf cart, please. Sometimes I cannot walk too steadily…but I try to as best I can.:D Kitty some kind of color and contrast year-round!!!B)

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 11:01 am
    • Oooops! There was supposed to be a "p.s." after my name and before my comment on color and contrast year round

Oyster shell drive through the woods' paving would be charming! Bring it on!!

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 12:21 pm
    • You're correct in that there's plenty of frontage on the Medomak river, more than I first thought when I measure it. I checked the tide levels for the river close to the BC. It's much as I thought. The difference between high & low water at the peak of the season (Spring & Fall) is a little over 11 ft. That's a huge height for a dock & pier. From the nautical charts there seems to be mud flats going out several hundred feet to the waters edge at low tide. Definitely not the place for a pier. It would probably cost more than the house after the reno. ;)

This is a DIY reno. show (not the DH -yet) so the possibility of any out-buildings is remote but how about dreaming of a traditional summer house with a wood burning stove somewhere near the waters edge. The winner could spend all summer down there and hardly need to use the main house. Great place to put the boisterous teenagers too if needed.;)

Clive on December 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm
    • I agree-see we need input like yours^_^
      That is very interesting about the tides. Now I can see what you were talking about in regards to putting in a dock,etc. A summer house or like DSDE brought a pavillion down by the water would be delightful. I am sure I can attract moose from there;)? Too early for me to even imagine landscaping-I love Red Maples, also River Birch are both wonderful. Right now I need to see FLOOR PLANS:S I want to talk inside first and then possibly adding on to this home if budget allows??:|??

ruffybc on December 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm
    • Ruffy, just so you are aware, moose aren't as cute and totally benign as Bullwinkle the Moose (oh, oh! I'm dating myself–you may be way too young to even know who cartoon character, Bullwinkle is!) I don't think they would necessarily try to hurt, unless they felt threat ened or their ma te inter rupt ed or bothered. I was in Banff, Canada, for a vacation once and they had moose all over the place!!! Never have seen so many at once! They are magnificent creatures and I LOVED seeing them peacefully meandering around our hotel grounds, the town, the roads, everywhere. Here's the deal: all shrubs and plantings must be "caged" within a heavy gauged metal protector! Otherwise, no shrubbery would remain to please the senses! Additionally, all drivers must be aware of moose and deer crossing roads, naturally. :)

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 8, 2011 at 12:02 am
    • A Dutch Neck local–probably Carol MacDonald (Camac)–mentioned in an earlier post that they had never seen a moose in that area….
      Kitty, you are lucky to have visited Banff–footage I have seen is a marvel.

LLColeman on December 8, 2011 at 3:14 am
    • Yes, Banff was a beauty out of this world! I went in 1995. We visited lots of glacier-formed areas. I would like to make time to do the same in Maine, They say much of Maine is glacier-originated. One can look at many stone formations and suspect such.

I seem to recall it was ON and off again Commenter/Poster, Adriana, who said she saw moose in Lincoln County? Anyone remember? It was early after the BC location announcement. She's another local. Wish she could come back! I bet we're loosing people who just don't want to chit-chat—but want meat and potatoes info–that is, house plans and talking about materials and preference votes!!! Don't we all, starving Posters??? AAAAARGH! :'(

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 8, 2011 at 12:45 pm
    • DSDE
      Not to worry, I have alot of respect for a full grown moose and otherwise. I am just a great animal and nature lover. Of course, I am kidding I do respect wildlife and would never want to harm any. Secondly, unfortunately I more than remember Bullwinkle^_^ love that cartoon series-I wish they would bring those cartoons back-very clever.
      I romanticize the idea of even remotely having a moose appear on property I owned along with all the other wildlife that may appear-I would love to live somewhere like that-and being near the ocean to boot! My dream come true:)
      I do think moose are very goofy looking-they are just so lanky-they need to grow into their legs^_^ the babies are just too adorably goofy. I might put out a salt lick-if I knew for sure it would do no harm to the animal or the environment.
      So I will continue my love of moose-the name is even funny:p Don't take everything I say to heart. Unless of course I am asking for FLOOR PLANS! OR
      any kind of COMMUNICATION FROM ANYONE-even a MOOSE!o.0

