Jun 29

Meet Victoria Lesser

Matt Blashaw and Victoria Lesser discuss a special Blog Cabin 2011 how-to project.

Can I share a little secret? There’s a very talented woman who, until today, we have not mentioned in the blog. Her name is Victoria Lesser and she is the person responsible for this year’s Blog Cabin interior design.

Victoria is a self-taught designer (how appropriate for this DIY Network project) who formerly served as a handbag and clothing designer. “Design talents just come naturally,” she says. “Having such notable clients as Bill Cosby, the Bee Gees and Aerosmith made it possible for me to practice my art at the highest level.” A master’s degree in psychology has also come in handy for this talented professional – how else could someone dress both someone’s body and bed, she says.

Victoria has been involved in the renovation, restoration and decoration of homes for more than 30 years now, and describes her interior design style as “eclectic,” yet in keeping with the style and period of the home. “When it comes to the individual rooms, I take into account the purpose the room must serve, thus ensuring the pieces selected to dress the space will perform well and provide comfort as well as please the eye,” she says.

How did DIY Network discover this gem? Victoria owns and operates Old North Branch Inn, a country bed and breakfast just a stone’s throw from Blog Cabin 2010 in upstate New York. DIY Network programming director Steven Lerner, an inn guest, was so impressed by the interiors that he invited Victoria to stage the 2010 home for a special open house. A working relationship was established.

When approaching this year’s project, Victoria took into account both the home’s historic signifigance and its location along the Chesapeake. Found and repurposed items play a major role in her overall design scheme. Her favorite decorative accent? A vintage sculling oar purchased at a Mathews thrift store. “This oar must have traveled many miles through the local waters and now serves as the handrail of the main staircase,” she says.

Editor’s Note: Our virtual home tour launches on August 15 at 9 a.m. ET. Look for more insider details from Victoria and Blog Cabin 2011 show host Matt Blashaw at that time.

• Posted at 1:20 pm on June 6, 2011

1. I am seriously dying to get inside, now! Is it August, yet?!?!

Debra G. on June 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm
    • Too bad we don't have a time machine, Debra G, to go forward..tee hee.

vicki_in_Utah on June 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm
    • I realize you don't have much of a season change from the rainy season to the warm rainy season; so you're forever confused about months, but come on Debra, surely you remember there are at least 2 warm rainy months in the summer before the warmest month of August. Oh and by the way the 4th of July is on Monday and today is Thursday June 30th.
      Just trying to reorient you with your internal calendar, it's clearly confused. :S

Cami on June 30, 2011 at 3:32 pm
  2. The excitement is mounting! A new designer, means the unexpected is waiting for us. I love it when people repurpose items…such creativity lends itself to breed more creativity–or so I think. Oh how this home appeals to me <3 <3 <3
    :* :p

zipdedoda on June 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm
  3. No problem never did. But I really wish it would have been a truly needy family. {Since she exaggerated a little – Her last day of work was Tuesday (she hadn't even got a chance to apply for unemployment) and they are hoping to recall her if they get grant funding. The neighbors state the family is "quite well off".}

Nebraska on June 30, 2011 at 4:26 pm
    • Yeah, What I really was hoping for was someone that was on their last leg of hope, as you said someone "Truly needy" and not someone who really don't need it, and can manage to live without it plus would have never have missed if they didn't win it.

Tom K on June 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm
  4. I love her Bed and Breakfast. Its so quaint. I love the fourth room and that great corner shower.

Nebraska on June 30, 2011 at 4:39 pm
  5. That's a tough question. 60 and rainy is tolerable unless it is windy too; nobody likes to be pelleted in the face with cats and dogs. But only sixty degrees on the last day of June? Yes I see why you're confused. You should have 70's in June 80's in July and at least a high of 90 in August, but mostly 70's and 80's. That was just guessing. 60? warm or not warm that's the question. o.0

Cami on June 30, 2011 at 6:23 pm
    • And people wonder WHY I am so ready to move… LOL!!

