Feb 15

Cast Your Vote!

Today’s an important day. We launch the People’s Choice vote and let you help us pick products and materials that will be used to remodel DIY Blog Cabin 2010.

First up? The master bathroom. Visit the voting page, make your selections and then pop back here to discuss the possibilities. And if you need a visual reminder, here’s what the space looks like right now:

And while I have you, I want to alert you to a new “rate the rooms” feature. Look at each photo, then tell us exactly how you’d remodel each space. Don’t be shy!

• Posted at 9:33 am on February 2, 2010

1. Woo hoo!!! Today is the day voting starts!!!!!

Lillie 8-) on February 15, 2010 at 1:43 pm
    • Lillie…the voting has already started!!

JeanieM on February 15, 2010 at 1:48 pm
    • I already voted. Just leaving my comments.

Lillie 8-) on February 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm
    • Yes WOO HOO!! It's finally here!!!!

CarrieMiracle on February 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm
    • yes today is the day but it is not a blog cabin. This is a ranch. So they need to rename it the blog ranch.

dakmom on February 15, 2010 at 6:36 pm
    • At least its one story, it will be great for handicap people, like my husband and myself.

m van tubergen on February 24, 2010 at 11:14 pm
  2. Well….. I have never been first at anything so here goes. I would like to see the bath room have the large mirror, no medicine cabinet above the 3 sinks of granite, or something comp. The floor a Moroccan neutral large 16 inch tile, in bath area glass tiles neutrals and charcoal grays. The commode in its own little room shut off from the rest of the room so one can leave the door open to the rest of the bath room to the master room.

George Rollings on February 15, 2010 at 1:44 pm
    • Looking at the floor plans don't think a seperate commode area will work.

Joan_LMT on February 16, 2010 at 11:46 pm
  3. Guess I started before this new thread was posted, my first comments are on the previous thread. This room is definitely in need of some help. Are you ready Bloggers to start the transformation??

JeanieM on February 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm
  4. Well, we can now vote up to 10 times per day. I really liked the voting when it was just once a day.

Lillie 8-) on February 15, 2010 at 1:48 pm
    • I thought it was going to be a 1x a day limited voting but 10 x does give everybody in your house a chance to vote & change their minds too! LOL And if someone feels strongly about something they can use all ten votes and hope it counts too! LOL

CarrieMiracle on February 15, 2010 at 3:42 pm
    • Feel the same way, Lillie 8-. Voting just once a day was enough to vote for. Too Much is Over-Rated. Thanks & Good Luck! Love & Hug's, Susan K Lapp Of Cresskill, N.J. XOXO……<3 Susan94799@aol.com

Susan K Lapp on February 16, 2010 at 3:28 am
  5. voteing 10 times a day is much better then no limit. Just in case you change your mind you can go back and vote differently. Problem is all the choices are great.

vicki in utah on February 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm
  6. The steam shower is a no brainer. As well as the tub and shower bathroom selection.

Love the idea of the copper bath lighting. Wonder if they will carry that through to the bathroom fixtures? Might be a tab much to have copper faucets too.

Had to go with the neutral wall color for the bedroom. I think you can add more accent colors when starting with a neutral pallet.

I was torn between the vessel and undermount sinks. I like the idea of a vessel sink, but I think it might be limiting, elbow room wise. So went with the undermount sink. Especially if they install a beautiful glass bowl.

Happy voting ya'll.

Lillie 8-) on February 15, 2010 at 1:59 pm
    • Lillie…..what is they're not going to enlarge the bathroom? From the current pictures it looks like there is only a shower in there now, if they are not expanding the bathroom, it might be too tight for a bathtub too.

JeanieM on February 15, 2010 at 2:05 pm
    • Sorry…that should say what "if" not is…ready for the typenol already this morning! too excited!!

JeanieM on February 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm
    • There is a voting option for tub and shower. The blueprint shows a separate shower and a separate tub. Not a tub and shower combo. That's the item I'm referring to.

I know I'm so excited I've already posted 5 comments!!! lol

Lillie 8-) on February 15, 2010 at 2:20 pm
    • Good morning Lillie,
      I see that you've had some fast finger this morning. I wish that the questions with room size were at the begining, it would have influenced my first votes. That tub and shower combo will not be large or luxurious according to what I see in the drawing. Also for anyone concerned with HC accessability, the shower only with steam bath would work best.