ruffybc on December 8, 2011 at 9:11 am
    • Well, It just seems, the older I get the younger everyone else is! I thought you could have missed the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon–which I loved–I didn't want to assume! :D You brought up an excellent point, Ruffie: their goofy legs must really be stilts! otherwise how else could moose walk so smoothly through deep snow? I figured you already knew about moose too, but wanted to make sure you didn't invite one over to pet him while he was otherwise occupied with preparing for a male to male battle over a sweet doe-eyed moossA! What I love about moose are their gigantic rubbery soft fuzzy snouts and mouths that invite one to rub… Now, what could be awesome is to build a natural relationship with a small herd of young wild moose or even deer, who would come over to graze the field on that acreage and who wouldn't be skittish an dart when we went out to watch and photograph their beauty! Wouldn't that be cool? So soft! If a herd lived close by, it would be beautiful and challenging, should they decide they want to eat your shrubs–that's all I meant. I know how much of an outdoor animal lover you are–that's what I connected with you, Ruffy,, from the get go! ^_^ So am I!B)

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 8, 2011 at 11:46 am
    • OOPS!!! I misspelled your name! SHAME ON ME!, Ruffy [line4]:$<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 8, 2011 at 11:54 am
    • DSDE<3B)

ruffybc on December 8, 2011 at 12:33 pm
    • If the DIY folks would do a pavillion as I have proposed, a wood burning stove as you suggested, would be a must! I would want to boil my lobsters out there, and certainly do multiple other types of cooking. With netting for insect protection, it would be great to have the option of hanging several hammocks for overnighting there–please, music capability= YES–TV=NO! I am really pumped by all the scientific and research knowledge-based information you are sharing, Clive–It's great! Thanks!

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 8, 2011 at 12:24 am
    • Yikes! I just re-read my post (which I failed to check and edit this time…ugh! Sorry Clive, et al–I really laced it with typos and errors–mucho sorry folks! =/

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 10:50 am
    • I've seen floats which are tied up close to land with a wooden walkway and short "bridge" to step onto the float. Floats simply bob up and down with the tides and work pretty well for launching small watercraft such as canoes, kayaks and dinghy. Personally I prefer a small dinghy, because it's a bit steadier for line fishing–that is you drop the line straight down–no rod/no reel. That's how I learned to fish in Maine at age 2.5! Great for flounder. I just hope, hope, hope that they will give us a bunch of big rocks and boulders–I'm missing those, which are generally ubiquitous to Maine but just not on this particular property! Booo hoooo! Rocks?:o<3 Not expecting any float or dock, never have. easy launch at land side….:)

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm
    • lots of good points Clive, I love gazebos, with all that water and pomds I bet in the summeer it could get buggy.

vicki_in_Utah on December 7, 2011 at 10:10 am
    • It IS buggy in Maine–mosquitoes, biting flies and gnats! o.0

I like a pavilion, as opposed to a gazebo. Pavilion with hanging mosquito nets all around fits more people, allows more options, like fish cleaning and lobster cooking area, plus BBQ, + sink+icemaker and storage, etc. Even the dinghy and 2, 2-person canoes could be kept there, with careful planning! A "head" or "powder room" would be helpful, and outdoor shower, IS NECESSARY due to mudflats and clamming in back yard mudflats! ^_^

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm
    • I'll guess the pond area and the little creek/inlet may get a lot of blood sucking bugs. However, the shoreline on the river will probably be OK. There's usually a good breeze on the edge of an estury like that. Being tidal, with time to dry out between tides, and with a strong current (warnings about the current and strong tides are on the USCGS navigation maps) will be a big hindrance to skeeters living down by the river.

Clive on December 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm
    • Clive, am I correct in understanding that you read that the USCGS nav maps indicate that currents are strong in Waldoboro or did you mean we should refer to their maps to decipher when the currents will be strong? Duh–me?:S Thanks I'm fascinated with all the new science you are sharing with us! :D

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 11:43 pm
    • My information comes from USCGS documents and maps plus a few other cross references including a 1903 US Coast Pilot Handbook. There is repeated mention of strong tidal currents in the Medomak river estuary. Waldoboro is at the head of the estuary and unaffected. However, by offshore of the BC and further east there is a strong tidal current and shoals. It's unsurprising as most long, shallow estuaries have this phenomenon. Waldoboro was once a coastal steamer port where steamers could link to the railroad in the town. There are some old, disused wharves there I have read. Because of this navigation conditions in the river were well mapped and documented .

Clive on December 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm
    • Clive do you like to fish? I'd plan to ice fish on Gross/Peter's Pond as well as ice skate there. I really want the pavilion to have water and fish cleaning facilities, don't you?

