Jun 29

Meet Victoria Lesser

Matt Blashaw and Victoria Lesser discuss a special Blog Cabin 2011 how-to project.

Can I share a little secret? There’s a very talented woman who, until today, we have not mentioned in the blog. Her name is Victoria Lesser and she is the person responsible for this year’s Blog Cabin interior design.

Victoria is a self-taught designer (how appropriate for this DIY Network project) who formerly served as a handbag and clothing designer. “Design talents just come naturally,” she says. “Having such notable clients as Bill Cosby, the Bee Gees and Aerosmith made it possible for me to practice my art at the highest level.” A master’s degree in psychology has also come in handy for this talented professional – how else could someone dress both someone’s body and bed, she says.

Victoria has been involved in the renovation, restoration and decoration of homes for more than 30 years now, and describes her interior design style as “eclectic,” yet in keeping with the style and period of the home. “When it comes to the individual rooms, I take into account the purpose the room must serve, thus ensuring the pieces selected to dress the space will perform well and provide comfort as well as please the eye,” she says.

How did DIY Network discover this gem? Victoria owns and operates Old North Branch Inn, a country bed and breakfast just a stone’s throw from Blog Cabin 2010 in upstate New York. DIY Network programming director Steven Lerner, an inn guest, was so impressed by the interiors that he invited Victoria to stage the 2010 home for a special open house. A working relationship was established.

When approaching this year’s project, Victoria took into account both the home’s historic signifigance and its location along the Chesapeake. Found and repurposed items play a major role in her overall design scheme. Her favorite decorative accent? A vintage sculling oar purchased at a Mathews thrift store. “This oar must have traveled many miles through the local waters and now serves as the handrail of the main staircase,” she says.

Editor’s Note: Our virtual home tour launches on August 15 at 9 a.m. ET. Look for more insider details from Victoria and Blog Cabin 2011 show host Matt Blashaw at that time.

• Posted at 1:20 pm on June 6, 2011

1. OMGosh can lighting strike twice??? The winner of the Green Home is from Sayreville, NJ. Maybe that is a good sign, Jerzee is on a roll!!! Congrats to Debbie and her family!!!

maria_w_in_nj on June 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm
    • News flash, maria ! Didn't know they had announced the GH winner.
      Sorry, Nebraska–I know you really loved that place…….

LLColeman on June 30, 2011 at 2:16 am
    • I woke up thinking the same thing…Nebraska, sorry, I knew you really wanted that home. :(

Hey I thought that they were picking the winner in August??

maria_w_in_nj on June 30, 2011 at 7:08 am
  2. How exciting! I cannot wait to see what is done inside this home. I am happy to hear Victoria has a somewhat eclectic style will but, also keep with the history of the home:)
    I love Great Danes (other doggies too) and that does look like the same baby that was seen on the blog pictures:):)
    If I am lucky enough to win can he/she? come to visit:):)
    It appears DIY/Blog Cabin has reached out in many new directions with this home-can't wait to see it!
    Nebraska-did you say 7 weeks Ugh!:( Double Ugh!:(

ruffybc on June 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm
  3. Lesser is MORE. :) Ms. Lesser I must say the little bit I have seen of what you have done at this years BC looks very charming. Some very nice bloggers have posted various Facebook links so I saw the ladder hung on a wall that was holding books, the headboard being made from an original fireplace mantel, and the oar Mary mentioned above that was used for the first floor stair case. Were you behind the piano lid shelf in the master bath, and the built-ins in the master bedroom that the two Matts said were the best they had ever worked on? Oh well, guess I will just have to wait to find out. Thanks for all of your creative, and charming touches, BELIEVE me when I say I can hardly wait to SEE them.

Mel on June 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm
    • Could you please share these Facebook links so that the rest of us could see these pictures? Thanks!