DGustaf on February 15, 2010 at 2:40 pm
    • I agree with Gustav. I think the shower only option is best. It looks like there would be enough space to add a cabinet for towels, etc. I also like a larger shower than the normal box you get where you can't turn around without brushing the walls. I would probably only use a tub once or twice a year. Everything else looks too crowded. I'm excited about the start of voting, too.
      I like the leapfrog color in the MB. That is close to what I have in ours and it is so warm and relaxing for a bedroom. I'm not usually a big green fan but that pale green is perfect for the MB in my opinion. I'm not much of a beige person. I love color! lol

NancyBee on February 15, 2010 at 3:29 pm
    • Lillie: I've never taken a steam shower, so when I saw the option all I could think of was the inconvenience of not being able to put my makeup on in a steamy room, so I voted for the towel warmer. I wonder if they plan to put in a really high power fan to keep the steam away from the vanity area? I've had the experience of drying off with hot towels and I loved it. I hope that someone with "steam shower" experience will share their perspective; especially someone that needs to use the vanity to apply makeup!:)

cabinNester on February 15, 2010 at 4:37 pm
    • CabinNester never thought about the steam/makeup aspect. Good thinking. I too would much rather have the towel warmer, expecially in upstate cold NY.
      I try to think things through for who ever might win, not just what I would prefer. I TRY! ;-)

Joan_LMT on February 16, 2010 at 11:44 pm
  7. The steam shower was an easy choice. As well as the shower/tub bathroom combo.

Had to go with a neutral wall color for the bedroom. I think you can add more accent colors, as the seasons change, when starting with a neutral color pallet.

I was torn between the vessel and undermount sinks. Love the idea of a vessel sink, but think it might be a bit limiting, elbow room wise. So, I went with the undermount sink.

Love the copper lighting fixtures.

Happy voting ya'll.

Lillie 8-) on February 15, 2010 at 2:05 pm
    • Vessel sinks are fine as long as the vanity has some sort of stone top .

Mr. fix it on February 16, 2010 at 1:57 pm
    • go to a home store and step into a 3 foot shower and see how you feel compared to a 9 foot spacious shower. with benches built in.

lengel on February 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm
  8. I would like to see a heated Toto toilet installed in the master bath. It would be nice if the toilet was in it's own room. You can get a great Toto with all the bells and whistles around $1000. Once you've used a Toto, you'll never want to go back to a regular toilet. Trust me on this!!!

Marble counter tops would be wonderful. Especially in the bathroom. With a beautiful marble or glass undermount sink. Don't want granite in the kitchen and the bathroom.

Heated floors are an absolute must for the entire master bathroom!

I'd like the master bath to have an upscale "spa" look and feel when it's completed. Soothing color pallet and top of the line accessories.

I'm OK with medicine cabinets above the sinks as long as they are mounted flush with the walls and have the look of mirrors. Not the look of an medicine cabinet with a mirror on the front of it. If not medicine cabinets, then provide ample storage space for all the items that "need" to go in a medicine cabinet.

Lillie 8-) on February 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm
    • Lillie we don't have medicine cabinets in our home. Instead the fake top drawer of the vanity we had made like those kitchen ones that open for keeping your sponges, etc. in. This works great for combs, toothpast, tweesers, etc. (medicines are kept in the kitchen or in our closet. We have shelves/drawers unit so we don't have to keep that kind of stuff in the steamy bathroom.)

Joan_LMT on February 16, 2010 at 11:39 pm
    • Toto lovers of the world, unite! We installed the one piece Gwyneth/Ultramax II this summer and absolutely love it! NO plunging! Before Toto we were always plunging. I threw the old plunger away and for several months I didn't even own a plunger. Got one just in case, but no need. This Toto has NO underrim holes to get gross. It has a "cyclone" action that swirls the water around the rim and down. Go to you tube and search for videos. Being one piece there is no yucky stuff to try to clean under the tank. Very quick flush refill, lo-flow, a great height just a hair under ADA which is a great compromise for my husband and myself. Sani gloss finish which I clean with a dilute spray bleach and rinse. I use a very soft scrub brush in between bleach sprays. Easy clean, awesome toilet. I'll never go back! Paid just over $600 for it and it is worth every penny.

Susannamac on February 18, 2010 at 6:03 am
  9. I had no idea that to vote gave one an idea first of where DIY was headed in the design of the M bath R. After looking at their choices I see that my favorite light fixture would be the Jambandi 29 in the Copper Lighting. My favorite sink , Moda East Collection Vessel 39-3/8 x 15- 3/4, sink and wall color the Hopsak, which keep with my original thought of a Moroccan style.

George Rollings on February 15, 2010 at 2:23 pm
  10. I read a comment about under mounted glass bowl sinks, the only improvement here would be LED lighting through the glass bowls; it would look so good.

DGustaf on February 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm
    • Too cool idea about lighting under the glass bowl!!!

Lillie 8-) on February 16, 2010 at 1:17 pm