Having a bush hogged golf cart-wide pathway through the woods across the street to the pond would be my dream, since I have flareups of neuropathy and cannot walk at times. What a delight, for I love the woods! And they should have plentiful oyster shells to "pave the way through. Even a used golf cart would lend itself very nicely to chores on the land.

When Hubby and I lived on 7.5 acres, we had an old golf cart and it was a Godsend to haul garbage to road for pickup, carry plants and tools to designated spots, etc. Tremendous help, not that costly–and not fancy either–just practical. B)

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm
    • 3) Did anyone catch the shoppers in front of Burberry's in the into video? That was actually Freeport. There are several good eating places in Freeport while you shop, including Linda Bean's. Now, I believe that her lobster roll place is separate from LL Beans, which is also in, I think, 2-3 buildings now. There's the Sporting Goods, supplies and attire, the clothing and home things, like down comforters, etc. Much more, too numerous to go there. I'm kinda' zapped out and skittish on that matter.

If you saw Hills and mountains in the video Intro to BC 2012, these are more inland AND/OR really begin shore side around Camden, ME, not too far NORTH of Waldoboro. And they are gorgeous in Main check out their Mountain Lakes too! :)

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 5, 2011 at 11:10 am
    • …that's INTRO video! Sorry!

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 5, 2011 at 11:21 am
    • Kitty Thank You for all of the additional insight into this video. I have so much to learn about Maine! :)

Mel on December 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm
    • Just another boredom insert of things to do in Maine—"And the along comes Maryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" [maybe is she gets bored with us she'll have pity? Nah!

Are there any White Water Rafters out there? MOI, of course! Any others? White water rafting is a hoot! My 1st time was in Banff Canada, in March snowfall–we wore rubber suits and acted like kids with our paddles spraying rafters in the other rafts. Racing down the rapids. woohoo! I never laughed so much in all my life! Well, Maine offers great white water rafting places, check it out when you go—you won't regret it Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!xD

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 8, 2011 at 12:10 pm
  7. Hello fellow bloggers, it's been a while since I've gotten a chance to get on the blog to talk with you, and I've missed you guys! I was surprised to see that the thread hasn't been changed since last time I blogged. What's going on???
    If I were Carol, I'd be getting very antsy about my picture being on there so long. I understand the sentiments of AnneEliseSouth mentioned above. :)

I haven't been blogging because my husband has been in hospital after having a stroke. Thankfully, it wasn't major enough to cause any serious damage, but it has slowed him down considerably. I think it damaged my psyche more than his. lol No, seriously, he has been having a series of TIA's (mini-strokes) for the past year or so,and this one was much worse than those,so it scared me to death.
    I know from reading this blog for so long, all of you tend to offer prayers and well-wishes to those on the blog or their family members when one of them is sick. Apparently, it works because they seem to get better. Please, remember my husband as well???

carafey*ky on December 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm
    • Oh, my, Carafey*ky! I am so sorry to hear of your Husband's stroke and and the TIA's they are certainly warning signs; also, the disabilities' situation and all that these life changes entail. It is a heavy weight to carry alone, just the 2 of you! I just had to stop everything and pray for you, for you touched my heart immediately! I, too, am an animal lover–and rescuer–and have very serious health stuff going on; and, which forced me into early retirement, including some complicated question\s which are, as yet, unanswered. I also was caregiver for my Mother and her "little " brother a total of 19 years (she 19, my uncle 3) so I think I have a grasp on what you're into. Like you I'm a sucker for warm furry little critters.^_^

I'm new to blogging. This is my 1st. I did lurk around this blog most of last year and got a feel for the main bloggers and followed you informally, among others. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Prayer does change things and it can help bring peace that passes all human comprehension and helps us cope with the weight we are carrying. Hang in there new Blogger friend ! Lots of very genuine and very special Bloggers on this DIY one!!! I am amazed at the group–and very thankful!!! May healing, hope and peace fill you and your Hubby during this Season of God's Love. Kitty<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2011 at 6:37 pm
    • Kitty I'm so glad you went from lurking to commenting. :) It is always a pleasure to read your posts and learn more about you. I can only imagine how much your mother and uncle loved and appreciated you and all that you did for them. It's easy for me to see you as a caregiver and I am touched by that as well as how you also try to keep this blog humming along. Thankfully there are bloggers on this site who remain passionate regarding blog cabin with all of it's twists & turns and at times DIY neglect.

Hopefully Mary will make an appearance this week. LLColeman wrote the best desciption, which unfortunately I can't quote but gave the delightful imagery of Mary flying from nest to nest (HGTV & DIY sites) and feeding all of her "little birdie bloggers" tidbits of information when she puts up a new thread. Us bloggers are certainly in need of a feeding from Mary.