P W Brousseau on June 30, 2011 at 9:52 pm
    • I second that!

burnoff on July 1, 2011 at 11:42 am
    • Guys I don't Facebook, so I don't know if I can successfully post this link. I'm going to attempt it, you will need to scroll down through Matty's page and look for his BC posts, videos and pics. If this link doesn't work maybe another blogger that Facebooks can get you to Matty's Facebook wall. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Blashaw/536252

Mel on July 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm
    • I was, it was brought from Upstate NY, where I reside…Victoria

Victoria Lesser on July 1, 2011 at 12:03 pm
    • Ms. Lesser thanks for your reply, I can hardly wait to see the VERY creative master bath shelf. You must feel like an artist awaiting the release of a book, movie or CD. I hope you can feel the attitude of the blog…we are all patiently awaiting your "red carpet" moment, and the "debut" of the inside of this years BC. :) I want to also tell you the entrance bench that Matty built using corbels for legs…you have quite the IMAGINATION , that bench is absolutely charming and welcoming. I'm so eager to see everything you did!

Mel on July 1, 2011 at 4:48 pm
  4. WOW! Golly gee, Wally! Don't know what to say, except thanks, Victoria and CAN'T WAIT to see how you have transformed the interior of this house. Eclectic? Suits me to a T. :)

Dghawk4 on June 29, 2011 at 9:25 pm
  5. Here's an article that provides a few more new insights in the DIY home, and Victoria Lesser's work there:

This is bound to be the best DIY home giveaway yet.

DBCoop on June 29, 2011 at 11:16 pm
    • Good find Coop…

did you notice in the first scene of the video….where the producer is sitting in the kitchen, behind her back there is a chalk board wall, (a little birdie told me it was there) just something I noticed cause I knew there was one in the kitchen.

In the article this was my favorite line…"I believe in spending your money locally, so I spend my money where I work," she says…

YES!! God Bless the USA!!<3

dLphmwth

maria_w_in_nj on June 30, 2011 at 7:06 am
    • That den looked pretty crowded, with all those people working in it and the camara people.. I like the paint color.

vicki_in_Utah on June 30, 2011 at 1:43 pm
    • I love the hallway and how much light comes in from the front window…and the trim around the doors and the windows is just …magnifico! I can't say enough about them…such a beauty she is…

this one is going to be a heart-breaker…

maria_w_in_nj on June 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm
    • You super sleuth, you! Awesome video! Love how my little piece of heaven came together! Thanks, Coop!;)

Debra G. on June 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm
    • Help….someone mentioned a video, I followed DB's link but can't find the video. Like all of us bloggers I'm desperate to see more….help. I'm a complete computer novice and sometimes the obvious eludes me. Oh, by the way my first name is Susan and this wonderful home is in Susan Virginia….can you see where this is leading?!

smokesmom on June 30, 2011 at 2:16 pm
    • Hi Susan, about half way down the page, on the left there is a picture of the very handsome Matt Blashaw it says "Related" ( oooww are we?) and underneath the picture it says "VIDEO: DIY Build' just click on the picture of Matt and that brings up the video…

your not alone, we are all hoping and dreaming as well…

maria_w_in_nj on June 30, 2011 at 3:55 pm
    • Gracias Maria, ahhaaaa.

smokesmom on June 30, 2011 at 4:03 pm
    • Hi Susan. I'm Susan…bet there will be tons of us on here after this gorgeous prize!

redbarnartist on July 1, 2011 at 5:40 am
  6. Can't wait!

MaryPA on June 30, 2011 at 12:09 am
  7. What a great story! I am anxiously waiting for the tour.

boomer on June 30, 2011 at 7:47 am
  8. August 18th! I don't know if I can wait that long lol. Y'all have to give us more sneak peaks. Well you don't have to but I hope you do. I love this home.

funfordot on June 30, 2011 at 9:25 am
  9. I enjoyed taking a look at Victoria Lesser's design statements on her website. Her rooms are open and airy with country charm and the occasional unexpected touch of contemporary thrown in:

I'm looking forward to seeing what she did with the Blog Cabin!

CplusE on June 30, 2011 at 10:34 am
  10. Thank You Mary for sharing Victoria with us! I love her portfolio…so clean, crisp, warm and inviting! I'am sure Ms. Lesser has done a marvelous job! Looking forward to August 18thxD

Dreamgirl03 on June 30, 2011 at 12:26 pm