Aug 26

Irene and Blog Cabin

Hi, folks.

I am dropping in today to speak briefly about Hurricane Irene. We’re prepared to batten down the hatches at Blog Cabin 2011 and attend to any storm damage promptly. The home will be delivered to the winner in immaculate condition.

Just FYI: Tuesday’s earthquake left Mathews County, Va. — and Blog Cabin — undamaged. We’re hoping Irene blows over with little to no drama.

• Posted at 11:00 am on August 8, 2011

1. Thank you Mary for telling us this. I know that was one of the things I thought about. Was it going to be damaged and what would happen. The home is so beautiful. I hope nothing happens to it. I also have all my prayers going for all the people living in the path of Irene.

funfordot on August 26, 2011 at 11:23 am
    • I woke up this morning hoping DIY would write something about the beautiful Blog Cabin and the hurricane, turn on the computer and pleasantly surprised. So hope everything stays sort of calm there. Maybe we can hope for a big beach with lots of nice sand.

LighthouseKid on August 26, 2011 at 11:36 am
    • Beautiful comment funfordot, we are all together on this concern.

Janzee on August 28, 2011 at 1:30 am
    • Ditto!

Dgaetano on August 29, 2011 at 1:50 pm
    • I live in NC and worried about everyone on the coast, ( I used to live outside of Phila ) so it was tense,and I wondered if the blogcabin made it thru since it was right on the water….
      I really want this house so bad,….it reminded me of the farm house I grew up in in PA (ours had several porches) we had 17 acres, this has 16….
      I do hope whoever wins this place appreciates the life of the house (circa 1905)
      sorry hooking onto ur input,…I forgot my password and didnt want to wait to retrieve it :)

joy on August 30, 2011 at 2:55 am
  2. Soooo excited about this years Blog Cabin…This has been My first year of Start to (hopefuly end) of this project. I have folled it on line voting for floor plans, colors, tiles and decortions, now am watching the shows, all the Blog shows as well as the quest shows. I feel like I have a vested interest in this years Cabin! Go Away Irene! Someone is in for a real treat! L.Jean

L. Jean on August 26, 2011 at 11:30 am
  3. Found Blog Cabin last year, and started reading the blog with this years cabin. I have been wanting to join the fun ,but held back. Now is the time. What are you doing with all the outdoor furniture? (no garage and no outbuilding. Which ,by the way if this is a "vacation home" what does the owner do each time THEY leave? Bring everything inside?) Also will you board up all the windows. Have you tried to stop damage from happening or just planning to refix the cabin yet again? Curious enough to finally write.

Dilly Dog on August 26, 2011 at 11:36 am
    • Go back and read some of the blogs on the previous thread and most of your questions are answered. DIY would not leave any of the outdoor furniture, coushions, grill etc outside before the winner takes ownership even if the weather were calm and sunny from now until that day. It's all in storage you can bet.

If you go to the sections where the products that were used in the remodel are listed you can read all about the strength of the various materials used such as the windows, siding, roof etc. That should help.

Sally on August 26, 2011 at 11:52 am
    • Thank you so much. Been on vacation so I have not yet read the blogs from the past couple of weeks. Getting ready to do so now. Mary, THANKYOU for keeping us informed. We shouldn't have to be worried. DIY has done a great job with the cabin. This storm will be a testimony on how well they did. Praying the Lord's protection on all Matthews county and surrounding areas.

Dilly Dog on August 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm
    • Still doesn't answer a very good question. Where are out door furniture, canoes and kayaks stored when not staying there. Did I go through the tour too quickly. Didn't see any storage area. Sturdy fabrics are wondeful but do they sit out doors 24/7?

Sherry on September 3, 2011 at 10:14 pm
    • Welcome to the blog Dilly Dog! HGTV and DIY are the best. Know that any property associated with them receives exceptional treatment.

Lessie on August 26, 2011 at 9:03 pm
  4. Thank you, Mary. I too had concerns for the folks in VA and Mathews County. Not so much about the physical damage, that can be repaired, but where do people go should Irene decide to saturate the area with storm surge? Do they head to Williamsburg? Further inland?

Between the tornados, the hurricanes and other tests of Mother Nature one thing is certain; you'd better be of a hardy lot if you plan to live in this area! ;) Keeping my fingers crossed Irene takes a right and leaves everyone alone!

Debra G. on August 26, 2011 at 11:45 am
    • You are a very special caring person our Debra G. you have a special love for this area, and I know have many family and friends in the area. Standing with each and everyone here.

Janzee on August 28, 2011 at 1:32 am
    • Mother Nature is not testing us, but sending a very loud message from someone higher. And we better start listening.

Mikej on August 28, 2011 at 12:35 pm
    • How true Mikej!!

Mary on August 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm
    • Stop & think about it…..no matter what area you live in, there are natural disasters indigenous there. Hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, wild-fires, tornadoes, mud slides, tidal waves, floods, & so forth; you cannot escape Mother Nature. Mikej is so very right, as I posted earlier……we need to listen to what our Mother Earth is telling us–stop raping Her or else !!!

gremol on August 28, 2011 at 5:54 pm
  5. Just board it up and head to safety. Stay safe all my new neighbors and friends. hehe. xoxo

crezbatl on August 26, 2011 at 12:10 pm
  6. For those who wish to track Irene or find her position along the coast at any time, the following link will provide real-time information. http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/page?id=14355852

Let's hope she finds open water more interesting than coastal properties like Twin Coves and quickly weakens in the colder waters of the Northern Atlantic.