Mel on December 4, 2011 at 8:25 pm
    • Thanks, Mel!! I have been enjoying getting to know you as well! :D I can see you as part of the main glue and golden thread that weaves this group's synergy together! Until Trish's Hubby said we were Posters and not Bloggers, I thought we were the latter, but now, I'm a bit confused. We've been posting and managing all our topics for over a month now–quite well, I might add.

You are a fantabulous storyteller, and creative poster, we haven't lacked for subjectmatter–just DIY subjects–a bit odd for a BC Blog! Your focus on the details of the BC effort is both relevant and on the ball and I've noticed how faithfully, you always bring us back around to the job at hand! I always look forward to your posts!<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 5, 2011 at 11:37 am
    • Thanks Kitty for those kind comments. I know there are bloggers on here that can really make me laugh, teach me something, and get me to see something with a fresh perspective. :)
      Mary really does need to give us something new regarding BC Maine to talk about. You & I can't just exchange compliments until it's time to enter next years contest can we??? LOL :) :) :)

Mel on December 5, 2011 at 9:19 pm
    • Carafey*ky you and your husband will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. :) I pray your husband has a full recovery and is soon back to his full vigor. I also hope that knowing that others are praying for him can ease your own worrying a bit. Prayer is a most powerful force.

I also want to Thank You for the good deeds you are doing for other living beings that need help from us humans. It shows you have a big heart, with a grand capacity to give love. Godspeed to your husband & you. Please continue to let us know how he is doing. There are definitely people on this blog that care about others and want to send positive energy & good will out to others when it is needed.

Mel on December 4, 2011 at 7:55 pm
    • carafey*ky, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I was my sister's caregiver, who suffered from TIA's before her passing, so I have have been in your s.hoes. Please know that I send you my thoughts, prayers, and above all strength to see you and your husband through. It WILL get better, stay positive.

Dghawk4 on December 4, 2011 at 11:39 pm
    • carafey, absolutely you will have prayers and warm wishes for your husband's recovery…this is a non-denominational prayer group on this blog, and I believe in the power of each of these great people. Everything helps, and we stand with you. Please let us know how things go whenever you can. <3

LLColeman on December 5, 2011 at 4:17 am
    • Dear carafey*ky, I am so sorry to hear of your Husbands illness, you and your husband will be in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for his speedy recovery and pray "that you will be given strength" to get
      through this difficult time. You both sound like wonderful, caring people with big hearts.
      I love animals especially Cats, I could never do what you do because I would get attached to them
      and couldn't give them up, then I would be in the dog house….I'm so glad their are people like you that give their time and love to these animals. Thank you, you are very special people…. Take care and stay strong.

Jennie/Florida on December 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm
    • Best wishes to your husband and yourself Carafey.

windsmurf on December 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm
    • Hi, Carafey! I'm just checking in on you and Hubby! Prayers continue. Know that we care–keep looking up! May He that is known as Prince of Peace give and be your Peace, now and forever! Amen! Kitty <3

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm
    • Hi carafey*ky, I've been keeping you in my thoughts and heart and praying for your Husband and you. How are things? Never give up dear Blog Friend! look up and know that you are never alone! <3 thoughts and prayers, Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 13, 2011 at 10:45 pm
  8. When one of us gets out of commission, it makes it very hard on both of us because we have taken in stray animals over the past thirty years, and now have nearly the equivalent of a kennel (dogs and cats)! We're both avid animal lovers and have always grieved over the inhumane treatment they have had to suffer in their lives. Having been part of an animal rescue group a couple of years ago, we saw a lot of the abuse results firsthand. Needless to say, I failed as a foster parent because I kept falling in love with the animals I tried to foster and adopted them. To make a long story short, we work very hard to take care of all of them the way we feel is necessary. It's a full-time job and very expensive, but we love our precious little critters!
    Since we're now senior citizens (barely, lol) and both are disabled, it takes both of us to do all the work entailed.
    Sorry that I got so longwinded with my little tale of woe. I just meant to ask for your prayers…duh! :)

I'm going back on the blog to catch up now, and hopefully, we can start fresh in the morning with a new thread!

carafey*ky on December 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm
  9. I read your post to my hub. He decided to tell me that we're the POSTERS…not the blogger. Guess that's what Mary is called. We just post our response to the new thread we've been requesting.
    My husband asked why I sighed. He wondered what I could read to have me sighing…and praying so quickly. Hoping the very best for both of you, dwnsdwneaster & carafey

Trish on December 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm
    • :D Trish, you are so very thoughtful! I appreciate your prayers more than you know. I also have been so trying to keep my situation low key 'cause we don't have all the answers yet.—just symptoms and specialists working in tandem. I really felt it important for Carafey to have a sense of how I could understand and empathize withwhere she and her Hubby are right now. Thank you!