Debra G. on June 30, 2011 at 6:31 pm
    • Oh, my! Will gladly do a house swap with you…we've been dry and in 90s since April…100s for multiple weeks now :p I'm so tired of heat *bleh*

redbarnartist on July 1, 2011 at 5:37 am
  6. Perfect! Harry Potter on July 15 and virtual home tour on August 15. Love it.

jolie_blonde on June 30, 2011 at 11:16 pm
  7. maria, I saw the photos too. Besides the Great Dane and Pug, (the light colored dog), she appears to have a black French Bull Dog (you can tell from the size of the ears–they look like bats, LOL ). I am obsessed with Frenchies— & also with my dog. Mine is a Boston Terrier, but he looks like a mini Boxer, only he is black & white.( He has a Boxer build, and long legs–odd for a BT) He also uses his paws all the time. Most dogs will push something with their noses, or get at things with their mouths–but whenever he can, Taz tries to use his paws–even playing with other dogs. He will push at them with his front paws–a bit too hard, and most dogs are not thrilled by this; playtimes end quickly, lol.

LLColeman on July 1, 2011 at 3:31 am
    • Hi LLC on second look you are right, that is a french bull…they are cute, and very expensive…Victoria must do very well…LOL My girls use their front paws for everything too. The baby Zuzu goes up to the older Starr and pushes her with both her front paws, HARD, I don't know how Starr puts up with it…o.0

maria_w_in_nj on July 1, 2011 at 8:58 am
    • LOL, I have heard that Boxers use their paws that way–Taz has AKC papers, (but there has to be a Boxer throwback in the ancestry) so I should have raised him with Boxers. We had a Rhodesian Ridgeback for 10 years, and she would growl if he got out of line with her–she out-weighed him by 65 lbs.. Taz plays the same way as Zuzu–they'd probably get along, because no other dogs can stand the way Taz plays. Too bad I am in CA!

LLColeman on July 2, 2011 at 12:27 am
  8. Well, I guess we cannot know what the financial picture is for someone else, but I will point out that:
    1. An attached town home is hardly a mansion 2. The family could be renters, or owners, either all paid up–or, what if they are underwater ? We can't know any of these things. 3. With the state of education budgets, there may be no guarantee of funding for support staff at her school. I am not in NJ, but can't imagine any state's education budget is in good shape. I was an outreach specialist in CA schools, in addition to being a substitute teacher and former special ed. aide.( I was laid off 10 years ago in our bankrupt state–there have been no openings since.)

LLColeman on July 1, 2011 at 3:46 am
  9. Well one things for sure DIY likes to re-invent BC, and yes it appears in hearing about Ms. Lesser they do care about pleasing us bloggers. Last year was the first year no local artisans were used, and they brought in their own stars to renovate a room to be featured on their individual shows. Several bloggers let DIY know the artisans were greatly missed. So what did the brains @ DIY come up with? Maybe the perfect union. :) They married the creative mind and ideas of an artisan with the building skill and unique abilities of their individual stars. From the little we have seen of what this blending has created, the effect is going to be stunning!! DIY you guys are teaching me it ain't over, until it's over.

Mel on July 1, 2011 at 6:29 pm
  10. HAPPY 4th TO ALL!! At Blog Cabin in Susan, VA a nice outdoors barbeque, grilled fish, shrimp and crabs on a half shell. And Oysters… yum, yum !! A tub full of cold drinks, a gallon of sweet tea. Sit around the firepit, tell stories and lies… whatever. :-) Watch the sunset in the west, watch the boaters admire the home on the bay …. (Blog Cabin). Run your toes through the sand, slap a couple of gnats. Watch all the outdoor lights come on outside the Blog Cabin… (lookin' real nice!). Watch the stars come up in the sky. Get tired and sleepy, take a long bath in the big super duper tub in the master bath. Go to sleep in the master bedroom, with a view!!!! Ahhhh, life doesn't get any better than this. Beverly :-)

bevmontana on July 1, 2011 at 7:13 pm
    • You forgot the Smith Island cake! Oh. no!

AnneEliseSouth on July 1, 2011 at 8:01 pm