DBCoop on August 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm
    • Thanks for the link Coop. Surely agree with hoping Irene turns out to sea or weakens.

SID on August 26, 2011 at 2:51 pm
    • Great site. I bookmarked it. If you click on Latest News, there are camera icons to click on in different locations with some excellent pictures of the storm as it came through.

Lindingo on August 26, 2011 at 7:41 pm
    • Thanks for the tip Lindingo. Will check it out.

Lessie on August 26, 2011 at 9:09 pm
    • Thanks for the link Coop. Will definitely be checking it out……A LOT!!!!

Lessie on August 26, 2011 at 9:07 pm
    • Thanks for that link. Coincidentally, when I looked at 5:15 p.m. Eastern Time, it looked like Irene was directly over the Blog Cabin. I'm hoping it's OK, and I'm also hoping for the best for all of the folks along Irene's path.

Wyo_Girl on August 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm
    • That's what I thought too, Wyo_Girl. It looked like the eye went directly over Susan, VA.

irishsprite on August 27, 2011 at 11:30 pm
  7. I hope this observation will not offend diehard Twin Coves lovers.

I would rather the house were completely destroyed than one life be lost to this storm anywhere. It would be a great pity after all the hard work if the house is seriously damaged but it can all be repaired or replaced. In the worst case scenario DIY can still give the winner an option of the house when it's rebuilt / repaired or the cash equivalent of the ARV. The rules are set up for that eventuality and were invoked in 2009 when, for legal reasons, the house couldn't be awarded.

Lives can't be replaced when lost. Livelihoods will certainly be lost and many people will be in dire straits after this storm if it continues on track. They will need our help and support for some considerable time. Maybe one of these people will be the fortunate winner (it happened with the lady from New Orleans after Katrina).

However, my biggest hope is that the weather patterns change and this monster either looses strength or moves east.

DonD on August 26, 2011 at 12:28 pm
    • DonD so well said! :) Mary thank you for this post. I have family that don't live far from the projected NC strike zone, and they are safely evacuated. Homes can be rebuilt, people can't.

Mel on August 26, 2011 at 1:03 pm
    • No offense DonD. You are absolutely right, it is the people in the path of the storm that matter most of all! Still I am grateful for the efforts taken to secure "our" lovely BC, and to Mary for reassuring us with her update.

SID on August 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm
    • I agree with you DonD. However Irene has already brought tragedy to Virginia Beach, a 22 year old surfer. I pray that people realize the enormity of this storm and get out of harm's way.

Lessie on August 26, 2011 at 9:18 pm
    • Lessie – this was not Irene related, but I'm sure will be played as such. He drowned Thursday night. The following is from Fox 43tv.com

Man drowns in Croatan
      Lee Terrell, 22, died Aug. 25
      Updated: Friday, 26 Aug 2011, 6:18 PM EDT
      Published : Friday, 26 Aug 2011, 6:18 PM EDT

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) – A Virginia Beach drowning victim has been identified.

On Aug. 25, 22-year-old Lee Terrell, of the 7700 block of Leafwood Drive in Norfolk, was surfing about 50 yard off shore in waist deep water in Croatan.

Terrell paddled out past two waves when two of his friends noticed him begin to struggle in the water.

Terrell's friends and a bystander pulled him to shore, where a nurse and another citizen began CPR.

Virginia Beach EMS and Fire crews responded to the scene at 6:19 p.m.

They continued resuscitation attempts and transported Terrell to Virginia Beach General Hospital, where he later died.

TOB on August 27, 2011 at 10:10 am
    • DonD, there is absolutely nothing offensive about your compassionate and thoughtful post. If people have blogged that they hope the house stays in one piece, it does not mean that they value human safety any less. I am sure everyone is very concerned for the millions of people who may potentially be affected by Irene. <3

LLColeman on August 27, 2011 at 3:12 am
  8. What a wonderful surprise to see the information from Mary, thank you so much! I have watched HGTV for a few years now, and it never entered my mind that the house wouldn't be presented in immaculate condition by folks who know how to do things right. Thanks DBCoop for the terrific link. I have a cousin in NYC, but even though she isn't in a low-lying area, she has headed out of town. Before this blog, I would have been concerned about all the people in Irene's path, but now I have some names to those numbers, I will be waiting to know they have weathered this storm safely.

MollMick on August 26, 2011 at 12:38 pm
    • Well said, MollMick.

SID on August 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm
    • I linking HGTV and DIY together in my mind… both organizations have such high standards that I think I can tar them with the same brush to neither's detriment…

MollMick on August 26, 2011 at 8:14 pm
  9. New blogger :0 I Love this home!! Irene in Greek means 'Peace." Praying God's Peace would be with all in Irene's path. Thanks to all who have lavishly poured out on this home!! It's beautiful<3

BigFaith on August 26, 2011 at 12:58 pm
    • Welcome BigFaith!!! Thanks for the Greek translation of Irene. May everyone in Irene's path have peace of mind before, during, and after Irene passes.

Lessie on August 27, 2011 at 9:36 am
  10. Was happy to see such a beautiful place was not affected by the eartquake. Where are you going to syore all the outdoor furnishings etc during the hurricane? I am praying daily for the safety of all in Irene's path. Please Lord let it turn & stay out way over the ocean.

lmatthews48 on August 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm
    • Welcome lmatthews! I'm sure Hurricane Irene is no surprise to the Lord and that all will turn out well whatever the circumstances.

Lessie on August 27, 2011 at 9:38 am