Feb 16

Choosing the floor plan

Hi Everyone,

Ok, you’ve got a very important choice in front of you. Choosing the floor plan is arguably the most important choice of all. And you’re being asked to choose without knowing much about the location or the lot it will be on. Hmmm. (Commence head scratching.)

A couple of things to consider… (in addition to all the things you are already considering.)
1. Which floor plan will be the most versatile on any type of lot? In any orientation?

2. When considering a floor plan, don’t forget to consider the ambiance or “feeling” that will be created by the layout and flow of rooms. Because at the end of the day, even if you’ve got a room for every need and desire, it won’t matter much if the place feels tight, dark or cramped.

Echoing Ron, please do tell us why you like the floor plan you like. You may have thought of something that someone else didn’t think of, and sway other voters in your direction…and that is precisely the beauty of this model.

That being said, I would like to put in a plug for Smokyview. Honk if you love open floor plans!! This is the queen of light and space. I am also a fan of how the porch and windows are integrated so that from outside, to inside, to outside again it’s almost one continuous space. Plus, of the 3, I think it will offer the best views of the surrounding landscape. For those of you who may be inclined to think that it’s not cozy, I beg to differ. To me the very definition of cozy is being safe and warm and well fed by the fire, while the great outdoors does its thing (you know, rain, snow, wind, stars, flowers blooming, leaves turning…etc.) I think in the Smokyview plan you will be able to feel like you are a part of the surroundings, while still being nestled comfortably in your home.

That’s my $0.02. Thanks for listening. Now get out there and vote! (And don’t forget to vote once each day until 5 p.m. EST on Tuesday.)

Amy

• Posted at 12:50 pm on February 2, 2007

1. I love the Floor Plan for the Smokeyview Retreat. It is open and has the look and feel for me that a Log Cabin should have.

I love the porch as well. If, it were screened in, I feel, it would take away the ambience of feeling free. The beauty of nature would be distorted. Screen in a Patio, but not the Porch.

That is what I feel about the Floor Plan.

C. Starr on February 16, 2007 at 11:05 am
  2. From the available floorplans, I would rank my choices as 1)Greenbriar 2)Trillium 3)Smokyview. However, I continue to vote for the Smokyview because: the only first floor bathroom in the Greenbriar is IN/THROUGH the master bedroom, and I can’t stand the exterior design of the Trillium.

MJ

Mike on February 16, 2007 at 1:21 pm
  3. Trillium continues to be my favorite because of the high ceiling in the living room, the open loft, the master on the second floor with the largest closet, AND it’s the only floor plan with a laundry/mud room. The photo for the blog is of the Trillium and I find it extremely attractive from the the outside. I am disappointed that more viewers don’t see the advantages of the Trillium!

Robyn on February 16, 2007 at 1:46 pm
  4. I love the charm that the Smokyview embodies. The floor plan is truly ideal for its surroundings. The long indigenous incline of the roof adds special character to the floor plan. In addition it would protect the home against high wind conditions. The big picturesque windows would allow me to view the beauty nature displays. The winding porch would offer my husband and myself the luxury of basking comfortably into the evening. I love the open space concept. This opens up the home and creates a feeling of additional space.
    The Briarwood home is lovely, although it tends to remind me of typical home built in a neighborhood. My vote is in……

Victoria on February 16, 2007 at 2:09 pm
  5. I liked the middle design (I forgot the name) but for practical reasons. I figure that a cabin in the mountains is going to be coooooold in the winter and the owners are likely to be weekenders who are gonna arrive late Friday evening and want to be comfortable ASAP. Anything with a high ceiling is going to be expensive to heat but, nore to the point here, it’s also going to take more time for the first floor to get warm. My friends had a weekend house in Woodstock which had a great room. It took like two hours with the heat blasting before you could sit comfortably in the living room. Then the bedrooms upstairs were sweltering.

Without knowing about the HVAC system, that was my vote. However, I do like the aesthetics of Smokeyview better.

Brooklyn Row House on February 16, 2007 at 3:44 pm
  6. I like the Smokeyview the best. The porch is much more visually appealing. It also looks like it gives more outdoor living space with its porch.

In an earlier blog I suggested a Russian Fireplace style to help heat the cabin better. Someone else suggested the Tulikivi BakeOven Fireplace. I’ve since researched those, and they are beautiful. I viewed one that was installed in a cabin in Montana, and it looked like a big boulder, it was truly amazing. Either the Russina masonry fireplace or the Tulikivi would be effecient for heating.

Lori on February 16, 2007 at 4:30 pm
  7. I think that one should also remember where would they be placing their furniture. We have look at a lot of different plans and some plans there is no place for the TV. The plan has to be well designed and functional for the owner.

The Greenbriar plan needs to have a first floor 1/2 bathroom to make it complete.

Because the house is in the mountains the house would also have a basement that will provide additional space.

M Pennock on February 16, 2007 at 4:34 pm
  8. It’s a hard choice, all of the elevations offer something different. I love the look and porch of the Smokeyview, but I don’t like the kitchen placement there. I like the floor plan of the Trillium, but don’t care for the look or feel of that elevation. I choose the Greenbriar because it has the best kitchen plan and a good roof line for snow, but it could use a 1/2 bath on the first floor.

Jadie on February 16, 2007 at 5:41 pm
  9. Echoing my thoughts for a home to be more open, I’d vote on the Smokyview. I’ve been in some cabins that have a very closed in and cold feeling. More open feelings and better light are important to my choice.
    Sandi

Sandi on February 16, 2007 at 6:37 pm
  10. i really like the Trillium floor plan.
    i mean just look at it.
    its got huge rooms and two(2) different porches.
    it has the two big windows on the front/side next to the front porch and chimney.
    ofcourse with the big windows you are looking at MAYBE an expensive replacement if either(or both) get broken, like with the Smokyview FP.
    but unlike the Smokyview you dont have the huge overhang to block access and light to the big window(s)
    the Smokyview FP does have a hugeeee wraparound porch that only wraps half way around but it can be extended(location?)
    but i still like the idea of haveing a front&back porch.
    IF you just absolutly want, the Trillium FPs porch could also be connected(location?)
    depending on the location the Trillium FP would offer great views and warmth/security, but thats just my thinking.

adam on February 16, 2007 at 7:03 pm