That is most interesting about what your Husband said : we are:posters!!! Maybe if we are all good posters and let Mary off lightly, she'll have Victoria hang us all on a wreck room wall at BC?

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2011 at 8:20 pm
    • Trish I just wrote a heartfelt thank you! It was Zapped!!!

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm
    • did you say b e e r or s h o e s? That got me zapped a while ago.

vicki_in_Utah on December 4, 2011 at 8:33 pm
    • Nope, neither, Vicki–I think it's my night, tonight. Must remember to write shorties. I'm a celebrity for describing scuffed by oyster shell sho es. I'm so irked, I just had a cold one of the other thingys you mentioned…B):p

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm
    • And again… :D Trish, you are so very thoughtful! I appreciate your prayers more than you know. I also have been trying to stay low key about me, because we don't have all the answers yet.—just symptoms and medical specialists working together –most of all I like focusing on others–that helps fulfill me.

I really felt it important for Carafey to have a sense of how I understand and empathize with her and he Hubby right now. Thank you for your sweet and encouraging words!!

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2011 at 9:57 pm
    • Zapped again. New try # 3 One would think the topic matter might steer admin to feel badly about their para noi a. Think of every appreciative, sincere, heartfelt thank you–from my heart .<3 plus a funny thought about being posters and what Victoria could do with all of us in the wreck room.. oh-oh I'm gonna get zapped????:S

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2011 at 10:07 pm
    • Hooray! Well not good writing but you can figure it out, Trish! ^_^

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2011 at 10:09 pm
    • I thought of the word "posters" and have a true funny story about one. I mean….the olden meaning of the word poster: a display that can be placed on a wall. lol Decided it needed a definition.

Years ago, our teenaged baby sitter had a POSTER of one of her famous heart throbs. Don't ask me which one, I don't keep up with them. One evening, while looking out our patio door, I could see this GUY in her bedroom while her mother was to be at work. I quickly called the house to see if she were ok. She said, "Yes." Then, I had proceed with the questioning mothers might use….to get a response about a guy in her room. She laughed and told me….it was a poster. As mothers, we stick together. But, even her mother had to laugh at my mistake. lol

Trish on December 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm
  10. i hope we get a early Christmas present on Monday, a new threat, and floor plans.

vicki_in_Utah on December 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm
    • Vicki we really do need to see floor plans before voting begins.

I know I'm ready now in December to help design the outdoor living spaces! LOL
      I was also hoping for a vlog of Steve Malcom from the Knickerbocker group. Why film him just for Scripps? They could just confrence call/fax their guest hosts about the areas/demensions they will be designing for blog cabin. Us bloggers and voters need to SEE that walk through….Of course I remain on stand by for any needed participation in confrence calls or receiving of faxes myself regarding blog cabin 2012! Yes I am typing with my left hand only and making the universal sign of "call me" with my right :)

Mel on December 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm
    • yes it would be so nice to have floor plans before we vote tor things. I miss the vlogs we got from Chuck on BC 2010 when they were doing the demo. But i guess it is too late for that on the 2012 Bc from the sounds of it, they are already doing it.

vicki_in_Utah on December 5, 2011 at 5:17 pm
    • None of our threats have worked so far to get a new thread going

windsmurf on December 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm
    • oops i did mean thread.

vicki_in_Utah on December 6, 2011 at 6:39 pm
    • well, vicki, it does seem odd that whenever DebraG 'threatened' a Flash Mob at Scripps headquarters we suddenly had a new thread from Mary within a day or two…lol ;)

LLColeman on December 7, 2011 at 1:35 am
    • oh yes that's right maybe she better do i again..lol…DebraG were are you?

vicki_in_Utah on December 7, 2011 at 10:14 am
    • :*Vicki, I knew all along what you meant,, tee-hee. It was too cute to say anything and it fit the "mood."xD

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 10:34 am
    • I knew what you meant, I was just trying to be funny:p

windsmurf on December 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm
    • BE-U-TIFUL AND TACTFUL SEGUE TO CORRECT WORD! :) And so correct: our threats haven't worked, have they?;)

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2011 at 10:31 am